PDA

View Full Version : Child with Asthma

junedis
02-05-2008, 07:10 AM
We are going to Disney in June(15-22) and our 6 year daughter has asthma. It has been mostly controlled the past year, but we have had many problems between ages 1-5. I am concerned that the heat and humidity may be a problem. (We are from PA and the humidity is a more controllable factor here.) Any suggestions or tips would be great as we can only go go this time of year due to the fact that I am a teacher .)hanks so much!:mickey:

SodaPopMGK
02-05-2008, 07:54 AM
I have a son who's asthma is always triggered in Disney because of the weather. I have always travelled with a battery operated nebulizer, I find the inhaler with the spacer doesn't work as effectively for him when his attacks are bad, although I always carry it just in case. Also,the First Aid stations have always allowed us to use a room to give him his treatments, which is nice because it's private and nobody is staring at you and it's air conditioned which really helps. Lastly, I have always gone over his plan with the doctor before I leave. I also want to add that my other sons are asthmatic and the weather doesn't affect them at all, so you just don't know until you get there. Have a great trip!

SBETigg
02-05-2008, 08:06 AM
I'm an adult with asthma and I have fewer problems in Disney World, for some reason. Even in hot, humid weather. I take my regular medication and have never had to reach for my rescue inhaler. But this is something that could affect different people differently. My asthma is allergy triggered and I think I'm away from my usual triggers at WDW.

Tinkitude
02-05-2008, 08:41 AM
I would definitely contact your doctor for suggestions. Just be prepared for anything. It will probably depend a lot on what exactly triggers your child's asthma. Take your time in the parks, and roll with however it goes. You'll have a great time.

MartyS
02-05-2008, 08:54 AM
My dd10, when she was younger, had problems with asthma, but it mostly under control with her meds. She has never had a problem at WDW. We always took a nebulizer with us to WDW, usually as carry on. The ONE time we checked it, it somehow got completely disassembled and internal parts broken, then shoved back into our suitcase. We had to get another one. Still worth taking along, just in case, but, take it as carry on luggage.

Disney Lynn
02-05-2008, 09:43 AM
Here are a few more tips (my DD has asthma): the First Aid stations will "hold" medicines for you if it's too hot. (Some of DD's meds were supposed to be kept under 80 degrees- hard to do in FL in the summer). Obviously you want any rescue meds with your DD at all times (which means that either she must carry them herself or each parent needs some- in case one parent goes off to buy something). And always have back-up supplies!

If your child reacts to dust mites- bring her own pillow or an allergen cover & pillowcase to slip over the hotel's pillow. If your child reacts to smoke- check the wind direction before you find a spot to watch any fireworks shows. Also, if artificial fog is a trigger- don't sit in the front rows of shows that have fog (like It's Tough to be a Bug).

If she rides Mission Space, let her know that my DD says the sensation of lift-off is similar to the constricting/tightening of an asthma attack. She panicked initially- until she realized that she really wasn't starting to close up. Of course, she can't understand why WDW thinks it's entertaining to make a ride that simulates an asthma episode! Note that this ride does not cause or trigger asthma; it's simply a similar sensation in your chest.

LauraF
02-05-2008, 10:39 AM
I have asthma and I since cold is one of my triggers, WDW is great for me! Just stay away from the perfume shop in the France pavillion in Epcot . . .

Even through the hotels had switched to non-smoking for my last trip, I still informed the hotel prior to check-in to ensure I would get a room where somebody hadn't been caught smoking.

I didn't have to reach for my resuce inhaler once, though I did hold my breath during the stick bug segment of Bug's Life. If I hadn't I would have been in trouble,

ibelieveindisneymagic
02-06-2008, 09:46 AM
Both DD & I have asthma, and in general we've done very well at WDW.

Once thing to be aware of is the scents, the only place where I had trouble was in France at Epoct, I think it was due to the perfume shop and Morocco...insense maybe? All I do know is that it was an allergic reaction to something that set my asthma off. In both cases, I quickly recovered, and security saw me sitting on a bench and not looking too good I guess, they came over and checked up on us!

Because our asthma is made worse by allergies, we take the inhaler, and some chewable benedryl into the parks with us, just in case!

Disney Lynn
02-06-2008, 11:42 AM
Good advice! Also, the last shop in Norway- with perfumes- I just hold my breath and zip to the door! And for those really sensitive- Soarin' has evergreen and orange scents, Mickey's Philharmagic has apple pie/cinnamon plus the popping champagne bottles triggered something in us (dust/mold?), so we're careful there. And at it's Tough to be a Bug- not only the stink bug, but also the can of bug spray. I even hold my breath during the scent scene in Imagination! Some scents bother us, yet we're fine with others- and I have no idea why!

MsMin
02-06-2008, 01:22 PM
My dd is now 25 and has had asthma since she was 1. We had trouble in WDW in Dec. 06 but I think it was the combination of the weather and fragrance. It was the Canadian shop that had candles etc. that sent her into respiratory distress. Of course she had left the inhaler in the room and I had to get a w/c to get her back to the resort and a good shot of caffeine and lots of A/C. We were leaving to go home so she didn't want to go to the hospital.
She has difficulty w/ the humidity in winter more than summer. I don't know if when an advancing cold front has a drop in barometric pressure or what that causes the added stress. Just like we experienced this weekend w/ a front advancing the moist air is pulled up from the gulf and it's the high humidity and warm air (80 degrees) that stresses her. She doesn't have the same problem in summer.
She can't stand some vibrations and I remember she complained about some in WDW but I don't remember which ones I'll have to check. At home she can't tolerate the vacuum.
I've used a trick since she was little and had asked the Dr. and he agreed it was a good measure. I use a syllable test. If my daughter can't say mama and gasps between the two syllables like ma(gasp)ma.... she gets my full and immediate attention. The reason I say it is b/c she tends to hide her distress b/c she is embarrassed and doesn't want to interfere w/ everyones fun. In emergency situations I use caffeine to help stimulate the lung.
Also check with her dr. about anti histamines. Most don't recommend their use w/ asthma but my dr. said that histamine production (a runny nose) can lead to bigger problems like a quick lung infection and a serious attack. So ask if you can use an anti histamine when traveling to with the first sign of a runny nose or sniffle to help prevent a more serious problem.
My dd is allergic to milk but only in its liquid form not all dairy, pecan and oak pollen dust and pet dander. She does bring her own pillow and her inhaler but we've managed w/o the nebulizer-- she hates it.
Good luck, I think the summer is a great time for asthmatics-- as far as weather effects.

g8rgirl29
04-23-2008, 07:08 PM
Here are a few more tips (my DD has asthma): the First Aid stations will "hold" medicines for you if it's too hot. (Some of DD's meds were supposed to be kept under 80 degrees- hard to do in FL in the summer). Obviously you want any rescue meds with your DD at all times (which means that either she must carry them herself or each parent needs some- in case one parent goes off to buy something). And always have back-up supplies!

Will the First Aid Stations also hold your nebulizer?? That is a pretty heavy item to be hauling around the MK and our 4yo hasn't been able to master the pulmicort flexhaler(dry particles so cant use the AeroChamber).

nursienurse4
05-22-2008, 07:43 PM
We will be there the same time as you 11th to 21st of June... My 5yo DD also has asthma. Mostly allergy and exercise are her triggers but heat and humidity make it worse. I always purchase one of the mister fans (with ice water in it) to help with keeping her cool worth the $17, she loves it too, but I also have to buy DS one too!

I was able to call reservations and they will do a specialty cleaning of your room to REALLY remove all the dust and will also clean with only vinegar and water if regular cleaners/disinfectants are a problem for you. My DD HATES her Albuterol rescue inhaler (the taste) and would just as soon sit in air conditioning with a cold drink and take a rest because she knows when she starts coughing, she can't breathe and her chest hurts. Good luck.