PDA

View Full Version : WDW in my Ethics Class

TinkiTime1989
02-04-2008, 04:39 PM
In my Ethics class today we were talking about a Ski Lodge Development originally planned by Disney in the late 1960s. The professor asked who had been to WDW or Disneyland and then asked us what came to mind when you thought of those parks. The first thing that was said was "crowded". He then went into a spiel about how crowded the parks always are and how you have to wait 2 or 3 hours in line to get on a ride and how terrible it would have been if Disney had destroyed the mountains to create another theme-park like destination blah blah blah (I sat there thinking when did you go!? Must have been during peak season if it was that bad...I go in the middle of the summer and it's not even that bad...) The girl next to me then whispered "you don't have to wait that long if you use FASTPASS!" lol. That brightened my day a bit. :mickey:

AbeeNormal
02-04-2008, 05:00 PM
Unfortunatly ther's always at least one in every crowd. Oh-well at least we know better. :)

PAYROLL PRINCESS
02-04-2008, 05:02 PM
I don't think I would have been able to keep my mouth shut. I would have had to give the teacher an education!

DisneyFreak23
02-04-2008, 05:22 PM
I know i would have gone off and asked just about everything about their experience. I would have then explained what disney really is and stands for:cloud9: i have a big mouth, and i know i cant keep it shut when it comes to anything Disney:mickey:

GoinGoofyPlanninThisTrip
02-04-2008, 06:21 PM
Another example of at least two students being smarter than the teacher. If he can't get his facts straight about Disney makes you wonder what else he doesn't know. He probably thinks it's unethical for Disney to employ hundreds of thousands of people worldwide too.

mulderxcoltrane
02-04-2008, 06:39 PM
In my Ethics class today we were talking about a Ski Lodge Development originally planned by Disney in the late 1960s. The professor asked who had been to WDW or Disneyland and then asked us what came to mind when you thought of those parks. The first thing that was said was "crowded". He then went into a spiel about how crowded the parks always are and how you have to wait 2 or 3 hours in line to get on a ride and how terrible it would have been if Disney had destroyed the mountains to create another theme-park like destination blah blah blah (I sat there thinking when did you go!? Must have been during peak season if it was that bad...I go in the middle of the summer and it's not even that bad...) The girl next to me then whispered "you don't have to wait that long if you use FASTPASS!" lol. That brightened my day a bit. :mickey:

He very well could have been speaking about DL - at which crowds are consistently higher b/c there's only 2 parks between which people can travel.

In addition - it is a college classroom, where different views are allowed to be discussed and not everyone has to agree.

Just my 2 cents...if it's even worth that in today's economy. :)

CaptainJessicaSparrow
02-04-2008, 10:58 PM
Disney is a key discussion and comparison point for many of my classes at my college. Most of our teachers have had excellent careers with them before retiring, developing shows and attractions.

It can be a positive discussion or a negative one (because let's face it - Disney is by no means perfect).

But Universal and Sea World are also key companies as well.

It might because we are the #1 hospitality school in the nation though, seeing as how we are located in the heart of it all with sponsorship from Anheiser-Busch, Universal, and Disney as well as Darden.

Ian
02-07-2008, 08:17 AM
Not a surprising point of view from a university professor. Anti-corporation, anti-development ... that's pretty much par for the course.

mulderxcoltrane
02-07-2008, 01:00 PM
Not a surprising point of view from a university professor. Anti-corporation, anti-development ... that's pretty much par for the course.

Then I'm not on par with other university faculty.

Tygger7
02-07-2008, 01:22 PM
Okay, now I remember why I dropped out of college after one quarter. :mickey: Unfortunatley, a large percentage (but no means all) of professors feel they are experts on everything, but lack actual "real world" experience. My uncle is a Chemistry and Physics professor, and while he is very "book" smart, he doesn't function or even really exist in the real world. I'm with some of the other posters....I would have started a huge debate with this professor and called him out on his Disney claims. And yes, that's why I dropped out and went to a technical school instead.... :party:

IloveDisney71
02-07-2008, 01:29 PM
I don't think I would have been able to keep my mouth shut. I would have had to give the teacher an education!

Ditto. I would have had to share my experiences during over 20 trips to WDW during many different months (seasons). I have never waited 2 or 3 hours for a ride - ever. The longest times I can recall are almost and hour & a 1/2 for EE (sneak preview) and Soarin (without a fast pass).

I've never visited DL so I can't comment on those wait times.