PDA

View Full Version : What's with texting everywhere?

Aurora
02-04-2008, 03:12 PM
Being the old fogey that I am, I want to know what is with these young whippersnappers who have cell phones and can't go to the restroom without texting their friends?

I've seen it everywhere -- family parties, movies, standing in grocery lines, even -- I SWEAR -- in church!!

OK, I'm really not that old and I have texting on my own phone, but I'm flabbergasted that there doesn't seem to be any etiquette on this!

What the heck goes on here?

thrillme
02-04-2008, 03:38 PM
Personally it makes me NUTZ. There was a time when teens hogged the phone to call their friends. Then they got their own phone. Now they spend countless hours texting their friend many of whom they are sitting right next to in a theater or resturant.

My DS 12 hates it. If he gets a text he calls the person. He figures it's a lot "Easier" to call them and exchange info than to "text" it. If they're in a position that they can't take a phone call...they shouldn't be texting to begin with.

Tinkerfreak
02-04-2008, 03:47 PM
DH, myself and both DD's all have cell phones and we do text each other at times. DH is in construction and I don't always want to bother him with a call so I text him and he knows that it is not urgent and will call me when he gets a free minute. We do teach our daughters proper cell phone etiquette. They know that they are not to use the phones in a restaurant or just because they are bored waiting in line and want to text or talk to someone. If there is nobody else around it is ok but I teach them that when you are with someone they deserve your full attention and that it is rude to be texting when other people are around. They are usually pretty good about it. Sometimes a friend will text them and I know they want to answer but they always either wait until we get home or ask my permission.

AZ Disney
02-04-2008, 04:39 PM
Well, I never understood texting until about a week ago when I started. It is quite addicting and really is so much easier to communicate with family when they aren't readily available all the time. My example is that my DH is an airline pilot and when he lands he may not have time to call, but he can surely turn it on and get a quick message from us or send one to us before he pushes back again.

Jimenyfan
02-04-2008, 05:08 PM
I've been bitten by the text messaging bug, my husband and I text or email and my son texts us both. The other day I was in work and got a text from my son, I started to answer and thought what the heck am I doing he's in school. Of course then I thought what the heck is he doing"he's in school". Needless to say we have a conversation that night about when to text and when not to.

Strmchsr
02-04-2008, 05:10 PM
really is so much easier to communicate with family when they aren't readily available all the time. My example is that my DH is an airline pilot and when he lands he may not have time to call, but he can surely turn it on and get a quick message from us or send one to us before he pushes back again.

That's the whole purpose of texting. I don't think anyone has a complaint about that. I think the OP's problem (and what I find ridiculous as well) is texting just because you can when you could accomplish the same thing with a quick call. That said, many teens are on a short leash with their cell phone minutes, but an unlimited texting plan can cost $5/month or less, so texting may actually be their best way to communicate when they can't use up a lot of minutes on the cell plan.

mrp4352
02-04-2008, 05:12 PM
I think the key with texting is the appropriateness of the time and place when you send one.

I'm helping with the youth musical at church and our director had to threaten to take up cell phones because kids were texting during rehearsal. Then, they wondered why we would get frustrated because we couldn't get their attention...

tinkwest
02-04-2008, 05:22 PM
If I need to get a non-urgent message to DD at school or DS at work I text. When they are free to check the message it is a lot quicker to read than dialing up voicemail and listening to a verbal message.

My daughter's texting used to drive me crazy until I discovered that there are times when it is more convenient. If I am on a break at work I can send off a quick text to someone without letting everyone around me in on the conversation.

And, as another poster mentioned, on our plan we can text all we want without counting towards minutes used.

Emily
02-04-2008, 07:52 PM
I've seen it everywhere -- family parties, movies, standing in grocery lines, even -- I SWEAR -- in church!!

I just had to laugh at this because not too long ago I got a text message from a very good friend of mine while she was in church. Her age? 45. ;)

I picked on her about it, though, don't worry. She said they had a different pastor that day and he was really boring. :sleepin: (No excuse, but still I thought it was kind of funny!)

Jeff
02-04-2008, 08:22 PM
even -- I SWEAR -- in church!!

Kids, and some adults, have been writing notes in Church for years and years. Texting is the modern equivalent. I don't see the big deal. :confused:

conorsmom2000
02-04-2008, 10:29 PM
DH is in construction and I don't always want to bother him with a call so I text him and he knows that it is not urgent and will call me when he gets a free minute.
My husband is an electrician and I text him for the same reasons - it makes life a lot easier when I need to get a message to him, but it's not urgent enough to call him.

My family and I are all big texters - we probably wouldn't keep in touch half as much if it weren't for texting - it's just more convenient, especially for sending out messages to a few at once. But, being respectful is equally important - as is being safe. I ignore any texts when driving, until I can pull over.

Tink&Goofy
02-04-2008, 10:55 PM
Being the old fogey that I am, I want to know what is with these young whippersnappers who have cell phones and can't go to the restroom without texting their friends?

Well I would much rather they are texting while in the restroom, than talking on their cell phones, which I find highly offensive!!!

I understand the logic of texting, but thats rarely how its being used. Even my DD16 doesn't understand all the texting. She tells me, "if I have that much to say, I'll just call them!"

jennbunn
02-05-2008, 02:57 AM
dh and i text alot throughout the day. for us with his job it is easier then calling. however.... at my job i have to tell a few co workers not to text when they are on the sales floor. that is getting out of control.

DisneyDudet
02-05-2008, 04:00 AM
I am 24 and I text a heck of a lot! With my friends and even my mother! My cousin was texting at the beginning of church the other day, but he stopped. He does it when we eat out and stuff too. I do sometimes when its just family. When I'm out with my friends, we don't care. If I'm in a meeting or something, I won't do it, but my mom does!!!! How dare she!

I don't like people who use their cell phones while working on the floor (my unit). I text, behind the desk where you can't see me. I get so tired of nurses and aides talking on their cell phones near patients' rooms! I had a bad aide that would talk while doing his work, then when he got in trouble, he used our companion phones (cell type phones we carry around instead of overhead pages) to call his friends and talk to them in patients' rooms. Needless to say, he no longer works here.

I know when its appropriate, and when its not. I wish other young people did. Cells are just so common now!

Ever wonder how we survived without them?

vizsla
02-05-2008, 05:43 AM
DW and I text each other when we are at work. Sometimes it is something important and if we are in a meeting you don't want to be answering and talking on your cellphone. DD also texts us to let us know where she is at which is a good thing because we always know where she and her friends are and I can also check on her by the GPS locator option we have on her phone.

prprincess
02-05-2008, 08:44 AM
I personally refuse to do it, and all of my friends make fun of me...mind you they're all in their 20s and I'm in my mid-30s. But I think it's because my preferred mode of communication is the telephone. I'd rather give you a call and talk to you, than text, IM, or email. Plus, I think it's way quicker. My head works faster than my hands, so I'm sure if I were to text, it would be frustrating.

Diznee4Me
02-05-2008, 09:41 AM
Not so much a complaint about texting (even though my DD texts ALOT!) but more about that stupid clicking sounds when texting. :mad:

All quiet in the living room, watching a movie or reading when all of a sudden, from the couch in the corner that quiet, incessant clicking/tapping. Sounds like a mouse nibbling on cheese. click, click, click, click, click......:D

ncscgirl2005
02-05-2008, 10:38 AM
I've been bitten by the text messaging bug, my husband and I text or email and my son texts us both.

Same here. I was against it at first and now I text a lot more.

That said, many teens are on a short leash with their cell phone minutes, but an unlimited texting plan can cost $5/month or less, so texting may actually be their best way to communicate when they can't use up a lot of minutes on the cell plan.

This is true. My cousins all have a limited amt of minutes to use but have unlimited text messaging so needless to say, they text until they can call someone after 9 and weekends.

DH doesn't get good reception in his building but he can receive texts with no problem so thats how we communicate during the day if we need to talk.

I have a problem with people that text while they are supposed to be taking my order at a fast food place, waiting on me at a restuarant or ringing me up at the grocery store. It's incredible how they will make you wait so that they can finish their message. How rude!

Marker
02-05-2008, 11:09 AM
I don't get it. I don't understand what the big deal is. Personally, I think there are far too many people being "offended" by far too many things.

A quick text message is in my opinion much less invasive that a phone conversation. If we're eating dinner and someone gets a message and shoot off a quick reply, it really doesn't have to interupt the conversation.

I'm much less bothered by a text message than by someone wearing headphones and listening to music while you're talking to them, and that happens a lot too.

As for texting, or talking, from the bathroom... what difference does it make to the person on the other end where I'm standing, or sitting. How could it possibly have any real effect?

I guess I'm just too much of a "go with the flow" kind of personality to let things like this bother me. And I also don't equate disagreeing with me, or having different tastes and opinions as being offensive.

But that's just me, and I'm probably wrong.

AvonleaCF
02-05-2008, 11:14 AM
As with everything, there's a time and place. I have no problems with texting in general, it's just when it's done inappropriately. I swear, if I see one more person texting while driving... :thedolls:

disneydeb
02-05-2008, 11:17 AM
I'm 51. The only time I text on a regular basis is when I am at Disney and need to contact my children (age now 19 nd 21). Once I texted my hubby an "I love you" just because I knew he would not be expecting it. He texted back " I love you , too.":cloud9: :thumbsup:

Marker
02-05-2008, 11:25 AM
As with everything, there's a time and place. I have no problems with texting in general, it's just when it's done inappropriately. I swear, if I see one more person texting while driving... :thedolls:

I will agree with that. Texting while driving is dangerous. For that matter, texting while walking can be a problem too. Although, some folks can pretty effectively text without looking, but for those who have to look at what they're typing, they can definitely cause traffic jams in hallways, on stairs, etc.

My entire family uses text messages.

RedheadWriter
02-05-2008, 01:20 PM
I text all day. I have unlimited texting and I will do about 2500 a month combined (in and out). i love it. It's quiet. no one knows what I am saying. I have a sidekick with the full qwerty keyboard o it is easy for me.
Long live texting!!! I love to be in instant communication with people at all times! :thumbsup:

BelleLovesTheBeast
02-05-2008, 01:34 PM
I personally like to text. I hate to talk on the phone! Especially to my friends that don't shut up (one will keep you on the phone for 2 hours). I usually text if I want to know what time someone wants to meet up. A question that can be answered without a conversation. However, there is a time and place for everything. I hate it when people text or talk on the phone in places that is inappropriate or disturbs others. I'd much rather someone being texting at a hockey game than talking on their phone. I hate having to hear someones stupid conversation. Texting at least keeps it to themselves.

Scar
02-05-2008, 03:08 PM
I have never texted in my life, and I don't ever expect to. I don't even like to e-mail, pretty much just use it for my job... and only when necessary. Come to think it, I don't even like to talk on the phone, if I use 30 mins a month on my cell, that's a lot.

Man, I wish I lived in the 19th Century. ;)

On time I was at a family gathering and my wife asked her 15 year old nephew to go upstairs and get his cousin to come down. He goes, "I'll just text him." :shake:

Marker
02-05-2008, 03:37 PM
I have never texted in my life, and I don't ever expect to.

Why?

Man, I wish I lived in the 19th Century. ;)

Outhouses, Catalogs for toilet paper, Oil lamps for light, pumps for water, horses for travel, wood stoves for cooking and heat, North and South conflict, Europeans vs. Native Americans, Laundry done by hand, clothes made by hand, grow your own food, 19th century doctors and medicine, No Disney, No Pizza, No Air Conditioning, No TV, No Radio, No refrigeration........ I'm not so sure.

He goes, "I'll just text him." :shake:

And that's a bad thing because..... (just curious, to each his own)

ncscgirl2005
02-05-2008, 03:47 PM
I swear, if I see one more person texting while driving... :thedolls:

:mad::mad:

Same here. That urks me so bad.

Scar
02-05-2008, 04:22 PM
Why?I suppose I just don't have any reason to. :shrug:

Outhouses, Catalogs for toilet paper, Oil lamps for light, pumps for water, horses for travel, wood stoves for cooking and heat, North and South conflict, Europeans vs. Native Americans, Laundry done by hand, clothes made by hand, grow your own food, 19th century doctors and medicine, No Disney, No Pizza, No Air Conditioning, No TV, No Radio, No refrigeration........ I'm not so sure. Well, even though I'm a Civil War Reenactor, I definitely would not have wanted to fight in the war, but there were 96 other years in the 19th century. I live in NJ so the Indians wouldn't have been an issue. And you could certainly buy food and clothes in the 19th century, you could even hire someone to wash your clothes if you were rich enough. Everything else I'm totally cool with. I even still have a functioning outhouse in my backyard, seriously.

And that's a bad thing because..... (just curious, to each his own)Laziness, he's overweight as it is and could use the exercise, as could many kids these days.

DisneyDog
02-05-2008, 04:31 PM
DH and I text each other a lot throughout the day. He works on the phone, and can be difficult to reach. So we shoot each other mesages whenever we need to tell each other something.

Also, DH teaches drum lessons in our basement. Sometimes the lessons run late and the next student shows up and is hanging out in our living room. So, my new thing is to text him at the end of the 1/2 hour so his lessons don't run late. It works like a charm!!

jillluvsdisney
02-05-2008, 06:57 PM
My niece is hearing impared. Her and her other deaf or hearing impared friends all text each other. They don't even use their phones to make calls at all. If my sister wants to get a hold of Lindsay, she texts her too. That and IMing have been wonderful for these girls.

Ed
02-06-2008, 11:34 AM
I work with a much younger guy who texts constantly while he's supposed to be working. We were recently working together on a project that involved a lot of physical labor and intense concentration, and he was constantly stopping every two or three minutes to read and send texts. Finally, I asked to see his phone. He handed it to me, and I laid it on a table and held a 5 lb hammer over it, as if I was going to smash it. :badpc:

He got the message, and it definitely was NOT a text message. :nono:

There's a time and a place for everything. Like all other technology, texting serves a useful purpose when used appropriately, but when it interferes with your job or your relationships it can be harmful as well.

Ian
02-06-2008, 01:09 PM
You know I recognize that I am actually now old enough to "not understand this young generation." I don't really get texting ... I don't text ... have no interest in texting ... I just don't have that much to say to anyone and no desire to be in constant communication with people.

Although I do use IM, which I suppose is similar to a degree.

But look ... expecting people not to be rude is NOT (despite what some people would have you believe) old-fashioned.

As long as you're doing it in the proper place at the proper time ... fine. Text your heart out if you want to. Me, personally? I'd rather get my face out of a teeny-tiny computer screen and actually speak to people face-to-face, but hey ... that's me.

But do not, under any circumstances, text while you're at church, at the movies, or at the Candlelight Processional at Epcot. You may think it's not disruptive or not hurting anyone, but you're wrong. I can guarantee you the people around you are annoyed and also it's just plain disrespectful.

I will never, under any circumstnaces, allow myself to be convinced that disrespect is okay.

2Epcot
02-06-2008, 01:43 PM
I don't think I've ever been bothered by anyone texting unless they are sitting next to me in a dark theater, and that hasn't happened very often.

I've only been texting about a year and a half. I don't text much at all. Most of the texting is with my wife ... She can't talk on the phone very much at work as I can. The other times I'm texting with coworkers and close friends just to exchange a brief message.

There are lots of times when a call isn't neccessary. When I just need to say one thing or remind someone of something I will often send a text.

Recently I was texting with a friend whose going through a rough time and is sort of in seclusion ... He isn't really ready to talk about things. I've texted him a few times to check up on him. The text is more instant then a email, but less invasive then a phone call. If a person doesn't want to talk so much it is an easier way to communicate.

BelleLovesTheBeast
02-06-2008, 03:12 PM
Let me say that there is a time and place for everything. With that being said....so many people don't care. If they are going to be rude I'd much rather have someone texting at the movies, hockey game, a speaking engagement, restaurant, etc. than talking on the phone. Oh....and with the phone silenced. I hate to hear peoples personal conversations when I'm out. So many people forget that others are hearing their conversation and don't realize how loud they are talking.