PDA

View Full Version : Our first Family DLR trip booked!

Mickey'sGirl
02-04-2008, 12:48 PM
Well -- we have finally done it!:mickey: At the advice of you kind souls, we have booked 3 nights at the Disneyland Hotel, obtained 4 Day Parkhoppers and secured one Early Morning voucher for each of us....and to top it off ... purchased one dinner for July 26 at Goofy's (for the character experience for the kids, and in celebration of DH's 41st birthday that day).

We also booked our flights last night....so...it looks like everything's a go! I am sure that I have a billion questions, and we appreciate any comments or suggestions that you are willing to pass along! :thumbsup: I have read two planning books so far -- but still am wondering about what our game plans should consist of.

We are me, DH, DS10 and DS4 (who will likely be 46" by the time we visit).

My first question is concerning Fantasmic. There is a very expensive "dessert and VIP viewing" package available. Anyone ever do this, and if so, was it worth it?

Thanks for your help! :mickey::mickey:

NotaGeek
02-04-2008, 02:03 PM
Do Steakhouse 55 (Granville's) in the Disneyland Hotel for breakfast one day ... the BEST breakfast at Disneyland! AND, one other day do The Carnation Cafe on Main Street for breakfast ... it's a lovely way to start the day. You can do priority dining for both.

Fantasmic! is great and there have been awesome reviews for the Riverside priority seating, you can read a good trip report HERE (http://intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=119050)that describes the experience.

tinkwest
02-04-2008, 03:02 PM
In the summer time, for first time or not-very-often visitors, I would definitely suggest setting aside money to book VIP Fantasmic! viewing seats. With Disneyland being crowded to begin with, trying to find good spots for viewing without saving a place for hours prior to show time can be a next to impossible and nerve racking experience.

Mickey'sGirl
02-04-2008, 03:08 PM
In the summer time, for first time or not-very-often visitors, I would definitely suggest setting aside money to book VIP Fantasmic! viewing seats. With Disneyland being crowded to begin with, trying to find good spots for viewing without saving a place for hours prior to show time can be a next to impossible and nerve racking experience.
That's what I thought. Both boys are Autistic, and waiting is generally not a good thing.... I might just do it. Thanks!

Melanie
02-04-2008, 05:10 PM
Do the Fantasmic! seating Jen - I doubt you will regret it!

How exciting your trip is booked. Sounds like good plans you've already made.

Aisling
02-04-2008, 08:08 PM
I have to agree on the Fantasmic! seating. It is SOOOOO worth it.
I hope your DH has a fun birthday dinner! He needs to remember to wear his 'It's my birthday" pin all day.
Also, your boys should really like A Bugs Land in CA, they can get all wet in the water features - something my son thinks is awesome.
Have a super great trip!

Carol
02-10-2008, 10:06 AM
I would definitely spend the money for the private area. The Disneyland version of Fantasmic! is a must see.

Have a wonderful time planning your adventure. :balloon:

HndrdPrcnt
02-23-2008, 07:57 PM
Jenn - Well, I am going to have to be the odd-man-out and give you opposing advice to what everyone else is saying. Personally, I would not do the VERY overpriced Fantsmic package.

Being that I worked at DL for 7+ years and have been to see Fantasmic probably more than 50 times, I have a system that works for us in getting great seating. It does require that you sit for quite some time, but if you wait to do Fantasmic on Monday when we will be there with you, then Brian and I (or Jen and I) can do the waiting while the rest of you spend some addtl. time looking around.

It's up to you, but to me it is just a waste of money that could be better spent.

The one thing that I would recommend is the "A Walk in Walt's Footsteps" tour. It isn't cheap. However, Disney Visa card holders get a 20% discount.

NotaGeek
02-23-2008, 10:30 PM
Jenn - Well, I am going to have to be the odd-man-out and give you opposing advice to what everyone else is saying. Personally, I would not do the VERY overpriced Fantsmic package.

Being that I worked at DL for 7+ years and have been to see Fantasmic probably more than 50 times, I have a system that works for us in getting great seating. It does require that you sit for quite some time, but if you wait to do Fantasmic on Monday when we will be there with you, then Brian and I (or Jen and I) can do the waiting while the rest of you spend some addtl. time looking around.

It's up to you, but to me it is just a waste of money that could be better spent.

The one thing that I would recommend is the "A Walk in Walt's Footsteps" tour. It isn't cheap. However, Disney Visa card holders get a 20% discount.

I am sure it would be a waste of money to see Fantasmic! from the reserved seating area for someone that worked at DL for 7 years ... for for a family that is experiencing their first trip to the original Park, it would be the opportunity to see the best version of Fantasmic with a yummy dessert box ... and be treated like a VIP. If you can afford it, it's worth the money 100%. I HATE waiting for 2 hours for good seats in the summer, or be that family that has 2 people saving space for the other 10 people that are out riding the rides ... Fantasmic crowds in the summer are CRAZY. I have seen Fantasmic both ways, and to be honest I have no desire to ever sit and wait for the show again. I like being able to show up, sit in a chair with unobstructed views ... it's worth the money.

Carol
03-03-2008, 08:38 AM
It does require that you sit for quite some timeThat's exactly why I feel the special seating is worth it. I cannot be bothered to sit and wait.

That's a waste to me. :D

:twocents:

BrerGnat
03-10-2008, 08:15 PM
How exciting for you guys!

I wanted to let you know that I have an autistic 3.5 year old as well. We practically LIVE at DL, since we are so close. If you need any advice/suggestions regarding the autism issue (lines, shows, tips, etc) and DL, feel free to ask (or PM me).

I know you are seasoned WDW vets, but DL is a bit different (in a good way). You are going to have a blast!

I would do the Fantasmic dessert thing. Sure, it's $$$$, but with two autistic boys, a 2 hour wait is not in the cards, I assume. ;) It's a special treat. Don't do it for the desserts you get (although it's good), do it for the convenience, SEATS and time you will save.

What you should be concerned about, coming from Ontario, is the time change. Fantasmic is VERY late at night. The "early" showing is at 9pm, the later one is at 10:30. I would schedule that a couple days into your trip, lest you find yourself with 2 boys fast asleep right at showtime.

If you have any other specific questions, or want some suggestions for how to tackle the parks in the summer crowds, ask away! I've been there every day of the week, every month of the year, so I am familiar with the ebb and flow of things.

Bugsmom
03-26-2008, 08:27 AM
We too have a child on the spectrum. Following this too for more advice.

Mickey'sGirl
04-21-2008, 10:26 AM
We're under the 100 day mark now... and I'm itching to make some concrete arrangements! (It's a 60 day window at DLR, right?) We're almost definitely going to do the Fantasmic reserved seating, and dinner at Goofy's for DH's birthday (or should we consider somewhere else?).

The boys and I were talking, and wondering if anyone has any opinions on a character breakfast for our last morning? They really enjoy Stitch at the Poly at WDW...so something in that flavour would be great.

We're getting pretty excited... and looking forward to it all! Four days of fun and family at Walt's place... can't wait!

Natalie -- thanks for your experienced advice! I would love to hear more of your suggestions!

NotaGeek
04-21-2008, 12:02 PM
Goofy's Kitchen is the best Character Breakfast, with great interaction for the kids -- it's a very loud environment, so depending on your kid(s) it might not be the best option.

The PCH Grill at the Paradise Pier has a GREAT breakfast with Lilo/Stitch/Minnie Mouse that is more low-key, but they do have interactive time with the kids where they learn to hula, do a limbo etc.

Both are pricey and about $30 per adult.