PDA

View Full Version : First Site By Pioneer Hall--Same Campers?

RunawayRun
02-04-2008, 12:05 PM
Hi Everyone!

I just returned from a quick one night stay at the Fort Wilderness cabins. I noticed that the first site in Loop 100 by Pioneer Hall (the site on the left as you are walking from the Trading Post) was very decorated for Mardi Gras. It was decorated in a very similar way for Christmas. Does anyone know if the same campers stay that entire time? I have heard of people staying for months at a time, which is so cool, so I was just wondering if that was the case. They always have things so nicely decorated at their campsite. Do a lot of campers do that....stay for months at a time? That sounds like a wonderful retirement plan to me! :)

RocklandRVers
02-05-2008, 09:14 AM
There used to be something called "Winter Settler's Rates" during the traditionally off peak times after Christmas. Not sure if that is still around. Anyway I have heard that yes indeed several campers stay there for extended periods.

Its funny you mention this as a retirement plan. That is exactly what my wife and I discussed when we first visited in April 2003. She and I had been to Disney back in the late 1980s and stayed in off site hotels but this was the first time with our son (12 at the time) and our first Disney camping trip. On our last night following the campfire show, my son took his bike for one last ride while the wife and I drove around in the golf cart. We ended up by Pioneer Hall and over by Clementine Beach (Bay Lake). As we sat and reminisced about the best family vacation we had every enjoyed, our thoughts turned to retiring someday and being "snow birds" coming to Disney over the winter months. We thought about working part time just to pay for our site fee. She said she would clean the bathrooms if she could stay here. I chimed in how I could work security or even drive a bus. Since then we still have this dream in our real retirement plans. I cannot think of a better way to stay young than at Disney.

NJ Camper
02-08-2008, 12:55 PM
This is probably alot of the campers dreams i'm only a 41 year old child but have allready thought about this it would truely be a dream come true for me as well :mickey:

RunawayRun
02-08-2008, 02:06 PM
Thank you for the info!! :)

Jasper
02-08-2008, 02:17 PM
There used to be something called "Winter Settler's Rates" during the traditionally off peak times after Christmas. Not sure if that is still around. Anyway I have heard that yes indeed several campers stay there for extended periods.

Its funny you mention this as a retirement plan. That is exactly what my wife and I discussed when we first visited in April 2003. She and I had been to Disney back in the late 1980s and stayed in off site hotels but this was the first time with our son (12 at the time) and our first Disney camping trip. On our last night following the campfire show, my son took his bike for one last ride while the wife and I drove around in the golf cart. We ended up by Pioneer Hall and over by Clementine Beach (Bay Lake). As we sat and reminisced about the best family vacation we had every enjoyed, our thoughts turned to retiring someday and being "snow birds" coming to Disney over the winter months. We thought about working part time just to pay for our site fee. She said she would clean the bathrooms if she could stay here. I chimed in how I could work security or even drive a bus. Since then we still have this dream in our real retirement plans. I cannot think of a better way to stay young than at Disney.

I don't have any information about any kind of extended rates. However about 5 or 6 years ago there was an article in our local newspaper about a local couple who did exactly what you described; they lived at the campgrounds during the winter and worked part time for Disney to help offset the cost of their site. Unfortunately the husband in that couple has since passed away and the wife no longer travels.

Camping Mom
02-09-2008, 03:57 PM
We stayed in Ft. Wilderness over Christmas in the 400 loop. Three weeks later, my husband had to attend a conference held at the Coronado Springs. (We stayed at the Carribean for the first time and it was very nice.)

One of these conference nights we drove thru Ft. W. Of the 12 loops we drove thru (starting with 100 loop and fanning out), there were only SIX empty sites. Many of the sites still had the same RV's in them as Christmas so we knew some of the same folks were still there.

WE talked about working at Disney and staying in our TT one day, too!! Looks like we all want the same thing...Ft. Wilderness' laid back wonderful atmosphere and a little piece of the MOUSE. :mjump: