PDA

View Full Version : Victora & Albert's - worth the $$$?

Belle619
02-04-2008, 10:23 AM
Hi all,

My sister and I are planning a trip in April and she is trying to convince me that we should make reservations at V & A's to celebrate her new job.

We understand that it will be EXPENSIVE for us to dine there, but I'm just concerned about the quality - will it be worth the money that we will spend or is it just the name/status that draws people in? :eat:

Thanks in advance!!!

SurferStitch
02-04-2008, 10:55 AM
Yes, V&A is very expensive (even with our DDE 20% discount we spent around $450 including tip for the two of us to dine there in December).

Was it worth it?

YES!!!

Food is amazing, unique, and prepared like no other place we ever dine at (and we like to dine at fine dining establishments). I ate my very first oyster EVER in December at V&A, and it was delicious, and I SWORE I would never eat one! If you like beef, spend the extra money to upgrade to the Kobe beef. I have NEVER tasted filet like it....it spoiled me.

I always discover a new wine there, and go crazy tracking it down at home sometimes.

Service is second to none. You are treated like true royalty there.

Let them know you are celebrating something special. Ladies always get a long stemmed red rose, but we also get something special when it's an anniversary or birthday (this last time we were given a special dessert to take along with us).

It's not something you do everyday. It's a special meal, and as long as you're ready for the sticker shock, it's also worth every penny.

Oh, get the Kona Chocolate Souffle, or the Bailey's Chocolate Chip Souffle for dessert (they vary)......pure heaven. :cloud9:

KAT1811
02-04-2008, 11:53 AM
For us it is not worth it, not for the money, as I have no problem spending $500 on dinner, just because it isn't something we would enjoy. DH and I much prefer a more lively atmosphere with great food, great wine, and great views while dining in WDW. I'm sure V&A is lovely for dinner but none of the menus I have seen pique my curiosity. DH and I would rather have a great dinner at CG with our children and a bottle of great wine, Opus One just came to mind. :cloud9: If I were you I would weigh the financial costs and the opportunity costs of dining at V&A and see where that leads you. You would have to bring the proper clothing, spend the time getting ready, and be prepared to do whatever after dinner activities you have planned dressed up. We like going right to the CG from the parks enjoying a great dinner and then going on to our nightly activities without missing a beat. Maybe another idea you and your sister might enjoy is a showing of La Nouba coupled with a great dinner. The show was wonderful when we saw it! Whatever you decide I'm sure you'll have a great night! Congrats to your sister and her new job!

Kairi_7378
02-04-2008, 09:17 PM
"Is it worth it" is one of the hardest questions to answer here on Intercot. I had two coworkers dine at V&A's on their honeymoons, about a week apart. One couple loved the experience, and said that it was one of the best meals of their lives. They are foodies. The other couple, more steak and potatoes type, hated the whole experience. They couldn't see what the hype was about. I think the answer lies in your tastes, and if you want to spend that much for a meal.
Congrats to your sister on her new job!

Natazu
02-04-2008, 09:21 PM
There's not a better dining experience anywhere in the area. Every aspect of gourmet dining is observed. It's worth every penny from the food, to the service - pure relaxation and indulgence.

Polynesian Dweller
02-04-2008, 09:32 PM
Quality isn't an issue in the decision. It is and will be very high. As others have said, the issues are how dressed up to you want to be because you will have to be for this restaurant. That's the main reason we don't have on our list now. We want a more casual experience and not to be encumbered with the formal wear after dinner is over. However, if we had a really special occasion to celebrate, this would be the place.

garymacd
02-04-2008, 09:53 PM
We loved it. We are not foodies, but we do enjoy a good meal and a great selection of wines.

For special occasions, I don't think you can beat V & A's. Spend the money. New jobs or 25th anniversaries don't come along every day.

Jared
02-04-2008, 09:55 PM
A few people have already explained the dilemma well. Like Jym said, Victoria & Albert's offers the best fine dining experience in the area, but not everybody is looking for that experience.

Somebody mentioned wanting a livelier atmosphere. For her, I'd suggest California Grill, which is a phenomenal restaurant without the frills and pretension of Victoria & Albert's.

For those looking for a classic upscale dinner, Victoria & Albert's is worth the money. The dining room is quiet and elegant, and you do have to dress accordingly. Everything about the restaurant oozes luxury, and you will get exactly what you pay for.

Mary M
02-04-2008, 10:29 PM
I had the best meal I've ever had in my life at V&A. I'm looking forward to hopefully going again sometime.

If you really enjoy good food, it's exceptional, and definitely worth it.

pox24
02-05-2008, 09:59 AM
No.

DisneyLove
02-05-2008, 10:42 AM
I've eaten here twice, and both times it was the most amazing meal I've ever eaten. So good. Previous posters had it right, though. If you're looking for a lively dinner with great views, then maybe this isn't the best choice. Also, this is a long dinner- 2 1/2 to 3 hours. It didn't feel that long to me, but I know people who said it dragged on. I guess it depends on what sort of dining experience you are looking for. Personally, I love it and would absolutely do it. It's one of the few times I ever get to be dressed up, so that's a big plus for me. The food and service is amazing. Just some of my thoughts.