PDA

View Full Version : Where to stay with three or four kids?

azcavalier
02-04-2008, 10:10 AM
So, many of the WDW resorts only allow four people per room. In two weeks, my youngest will be three, and is no longer considered an infant, and so we cannot book just one room. I know that there are a few resorts that do have rooms that sleep five with pull-out furniture. However, the real question comes when we decide to go with my brother-in-law and his family. He has four kids, all aged between 12-3. So where do six people stay? The kids are too young to have their own room we think, and besides, I don't believe that any of the resorts have those hotel rooms that have the interior connecting doors (but we've only stayed at the All-Star resorts). If they did THAT, then it would be expensive, but doable.

Any suggestions? We would rather not try to rent a Grand Villa that sleeps 12 and is bigger than our house. What other options are there for a family of six with small kids?

biodtl
02-04-2008, 10:24 AM
The All-Stars have connecting rooms (and are the cheapest option), but I'm not sure if you can be guaranteed to get them. We didn't have a problem getting them in Oct, but it wasn't a "must have" so it wouldn't have been a problem if we didn't.

All Star Music has suites which sleep 6.

Cabins at Ft. WIlderness also sleep 6.

aurorafan
02-04-2008, 11:20 AM
We stayed at POR in Oct. and had adjoining rooms which were great :). Also the Alligator Bayou section of POR has trundle beds in some rooms, so those rooms sleep 5.

I don't know for sure, but I'm guessing that many of the resorts have adjoining rooms--it's pretty common industry wide.

TheMartellFamily
02-04-2008, 11:27 AM
POP has adjoining rooms. but if it is the group of you then you will need at least three rooms. There are other options such as the Family suites, or a cabin at Ft wilderness. But even with these you will need two rooms for the two families.

Cinderelley
02-04-2008, 01:07 PM
I have a family of 6. If it's within the budget, I would highly recommend the Ft. Wilderness cabins. The kids have their own bedroom, and Mom and Dad can sleep on the murphy bed in the living room. Thus they can have some quiet time to themselves when the kids have gone to bed. If you're looking for a place that you can all share, you should look into the DVC units. Some of them have 3-bedroom places.

We have gotten connecting rooms at Pop Century before. That's another option that we've found to be quite satisfactory, but it won't have a kitchen like the cabins do.

CleveSJM
02-04-2008, 01:30 PM
The room-only price matrix (http://www.intercot.com/resorts/disney/rates/default.asp)is pretty handy for this.

We are a family of 6 (4 kids between 16-4) and usually on a tight budget.

Breaks down like this (assuming value season, the only time to go. Other times the costs are still relative):

2 Value Rooms (Sleeps 8): (not guaranteed connecting but NEVER heard of anyone not getting them) $164 (best deal, 4 beds, 2 bathrooms)

POR Trundle (Sleeps 5): $149

Family Suite - Music (Sleeps 6): $184 (included fridge but only 2 beds, queen and queen pullout)

FW Cabin (Sleeps 6): $255

2 connecting Moderates (Sleeps 8): $298

Moderate Jr. Suite (Sleeps 6): $340

OKW or SS 2 Bedroom Villa (Sleeps 8): $530

azcavalier
02-04-2008, 03:31 PM
Thanks guys. I have never seen any rooms at the value resorts that actually connect INSIDE the room. The all have doors that kind of face each other outside, but you obviously can't leave those open at night. Where are there connecting rooms? Which resort? Or is it building specific (say, the Toy Story rooms in Movies)?

CleveSJM
02-04-2008, 03:36 PM
Thanks guys. I have never seen any rooms at the value resorts that actually connect INSIDE the room. The all have doors that kind of face each other outside, but you obviously can't leave those open at night. Where are there connecting rooms? Which resort? Or is it building specific (say, the Toy Story rooms in Movies)?

I've seen them in every Value building at ASMovies and PC. The interconnect (http://www.intercot.com/resorts/disney/allstarmusic/default.asp) door is back by the bathrooms. See the Family Suite interconnect? That's what a regular connector looks like just with two beds and bath. I think everyroom except the rooms at the very ends of the halls connect. You must have always had an end room. Very hard not to get a room that could connect... :confused:

Kidsmom
02-04-2008, 03:37 PM
We are a family of six (4-9yrs. old last trip) and we stay at CBR. They Guarantee interior connecting rooms. I believe this is the only resort on the property that does this.

It worked great. After the kids were asleep we closed part way the door and enjoyed wine and tv without disturbing them. When they got up the put on the tv and ate cerel we brought before we got up.

We are now DVC owners and are looking forward to our first 2-bedroom vacation in April!

diz_girl
02-04-2008, 03:45 PM
Most or all WDW resorts have adjoining rooms. They can accommodate those requests, but can't guarantee them, as it all depends on which rooms are available when you check-in.

For six people, your best bet might be the FW cabins. Since most of your children are small, you will probably spend more of your time at the MK than at any other park and the FW is the closest place that sleeps six. Although you have to take the internal bus to get to the dock, the MK and the CR (and the monorail) are just a short boat ride away. Plus, you get a full kitchen and the resort is relaxing.

No one else has mentioned Coronado Springs. A junior Suite at Coronado Springs sleeps six and has two baths. It costs about the same as a garden room at the poly ($340 in value season).

Another great, but more expensive option are suites at deluxe resorts. The Wilderness Lodge has a deluxe room that sleeps six. They are around $500 during value season, so both families can get deluxe rooms. A 2br villa at the Villas at Wilderness Lodge is $610 in value season and those units sleep eight, with two bathrooms and a full kitchen and dining room, so your children get their own bedroom like at FW.

When you go without your BIL and need only a room for 5, then try the Poly. All regular rooms at the Poly sleep five (the suites can sleep more). You get two queens and a daybed.

If you have less flexibility with your budget, then try the Alligator Bayou at POR or the All Star Suites.

Good luck.

felix18
02-04-2008, 03:48 PM
I just want to let you know that as a family of 6 we stayed at the All-Star Movies in the Toy Story section and had interconnecting rooms. The door was near the bathroom area and it worked out very well for us as we had 4 double beds and 2 bathrooms. We have also stayed in the mansion section of POR with interconnecting rooms, the door being more to the front of the room near the windows. Hope this will help you to have a great vacation :mickey:

CleveSJM
02-04-2008, 03:53 PM
We are a family of six (4-9yrs. old last trip) and we stay at CBR. They Guarantee interior connecting rooms. I believe this is the only resort on the property that does this.

A junior Suite at Coronado Springs sleeps six and has two baths. It costs about the same as a garden room at the poly ($340 in value season)...

I should have priced those in my previous post.

2 connecting Moderates (Sleeps 8): $298

Moderate Jr. Suite (Sleeps 6): $340

On a budget, the 2 connecting Values is about the best way to go.

TheMartellFamily
02-05-2008, 12:12 AM
Yup Pop has interconnecting rooms that was in the wall in between the bathroom wall and the TV and dresser. They are within the rooms and never have to go outside if you do not want to.

magicjasb
02-05-2008, 12:42 PM
We too are a family of six, 4 Children ages 2-9. Up until this point, we have been fortunate to stay at Deluxe resorts due to Value season, good deals, and business trips. The Poly and WL have become our favorite resorts. Unfortunately, this is the last trip we can stay there, as my youngest will be 3 next time. Renting two rooms, or a suite there, would be out of budget. It is too bad that there is not some way to stay in deluxe resorts, without staying in DVC (as renting a two bedroom villa would also be expensive), for a family of six. Anyone who has been in this situation with suggestions?:mickey:

diz_girl
02-05-2008, 03:04 PM
It is too bad that there is not some way to stay in deluxe resorts, without staying in DVC (as renting a two bedroom villa would also be expensive), for a family of six. Anyone who has been in this situation with suggestions?:mickey:

Since you seem to like to stay near the Magic Kingdom, then your best bet is the FW cabins. You are a boat ride away from the Magic Kingdom, Wilderness Lodge, Contemporary and the Monorail.

Like Cinderelley mentioned, the kids will have their own BR, with a full bed and bunk beds, and you'll have the Murphy bed in the living area. You'll also have a full kitchen and a dining table, which helps when you have children. You can rent a golf cart to get around if you don't feel like taking the shuttle. Plus, FW has the Trail's End Buffeteria, which is probably the best meal value in WDW, and the Chip & Dale campfire and sing-a-long, followed by a movie.