PDA

View Full Version : Venting about fairness

MickeyChick
02-03-2008, 01:43 PM
Argh. Not sure this is the best place to post this but I need to get this off my chest.

Just got back from seven days at the world. Everywhere we went we saw large groups with 1 person on an ECV move to the front of lines-- for busses and for rides.

Now, I have a bad ankle with pins and screws holding it on. By the end of the day at the parks, I was barely able to move, but I wanted to go to Disney so I dealt with it and took lots of meds. I understand everyone deserves a chance at the magic of a trip to Disney, but I don't get the preferential treatment.

Standing in a long line for It's a Small World, I watched one older (very heavyset) woman on an ECV go to the front of the line with FOURTEEN people in tow go directly to the front of the line. Then while we were on the ride, we got stuck in one spot for awhile and the CM later told me it was because they had to load someone from an ECV into a boat.

Leaving the Magic Kindgom one night, the line for the bus back to Pop literally filled the entire chain maze and went all the way back to the gates of the park. And if you've stayed at Pop, you know that the bus stop is the very last one. Still people on ECVs skipped the hundreds of people waiting and got on the next available bus. I was furious. I would have loved to have stayed in the park to the very last minute, but I wanted to decrease my wait time for a bus.

I know federal regs say that disabled people have to be loaded into busses before other people get on the ride or on the bus, but why doesn't it work so that the disabled party gets in the handicapped or disabled line and the rest of their party gets in the main line. When the ECV person's other party members reach the point in the line where they are about to load, the ECV person then gets loaded first onto that bus or that ride? It just seems more fair to me.

I was there with two preschoolers who hated the wait and I dealt with the crying and the tugging. No one likes to wait and I'm just vexed that the system is so unfair to everyone.

BelleLovesTheBeast
02-03-2008, 01:55 PM
I don't have a problem with them getting on rides ahead of me. Sometimes it's hard on the person to wait in lines and they want to ride the rides with the rest of their party. 4 people skipping the line for medical reasons is fine with me.

disneylovinmom
02-03-2008, 02:21 PM
I agree, it is frustrating. I just don't think there is any other way that Disney could do it without seeming that they are discriminating against people with disabilities. Let us just be thankful that we do not have to use the wheelchairs or scooters, and remember for those who do, they deserve to live a good life and have fun too.:mickey:

TheRustyScupper
02-03-2008, 02:33 PM
1) I don't have a problem with disability folks getting front-of-line.
2) But, I do have a problem with ECV's and big families.
3) Up to four (3 + ECV person) would be fine.
4) Larger groups should have some folks wait.
5) To me, that is fair.
6) As for the bus line, I don't see why they can't wait.
7) ECV's have a comfortable seat.

NOTE; For your ankle, I suggest you getting a Guest Assistant Card ("GAC"). You can wait in line as usual, but near the end of the day you can use it to save waiting time.

tinkerbell98
02-03-2008, 03:06 PM
I guess my question would be, does it happen that often with such a large party that it really disrupts all trips?! I guess if I were the one in the ECV then I would want my friends/relatives whom ever I came with to be able to ride with me. Life is not always fair but think about how unfair it is to them:(

pjbs35a
02-03-2008, 03:13 PM
Please refer to the link below for a recent thread concerning this same subject.

Similar Thread (http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?p=1528776#post1528776)

Thank you for being a part of INTERCOT