PDA

View Full Version : Crazy Hot Dog Question

daparish
02-02-2008, 09:55 PM
Please help me settle a debate with DH. He thinks most people do not eat ketchup on their hotdog. He thinks putting ketchup on a hot dog is disgusting and I think he is just plain weird. I do not put ketchup if I eat chili on my hot dog but if I am not eating chili I put ketchup and mustard. Another thing that really gets to him is if I put jelly on my toast while eating eggs. All of this from a man who puts ketchup on his beef stew (but never on his hot dog):confused:.

Jeff
02-02-2008, 10:08 PM
My family all put ketchup and mustard.

SAHDad
02-02-2008, 10:10 PM
It varies. For example, in Chicago, you actually may not be able to get ketchup for your hot dog, though you can find mustard, onions, etc.

Wiki lists a defunct survey that had about 20% of Americans putting ketchup on their dogs. Generally, I either have chili or ketchup, mustard and relish.

Marker
02-02-2008, 10:24 PM
Ketchup on a hot dog --- No Problem.
Ketchup in Chili ---- preferably not.
Ketchup in Stew ---- ewwww
Ketchup on Eggs --- No
Kethup coating the top of a Meat Loaf -- Yes.
Ketchup on a burger -- sure
Ketchup with fries -- almost required

The "right" way to fix a hot dog --- Whatever tastes good to you.
Best ketchup in the world - my late mother & late grandmother's home-made..... mmmmmm
My wife likes to dip potato chips in Ketchup.
If you look up Ketchup on Wikipedia, it shows a picture of a hot dog with ketchup on it.
Jelly on toast ---- No problem

kakn7294
02-02-2008, 10:26 PM
Our hot dogs are served with one of the 3 combos:

1 - ketchup and mustard
2 - chili and / or cheese
3 - sauerkraut

Why does Scott think that jelly on toast with eggs is weird? :confused:

ibelieveindisneymagic
02-02-2008, 11:10 PM
DH and I differ on this as well. He is of the thought that ketchup on hot dogs is just wrong...he can't tell me why, or give any good reason, but according to him, it is just wrong.

I fall into the ketchup on hot dogs (and pretty much everything else) camp...I load my hot dog up...ketchup, relish, mustard, onions and tomato :eat:

chrisb26
02-02-2008, 11:43 PM
Well being from Chicago I shouldn't admit this but I do put Ketchup on my Hot Dogs :blush:

On occasion I also put Jelly on my Toast.

tinksmom02
02-02-2008, 11:56 PM
I eat my hot dogs topped with ketchup. Unless the hot dog has sauerkraut on it, then I eat it plain (with sauerkraut, duh!).

I like ketchup on hot dogs, burgers, steak sandwiches, and fries. That's pretty much it.

DH makes fun of me for eating hot dogs with ketchup, he says that's the Irish way. :confused:

By the way, DD5 dips her (raw) carrots in ketchup. And her steak (I did, too, as a kid). And pretty much everything else.

PirateLover
02-03-2008, 12:57 AM
I always put ketchup on my hot dog! In fact 9/10 it's the only condiment I use. The usual toppings I see around here include ketchup and yellow mustard, honey mustard, relish, chili and cheese, or cooked in beer and sauerkraut.

ljv1975
02-03-2008, 01:06 AM
I use ketchup and mustard.

However if it is a corn dog I do not use ketchup and just dip in lots and lots of mustard!

Sylvia
02-03-2008, 01:19 AM
Yellow mustard and sweet relish on a hot dog

Ketchup and sweet relish on a burger

Ketchup, fried onions and sweet relish on a cheese steak

Ketchup on fries, except Chick-fil-a waffle fries

Butter and jelly/jam/preserves on toast

Ketchup on eggs

etc., etc., etc.

hoop de do
02-03-2008, 09:24 AM
I put ketchup, mustard, ketchup,onions,ketchup,pickles,ketchup,cheese,ketc hup,sauerkraut,ketchup,hot pepper sauce,ketchup,salt and pepper and a little ketchup on top. :eat:

Briansmom
02-03-2008, 09:56 AM
Well, in NC, the 'official' way to eat a hotdog is with

Mustard, onions, chili and slaw....

But since I am originally from Florida, I have learned to eat it this way, but usually add KETCHUP!! :thumbsup:

DisneyFreak23
02-03-2008, 10:07 AM
i do put ketchup and mustard n my hot dog, though i gave up hot dogs after i found out what they were made of. :ack:

Mickey052501
02-03-2008, 10:44 AM
Well I like Ketchup on my hotdog and my husband thinks it is strange. He always asks, "Do you put ketchup on your bologna?" I say no I put mustard on my bologna. But I do put ketchup on my kielbasa and my eggs. I have also been known to put mustard, onions and meat sauce on my hotdogs in which case I do not use ketchup. I also like mustard and kraut minus the ketchup. I also like jelly on my toast when I eat eggs. I guess it just comes down to what you like!!!

DizneyRox
02-03-2008, 11:21 AM
Never catsup on a hot dog, I won't even serve it with catsup to tell you the truth. Oh, and you don't grill hot dogs either, you boil them.

When I have a cook out, I cook burgers, steak and chicken, no hot dogs. For a party with hot dogs they are boiled. Never hot dogs and hamburgers at the same time at my house.

BTW, a hodog is best served with mustard, onion and some type of a meat sauce. You can put kraut on it if you want, but not with the meat sauce.

Marker
02-03-2008, 11:40 AM
Oh, and you don't grill hot dogs either

OH YES I DO!!!!

In my opinion, hot dogs are much better grilled than boiled. And slightly blackened on the outside too.

conorsmom2000
02-03-2008, 12:52 PM
I don't think it's weird to put Ketchup on a hot dog at all, though, I haven't done it since I was a kid. (and as a kid I also did put ketchup on steak! :D ) As an adult, just mustard for me! Now I have sudden urge to run into NYC for a hot dog!! :D

ps: :secret: My whole family puts ketchup on Mac & Cheese.....we never knew until we were adults that people would find this gross! :confused: But, it's the only way all of us can eat it! My husband can't even look at it! :D But, then again, I think ketchup on eggs is gross....

BelleLovesTheBeast
02-03-2008, 01:36 PM
No ketchup here!

I put mustard or other toppings on mine.

I don't put ketchup on anything actually. It is one of the only things I don't like. I only use ketchup to make BBQ sauce.

BrerGnat
02-03-2008, 02:15 PM
OH YES I DO!!!!

In my opinion, hot dogs are much better grilled than boiled. And slightly blackened on the outside too.

Ditto THAT!

I can't get on board with ANY sort of "boiled meat". :sick:

RedheadWriter
02-03-2008, 02:39 PM
Ketchup and mustard girl here!:mickey:

DisneyTwinsMommy
02-03-2008, 02:46 PM
I am so sorry, but I think your DH is 100% correct...

You do NOT put ketchup on a hot dog, only mustard...

You also do not put jelly on toast while eating eggs... (jelly on toast with no eggs is acceptable...)

You can tell your DH that there is at least one person with him!

:)

murphy1
02-03-2008, 03:07 PM
Ditto THAT!

We grill ours too! I like mustard and/or chili on mine. We also like the Ball Park Turkey franks.

daparish
02-03-2008, 05:06 PM
Why does Scott think that jelly on toast with eggs is weird? :confused:

Kathy,
What can I say but he is weird. All of this from a man who will open a can of carrots and put mayo on top and eat. I do have to admit that I pretty much ate ketchup on everthing as a child. My daddy drew the line when I tipped my watermeleon in it. I am a little better now but still eat it on my red beans, scrambled eggs and fried chicken.

AbeeNormal
02-03-2008, 05:54 PM
I think everyone should put what they like. But, I hate to say it I also get wierded out by ketchup on a hotdog, for me it's mustard, onions, & sweet relish. I guess that's why they make chocolate & vanilla ice-cream then there's always something for everone.

P.S. Ketchup on eggs " :sick: ".

J9
02-03-2008, 06:45 PM
I do not put ketchup or mustard (or anything else) on my hotdogs. In fact I don't put ketchup on ANYTHING. It's so nasty.

I don't care if people do put ketchup on things like hotdogs or eggs or whatever. But a SUPER PET PEEVE is when people put ketchup on mac and cheese. that is just disgusting to me!!!

J9
02-03-2008, 06:48 PM
OH YES I DO!!!!

no No No NO!

You don't grill OR boil hotdogs!

You MICROWAVE them!!!!!

(I'm not joking.)

kakn7294
02-03-2008, 08:00 PM
I forgot to add that we will only use Heinz ketchup - we absolutely refuse to eat any other brand. And we microwave or grill our hot dogs too.

BelleandtheBeast
02-03-2008, 08:03 PM
I put ketchup and cheese on mine, but it really just depends on where people are from. In Chicago ketchup is a big no no and can't even be found around a hot dog/ :mickey:

CubsWest
02-04-2008, 09:55 AM
Does anyone remember in "The Enforcer", Harry Callahan (Clint Eastwood) chastizing his new partner, Kate Moore (Tyne Daly) for putting ketchup on a hot dog?

Advnt05
02-04-2008, 10:47 AM
Ketchup, mustard and pickle relish here. I will also do kraut when the mood hits. Not much of a chili man. I also think grilled dogs are better than boiled.

I've been working for years to perfect a "buffalo dog". The general premise is that you fry the dog, put it on Texas Toast with buffalo wing sauce. Can't excatly work out the frying part. Trying to get a light batter on it.

2Epcot
02-04-2008, 12:25 PM
I don't eat hotdogs very much now as I did when I was a kid .... When I do eat them, they are grilled or from our famous Pink's Hotdogs here in Hollywood. I always use ketchup and mustard at home, maybe some relish if they are from Pinks.

murphy1
02-04-2008, 01:05 PM
I forgot to add that we will only use Heinz ketchup - we absolutely refuse to eat any other brand. And we microwave or grill our hot dogs too.

We LOVE Heinz!!! Nothing else in our house. Oh, I put Tabasco on my hot dog too. I can't eat fries without ketchup. This conversation is so funny! Oh, we eat ketchup on grits here, too (just kidding, now that's gross!)

murphy1
02-04-2008, 01:08 PM
I don't eat hotdogs very much now as I did when I was a kid .... When I do eat them, they are grilled or from our famous Pink's Hotdogs here in Hollywood. I always use ketchup and mustard at home, maybe some relish if they are from Pinks.

Hoping to get to Pinks someday, have heard lots good about it.

PirateLover
02-04-2008, 01:11 PM
My favorite ketchup is Hunt's. It's thicker and in my opinion has more flavor than Heinz. I like them both grilled and boiled. Boiling makes them so nice and plump and juicy, but I also love that fresh off the grill taste. :number1:

SBETigg
02-04-2008, 01:15 PM
In NYC and Chicago, I think they look at you funny if you want ketchup on your hot dog. Anywhere else, it seems to be fine. I like ketchup on mine, but I also go with just mustard on occasion. Grilled, steamed, boiled, any way to cook them is fine by me.

And I do like jelly on my toast even when I'm eating toast with eggs. But not if I'm having a poached egg on top of my toast or a breakfast sandwich type thing, that would be weird for me.

MNNHFLTX
02-04-2008, 03:01 PM
I've been putting ketchup on hot dogs since I was a kid. But then again, I used to put ketchup on my bologna sandwiches too. :D

What's so weird about putting jelly on toast? Isn't that what jelly is for?

Marilyn Michetti
02-04-2008, 04:33 PM
Oh no........

Grill the dogs till they're burned OR

Eat them steamed from a corner cart in Philly in the winter.

Either way, put the original yellow mustard just along one side of the bun, and some onions on the other side.:D

Dakota Rose
02-04-2008, 05:55 PM
Oh my gosh! We're married to the same man!

He refuses to put ketchup on his hot dog and also says it's disgusting. I think he's just plain wacky.

And, we can only buy heinz ketchup too. I don't disagree with him on that one though.

Sylvia
02-04-2008, 10:40 PM
Eat them steamed from a corner cart in Philly in the winter.

Funny you should mention this. When I was a kid, and South Street in Philly was completely different than it is today, my father and I had a weekly tradition. We went to the Woolworth's at 5th and South to shop (pick up whatever my mother needed that week) and we always stopped at Lenny's Hot Dog Cart on the corner of Passyunk and South. The hot dogs were steamed, and they were so good. :thumbsup:

DisneyDudet
02-05-2008, 05:17 AM
OH YES I DO!!!!

Most def! I eat mine with katsup, mustard, and onions. I will eat it without onions, but thats it. If its a chilidog, chili, cheese and onions.

The best hot dogs are at WDW, hands down!

Corndogs... ONLY with mustard.

AvonleaCF
02-05-2008, 11:53 AM
I didn't realize there was much hot dog etiquette.

I prefer mine with just ketchup and raw diced onions.

I've never had a chili dog. The idea of meat on top of meat grosses me out.

And ketchup on eggs is a must!

But ketchup on mac'n cheese? That's the weirded thing I've ever heard! Also a co-worker puts ketchup on pizza. Ew!

JanetMegan
02-05-2008, 12:44 PM
I like it on hot dogs and some fries but that's about it.

Oh my best buddy likes jelly on eggs. Apple jelly. Big nasty piles of apple jelly.

tinkerbell04
02-05-2008, 02:22 PM
Ditto THAT!

Double ditto! I don't eat them unless they are off of the grill, and it is ketchup for me :)

ncscgirl2005
02-05-2008, 03:58 PM
Hotdog: Ketchup and Mustard
Chili Dog: Onions, Mustard, Chili, and Slaw

DH is from NYC and he thinks it's crazy to put ketchup on hotdogs. He said all you need is mustard.

I love a BURNT hotdog off the charcoal grill but I will eat them any kind of way (except cold)

Marker
02-05-2008, 04:32 PM
Ok, I have a question for the ketchup haters. For those who say that ketchup on a hot dog is "gross", "weird", "disgusting", or not "supposed" to be there......

Is your decision based on the fact that you've tried it, tasted it and didn't like it? OR is your decision based on what someone said, or what you've been told that's the way it's "supposed" to be?

DisFan01
02-05-2008, 04:54 PM
Ok, I have a question for the ketchup haters. For those who say that ketchup on a hot dog is "gross", "weird", "disgusting", or not "supposed" to be there......

Is your decision based on the fact that you've tried it, tasted it and didn't like it? OR is your decision based on what someone said, or what you've been told that's the way it's "supposed" to be?

Good question. I like ketchup, so I can't answer...but that is a good question. Many people say they don't like stuff (including me:secret:), just because of what I grew up with, or tried when I was younger. :sick:

Ed
02-05-2008, 04:55 PM
Grilled, slightly blackened;
When too lazy to uncover the gas grill, I do them on a George Foreman grill;
Brown mustard;
Onion;
Pickle relish;
Occasionally sauerkraut.

No ketchup on dogs. :nono:
Potato rolls preferred.
And must be served with baked beans. :tasty:

Oh, and I'm one of those weirdos who MUST have ketchup on my scrambled eggs. :thumbsup:

Dang.... now I'm hungry. Break out the grill and the Sabbretts!

Not2Loud
02-05-2008, 05:07 PM
Chili, cheese, onions

Mustard, onions, relish

Mustard, cheese

Ketchup and mustard

Those are the ways I typically eat hotdogs. I prefer them off the grill, or from the toaster oven. I do not like them boiled.

DW on the otherhand will eat them from the grill, oven, boiled, microwave, etc. She also puts mayo on them...don't get that one.

Heinz is the ketchup of choice in in our home.

jillluvsdisney
02-05-2008, 06:54 PM
Hot dogs grilled, mustard and relish for me. If I am at Miller Park in Milwaukee then I also like sauerkraut and "secret stadium sauce". This goes for bratwurst as well.

I always put ketchup on scrambled eggs and I also put it on mac n cheese.

2GOO-FEE
02-05-2008, 07:47 PM
Love Hot Dogs with Ketchup and cheese only unless it is a chili dog then Chili/cheese. Do love grilled better then boiled.

Things that I eat Ketchup on is Meat Loaf, Fries, Hot Dogs, although I have eaten Ketchup on eggs I did not like it very much. Eggs are better with Salsa or hot sauce.

tinkerbell04
02-05-2008, 08:10 PM
Heinz is the ketchup of choice in in our home.

Us too! No only is it preferred, it is the OLNY kind I will buy!! :mickey:

Only my DD eats ketchup on her eggs, but she also eats it on mac and cheese and sometimes, she dips her pizza in it too :)

Jessie
02-05-2008, 08:15 PM
Ketchup and mustard on dogs here. It's the only thing I like on my hot dogs.

Mufasa
02-05-2008, 09:46 PM
The history and food science behind the development of modern ketchup and why Heinz in particular became so dominant and popular is interesting.

I remember an article by Malcolm Gladwell (the author of the books Blink and the Tipping Point) that ran in the New Yorker a few years ago that looked into this.

Food science in general is pretty fascinating and only just being studied in detail now, especially in trying to understand how people really taste things.

Modern ketchup came about from a debate over the safety of sodium benzoate as a food preservative. Up until then tomato ketchups were were usually made with unripe tomatoes and were watery and thin with little vinegar.

Heinz countered the trend- by controlling the production of tomatoes he was able to use ripe tomatoes, more tomato solids and by increasing the vinegar content to prevent spoilage, Heinz stumbled upon an interesting side effect- a food that stimulated all five fundamental tastes in a balanced way: salty, sweet, sour, bitter and umami. (umami is best described as being savory)

The tomato solids added umami, and adding more vinegar more than doubled the acidity so it tasted more sour. By eliminating sodium benzoate ketchup in turn became a lot sweeter. All along there was always a salty and bitter component so by accident Heinz created this magic formula which stimulated all of the taste receptors at once.

There aren't many foods that can do that.

Let's also consider ketchup's dominant users- kids. Small children have a tendency to be neophobic, especially when it comes to trying new tastes. Some of that might be evolutionary- a survival instinct almost derived from days of the hunter/gatherers where you stuck with the familiar to stay alive.

What does a kid do when they encounter a new strange food? Probably want to add ketchup to it. But why? Because it is so balanced across the taste spectrum it makes new foods familiar by subduing some of the more prominent flavors- basically smoothing them out on the palate.

That is often the primary criticism of those who scoff at the idea of adding ketchup to something. Ketchup effectively masks the underlying flavor peaks and valleys so critics will argue that you really don't experience the real flavors of the food you're eating.

disneydrmr
02-06-2008, 03:05 PM
This thread has made me chuckle.

I don't eat hot dogs too often.. but when I do I either boil them, grill them or microwave them. I eat them with relish, I eat them with mustard. I eat them with ketchup. I eat them with chili and cheese. I'm not too picky. My favorite way is to wrap cheese around them and put them in a bun. Zap'em in the microwave for about 40 seconds so the doggie is warm and the cheese is melted. I also like to take those Pillsbury croissant dough thingys and I'll put cheese on them and wrap the dough around the hot dog so you get a cheesy dog in a blanket. Then I top the cheesy dog with mustard. Yum!

I am also one who puts ketchup on her mac and cheese. But NOT on eggs! That just sounds kinda icky to me. And I also put jelly on my toast - ALL the time!

IloveDisney71
02-06-2008, 09:18 PM
I always put ketchup on my hot dogs unless I'm putting chili on it. If it's a chili dog I just add mustard.

Ian
02-07-2008, 08:06 AM
I have to agree with your husband. Ketchup does not belong on a hot dog. Mustard only.

If it's a chili/cheese dog or something like that, then no additional condiments are necessary.

Marker
02-07-2008, 08:41 AM
Ketchup does not belong on a hot dog. Mustard only.

Why? Based on what? Who writes the rules of hot dogs? I understand if someone doesn't like it, but to simply say it "doesn't belong", seems rather arbitrary.

As to a previous poster saying that kids are ketchup's primary user, I don't know that I agree with that assertion, but if so then perhaps some explanation could be that kids like what they like and don't fall victim to the "I'm an adult, I'm not supposed to like ketchup" mentality.

Ketchup does have it's on flavor. Ketchup is not a bland ingredient, at least it doesn't have to be. Different ketchups absolutely have differnt tastes. I still maintain that the best ketchup I ever had was my mom's home-made. I really couldn't see how ketchup masks the flavor of foods such as french fries. Like all "flavors" you add to any food, it may indeed mask, or it may actually enhance.

I like ketchup on a hot dog. I believe it enhances the flavor. I'm really not too concerned what the Hot Dog Police think, I like it.

I'm sure somewhere in the world there are people who would try to tell me that cheese doesn't belong on a burger, or butter is not supposed to be on popcorn, or cookies and milk don't go together, or peanut butter and Jelly is only for kids, or red and green don't make blue, or event the WDW is only for kids........... well in my opinion, they're all wrong, just like those who say hot dogs and ketchup aren't "supposed" to go together.

Ketchup lovers need to stand up, and refuse to allow the elitist ketchup-phobic hot dog patrol to take away our rights to our pursuit of happiness with they're relentless persecution of our desire to eat hot dogs as we enjoy them, WITH KETCHUP!!!!! Bully us all you want, you so called "purists", but we like Ketchup!!!!!

tinklover
02-07-2008, 09:03 AM
I put ketchup, mustard, ketchup,onions,ketchup,pickles,ketchup,cheese,ketc hup,sauerkraut,ketchup,hot pepper sauce,ketchup,salt and pepper and a little ketchup on top. :eat:

so basically you sayin you like a lil bit of hot dog and condiments with your ketchup? lol I am the same way love ketchup on hot dogs.

Ian
02-07-2008, 09:56 AM
Why? Based on what? Who writes the rules of hot dogs? I understand if someone doesn't like it, but to simply say it "doesn't belong", seems rather arbitrary.The OP asked, "Please help me settle a debate with DH. He thinks most people do not eat ketchup on their hotdog."

To me, that was a solicitation of my opinion on the topic. Here is my opinion on the topic:

Ketchup does not belong on a hot dog. Mustard only.

If you disagree, feel free to express your own opinion. No need to expend any energy questioning mine.

Jeff G
02-07-2008, 10:12 AM
Reading this thread made me chuckle. It's funny how differing the opinions can be over hot dogs and ketchup.

As for me, If I have a loaded Chicago style dog then there is no ketchup. If I'm at a summer picnic and only ketchup, mustard an relish is available I go with ketchup.

I don't find ketchup on a hot dog bad, it's al on taste preference. Eggs with ketchup is another story:ack:, I prefer pretzels and eggs over easy. I also Ilke my burgers with A1 steak which always brings strange looks.

On a side note, what brand hot dog is your favorite? Our local grocery store just started carrying Nathan's which has become our family's favorite.

PirateLover
02-07-2008, 10:34 AM
On a side note, what brand hot dog is your favorite? Our local grocery store just started carrying Nathan's which has become our family's favorite.

We are usually Ballpark or Phillies Franks people, but I can't deny that Nathan's is pretty good!

Marker
02-07-2008, 10:40 AM
The OP asked, "Please help me settle a debate with DH. He thinks most people do not eat ketchup on their hotdog."

To me, that was a solicitation of my opinion on the topic. Here is my opinion on the topic:

If you disagree, feel free to express your own opinion. No need to expend any energy questioning mine.

I know WHY you replied, without the original post none of us would have replied.

My question of "WHY" refered to the statement "ketchup doesn't belong on a hot dog". No problem, I understand if it's a question of taste. You don't like it that way, that's fine.

However, judging from some of the comments I've read, the idea that ketchup does not "belong" on a hot dog sounds more like a matter of principal, a rule of some sort, and not a matter personal preference. It is to those folks that I curiously ask "WHY?".

DisneyDog
02-07-2008, 11:13 AM
I like ketchup (the correct spelling :thumbsup:) -- Heinz, with spicy brown mustard.

I wouldn't mind one right now with a Philly soft pretzel with mustard and maybe some chocolate waterice and a birch beer... and a Tastykake to top it all off. Mmmmmmm

Bethis26fan
02-07-2008, 11:20 AM
I put ketchup on my hot dog w/ chilli and onions.

Scar
02-07-2008, 11:24 AM
Ketchup lovers need to stand up, and refuse to allow the elitist ketchup-phobic hot dog patrol to take away our rights to our pursuit of happiness with they're relentless persecution of our desire to eat hot dogs as we enjoy them, WITH KETCHUP!!!!! Bully us all you want, you so called "purists", but we like Ketchup!!!!! GIVE ME KETCHUP... OR GIVE ME DEATH!!!

I also like ketchup on frozen pizza. :thumbsup:

Ian
02-07-2008, 11:32 AM
However, judging from some of the comments I've read, the idea that ketchup does not "belong" on a hot dog sounds more like a matter of principal, a rule of some sort, and not a matter personal preference. It is to those folks that I curiously ask "WHY?".Oh, well I don't begrudge anyone else the right to eat ketchup on their hot dogs. If that's what you like, go for it.

Me personally? I believe that unwritten American law dictates mustard on a hot dog, but hey ... what the heck do I know??

I also like ketchup on frozen pizza. :thumbsup:Okay now that's just outrageous.

Everyone knows you put French's yellow mustard on frozen pizza! ;)

ncscgirl2005
02-07-2008, 11:50 AM
Now I have sudden urge to run into NYC for a hot dog!! :D

DH (born and raised in Queens) says that the dirty water is what gives those hot dogs a good flavor! LOL! :ack: ;)

ncscgirl2005
02-07-2008, 12:01 PM
My co-worker brought a hotdog from home for her lunch yesterday but SHE FORGOT TO BRING KETCHUP! There was no way I was going to let her ruin her hotdog by only using mustard :blush:.

So being the good friend that I am, I ran all the way back upstairs (Ok I used the elevator) to get her a couple of packs of Heinz ketchup (gotta have Heinz) that I conveniently keep in my desk drawer (never know when you need it)!!!!

Her lunch was saved and I did my good deed for the day! :bow:

MsMin
02-07-2008, 12:35 PM
Lori, my question is WHY does anyone care what anyone else enjoys to eat??? You don't make him eat it--- more mustard for him.
Science has demonstrated that people do experience different tastes when consuming the same foods --- so I say everyone enjoy it the way you love to eat your dog or any other food.
I do agree that a grilled dog is great and I love mine w/ chili but over the years have lost the taste for "unsaleable beef or pork parts :sick:" but Ya'll enjoy.
I guess it reminds me of a guy I dated a couple years ago who had a meltdown b/c I put lemon in my iced tea. Said he couldn't eat w/ me if I put lemon in my tea and I guess I loved my lemon more than him b/c I said see ya!
And yes I"ve been insulted when I cook a nice steak and someone pours ketchup all over it... but if they enjoy it so be it. But a hot dog? One can only enhance the flavor. I don't think it's strange or unacceptable.
What's strange is that I've been agreeing w/ Ian a lot lately... :jaw:

Ian
02-07-2008, 03:11 PM
What's strange is that I've been agreeing w/ Ian a lot lately... :jaw:You should get that checked out. ;)

MsMin
02-07-2008, 03:32 PM
You should get that checked out. ;)
I know you are really a great guy disguised as a tough uncaring kinda guy but there is a big soft spot inside and I've seen a lot more of it lately... :secret:
P.S. Manning :sick:

Ian
02-07-2008, 06:54 PM
I know you are really a great guy disguised as a tough uncaring kinda guy but there is a big soft spot inside and I've seen a lot more of it lately... :secret:
P.S. Manning :sick:Boy, I really do have you fooled. ;)

Except on the Manning thing. :ack:

PirateLover
02-07-2008, 11:55 PM
I just wanted to pop in and say I had some ketchup with my hot dog today and it was DELICIOUS!!!!!!!!!!!
PS if you look up Ketchup on Wikipedia, one of the four pictures is of a hotdog with ketchup.

Magic Smiles
02-08-2008, 07:18 AM
No ketchup or any condiments for me. I like my hotdogs grilled until bursting with dill pickles! But then I don't use condiments on anything.

Ian
02-08-2008, 08:44 AM
PS if you look up Ketchup on Wikipedia, one of the four pictures is of a hotdog with ketchup.Don't believe everything you read on Wikipedia. ;)

But just to rebut that somewhat, I also found this:

It is taboo to put ketchup on a Chicago hot dog; there are actually some hot dog shops and stands that will refuse to provide service if the customer makes the request.

JanetMegan
02-08-2008, 08:58 AM
In other words..."No soup for you!" or no hot dogs in this case.

Mufasa
02-08-2008, 09:29 AM
It is taboo to put ketchup on a Chicago hot dog; there are actually some hot dog shops and stands that will refuse to provide service if the customer makes the request.

There's this tiny bar (ok, it's quite literally a hole in a wall) out in Santa Monica called Father's Office which is known for their burger where they pretty much have two rules:

1.) Don't ask for ketchup (if you really want ketchup for your burger or fries, you'll have to sneak your own and probably be forced to take your order outside or to-go in that case).

2.) No substitutions. Their burger comes one-way (a patty of mixed dry-aged and non-aged beef on a fancy bun, with arugula, caramelized onions, and a mixture of gruyere and maytag blue cheese). They say the only thing you can do is request how you want it cooked, but most of the time no matter what it always comes out between a medium to medium-rare so you really shouldn't even bother.

It's a decent burger, but the whole no-substitution thing is very pretentious (and yeah, that's saying something for LA)- and honestly I'm just as happy with the burgers at In-N-Out anyway.

Jeff G
02-08-2008, 09:52 AM
I'm just as happy with the burgers at In-N-Out anyway.

I was in Vegas a several years back and experienced my first In-N-Out burger, they are the bomb. It's now a tradition that we take a taxi through the In-N-Out drive through when in Vegas. I wish they'd expanded to the Midwest.

Ian
02-08-2008, 09:54 AM
That place sounds like it's run by the Burger Nazi instead of the Soup Nazi!