PDA

View Full Version : My nose is being held captive by the "Stupid People"

Marker
02-02-2008, 06:36 PM
Ok, I don't do a lot of these "vent" topics but I feel like doing one right now.

I would very much like to have some Sudafed for my nose today. I've got some major sinus issues going on. Normally, in times past, I would go into the medicine cabinet and take some psuedophed do dry up the problem.

But, do I have any psuedophed in the medicine cabinet, NO. Can I run into the store and quickly grab a box off the shelf, NO. WHY? Because of those I call the "STUPID PEOPLE". The small percentage of the population who would choose to use a useful remedy to make/consume meth. While the majority of us, those who are not making or consuming meth, are restricted from a perfectly useful medicine. And once again we are paying the price, forced to make the sacrifice, because of the "STUPID PEOPLE".

There, I've said it. I'm done now. I'll shut up and go back to breathing through my mouth because my nose is solidly clogged, and draining like a stuck water bed.

P.S. - and yes, I still want my lawn darts back.

MartyS
02-02-2008, 06:57 PM
Can't you just buy it "behind the counter" at your local pharmacy? Here in Texas, we can buy one box at a time, from the pharmacist and sign for it, but it's not that bad of an inconvenience. It's worth it because nothing else really works like good ol' pseudoephedrine.

kakn7294
02-02-2008, 07:16 PM
Here in PA, we can purchase it behind the pharmacy counter as well. We just have to ask for it and then show a driver's license. It's a bit of an inconvenience, but it's still available. When it's coming on cold and allergy season, I will purchase in advance so we have a bit of a "store" in case I can't get out anywhere.

BronxTigger
02-02-2008, 07:57 PM
But the pharmacy is closed at this time of night and will likely be closed tomorrow.

It is an inconvenience...not too much of one if the pharmacy is open, but a huge one if it's closed!

mreinventtt
02-02-2008, 08:01 PM
What did you say you were on?
Missy:confused:

mickey&missy
02-02-2008, 08:39 PM
But the pharmacy is closed at this time of night and will likely be closed tomorrow.

It is an inconvenience...not too much of one if the pharmacy is open, but a huge one if it's closed!

exactly!

I got some kind of RX decongestant (with sudafed in it) shortly after that law went into effect and I just about had to sign my life away to get it! Driver's license, a search of the database to make I hadn't purchased anymore, signing their sheet of people who purchased sudadfed. Geez! All a person wants is to feel better!

Good luck, I hope you feel better soon!

Marker
02-02-2008, 08:46 PM
Yes, it can be bought from behind the counter. But it's still a hassle. And as was said, if the pharmacy is closed then what.

I understand why it is regulated, but it still irks me. It's like when I was a kid and the entire class gets punished because of something one kid did. Except that was used as motivation to rest of us, and to apply peer pressure to the culprit. But in the adult world, it's not about peer pressure, and I (we) don't really need the motivation to not engage in the "stupid" activity. In the adult world, it's all about protecting people from themselves, no matter what effect it has on the rest of us.

Just my opinion.

jeddalynn
02-02-2008, 09:36 PM
Just FYI, I've recently become an expert on sinus issues as my DH has chronic sinus problems. The ONLY thing that makes an impact is garlic, preferably eatting it raw.

Yes, it makes you smell. But it WORKS.

Eat a couple cloves throughout the day. The secret is (and NO ONE believes me until they try it) to drink FRESH ORANGE juice while you eat it. You will not taste the garlic one bit. I absolutely swear! Your sinuses will clear up QUICK. Best of luck!

kakn7294
02-02-2008, 10:29 PM
Yes, it can be bought from behind the counter. But it's still a hassle. And as was said, if the pharmacy is closed then what.

I understand why it is regulated, but it still irks me. It's like when I was a kid and the entire class gets punished because of something one kid did. Except that was used as motivation to rest of us, and to apply peer pressure to the culprit. But in the adult world, it's not about peer pressure, and I (we) don't really need the motivation to not engage in the "stupid" activity. In the adult world, it's all about protecting people from themselves, no matter what effect it has on the rest of us.

Just my opinion.I totally agree that it's stupid. I thought you couldn't get any at all. At the time I posted, our local pharmacies would still be open at places like Walmart and Target - but not for much longer.

Jeff G
02-02-2008, 11:12 PM
It's a shame that us law bidding citizens pay for the poor choices of a small percentage of the society but in this case it has to be done. TI had a simliar situation at Home Depot the other day, I went in to pick up a can of spray paint and it was locked and required help to get.

Just FYI, I've recently become an expert on sinus issues as my DH has chronic sinus problems. The ONLY thing that makes an impact is garlic, preferably eatting it raw.

Yes, it makes you smell. But it WORKS.

Eat a couple cloves throughout the day. The secret is (and NO ONE believes me until they try it) to drink FRESH ORANGE juice while you eat it. You will not taste the garlic one bit. I absolutely swear! Your sinuses will clear up QUICK. Best of luck!

I love my food cooked with garlic but eating raw garlic :ack: and to mix it with OJ :ack::ack:!

jeddalynn
02-02-2008, 11:44 PM
It's a shame that us law bidding citizens pay for the poor choices of a small percentage of the society but in this case it has to be done. TI had a simliar situation at Home Depot the other day, I went in to pick up a can of spray paint and it was locked and required help to get.

I love my food cooked with garlic but eating raw garlic :ack: and to mix it with OJ :ack::ack:!

I know! Everyone goes :ack: when I tell them but it seriously works! And can you think of a better cold/sinus remedy then fresh OJ and raw garlic? Try it, I double dog dare you! You won't taste a thing :nurse:

conorsmom2000
02-03-2008, 07:47 AM
I have suffered from sinus problems all my life and when these laws came out, Tylenol stopped making the one sinus medicine that actually worked for me (Tylenol night time sinus, which, obviously, I only took at night!) They have other versions, that you can get behind the counter, but they don't work half as well. I didn't even know at the time that people were using the ingredients in it to make illegal drugs! :blush:

When I do go to buy something behind the counter, I have to hand over my license, sign a log, etc.....just to get some sinus relief. I understand why, but it just feels so weird.

RenDuran
02-03-2008, 08:26 AM
I'm a fan of Sudafed too. I always feel so put-out when I have to go through the third degree to get it.

Anyone here ever heard of a netipot? I've had sinus problems forever, even having surgery back in July 2006. I still was miserable. Then I discovered the netipot. I know some people are really put off by it, but I've never done better!

TikiGoddess
02-03-2008, 08:31 AM
I miss my lawn darts too.
:D

TikiG

Jeff
02-03-2008, 08:36 AM
Well ranted Marker!:thumbsup:

jeddalynn
02-03-2008, 09:16 AM
I'm a fan of Sudafed too. I always feel so put-out when I have to go through the third degree to get it.

Anyone here ever heard of a netipot? I've had sinus problems forever, even having surgery back in July 2006. I still was miserable. Then I discovered the netipot. I know some people are really put off by it, but I've never done better!

Neti-pots awesome! A little weird at first but it works really well. You can also get a saline spray that comes in a preprepared bottle thats a bit easier to use. But they can get expensive if you use them all the time.

RenDuran
02-03-2008, 09:57 AM
You can also get a saline spray that comes in a preprepared bottle thats a bit easier to use. But they can get expensive if you use them all the time.

I never had much success with those sprays, plus it always stings the back of my throat when it drains. The neti cleans me out a lot better. I can control what goes into the rinse. I only use sea salt, so there isn't any iodide in it, which can irritate mucos membranes.

MNNHFLTX
02-04-2008, 02:51 PM
I know it's an inconvenience, but I don't mind them keeping these types of meds behind the counter now and requiring ID's to purchase them. I just make sure that I have a box of Claritin on hand (which is what my husband uses for his allergies). In fact, I think that it's good that the government finally started controlling the sale of them. There are other products that I think need to be similarily controlled, such as cough syrup containing dextromethorphan, as there are lots of teenagers out there abusing it.

Sorry about your cold though, Marker--hope you feel better soon.

alphamommy
02-04-2008, 07:31 PM

I don't know what a netipot is, but I use a nasal irrigation kit. It's pretty unpleasant, but it washes everything out. Since I'm not allowed to blow my nose because of my extensive reconstructive surgery, this is the only way to get the yucky stuff out.

Good luck!

SBETigg
02-04-2008, 07:47 PM
It is an inconvenience, and I agree that it feels like we're all paying the price for a few bad seeds. The razor blades are under lock at my grocery store now, too, because apparently they're a high theft risk and the store has been cleaned out twice before the locks went on. But it takes forever to find someone to unlock the rack and get what I need.

I used to love Dimetapp twelve hour, little blue pills. Nothing worked quite like it. But they changed the main ingredient due to stroke risk and now it doesn't work for me. Of course, I don't want to risk a stroke, but I miss the effectiveness.

Marker, :pixie: to get well soon!

Dakota Rose
02-04-2008, 08:55 PM
I just wanted to agree as well! PLUS our Wal-Mart and our Target don't have pharmacies, soooooooo I have to go to a regular pharmacy which means more gas, another stop and a bigger price tag! Irritating!

The REALLY irritating thing about all this is the meth addicts will still find a way to get the stuff.

adoptionislove
02-04-2008, 10:15 PM
I was just introduced to the wonders of nasal spray!

There is somethin' in the air here in Texas right now and NOTHING was working so my friend said to try the OTC nasal spray and I LOVE IT!!!!

Try it it is great and it costs less than 2.00 and you don't need to show ID!!!:thumbsup:

Michelle

IloveDisney71
02-04-2008, 10:21 PM

Yep - I totally agree. Sudafed is the only over the counter medicince that I can take that doesn't cause me to get a severe sinus infection. I used to be able to grab a box off the shelf at the local discount store, but now I have to make sure the pharmacy is open when I go. :(
It's also a pain because I can't send my 17 year old to buy some for her cold, I have to go get it because you have to be 18 years old in AL!

LibertyTreeGal
02-04-2008, 11:42 PM
Because of those I call the "STUPID PEOPLE". The small percentage of the population who would choose to use a useful remedy to make/consume meth.

The real problem isn't the stupid people, it;s the people who make laws that won't allow the manufacturers to place an otherwise inert ingredient in this stuff that would explode if you try to turn it into meth :thedolls:

Everyone's problem solved....

Jeri
02-05-2008, 12:40 AM
The problem here in Minnesota is you are only allowed to buy so many Milligrams per every 2 to 3 weeks which makes it impossible when the whole family is sick at once.

I tried to buy a box of Sudafed, some Dayquil and some Childrens Sudafed and they wouldn't let me because that was too much I could only buy the Sudafed( small box) and the Childrens Sudafed. I could come back in 2 weeks for more if I needed. I asked what do big families do and they just said you only can buy the set amount at a time.

I love Sudafed and always buy extra so I have some at home and my huband has some to take with him to work.
So I found a solution to the problem. I buy some all year round so we have extra when we need it. The Pharmacy told me to do it that way. They said as long as you are with in time frame they won't give you any hassles and so far they haven't.

I agree to about nasal spray. I love my nasal spray. I hate having even the slightest stuffy nose. First sign of getting plugged up I grab the nasal spary.:thumbsup:

Mufasa
02-05-2008, 01:15 AM
I can understand and can agree with placing some controls on the sale of certain over the counter medication that can be abused- however, I don't agree with some of the big brother aspects (maintaining a recorded log for at least 2 years of my purchase?)

Who really has access to that data and how will it be warehoused, data mined or otherwise tracked and by what agencies and for what purposes?

The reasons that have me concerned is that lawmakers managed to draft and pass the "Combat Methamphetamine Epidemic Act of 2005" as an extension to the renewal of the USA PATRIOT Act under the broad-reaching powers of the nation's war on terrorism (Uniting and Strengthening America by Providing Appropriate Tools Required to Intercept and Obstruct Terrorism).

I remember reading that it was US Rep. Charles Dent who lauded praise on the legislation saying "The growing availability of methamphetamine is a form of terrorism unto itself."

Aha! So in effect we can blame the terrorists for your stuffy nose!

Now the law has seen a drastic reduction in seizures or complete elimination of home-grown meth labs in many areas- which has just as quickly been replaced with growing supply of imported Mexican crystal meth produced in super-labs.

It has only shifted the problem- in trade for the elimination of the local meth lab epidemic, law enforcement now battles a more potent product that sells at a higher premium as it gets distributed via the black market. Then there's the inherent dangers (violence) in fighting the drug cartels that oversee these operations.

Terra
02-05-2008, 03:57 AM
I know! Everyone goes :ack: when I tell them but it seriously works! And can you think of a better cold/sinus remedy then fresh OJ and raw garlic? Try it, I double dog dare you! You won't taste a thing :nurse:

I can vouch for this...it DOES work!! Garlic is really one of the great homeopathic remedies for quite a few things...even ear infections in children! I give it my son when he has an ear infection before running to the doctor and having them always shove antibiotics down him....

Hey do you have a Walgreens where you are? [Original poster]....Ours here is open 24 hours as is the pharmacy so in a pinch I've been known to run in the middle of the night and pick up something.

But I do agree. It's crazy that society is almost "baby sitting" those who choose to do wrong and make stupid choices. It can sure make it tougher for the rest of us!