PDA

View Full Version : Would buying a small resale be an effective way to "try out" a DVC membership???

ldc12377
02-02-2008, 01:46 PM
I have been trying to convince my DH that a DVC membership IS a need, not a want and I almost have him convinced.:D Here is one plan we have discussed doing:
I have been watching the resales and have saw a lot of smaller contacts for sale. Buying around 100 points would be enough for us to go to WDW every three years for about a week. If we would be lucky enough to buy a contract with points banked, than we may be able to use our DVD as early as this year or we may have to wait until next year. Would this be a very effective way to "try out" a DVC membership? This way the dues would not be huge for our first few years. Also, if we decide to add more points we could or we could just resale our contact if we decide it isn't for us. Do any of you DVC experts have any advice about this plan. So far, this is the only options that DH & I both agree with.

vizsla
02-02-2008, 04:11 PM
To be honest, if you are still trying to decide if you want to become a DVC member you may want to rent points from someone first to see what it is all about and also take the tour. There are plenty of sites on the internet if you do a search for DVC Rentals. I would also like to mention that you should by your points at a DVC resort that you know you would like to stay at every trip if other resorts are unavailable. Secondly, buying into the DVC and only utilizing it once every 3 years for one week really does not benefit you as far as pay back on the cost of a vacation. It will take a great number of years for it to balance out on your intial purchase, maint. fees, and annual dues. Being a DVC member really benefits you if you will use it every year for a short trip, or every two years for an extended trip.

Horizon93
02-02-2008, 06:36 PM
IN terms of "trying out" DVC, renting would be one way. If by "trying out". you mean getting in at a lower initial commitment, then resale and a small contract is a good option. You will become a member and can always add on through DVC if you would like. If you do go resale, please be sure to select a resort at which you can see yourself staying most of the time. That is the resort that will give you the 11 month booking window.

ldc12377
02-03-2008, 11:02 AM
I took the tour on my last trip in Oct. but DH hasn't with us on that trip. I went on the tour with my mom who is also sold on the idea of getting a DVC. I really think that if my DH would see the difference in the resorts and the rooms then he would also be sold on it. This is kinda my way of making him try it. If we rent point, he may just want to continue doing that instead of actually buying points. Besides, I'm a little leary about renting points. I've been burned on things like that before and it has made me skeptical.

Horizon93
02-03-2008, 11:19 AM
I took the tour on my last trip in Oct. but DH hasn't with us on that trip. I went on the tour with my mom who is also sold on the idea of getting a DVC. I really think that if my DH would see the difference in the resorts and the rooms then he would also be sold on it. This is kinda my way of making him try it. If we rent point, he may just want to continue doing that instead of actually buying points. Besides, I'm a little leary about renting points. I've been burned on things like that before and it has made me skeptical.

Then I would definitely consider a 100 point or so resale contract. As I said above, take time to consider your home resort. While you might be able to get HH or VB points for less than some WDW DVC resorts, you would only be able to reserve a WDW DVC resort at the 7 month window.

Is there a resort that you are leaning toward?

TFrauts
02-04-2008, 01:24 AM
We have rented points twice now!! I was definitely skeptical at first(especially because it was my honeymoon) but pleasantly surprised!! It is definitely a great deal!!!

ldc12377
02-04-2008, 09:50 AM
Is there a resort that you are leaning toward?

I'm leaning toward Saratoga Springs. When we took our tour, the whole area just seemed so peaceful and serene which would be a welcome break from the craziness of the parks. My only concern with it is that the one-bedrooms only sleep 4 and we are a family of 5. I was told on our tour that 5 people would be allowed in a one-bedroom, we would just have to bring a sleeping bag or something like that. My concern is if they decide to NOT allow the fifth person in those rooms then we would have to use a two-bedroom.
I also like Beach Club but they have higher dues, a shorter contract and their resales are a little more expensive.

Mom on the othe hand is totally into Animal Kingdom. She is waiting a few years until she can buy AK through a resale.

mouse-logic
02-05-2008, 02:40 PM
I'm leaning toward Saratoga Springs. When we took our tour, the whole area just seemed so peaceful and serene which would be a welcome break from the craziness of the parks. My only concern with it is that the one-bedrooms only sleep 4 and we are a family of 5. I was told on our tour that 5 people would be allowed in a one-bedroom, we would just have to bring a sleeping bag or something like that. My concern is if they decide to NOT allow the fifth person in those rooms then we would have to use a two-bedroom.
I also like Beach Club but they have higher dues, a shorter contract and their resales are a little more expensive.

Mom on the othe hand is totally into Animal Kingdom. She is waiting a few years until she can buy AK through a resale.

5 in a one-bedroom is a common practice for members. They've never turned us down....we do it constantly.

mouse-logic
02-05-2008, 02:45 PM

The difference in dues rates is nominal. Don't let that impact your decision. Pick the resort you're gonna most enjoy. The resales at BC are more expensive because of the more preferred location and the fewer number of villas--it's the smallest of the DVC resorts. But we wouldn't trade it for any of the other properties...unless they opened a DVC at the Poly.

DVC Mike
02-05-2008, 04:09 PM
The difference in dues rates is nominal. Don't let that impact your decision. Pick the resort you're gonna most enjoy. The resales at BC are more expensive because of the more preferred location and the fewer number of villas--it's the smallest of the DVC resorts. But we wouldn't trade it for any of the other properties...unless they opened a DVC at the Poly.

Actually, VWL is the smallest DVC resort at WDW and BCV is the 2nd smallest at WDW.

The smallest DVC resort is HHI.

mouse-logic
02-06-2008, 06:48 AM
Actually, VWL is the smallest DVC resort at WDW and BCV is the 2nd smallest at WDW.

The smallest DVC resort is HHI.

I stand corrected. I did not know that. VWL is on our short-list for "must dos." I love the theme, but have never had the opportunity to stay there.