PDA

View Full Version : Working for Disney

MILWDIANA
02-02-2008, 10:27 AM
Ok, all employees/ex-employees of WDW,

How does WDW pay??? We are considering a move down to Orlando :confused:and would love to work for the Disney company. Are they known for paying well or no?? Is there any chance my husband and I could both get jobs that would be worth picking up our family and moving them from Wisconsin to Florida??? We are getting very tired of the climate up here and the job market is pretty slow.

Opinions????? :mickey:

Daisy'sMom
02-02-2008, 10:53 AM
The one important thing to ponder, Florida's pay scale is so low compared to northern states and what was once true about the cost of living being lower is now false.

But we have adjusted from a Connecticut move a few years ago and would never go back.:mickey:

DizneyRox
02-02-2008, 11:02 AM
Ok, all employees/ex-employees of WDW,

How does WDW pay??? We are considering a move down to Orlando :confused:and would love to work for the Disney company. Are they known for paying well or no??
No... Disney is usually known for being on the very low end of the pay scale. Most front line CMs get close to Minimum wage, which I think is $7 something an hour. Disney like to hire from within to help keep payroll costs down as well.

Is there any chance my husband and I could both get jobs that would be worth picking up our family and moving them from Wisconsin to Florida??? We are getting very tired of the climate up here and the job market is pretty slow.

Probably not with Disney.

CaptainJessicaSparrow
02-02-2008, 11:10 AM
Starting wages is typically between $7 and $8.

But, a lot of places give us discounts, plus the benefits packages are really great for FT. At my level, not so much. But there are always opportunities for advancement and there is a high turnover rate here so moving up is pretty easy if you are seriously committed to the company.

Speedy1998
02-02-2008, 11:25 AM
I think that depends on weather you are planning on working as a CM or in the offices. I wanted to apply for an accounting position there a few years ago but my DW was not willing to move to FL. At the time they were offering more than I was making.

If you are thinking about moving south to escape the winters, keep in mind that wages are lower down here. Altough, with the exception of FL and a few other areas that attract northern retires the living expenses are less too.

TheRustyScupper
02-02-2008, 12:12 PM
1) Wages:
. . . technical & professional about 30%-40% less than USA average
. . . office and secretarial about even
. . . first level managers are about $22k-$30k
. . . hourly starts at about $7.54-$8.90 per hour
. . . most park/resort hourly jobs are unionized
2) Benefits
. . . health insurance options are VERY good
. . . individual rates are quite cheap per month
. . . family rates can be a bit steep
. . . poor retirement benefits
. . . poor base disability, but more can be bought
3) Hours
. . . new employees usually get 2nd shift & weekends
. . . mandatory overtime, up to 14-hrs straight and 7-days per week
. . . no guarantee on minimum weekly hours, but usually 30-hrs min
4) Cost of Living
. . . Florida used to be very cheap, but no longer
. . . even with housing decline, homes can be expensive
. . . low volume of apartments, due to condo conversions
. . . other living costs the same as other states

NOTE: The above only addresses your question regarding pay and benefits. There is a lot of fun while working at WDW, and it can be quite enjoyable. I came to the area to semi-retire and it has worked out well. I was lured out of retirement, but will return to our house in Orlando this summer.

MILWDIANA
02-02-2008, 04:51 PM
Thank you so much for all the replys. I guess we still have a lot of desions to make. Your input is greatly appreciated.