PDA

View Full Version : Bringing Baby

Kathie_WE
02-02-2008, 09:24 AM
Hi!

After 4 years our Disney wish has finally come true as we are now the proud foster parents of a 6 week old boy, who we hope to adopt.:cloud9: My DH is soo excited about his little man that he cannot wait to bring him to Disney and has scheduled a 4 day trip the first week of March when DFS will be 10 weeks old.:yay:

We know this trip will be vastly different that previous trips and we cannot wait. The number one thing we know we want to do is get as many pictures as possible with DFS and the characters. :mickey:

Few Questions: What rides and attactions can we take a 10 week old on? How does the kid swap work? Any tips for traveling with a little one? Since he will be too little to remember his first Disney trip, are there any special things we can do?

Thanks!:thumbsup:

Kathie

jeddalynn
02-02-2008, 11:23 AM
:party:CONGRATULATIONS!!!:) I don't have any advice to give you, but I just wanted to say that that is so wonderful!

vamaggie
02-02-2008, 11:48 AM
Use a snugli/Baby Bjorn and take him on any of the smaller rides (IASW, Peter Pan, Pooh, Snow White etc) For the baby swap for bigger rides you get a special fastpass like pass that lets the 2nd adult ride right after the first and you swap out the baby. Meet lots of characters, let your little one enjoy the sights & sounds and GO AT HIS PACE!!! You may be spending more time strolling vs riding this time but enjoy it all! Hope the adoption goes through smoothly!

KAT1811
02-02-2008, 11:54 AM
First off, :fworks: :congrats: :fworks: Best of luck to you and DH! I am SO glad to hear that your dreams are coming true! What a wonderful thread!!! :sob: It brought tears to my eyes! :yay:

Few Questions: What rides and attactions can we take a 10 week old on?

The youngest we have taken one of our three DDs is at 14 weeks (3 1/2 months) and she was able to go on almost all of the rides in the MK except for:

Splash Mountain
Thunder Mountain
Tomorrowland Speedway
Goofy's Barnstormer
Space Mountain
Tea Cups
Astro Orbitor
Stitch's Great Escape

In Epcot she could go on everything except for:

Mission Space
Soarin'
Test Track

We didn't do AK but off the top of my head I would think that EE and Dinosaur! would be a no go.

As for the Studios I would think that Tower of Terror, Aerosmith Rockin Roller Coaster and Star Tours would be the only rides he could not go on.

How does the kid swap work?

When you and DH would like to do a ride that DFS cannot just tell the ride attendant (the first one you see) and they will give you the individual instructions for that ride. For some of the rides they have one person ride and then give another a Fast Pass so that they can ride right after and on some of the rides we waited in line together and then when we got to the loading platform they had one of us wait in the exit area while one rode and then we switched posts and the other one of us immediatly road.

Any tips for traveling with a little one?

Talk to your pediatrician before you go and they will give you some insight. Just try to keep him out of the sun as much as possible, I would certainly bring a hat. Remember to keep him well hydrated and no sunscreen for a child under 6 months. We purchased a stroller fan for the stroller so that the air was circulated and the baby remained relatively cool in hot Florida. Bring plenty of formula (we use the powdered formula and bought bottled water to make the bottle. We bought the bottled water early on so that it had a chance to warm up so it was warm when we made her bottles.) There is a baby care station in each of the parks that carry a rather impressive array of baby items if you need something in a pinch. (formula, pacifiers, diapers, wipes, tylenol, etc.) I highly recommend bringing your own stroller (we like the kind that lays flat and has a large sun shade) and some familiar items for the baby (a blanket, favorite toy, etc.) We also loved having our Baby Bjourn with us, that way it made life much easier carrying the baby on the rides and waiting in line. Sometimes she slept through the whole ride. It especially made boarding and exiting moving platforms easy with a baby and allowed me to keep both hands free.

Since he will be too little to remember his first Disney trip, are there any special things we can do?

He may be too young to remember this trip but you will cherish the memories forever! The characters LOVE babies so, taking lots of pictures should not be a problem! Maybe a character breakfast at Crystal Palace (Pooh and friends) the food is fabulous and the characters are cute even for a very little one. Maybe you, DH, and DFS would like to take a more formal picture together. I know they have a "studio" in the hall where you pick up your park pictures that has a variety of backgrounds and add ins.

Whatever you end up doing have a great time and I assure you I will be thinking of you from time to time wondering how your trip went so don't forget to post a trip report or a simple after trip post to let us know how it went!

magicjasb
02-02-2008, 12:38 PM
Congratulations. We took my youngest at 10 weeks old and had the best time. He loved It's a Small World so much, that the woman behind us told us she enjoyed watching him more than the ride. There are so many rides they can go on. Many of the shows he just slept through. Aside from the big rides, that I don't go on anyways, we brought him on almost everything. He loved seeing the characters such as Winnie the Pooh and Tiger. Crystal Palace was a great place to go with him. The baby centers at the parks are great. We found it helped to have a Snugli or Baby Bjorn while waiting in lines. The baby swap is a little different at each ride. Just ask a cast member at the ride. One person goes on the ride while the other waits with the baby. After the ride, you switch. Some rides, like Star Tours, you go through the line and wait right outside the entrance to the ride. At rides like Test Track and Soarin you are given a ticket to enter the fast pass line after the first person exits. Have fun.

LilBugsMa
02-02-2008, 01:41 PM
Congratulations!

We just got back from Disney with our 6 week old - and found that taking her travel system was best for the parks. She spent a bunch of time in her sling too, but when it rained, I wanted her in the stroller because I thought she would be safer in there (I was afraid I would slip once the pavement was wet.) It also gave us a place for her to lay, and play, and look around from... Plus helped us carry the ton of gear that we needed for her. I had considered just taking her stroller, but was happy I decided to have the car seat portion - especially when on buses and trams.

There was plenty of things for us to ride with her - but, she mostly just enjoyed the warm breezes and the time with Mom and Dad (and Grandma, and her aunts etc...). She was able to sleep through most things - the fireworks were the only thing that upset her. The characters loved her - and I have some pictures of her with them that I will cherish. Usually, I skipped the rides that she couldn't get on - and we walked around looking at things, or I shopped while she napped.

The baby stations were nice - but, try to bring enough of what you need - I think that it is great that they sell formula etc..., in a pinch, but...the prices are insane. I ran out of formula during the trip (unexpected growth spurt), and they wanted $21 for a can of powdered Good Start. Went to the Wal-Mart just off property - and bought the same can for $9. First time I was upset with Disney over resort prices! But, I was happy to find that every place I went was happy to give me a cup of hot water at no charge to make a bottle with (just make sure you have some cold water too - cause that water was HOT! I started bringing tea bags and enjoying a cup of tea from the left over water while she had her bottle.)

Even so little she loves Small World - spent the entire ride staring so intently! My video of my 4 year old "teaching" her about all the dolls on the ride was worth the trip!

We've been to Disney many times - and the major difference this trip was we tended to spend more time resting, but I see that as a good thing. We also planned more meals that could be done in our room - easier for her to sleep there than in a restaurant.

The only downer was that there were a few people that were not afraid to tell me the little one was awful small to be out on vacation. But, I felt like if she is old enough to be in day care with all those germs - she is old enough to be on vacation with me, and luckily her pediatrician agreed. The major benefit of the sling was that it kept people away from her (people love to touch babies!). I kept anti bacterial hand wipes and purell with me - so that I could wash up before doing anything with her.

Enjoy your little one - and your trip! I'm sure it will be magical! :congrats:

pixiesmimi
02-02-2008, 01:56 PM
I agree. We have been with all the GKs at all ages and had a wonderful time. The baby stations are great if for nothing else but changing and feeding. Came in real handy when DGS threw up in Crystal Palace :blush: and DD rushed him just outside to the baby station to clean him up (and her). We also took a sling and it worked great inside the rides where you can't take a stroller, especially standing in line. Saves your back. If it is up and running, go to the Disney Web Site and to the new Moms Panel and see what hints they have to give you. Congratulations and Good Luck!:congrats:

joanna71985
02-02-2008, 02:37 PM
I don't really have any advice that wasn't posted already, but I just want to say congrats!:congrats: