PDA

View Full Version : Parks busier during EMH?

mom2four
02-01-2008, 02:24 PM
I was excited to hear about the Extra Magic Hours. However, everything I read said that if you go to a park which is having early EMH it will be super busy that day. You are better off to go to a non EMH park. It sounds like this is only true for morning hours not evening hours. Any thoughts?

Right now my entire schedule is based around EMH.

Thank You, I am learning so much here.

First trip ever the first week in March!

MidnTPK
02-01-2008, 03:25 PM
My experience has been that the morning EMH is the quietest and best. But that's true just during the actual EMH and the first hour or so of regular operation. It's the juxtaposition of the EMH to the regular crowds that roll in later that make that park seem so crowded. You go from wide open streets and lines to the regular busy-crazy lines.

I found the the evening EMHs were quite crowed for the first hour...more crowded than the park was earlier in the day. But I usually don't have the stamina to make it past the first hour, because I'm an early riser. But conditions might improve for the last 90 minutes or something.

I think what happens is that people who can't park hop plan to go to the EMH park intending to be there during the EMH, but run late and end up filling the park sooner than it otherwise would have been filled. And they can't leave and go to another park because they can't hop.

So I always hop out of the EMH park after a few hours there.....and because it was so nice so early, I've usually done so much I'm ready to move on.

SBETigg
02-01-2008, 03:26 PM
EMH works out great if you're a park hopper, not so great if you are not. I highly recommend park hopping, as you get so much more out of the parks when you aren't stuck to one park per day. The best plan would be to hit the morning EMH to take advantage of low crowds in the first few hours, and then plan on leaving to go to another park by eleven or so after the regular crowds come in.

For evening EMH, expect higher crowds until regular closing time, and then it gets less crowded by the hour and you can get a lot done.

If you don't plan to stay late, it isn't worth doing evening EMH and avoid that park. Similarly, if you aren't going to get to the morning EMH park as early as possible, skip that park and do a different park that day. But don't stress- you'll have a great time no matter the crowd levels! :)

diznee_buzz
02-01-2008, 04:05 PM
I agree with Sheri - EMH is great for those with the ability to hop. I've always had a hopper, and would utilize the morning EMH, then leave that park around noon and go to another.

Last trip (September) we bought the hopper for my DH and DS - I'm an APholder. And we didn't use the hopper once! EMH really made no difference on the crowds during this lighter time of year.

We're going again for a long weekend in a few weeks and I just didn't bother with the hopping this time - wasn't worth the extra $$ for the few days we will be there. But I'll tell you this - we have scheduled to be at the parks NOT having EMH each day we are there. :mickey:

Goofy Texan
02-01-2008, 04:06 PM
When we went in early June 2006 the evening EHM at the Magic Kingdom was busy. But the sun wasn't beating down on us and the park was lit up so nice.

The lines looked long, but moved quickly, since they didn't have to stop to allow for fast pass holders. Everyone seemed in a good mood - like they were at a party.

I suggest you try an evening EMH at least once. If you want to get the most out of them, Plan to arrive just before it starts (take a nap, eat dinner and rest your feet while you're waiting).

Start with rides like Buzz, Pirates, and Philharmagic that can handle large numbers of people. Then move on to Fantasy Land (most little ones will be gone by then). Use the last hour and half for rides like Splash, Space, and Big Thunder when most people are wiped out and heading for the exit. You'll need to cross the park a bit to hit everything, but if you arrive well rested it isn't too much effort.

:thumbsup: Also plan on sleeping in the next morning!

crltkcagle
02-01-2008, 10:11 PM
I actually found it to be quite crowded during emh in the am.

jedi jen
02-01-2008, 10:21 PM
The last two years in July, we have done EMH in the morning, and always found them to be good for the first 2-3 hours. After that, it gets packed. For EMH evening hours, we have done Epcot and MK a few times. Epcot is crowded, and we had to stick with less popular rides, or face long lines because there is no FP. Not real keen on doing that anymore. Have had good luck getting out of the parks after Illuminations, because there aren't as many people leaving, since the park is still open. For MK EMH evenings, it has been crowded at first (with some rides in Fantasyland having no wait) and crowds thin out as the EMH goes on. But in July, we are wiped out the next day when we stay up til 1:00, 2:00, 3:00 (never really made it this late/early) AM. Next trip, we are going to try no EMH and see how that goes.

:mickey:

Snow's Mom
02-03-2008, 03:03 PM
That was a question that I struggled with, too. I decided to schedule around early EMH's, and that was the right decision at the time. The one day we went to a regular park opening was our most crowded and miserable day.

But---the parks did fill up quickly. We were walking on the rides the first hour. We picked up fastpasses to use later, and that worked out well. By 11:00, we either switched parks, went back to our hotel, or went to a lunch reservation. All are good ways to get away from the crowds (and heat, depending on when you go).

I strongly urge you to take advantage of EMH and use your hopper passes. We almost didn't, and I'm really glad I changed my mind.

MK_Mtns
02-03-2008, 03:06 PM
we're think of doing EMH evenings. don't the parks stay open until midnight? i doubt lots of people will be at the parks around that time. but we will. so as the time goes by in the evenings, do more people leave???????