PDA

View Full Version : February Healthy Living Thread

Carol
02-01-2008, 07:53 AM
Share your February diet - excercise - lifestyle questions, concerns, tips and experiences here!

Good Luck, Everyone! :cheer:

:hurdle: :walk: :rope: :strong: :lift: :trampo:

julyjewel
02-03-2008, 11:12 AM
My husband and I are still doing the Million pound Match up. I have lost 3.5 pound in 3 weeks and my husband has lost 7. I have been doing Namaste Yoga about 5-6 days a week. I like it so much more than regular workouts. However, I like the variety offered on Fit Tv. I hope to keep posting positive results.:thumbsup:

jeddalynn
02-05-2008, 08:52 AM
I want to start exercising regularly and I'm using my May trip to Disney World as a motivator! But I'm new at this sort of thing and I'm not sure if what I'm doing is useful or effective. If I'm consistant, will I see any results by May?

I got an elliptical trainer on Sunday and I've used it twice a day quite rigerously, twenty minutes in the morning and twenty in the evening. I'm thinking of adding a 20 minute walk on my lunch hour, too, since I basically sit down all day :unsure:. I'm kind of worried my efforts in the morning and evening will be negated by my constant sitting at work! What do you think?

(Oh yes, and of course, I'm appropriately eatting, naturally ;) )

disneymom15
02-05-2008, 09:33 AM
I'd say you'll surely see results. Stick with it, you'll feel and look better. Take a picture of yourself so you can see your progress. Please keep us posted. Good luck!

Alpha Jeanie
02-05-2008, 09:45 AM
I think you are on the right track. We went to Disney in May 2006 and I decided to walk 500 miles before I went to Disney. I was walking 5 miles a day at that point and was able to do it. I think that I started in Feb. Thinking about our trip to Disney really kept me motivated. We will be there again this May and I am listening to pod cast of Disney info on my I-Pod while I walk on my treadmill. It does keep me motivated. I have not set a specific goal to hit before I go to Disney this time, but I try to walk 3 miles a day.

If you have an I-pod, listening to those Disney pod casts really helps. There are many out there to listen to.

bshaw96
02-05-2008, 10:15 AM
Good for you :thumbsup: I did the exact same thing with our 2004 trip. I lost 40 pounds prior to going. I felt so much better, and walking around the parks was so much easier than the first time we went. Only don't do like I did. We went for 1 1/2 weeks, and I totally blew it. I ate like crazy, b/c after all I was "on vacation". It was next to impossible to get myself back on track when we came back! You can do it, and what better motivation!!!

c&d
02-05-2008, 10:31 AM
I got an elliptical trainer on Sunday and I've used it twice a day quite rigerously, twenty minutes in the morning and twenty in the evening. I'm thinking of adding a 20 minute walk on my lunch hour, too, since I basically sit down all day :unsure:. I'm kind of worried my efforts in the morning and evening will be negated by my constant sitting at work! What do you think?

Just don't burn yourself out in the beginning by really working out. I think once on the elliptical and a 20 min walk at lunch would be good until you get used to exercising. You'll see results fairly quickly.

I got a new exercise bike at Christmas, my other one died after 10 years. Anyway, I've been riding it for about an hour each day at various resistance levels and I'm seeing results. I also walk for an hour at lunch.

The other part of my exercise routine that I hate and have to convince myself to do everyday is my ab workout.

Good luck and you will definitely see results by May if you keep it up. Don't panic if you don't exercise every day. Your body will need some resting time.

jeddalynn
02-05-2008, 10:50 AM
Thanks for the encouragement, everyone! Disney definately is a good motivator. I have an mp3 player and I listen to music/books on cd which is a big help :)

So far I haven't felt overwhelmed with the 20 minutes twice a day. I don't really try to push myself too hard. If I start getting tired I just go at a slower pace for a bit.

Any more advice or suggestions is totally welcome! This is totally going to make my trip feel like a well deserved reward :mickey:

Mary M
02-05-2008, 10:54 AM
You might want to try using a Heart Rate Monitor. They're really easy to use, and can really give you good feedback about how hard you're working. I have one and it's awesome. It's also kind of fun to watch the number go up as you work out.

bleukarma
02-06-2008, 12:34 PM
I'm kind of torn about what to do with my workout routine.

Last Saturday (the 26th) I was at Gasperilla and I stepped off a curb and twisted my ankle really bad. It's still sore. Monday I had a foot doctors appointment already (for another problem) but while I was there he took x-rays of it since it's still swollen. I go back on the 18th to talk to him about the x-rays and stuff but he told me to keep it easy with the ankle.

The good news is I'm maintaining my current weight. I haven't gained. Even though I haven't lost either, I see maintaining and not gaining as something positive.

I'm torn on whether or not I should either cancel or freeze my gym membership for now, since I have to baby my ankle. I do have to admit that money is tight right now, but I've always seen my gym membership as kind of a necessity since it provides access to a healthy lifestyle. After going over my bills I thought it might be best if I cancel, but when I went to do it I couldn't bring myself to cancel it. I'm afraid if I cancel the membership I might never lose weight, even after my ankle is healed. Also, it takes two months for the payments to stop, and by the end of those two months I might have the OK to work-out again.

Any advice is appreciated. Also, any suggestions on what I should do while my ankle is healing. I know I should go home and elevate it with an ice pack at night, but if I do that I feel like I will just be laying in bed gaining weight! Call me crazy, but that's how I feel. Should I do something like yoga? Or would that be bad on the ankle? Your advice is very much appreciated!!!!

IloveDisney71
02-06-2008, 09:25 PM
Thanks for the encouragement, everyone! Disney definately is a good motivator. I have an mp3 player and I listen to music/books on cd which is a big help :)

So far I haven't felt overwhelmed with the 20 minutes twice a day. I don't really try to push myself too hard. If I start getting tired I just go at a slower pace for a bit.

Any more advice or suggestions is totally welcome! This is totally going to make my trip feel like a well deserved reward :mickey:

My BF's DH is a fitness nut (could actually be a personal trainer but likes his other job). He has told me that it is actually better to work out twice a day than to do it all at once. I can't remember why, but I've also read that a few time before.
I have always found that having a goal to work toward (Disney- incentive) usually helps to keep me motivated. Good luck and keep up the good work!:mickey:

IloveDisney71
02-06-2008, 09:36 PM
I'm having my final weigh-in at Weight Watchers tomorrow. I met my goal weight 5 weeks ago. I had to stay below or within 2 pounds of that weight for 6 weeks in order to become a Lifetime Member.
As of last week, I was actually 2 1/2 pounds below that weight and this morning I was 4 1/2 pounds below my goal weight.
I would like to lose 2 1/2 to 7 1/2 more pounds and then I want to work on maintaining that weight. The good news is that I fit into a size 10 dress (for my anniversary dinner)! I haven't fit in a 10 in about 10 years. That was an awesome feeling!
I'm very proud of my family. We have all adopted healthier eating habits. We cook healthier (even though I hate cooking) and when we go out we make healthier choices.
My youngest DD has lost 20 pounds and my DH has lost 12 pounds. Weight Watchers is really working for my family. It's a LOT easier when you have a support "team" at home. No junk food or soft drinks are allowed in our house anymore.

For those who like sweets, I have found some great snacks. Skinny Cow makes a great ice cream sandwich (2 pts. on WW) and Sugar Free Jello Pudding cups Double Chocolate flavor (1 point). These help me get my chocolate fix!
Oh, and the Pringles Stix are a yummy treat (2 pts. too).

Another tip: measure yourself! Sometimes I don't lose weight but I lose inches. And an inch here and there add up!

Good luck everyone!:D

TheDuckRocks
02-13-2008, 12:25 PM
Hi All,
I'm back from our 9 day trip to WDW followed by the Disney 4 night cruise. Yes, I gained 5.5 pounds which I knew would happen as I completely ate any and everything I wanted to. But I've already taken 2.5 pounds off in the 3 weeks we've been home.
Glad to see so many people joining us here on the Healthy Living thread.
One cool thing about the 70 pounds I'd lost in the past year+ was the fanny bag I only wear at WDW (what a fashion statement :ack:) was about 8 inches to big from when I wore it on our Oct. 2006 trip.:woohoo::clappy: Sometimes you just don't realize just what a difference you are achieving when the weight is coming off soooooooooooo slowly.

Pollyanna Darling
02-15-2008, 08:20 PM
I was off to a great start, running every day and such... but then I got sick and I have been out for about 5 days now. *woe*

Up until then, I had gained about 5 pounds... hopefully of muscle.

:ill:

daparish
02-23-2008, 07:50 PM
Today makes 6 weeks that I have joined Weight Watchers and I have lost 17 lbs. I really need to start exercising . I tore the cartlidge in my knee and the dr has told me to stay off of it but I think I am going to hit the treademill this week.

TheDuckRocks
02-24-2008, 04:54 PM
:bang: I'm really having a bad time with the weight loss thing lately.:fit: Please send :pixie: ASAP!!!

Here we go again...
02-25-2008, 12:41 AM
:bang: I'm really having a bad time with the weight loss thing lately.:fit: Please send :pixie: ASAP!!!

I am right there with you...
After a 7 pound gain after a round of cortisone and my disney trip I am struggling to get back to my 50 pound loss.
I am back out on LOA and stressed! I have to get it together again.
Of course sitting here eating Peanut butter and chocolate does not help at all. Oh well, back on track tomorrow.

Come on. Take a deep breath and we will be fine tomorrow.

Gooftroop5
02-27-2008, 12:16 PM
Dh has lost 30lbs and I've lost 33lbs since October 2007. Been a little off schedule when we got the flu last week. Both dh and I started back Monday night (didn't overdo but still did cardio) Tuesday I woke up with a secondary infection from the flu. I have a sinus infection. So I'm not back to exercising unless you call shoveling snow exercise (dh did shovel but had to reshovel areas so dd could get on bus) and if that's the case then I did and coughed the whole time i did it. Guess no cardio for a couple more days. Too hard to breath.

We are also using our trip to WDW to keep on track. When warm weather hits going to take kids on local walking and hiking trips around town to keep us going and get everyone in "shape" for all the walking. This rate I should be within 20-30lbs of my goal weight before WDW. Once this nasty cold weather go away we will be losing even more.

Not dieting lifestyle changes that we have switched the kids too. The junk food is gone. We hardly eat Fast food. Dh and I at a lot more fish and vegetables. Eat more brown rice. A lot less macaroni. We switched from ground beef to ground turkey. The kids like it too. We still eat pizza but we make our own a lot less fat and lower sodium. (high blood pressure from both sides of family so why add to it)

Neither dh nor I have any health issues because of our weight yet anyways and we are going to keep it that way.

Gooftroop5
02-27-2008, 12:28 PM
Another tip: measure yourself! Sometimes I don't lose weight but I lose inches. And an inch here and there add up!

Starters Congratulations :thumbsup: on a job well done. It is great.

I have to agree on the measuring part if you don't want to measure go to a store and try clothes on and see what size you are really fitting into. Dh did this last night except it was home. We still had some stuff that was his but I took over cause it fit me but didn't fit him anymore (like Disney 3 button shirt) He got such an rush from the fact that it fits him again. He could get into a pair of shorts that are 4 size smallers than he wears now. They were snug but he could get them zipped and buttoned without ripping them. His suit that I bought and was tailored for him about 10 years ago fit him really well. Some things were still a little snug but other things he hasn't worn because they've been snug hang on him. So its much more than the 30lbs on the scale that he's lost.

I was too sick last night to care about things other than my nightgown and bed fitting me last night. It was fun watching him give me a fashion show.

Here we go again...
02-27-2008, 10:59 PM
Today makes 6 weeks that I have joined Weight Watchers and I have lost 17 lbs. I really need to start exercising . I tore the cartlidge in my knee and the dr has told me to stay off of it but I think I am going to hit the treademill this week.

Lori,
If you tore the cartlidge stay off the treadmill!!
Do something with no impact, like water or bicycle. If you walk too much the impact of the treadmill will just mess your knee up all over again. Trust me, I know....
Congrats on the 17 pounds!!!

bleukarma
02-28-2008, 12:18 PM
I went back to the foot doctor on Monday and he wanted me to get an MRI done on my ankle since it is still swollen. The x-rays of my ankle came back with the bones being fine. He said I may have torn a tendon or ligament. He doesn’t want me to jog anymore and he said I will probably have trouble with it for the rest of my life. That is really a bummer for me since jogging is what got me started with my fitness routine about a year ago. Depending on what the MRI shows (which I am getting done on Saturday) I may have to wear a boot. :(

I went ahead and put a freeze on my account at the gym. I have just been walking after work instead of jogging or going to the gym. It’s not as strenuous as I’m used to, but at least it’s something.

As far as my weight, I usually only weight myself at the gym so I don’t know how it is doing. I don’t feel like I’m gaining, in fact I feel like I’m losing, but I have a feeling that I am maintaining.

I am wondering about exercises that I can pick up that won’t be so bad on my ankle. Maybe the pool? Or cardio boxing?

I need to do something because in October my brother (and only sibling) and my best friend is getting married (not to each other!) and I know there are going to be TONS of pictures taken at the weddings. The one for my best friend I am the maid of honor. That’s huge motivation for me! I am happy to have another motivator, it’s just too bad that it’s bad timing with the trouble I am having with my ankle.

daparish
02-29-2008, 11:28 PM
Thanks Angel. My knee is really bothering me lately and not getting better. I know you have suffered with your knee so maybe you would have some advice. I slipped on my porch (cement) and landed on my left knee back in October. It really did not hurt or swell so I did not think it was injured. The bathroom in our office is located on the second floor and the only way to the second floor is by 15 stairs. I noticed in December it would really hurt walking both up and down the stairs and my knee was really making horrible noises. I went to an orthopedic who took xrays. He told me that I tore the cartlidge and that I also showed signs of arthirits and that the horrible noises were bone on bone. He told me that the only way to heal would be staying off as much as possible and reccommended 3 injections of euflexxa. These injections cost $700 (I had to pay $200) but he was pretty confident that it would help the pain because it "oils and lubricates" the bones. I have completed my 3 injections and it is not any better. He is now reccommending physical therapy but I really can't take off of work. I am really hoping it will heal on it's own. I am also wondering how much he could see from an xray and if I should make an appointment with another orthopedic.

Lori,
If you tore the cartlidge stay off the treadmill!!
Do something with no impact, like water or bicycle. If you walk too much the impact of the treadmill will just mess your knee up all over again. Trust me, I know....
Congrats on the 17 pounds!!!