PDA

View Full Version : Wheelchairs

Airblue1
01-31-2008, 01:32 PM
For those of you who are physically or mentally handicapped I mean no disrespect, however this must and needs to be said. First and foremost, if you are over weight and therefore need a wheel chair to cover the parks think of another strategy, secondly, if you are supplied a wheelchair due to an ailment you should have to wait the same time as the stand-by crowd or until your family catches up with you in the stand-by line, of course if a fast pass is presented than those rules apply, lastly, my aunt is in a wheelchair and she can negotiate all turns etc.. and I want those who are cheating to know that we can pick those first timers out in a heart beat and did so in front of an entire bus. Unfortunately there are always those who will try to cheat the system; however a wheelchair should not act as a wheelchair fast pass to the world.
:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Hayden's Dad
01-31-2008, 02:44 PM
Airblue1 I am sitting here trying not to get offended by your rant but I have to admit it is a little difficult. First of all you mention for those of us who have family members who are either physically or mentally handicapped that you are not trying to offend, but who else is using a wheelchair. Now I admit I am sure there are some unscrupulous people out there renting wheelchairs to get a free ride and as far as they are concerned what comes around goes around, but by your logic that they should have to go through the same stand-by-line as everyone else then I suppose you think we shouldn't have handicapped parking spaces either.
Many times the only way for someone in a wheelchair to be able to gain access to a ride is through a special area that can only be accessed through the fast pass lane, and so that is where we are directed.
Wheelchairs are used by people who have more than mobility issues. They are used by Mentally challenged individuals that cannot tolerate either being surrounded by others or waiting in extreme lines.
And to be quite honest we have NEVER taken advantage of the system, but my son deserves a break, he deserves a fastpass, he doesn't have time to wait in lines, and don't worry it won't be long before you have three more people not "using a wheelchair as a fastpass to the world" I just pray that you never have to go through what I go through every day.

joanna71985
01-31-2008, 02:51 PM
There is no way to know who is "cheating" with a wheelchair. And I don't think it's anyone's place to decide who needs one. I am thankful I am able to walk around the park.

Also, the majority of the rides are wheelchair-usable. The few where a wheelchair has to "skip" are at MK and Epcot. And even with those a wheelchair may have to wait longer. So just because someone is in a wheelchair doesn't mean they get onto the ride faster.

I do feel your pain about the bus system, but there is no way to fix that. The wheelchair user(s) have to get on first, because it is impossible to get a wheelchair set up once people are on the bus. But I am sure that they would love to wait in line for the bus.

faline
01-31-2008, 03:21 PM
As someone who recently had surgery and who may have a second surgery before my next Disney World trip, I may opt to rent a chair for the duration of my trip. I will, therefore, be one of those "first timers" who do not ordinarily use a chair who you will so easily be able to spot. If I opt to use a chair, I can guarantee you it will be because I will need one - not because I am trying to cheat the system in any way, shape, or form.

By the way, obesity is often a disability or has other hidden ailments such as arthritis associated with it.

MMouse6937
01-31-2008, 04:04 PM
I can see where this is going eventually because we've all seen numerous threads that start like this and end up getting closed, but I agree with Hayden's Dad, and you would too if you have seen numerous of his posts where his son is dying and Disney "magic" is what he loves. As far as I'm concerned, I am happy to stand in line for hours if it means someone like Hayden gets to go through the ride quicker and move onto other things in the precious time he has. As far as people being overweight or just trying to cheat the system...it happens everywhere. I choose to believe that most people honestly need a chair or a scooter and are not using it for any other reason. I also hope that like Hayden's Dad said you never have to go through something like his family is now. I believe in Karma and I certainly treat people the way I would like to be treated, it's time for everyone to have more compassion for one another.

dpamac
01-31-2008, 04:29 PM
First, I'm amazed that this is even being discussed. There are numerous reasons why handicap access is at the front of the line. Very few, if any, of them are pity.

Before you walk a mile in someone's shoes, it is difficult to judge someone. You can't merely look at someone in a wheelchair and getting front of line privileges and deem them worthy of using it.

On the outside they may look like someone who doesn't need a wheel chair, but you'd be surprised at how well someone with a chronic disease, chronic pain or any numerous other health issues make it look easy. When a disease or a handicap is part of your life, it is routine. So just because someone doesn't "look" like they need the wheel chair and are cheating doesn't mean every joint, bone and muscle in their body isn't screaming in excruciating pain when they transfer from the wheel chair to the ride vehicle. Just because it can't be seen doesn't mean it's not there.

I sincerely hope Hayden's Dad's comments are enough to let this tired topic lay fallow. After 10 years online it's been brought up time and time again and we always come back to a single thing:

Count your blessings. I think we all hope that we never have to bear the burden of doing Disney with Special Needs. Those that do bear the burden deserve a little extra help.

Airblue1
01-31-2008, 04:39 PM
I appreciate all your feedback and it is good to hear from the honest. However, in today's day it is hard to believe honesty exist. But on this board I can see that it does. I am going to apologize to those offend and back my words up by agreeing. I have been know, at times, to be the one to open Pandora's box, to see what kind of charge or answers I can find to sometimes controversial topics. I wish you all the best and never meant harm to anyone. Have a magical day!
I must say this in respect as we were exiting a small world my wife and I watched (twice entering and exiting) as the GP, those who do not need a wheelchair, applaud when the workers finally got the disabled person into the boat. We both found this very appalling and difficult to understand.

jillluvsdisney
02-01-2008, 05:32 PM
When I have taken my mother on It's a Small World, I had to wheel her on the boat myself. I don't think cast memembers are allowed to do that....for any attraction. We also waited longer than if we would have been in the stand by line because she could not get out of the chair to get into the boat. We had to wait for a boat with a ramp and they were few and far between.

This whole topic makes my angry and frustrated. WDW is one of the only places we can take my mother and know she'll be able to enjoy herself and have a good time.

I would like to say thank you Hayden's Dad for your reply to the original post.

vizsla
02-01-2008, 06:47 PM
I am going to close this topic because this can offend to many members (as requested by some members) and there is a lot of speculation, and there are no facts proving that some individuals to do not need wheelchairs. I could see this topic turning ugly if we keep it open any longer.