PDA

View Full Version : Unexplained - Maybe Even Spooky

Marker
01-30-2008, 12:41 PM
I wonder if other have tales of enexplained, or maybe even spooky occurances. We've had a few, though I'll resist making any assumption as to an explanation.

1) About a week ago my daughter was home alone studying. She had let the dog out. We typically keep the the back door locked in the winter because it's been know to not latch so well for some reason. Anyway, the dog was out, the door was locked (deadbolt). She heard the dog at the door, but delayed getting up for a few minutes. But then somehow, the dog was in the house, and the door was still locked. She had heard the dog at the door, and seems to recall hearing the door. At first she just figured she had forgotten to lock it and the dog had knocked it open. But no, it was locked, just as she thought she had done. No clue how the dog got in, or why she heard the door, but it was still closed and locked.

2) After being over at my son and daughter-in-laws house for Thanksgiving, we came home to find our wooden rocker sitting in the middle of the room. Nothing else seemed moved. The whole family was at Thanksgiving dinner, so no chance of any of them dropping by. Perhaps a stranger wandered in to watch TV? I dunno.

3) One day my daughter was home baking. Unlike our backdoor that we lock in cold weather, we pretty much never lock the front door. When I came home, to my surprise the front door was locked. I got my key out of my pocket and unlocked it. When I came in my daugher was looking at me with a puzzled look on her face. I asked why she had locked the door and she said she hadn't.

4) Another baking time, my daughter had made a cake, and some cup cakes. The cake, having been made first, was pushed towards the back of the kitchen counter, and the cupcake were near the front. We had all left the house for a little while and when we returned, a big chunk was taken out of the cake. Naturally we initially blamed the dog. However upon further thought, it seemed as though if the dog was going to steal a bite of cake, she would have grabbed a cupcake from the edge. In order to get to the cake, she would have had to get on the counter (which she's never done, to our knowledge) and gone over the cupcakes. That doesn't seem very likely.

I could relate more (including once being woke up by what I would swear was someone tapping me on the shoulder, but no one was in the room), but I'll stop there.

I'm not making assumptions, I'm just saying....

So, anyone else have any "unexplained" stories?

disneydrmr
01-30-2008, 12:52 PM
Marker - I would say you need to check your house for some stray 'happy dolls' :D.

Seriously.. sounds like you definitly live in an 'interesting' house. Do you know the history on it? Is it old?

I've had 'experiences' also. I worked in a little cafe that was in the 'basement' of my town's old library. Some people had turned it into a shop of sorts with the cafe there. One morning I was sent to get ice from the back room and while there scooping the ice I felt someone/thing brush by me and the light bulb (one of those ones that hang by a string and swing back and forth) began moving like someone brushed it. Needless to say I skeddaddled quite quickly. When I told my boss about it he laughed and told me it was just 'the librarian'. Seems one of the former librarians loved her job so much she still hadn't left the building.

Another time I woke up in the middle of the night and saw someone standing over my dh. I shut my eyes, reopened them and he was gone. I woke my dh who told me it was probably just his grandfather who had 'visited' him once before while dh was in Iraq.

rcaide
01-30-2008, 01:07 PM
Ok here are mine:

Luckily this happened several years ago and has not happened for a long time but I use to wake up and hear what sounded like people talking in the garage. I would assume my husband left the radio or TV on and would get out of bed and angrily drag myself to the kitchen door to turn it off (our garage is attached at the kitchen) I would hear the voices up until I touched the door knob and then they would stop. I would open the door and listen in the garage. No sound at all. This went on for several months and I never said anything to anyone because I knew they would think I was nuts. Finally I complained to my husband about this. I was surprised to hear that he had been having the same experience. My mother who lived with us at the time reported the same thing. But what really shocked me was when my then, 5-year-old DS asked me what my husband and I were doing talking in the garage the night before when he got up to go to the bathroom. :confused: We weren't in the garage. This went on for several months and then stopped.

Also we sometimes see something move down the hallway. Always from my son's room to our room. It is just an impression, nothing concrete.

The worse occurence was when I was up reading one night about one am. My son was young and about 3 foot tall. I saw him (or so I thought) come out of his room and enter the family room. Not looking up from my book I said, "what do you want?" I looked up and there was no one there. I went to check on my son and he was fast asleep. I even did the tickle test and received no response. So what did I see? I was so scared I woke my husband up and said I heard something outside. I figured he wouldn't get up if I was seeing ghosts :blush:. I had trouble sleeping for a while after that.

When my son was around 2-3, he was having trouble sleeping. He said the lights kept waking him up. They wanted to play? Scared the bejesus out of me.

We built our house and no one else has ever lived there. It is built on an old cow pasture. But of course it is in an area that would have seen revolutionary and civil war battles. So do we see impressions of old soldiers or old cows? Who knows but it sure can be strange. :secret:

Almost forgot the strangest one of all. I use to work at a local historic site. It is a village built in the 1700 to 1800s. Buildings are on both sides of the street. One sunny afternoon all my coworkers had gone out to lunch and I was alone except for one interpreter on site. I was looking out the window and I saw a lady in period costume come out of one of the slave cabins and head for the main house. She had on a bonnet so i couldn't see her face. I figured it was my coworker. Imagine my surprise when 2 minutes later my coworker came in the back door in jeans and a flannel shirt. i said were you just onsite in costume? She said no I was out back doing some painting. Yikes! That scared me.

Flower
01-30-2008, 01:11 PM
Nothing to your extent Marker & Disneydrmr, but I had a strange occurrence at my dad's grave a month or so after he passed away:

My dad would always ask me if I had money whenever I went out, I usually said I did, but he would almost always slip me $20 bucks and would always say "Don't tell your mother".

I was standing at his tombstone, it was a calm day and nothing was out of order. I looked away, and when I looked back I noticed something at the foot of his grave. It was a $2 bill and I laughed and thought of him saying "Now don't tell your mother".

Okay, it was only two dollars and not the $20 he normally gave me, but it still made me smile - and I still carry that bill in my wallet along with a $50 bill he had in his wallet when he died. (that my mom gave to me).

Marker
01-30-2008, 01:41 PM
Seriously.. sounds like you definitly live in an 'interesting' house. Do you know the history on it? Is it old?

We had this house built, no previous owners. To my knowledge the land was just unused wooded land with farms around.

I will also say that the room I sleep in (since exiled due to snoring) was used as the "baby's room" for all three of our kids. All three of them at one time or another while toddlers, said something about being woken up, or not being able to sleep, because of a lady in their room. But never an ongoing thing, and never more than just a comment about it. Hmmmmm.

NJBelle
01-30-2008, 01:59 PM
I refuse to believe in ghosts but still some strange things happen to me.

1.) I was asleep and I thought it was pretty dreamless. I woke up around 3 am. I look up and standing at the foot of my bed was this boy. I remember staring at him for ten minutes. I got really scared (duh!) and closed my eyes and dove under the blankets. When I looked back a second later he was gone. Peter Pan or something else?

2.) I was walking past the old grave yard on my block around Halloween. It was a perfect autumn day and there were tons of leaves in the grave yard. I heard a noise in there and thought if was a deer. They frequent that erea a lot. I turned to get a look. There was a man in a blue coat (sort of like a civil war jacket) running back in to the woods. I don't know what prompted me to follow him but I did. I didn't see where he went but I ran over to a grave that was the resting place of a civil war soldier. Can you say yikes?

3.) Our house shakes if any one jumps up stairs. So I was babysitting this afternoon and I was down stairs with some of the kids doing homework and helping them with their homework. Suddenly we all heard this big BANG! I started heading upstairs to ask the other kiddies to stop jumping. They met me in the stairs and said, "We heard this big bang. We don't know what it is!" So I let them play down stairs. Again we hear this bang like somebody is jumping. There was nobody upstairs. We were a little freaked out.

4.) One day I was playing out side and I heard voices from behind the shed saying, "When will I get my share?" "You'll get it soon enough." I was so freaked out! I climbed ontop of the shed and looked over but there was nobody there.

Again, I don't believe in ghosts. There's probably a natural reason for all of these happenings. But it is cool to let your imagination run wild when they happen. :)

RedheadWriter
01-30-2008, 02:00 PM
I live in a very active house complete with creaking, banging, voices (like you are listening to a borken up cell phon conversation), shadows, lights that flicker, you name it it happens here. I am VERY open to anything to paranormal so this doesn't really bother me. Fact is I have grown used to it.
The freakiest thign that ever happened ot me was waking up and feeling pressure on my shoulders and hips like something was trying to hold me down and hearing a voice in my ear say "It will be found" I remember it like it was yesterday, it was os clear. There was nothing in the room with me at all. I freaked, my heart was pounding so hard.
I totally believe in these things. I woudl love to visit your home.

mook3y
01-30-2008, 02:15 PM
Personally, I would be setting up a nannycam to find out what was going on. ;)

Jeff G
01-30-2008, 02:15 PM
Wow, I have goose bumps reading these. Marker, does the dog have special abilities?

I'm glad I'm not alone in this though. Several years back in our old house I had many instances I couldn't explain, mainly in the basement. The most memorable of these events came while I was working on finishing a room down there. After a long nights work I turned off the radio and lights and headed up stairs. On the way up I walked through the dark kitchen and into the bedroom to change. After changing I headed back to the kitchen for a drink. When I got to the kitchen it wasn't completely dark anymore because the basement light was on and was shinning up the stairwell. I then re-shut the light off and shortly thereafter went to bed. While laying in bed watching TV I suddenly got the sense that I could here talking. I gave it a few minutes but being mid winter I couldn't figure out where it was coming from. I got up and followed it to the basement. Here my radio was back on but not on the same station I originally had tuned into, it went from an FM oldies station to an AM talk radio show. My DW & DD had both fallen asleep in our bed and had never been awake during any of this. Needless to say I was freaked out.

Many times during this period my DD, who was 2-3 at the time, would explain to us when something was out of order her friend "Katie" did it. She even had stories that Katie told her which were so detailed that we doubt she made them up, a few containing facts from the past that we were able to confirm. We were told by experts that kids create imaginary friends and this was hers, to risk sounding insane we let it go.

The most recent unexplained event came at our new house about a year or so ago. We had just finished eating diner and I sent my DS to the garage with a trash bag. When my DS came around the corner into the back hall, which is about seven feet long and consists of a bathroom and coat room with a solid door leading to the garage, he saw a bright white light at the end suspended in front of the door to the garage. He started to freak out so my DD, who was helping me with dishes, took off to see what was going on and she too saw the light as it faded out. By the time I got there the light was gone but both kids were in shock. It all happened so fast they didn't have time to collaborate their stories and claimed it was an angel. Just the other day my DS mentioned the bright light and was saying how pretty it was.

crazeedizneefinatic
01-30-2008, 02:20 PM
We had lived in our house for 5 years before my son was born. I never felt uneasy or strange until he turned 2. We were playing in the living room and it's open to our dining room. In the dining room we had a closet that we used to store all his toys in. He wanted something and I told him it was in the dining room. He went running and stopped dead when he reached the threshold of the dining room. He started saying "hi grandma". He looked a little frightened. He would not go into the dining room. I scooped him up and went out onto the porch and called my mother, who of course thought I was crazy as can be. She calmed me down and we went back in. He would not go into the dining room because "grandma" was there?? It was very very creepy! I called my husband to come home, I was that upset. Another instance is when he was about the same age. We were laying in bed together on morning. At the time we did not have central air and our air conditioning was pumping in our room. All the sudden our bedroom door snapped open banging on the wall. It scared both of us to death. Next it slammed shut. Christian yelled "daddy is that you?" It definately was time to get up! After that instance I placed a brick against the door when I closed it, I know silly but I was so frightened. We have not had any more significant things happen (thank goodness). We do find something strange though. Our lightbulbs seem to always come loose??? If we flick a switch or turn on a lamp and it does not work, it's always because the lightbulb seems to be coming unscrewed? Our house is very old roughly built around 1898. It has had many changes after investigating a bit. We used to have 3 floors but there was a fire years ago and it was never built back up. It also used to be a 2 family home. Everyone in our neighborhood seems to have known someone who has lived in our house at one time or another. I recently just met someone from my sons school who had a friend who lived in the bottom half of my house years ago. She died of cancer in what is now my dining room, it was her bedroom. I don't really believe in ghosts but maybe spirits? I don't know, I like to think there are explanations to things we have experienced.

Jenemmy
01-30-2008, 02:22 PM
Interesting stuff. Do any of you watch "Paranormal State"? My DH and I always watch that show --- pretty good, if this sort of thing interests you.

I don't believe that ghosts of the deceased come back to haunt, but I surely believe in spirits -- good and bad. I think if we ever had our eyes open to what is really all around us, we would be pretty astounded.

bleukarma
01-30-2008, 02:25 PM
Wow, great stories!!

In the house I grew up in everyone else but me thought it was haunted. I just didn’t feel weird in that house and I guess I’m a skeptic so I shrug off strange sounds at the house settling. But one thing that kept happening always spooked me. In our den (or family room) we had a sliding glass door that had two doors on it (one on the left, one on the right…typical sliding glass door). We always lock all of our doors when we aren’t using them, but the right sliding glass door was always kept locked because we never used it. Any time we would go in and out we would use the left door, and during the day we kept the blinds open to the right. Nobody ever touched the right door, even on the outside. We kept our grill in front of the right door on the outside. Well, every once in a while my aunt would clean the sliding doors and start asking around if anybody in the house has unlocked the right sliding glass door. For some reason we would keep finding the right door unlocked! My aunt would lock it back, and a few weeks later found it unlocked again! This happened multiple times in the years we lived there.

One time my family and I were on vacation and my best friend would stop by and watch our dogs for us. She swears up and down that when she turned off my bedroom light before she left at lunch time. She says that she even remembers going back to make sure she turned it off. When she came back in the afternoon it was on. She said it scared her so much that for the rest of the week she had to bring her boyfriend with her.

In the house I live in now I keep hearing the dryer in the middle of the night. It doesn’t sound like the dryer is on, just the knocking sound that a dryer makes when it’s on. This happens frequently (I even heard it last night) and I just shrug it off as the water heater. But it sure does sound like the dryer!

ncscgirl2005
01-30-2008, 02:30 PM
Wow Marker...you've had lots of experiences.

Growing up, we rented a house from an older lady. It was a gorgeous two story brick home but man that house was creepy.

One day my sister skipped school and stayed home. While watching TV in my mom's room she fell asleep. She woke up because she said somebody was trying to choke her but she couldn't see anyone. The whole time she was trying to pull "invisible hands" away from her throat. When the grip finally let up, she saw tiny "impressions" on the bed as if someone was walking across the bed. Needless to say she was scared out of her mind. Of course was was torn between telling my mom because she wasn't supposed to be at home in the first place! I guess somebody was angry at her for missing out on her free education!

Another time, my mom had put our cat Pauline in the basement before we left to go out to eat. When pulled into the driveway Pauline was looking out the living room window out at us. The basement door was still locked and my grandfather said he didnt' come over while we were gone (he's the only other person that had a key).

One other time, I was sitting in the den by myself and if you looked to the right you could see the stairs leading to the basement and the basement door. Well the window on the basement door was painted in like a "frost" color but it was severely scratched in some areas. When I looked over to the basement door I could see two red dots moving from behind the basement door. I closed my eyes and looked again and they were still there but in a different spot that time. I tried to think logically about what could that be but there was nothing in that area that could have made a reflection of that sort. Very creepy. I saw it several other times as well.

Once my aunt said she woke up and went into her kitchen and her stove eyes (all four)were lifted as if someone had been cleaning her stove overnight.

prprincess
01-30-2008, 03:24 PM
I sure do! I consider myself "sensitive" to that type of stuff...hope you all don't think I'm nutty after you read this!!

1) I lived in a house that my family and I considered haunted for 7 years. I would see a dark figure, what appeared to be a man, in my room quite often. My room was on the second floor, and it was an attic converted into two rooms--my room and a guest room. But when people slept in that room, they'd always complain the next morning that they couldn't fall asleep, or kept being woken up by someone or something. It was always super cold. Once my family and I went on vacation and my mother's BFF watched the house for us. She said that while she was asleep in my mother's bed downstairs, that she heard footsteps coming from my room, and what also sounded like someone slamming my closet and dresser drawers shut. I too have felt that sensation, that one poster mentioned, about being pinned down to the bed by the shoulders...many times. The first time I thought it was me, and maybe my muscles were contracting in some weird way. But nope. After it happening several times, and marks were being left on my shoulders and back (I'm a stomach sleeper), we were all conviced. We sold that house soon after the "assults", but I do wonder if the people who live there now experience anything.

2) Back in college I had a friend whose family owned a cottage down on the Susquehanna in Port Deposit, MD that we used to hang out at on the weekends in the summers. I would always only go down for the day...the one time I tried to stay over, I was kept up at night by voices, similar to what the main character in Stir of Echoes hears.

3) I've done research, and you can actually turn your "sixth sense" off if you try hard enough. Over the past several years I have, and so I haven't really been experiencing much. I experience things here and there, but nothing as serious/annoying/scary as the things I posted about above.

Disneyatic
01-30-2008, 05:35 PM
Wow! Reading all these stories gives me the shivers!!
I am fascinated by paranormal happenings but I don't think I have ever experienced anything. You are all very brave, I would be worried that I would be scared out of my wits if some of these things happened to me!

Once my aunt said she woke up and went into her kitchen and her stove eyes (all four)were lifted as if someone had been cleaning her stove overnight.
Now THIS is the type of ghost/spirit that I would want, one that would clean my stove!! :secret:

daparish
01-30-2008, 09:26 PM
I can't say I have had any experiences. Thank God for this because I would probably die of fright if I did. I am really spooked just reading these stories. The house I grew up in was built over a cemetery. This is the second house my family built on the property. The first was destroyed by Hurricane Betsy and everyone in my family swears it was haunted (I was not born yet). My parents built the second house further back on the property away from where the original graves were located and this seemed to do the trick becasue I really don't recall anything out of the ordinary. My grandparents lived across the street from us in a house that was passed to them from my grandfather's parents. It was a very small country town and when a loved one passed away they would have the funeral in the house as late as when my mom was growing up. Because of this, I refused to sleep with my grandparents.

BronxTigger
01-30-2008, 10:08 PM
This thread is going to give me nightmares. :scared:

Ian
01-31-2008, 10:54 AM
Most people might be shocked to see me join in here, but I have a few:

DW and I swore that our last house was haunted. A couple stories from that house:

One night I was out at school. DW had just finished giving DD her bath and they were walking past the office into our bedroom. DD looked right into the home office, laughed, and said to DW, "Mommy, who is that??"
Our two cats would always sit and stare at the same spot on the wall ... and I don't mean like down near the floor. A few times I came in and found them sitting up on kitchen counters, on dressers in the bedrooms, and one time on the headboard of our bed! Quite a few times they did odd stuff like yowl, get their back up, lower their tails, hiss ... they were definitely seeing something that scared them.
Both DW and I often got the willies suddenly, felt odd cold spots, heard strange noises, etc.
A few times, kitchen cabinets would mysteriously be open even though no one remembered opening them, items that we swore were in one spot would show up in another, and a couple times things just flat-out disappeared.We were happy to get out of there, I can tell you that. Unfortunately, I think the spirits have followed us! In the new house:

We've gone into the garage to find all the windows and the sunroof open on our cars. This has happened in the winter and in the middle of downpours, so there's no way we had them open and forgot.
The garage door has opened and closed itself several times (admittedly, this could just be signals getting crossed with other openers in the area).
Kids and cats have both seemed to see things at times.
Recently, DW and I have "seen things." Not like ghosts or anything ... but very rapid movement out of the corner of our eyes. Always on our right side and never anything there when we look directly at the area where the movement occurred. What's really weird is that for DW it's always a whitish blur and me for it's always a darkish blur. I equate mine to the movement of a VERY fast rodent ...
What's really odd is that during a conversation with our next-door neighbor about selling their home, DW jokingly mentioned that we thought our old house was haunted.

Well the neighbor lady noticeably paled and told us she thought their current house was haunted! Even spookier ... she had experienced many of the same things we have!

Cinderelley
01-31-2008, 11:40 AM
I don't believe that ghosts of the deceased come back to haunt, but I surely believe in spirits -- good and bad. I think if we ever had our eyes open to what is really all around us, we would be pretty astounded.

I used to think this way too, until I had to do some research back into the early days of the New Testament. A demon is actually the spirit of a deceased person.

I tend to be rather skeptical of things, but a lot of the people at work are hardcore believers. As you can imagine, working in a hospital tends to create lots of opportunities for strange events. I know some people say a couple of the bathrooms are haunted and such but the other night day shift had an unsuccessful code right before we came on duty. After a couple of hours, the wife went home and the morgue came and picked up the patient's body. About an hour after the room was completely empty, the call light went off. We could hear the sound, but the light that usually flashes in front of the door wasn't blinking. We all started going into rooms to find out who needed help. Amy and I went into the "empty" room and that was the call light that was going off.

I told Amy not to tell the CNAs because they would've freaked out too much.

January-2007
01-31-2008, 11:48 AM
Wowza, that's some disturbing stuff. One of DH's coworkers told him about all the wierd ghost time stuff that happened at an old house they bought. They moved after it happened. We live in an area where a lot of battles took place during the Civil War. Lots of old houses around here that were around during that time and lots of old battlefields. Scary stuff. It's the main reason we don't want to buy an old house but would rather build a new one. But some of you have had these occurances in new homes that you've built. So now I'm not sure how to prevent it from happening.

I really like the Polterguist movies.... Those were new homes but built over a graveyard....

When DH and I moved to our current apartment after our Honeymoon my parents gave us some things of my late Grandmother's. One is a nice stereo with speakers. It turns on all the time all by itself. I don't think it has anything to do with the wall outlet, either, 'cause we've had it hooked up to different outlets and it still does it. Scares me to death. We have a surge protector on it now and whenever it happens I flip that switch. But DH always flips it back. I think... It happens most of the time when I'm alone here. The radio just starts blaring. Freaky. And the microwave my parents gave us used to turn on by itself for no reason as well. They said it was doing it before and it's just 'cause it's old. I still think it's freaky for stuff just to happen like that though.

After reading all these I think I might have nightmares too. But it's so hard not to read this stuff, it's so fascinating.

ncscgirl2005
01-31-2008, 02:46 PM
Now THIS is the type of ghost/spirit that I would want, one that would clean my stove!! :secret:

LOL! Too bad they didn't finish the job though! Must've had other people to go scare!

ncscgirl2005
01-31-2008, 02:49 PM
This thread is going to give me nightmares. :scared:

LOL! I tried my best not to think about this last night while I was in bed trying to fall asleep. Especially since DH was out of town. Lucky for me, I flipped on the TV to CNN and the Republican debate was on...and the rest is history.

diz_girl
01-31-2008, 03:40 PM
I admit I'm a bit creeped out about all of this talk too. Here are my experiences.

1 - When I was a teenager and still living at my parents' house my sister and I were sitting on my bed and we both saw what appeared to be a grey and white cat walk quickly past my open door. Our family had a grey and white cat, but it had died a few months earlier, so we thought that maybe it was our other cat, which is black:blackcat:. So we went to find the black cat and found it asleep on a chair by my mother. My mother said that the cat was sitting there asleep for a while. Around this same time, my father would lay on the sofa with his arm behind his head and watch TV. Sometimes one of the cats would walk up to him and sniff his knuckles and he remembered one time in particular when this happened to him a while after the grey & white cat died. A few minutes after it happened he went into the other room and saw the black cat sleeping by my mother and she said that the cat was sitting there for a while.

2 - One night when I was living in my previous home, I was sleeping on my back, woke up and saw a shadowy face leaning over me. I was petrified with fear. I then nudged my husband and woke him, and the shadow disappeared. I now sleep with a sleep mask.

3 - I was traveling home to NJ from a convention in Ohio and the car that I was a passenger in broke down. We were in a caravan of cars and got separated from the rest of our party before this happened. The owner of the car and I had to stay overnight at a B&B in a nearby town. In the morning when I was about to take a shower I felt a tap on my shoulder. I quickly turned my head and nothing was there. During breakfast the owner of the B&B gave a history of the house and mentioned that the original owner of the house was a bachelor and died in one of the downstairs rooms.

4 - Shortly after I moved into my current house I awoke one night to the sound of footsteps coming up the stairs and down the hall. My husband was asleep beside me and we didn't have any children at the time, so I knew that we should have been alone in the house. I got really scared and called the police. They rushed right over and went through the house and found nothing. It was a little embarrassing. They said that it was probably the cat. However, there is no way my 15-pound cat's steps sounds like a 200-pound man's footsteps.

These next two are from relatives who I know aren't kooks.
The first - My mother told me that when my grandmother and aunt both died (my mother's mother and sister, respectively), my mother felt each of them pass over her on the night of their death.
The last - A day or two after 9-11 my sister heard the house alarm beep as if someone was coming into the house. She thought that it was my BIL and thought nothing of it. She was in the bathroom about to take a bath and was sitting on the side of the tub. This bathroom has two doors, one that leads to the hallway and the other that leads to the master bedroom. A minute later she saw something enter the bathroom through one closed door and exit through the other closed door. She then went out into the main part of the house and discovered that my BIL wasn't home and she was alone in the house. :scared:

disneydrmr
01-31-2008, 04:08 PM
The first - My mother told me that when my grandmother and aunt both died (my mother's mother and sister, respectively), my mother felt each of them pass over her on the night of their death.

I had this happen also. When one of my aunt's died. She had been in the hospital but we were told she was gonna be ok. My dh and I had just finished shopping at the grocery store and I 'felt' her with me. I got the urge to go to the hospital to visit her. I told dh and we planned to go after dropping off the groceries. But when we got home there was a call from my call on the machine to call asap. I did and learned that my aunt had died just a bit before - with the timing being such that her death would've been right around the time of my feeling/thought of her. I know she was saying goodbye to me and it was a great comfort!

I'm glad my dh is home every night... I've gotten myself spooked by reading all these accounts.

ncscgirl2005
01-31-2008, 04:51 PM
Oh hears another creepy story but it deals with dreams.

One night my mother had fallen asleep on the living room couch. She said she dreamed that her soul rose above her and told her to pick her leg up and put it on the floor. She did it but it was the hardest thing she had ever done. She said her leg felt very heavy and she didn't think she would be able to do it. Needless to say she woke up very spooked by the dream because it felt so real. About one hour later her BIL called her and he was very franctic and was crying. He said his wife (my mom's sister and best friend) almost died about an hour ago during childbirth. That same time frame was during the time my mom had that dream so thinks she helped save her sister's life.

Jenemmy
01-31-2008, 06:52 PM
I used to think this way too, until I had to do some research back into the early days of the New Testament. A demon is actually the spirit of a deceased person.

Well, if you believe scripture -- which I am aware not everyone does....demons are fallen angels. Angels and humans are two very different entities.

Whatever you believe them to be -- it is probably best to just leave them be!

Boojum
01-31-2008, 07:04 PM
Some of these are making me shiver, too. Fortuately, both my little "experiences" are friendly.

We have a very old sanctuary at our church, which is used only for weddings and funerals because it's so old--about 170 years. Anyway, twice I've gone into this sanctuary and seen an older couple sitting in a back pew--old fashioned clothes, and the woman has on a big hat. Both times, as soon as I came in, they both stood up and walked out into the foyer. I followed them into the foyer, but they weren't there and the doors were all locked.

I lost my dad right before Christmas of '06. This Christmas, I was visiting my mom and I was brushing my teeth in her hallway bathroom. I stepped out the door and saw my dad walking down the hallway--he was wearing the same khaki pants and red plaid flannel shirt he wore every Christmas while he was alive. It was startling to see him, but it made me happy that he was with us at Christmas!

mrsgaribaldi
01-31-2008, 11:38 PM
I got the creeps reading these posts:blush:

RedheadWriter
02-01-2008, 07:31 AM
Jason and Grant (Ghost Hunters) would more than likely be VERY intrigued with this post! :blush:

Jeff
02-01-2008, 07:38 AM
In the house I grew up in, which was built new by the way on undeveloped land, we used to have strange noises upstairs. We would often hear footsteps when no one was up there or moving anywhere in the house. I mean footsteps, not the creaking sounds a house normally makes. Footsteps! Also, we would hear doors open and close. This would happen in the winter too with no windows open an "hot water heat" so no moving air. It was never a "bad" feeling about it though.

My mother, a very Christian woman, just plain and simple said we have a ghost. She even gave him a name - she called him Paul or Paulie. It got to the point that whenever we heard a noise up stairs we would just say "Paulie's upstairs".

DisneyDudet
02-01-2008, 10:16 AM

I tend to be rather skeptical of things, but a lot of the people at work are hardcore believers. As you can imagine, working in a hospital tends to create lots of opportunities for strange events. I know some people say a couple of the bathrooms are haunted and such but the other night day shift had an unsuccessful code right before we came on duty. After a couple of hours, the wife went home and the morgue came and picked up the patient's body. About an hour after the room was completely empty, the call light went off. We could hear the sound, but the light that usually flashes in front of the door wasn't blinking. We all started going into rooms to find out who needed help. Amy and I went into the "empty" room and that was the call light that was going off.

I told Amy not to tell the CNAs because they would've freaked out too much.

I read this before going to sleep yesterday. I went to work last night and was charge nurse. We are a remote monitoring unit, which mean that our patients are on heart monitors, and we can see them at our nurses station, and our monitor room downstairs. They aren't tied up to a monitor in the room. Anyway, I picked up the monitor from the monitor room for a new patient from the ER. I placed it on the bed, and zeroed the bed for the weights. About 5 minutes go by, the monitor is alarming. It was reading a heart rate of 171!!! So I was thinking to myself, why would ER transfer a patient with that heart rate! I ran down the hall to see if the ER nurse was still there, and the nurse getting the patient states ER has not brought the patient. I am like, well, there's a heart rate in there! I go and look in the room, and nothing. The monitor is laying on the bed, where I left it.

Needless to say, we switched out that monitor for a new one.

After reading this, anything spooks me now! This sort of stuff interests me. I don't know if I believe in it, or if there's Biblical explanations, but I like to learn about it. I like to read stories about stuff like that, especially by Lois Duncan. Everyone should read Gallow's Hill! Its so great!

Caroleh
02-01-2008, 10:47 AM
I've been reading this with great interest. These things fascinate me even though I've only experenced one thing, but my DH has experienced a lot.

One Valentine's day my DH gave me flowers and I put them on top of a bookcase so the cat couldn't get into them. There was a picture sitting in front of the flowers. The next day we came home from work and the flowers were on the floor about 2 feet in front of the bookcase and the picture was sitting perfectly in its spot.

The DH works as a technician for a cardiologist. The office was built next to a cemetary. One day a few of the employees were talking about all the strange occurances that have happened at the office when one of the girls said there is no such thing as ghosts. Immediately after she stated that, a book that was on a shelf above my DH's head went flying toward the girl. She left the room very quickly!!!

He also told me that one night the alarm went off in the office and the police were at the office and saw a shadow inside the office. The doctor came, turned off the alarm, the police searched the office and nobody was in the office and everything was locked up.

Cinderelley
02-01-2008, 11:14 AM
After reading this, anything spooks me now! This sort of stuff interests me. I don't know if I believe in it, or if there's Biblical explanations, but I like to learn about it.

If it helps any, our monitors do that on a regular basis. I think they get their wires crossed. :crazy:

If you really want to read about it from a Biblical perspective, there's a book called Seeing the Unseen. Chapters 8, 9, & 10 cover demon stuff. I'm too skeptical to give up my long held beliefs based on one book , but he makes a strong enough argument that someday I'll have to look into it even more.

Dakota Rose
02-01-2008, 06:29 PM
I don't necessarily believe in ghosts, but I grew up in a house that definitely had a spirit.

We'd often hear footsteps coming down the hallway. One night, someone sat on the edge of my bed. (the someone was invisible) Drawers would open and close. Stuff like that. But here are two disturbing and unexplained incidents.

When I was in college, I once stopped home on my way to work to check the mail. As I approached the front door, I heard music coming from my parents' bedroom. When I went inside I heard the music (rap music to be precise) and heard the shower running. Went out to the garage to get the mail and neither of my parents' cars were home. My sis didn't drive yet. I grabbed the mail and my keys and dashed. When we got home from work that night (family business), the shower stall was wet, the radio was off and on a different channel.

When I was dating my hubby, he stayed the night one time because my parents were away and I was scared to be alone. I was in my parents' room and he was in the guestroom. We heard a huge crash downstairs and both went down to see. Nothing on the floor, but the house smelled of terrible cigarette smoke which did not dissipate until sometime between us leaving in the morning and my parents returning in the evening.

pink
02-01-2008, 08:05 PM
Great thread! I've been experiencing some paranormal things in my house recently but nobody seems to believe me but I know what I saw.

My house was built over an old Puritan farm (when we moved in parts of the walls from the barn were actually in our backyard) and I always feel wierd energy from my house. One morning I was home alone and making breakfast and from my kitchen there is an open doorway to the dining room. So I had my back to the doorway making my food and I went to the fridge to get something and I felt something watching me so I turned around and there was a black oval shapped figure that was about only 3 ft tall and it had to visbile face of anything! It just stayed there for a few seconds I started panicking and it dissapeared. I was so terrfied I called my DBF to come over because I didn't want to be home alone!

Also, in my room I have two closets and my dogs always growl at the one of the left. Now if my dogs hear a noise downstairs or outside they will go to my door to get out and bark at it but they never do this to the closet. One night I was watching TV and my dog was sleeping on my bed and she woke up out of a dead sleep, stood up and growled at the closet. She also looks like shes watching something because she moves her head back and fourth. This happens at least once a week. Needless to say I'm always scared to fall asleep in my room!

At my DBF house he also had a ghost for awhile. He has a closet next to his bed and always keeps the doors closed. One night we were laying down and watching a movie and all of the sudden the closet door just slid open on it's own! When he was alone it's also opened and it's "pushed" his hats off of the hooks on his walls as well. It's very strange. :mickey:

mrsgaribaldi
02-01-2008, 10:04 PM
I don't know why I started reading this again:( I'm alone now and got the creeps again:blush: Recently, like the last few months, I've heard someone saying my name softly, at home and at work, and at work they all say no. I live alone so unless the cats learned to speak, I'm at a loss.:confused:

Dakota Rose
02-01-2008, 11:09 PM
These next two are from relatives who I know aren't kooks.

The night my grandmother died, I was at her side. She was brushing her teeth, sitting in her wheelchair, when her eyes closed and she dropped her toothbrush. She didn't slump over, but at that instant, I felt her spirit leave, float past me, however you want to describe it. I just screamed, "nooooooooooooooo!"

My mother, a very Christian woman, just plain and simple said we have a ghost. She even gave him a name - she called him Paul or Paulie. It got to the point that whenever we heard a noise up stairs we would just say "Paulie's upstairs".

We named our spirit/ghost/whatever "Mr Marx" after the man who died in our house before my parents bought it. I didn't know this story until I was in college. But, I started talking to him, especially when he was "doing things" and he'd stop. As it turns out, my bedroom, which had the most "activity", was that of his daughter who was a young teenager when he died and she was his pride and joy.

When I got married and moved out, I left my plants and dried flowers at my parents because it's said that spirits can travel in organic substances. I wasn't taking any chances of bringing Mr. Marx with me. My parents said that about a year after I left, the weird stuff stopped happening.

PAYROLL PRINCESS
02-01-2008, 11:09 PM
Ever since I bought my house 12 years ago, I've heard footsteps coming down the hall, footsteps in the attic, things will all of a sudden fall or I'll hear banging noises. I have an alarm system with a motion detector so if someone was actually walking around, they would set the alarms off. But they haven't gone off. And when I've been in bed and heard the banging, I've gotten up to look and never seen anyone.
Another night my sister and the kids were over and she ran out to the van to get the diaper bag. When she came in she asked if her 4 year old son or I had been flicking the garage light on and off. I said no, we were both on the couch but why were you knocking on the door. She hadn't been knocking. And I asked her if the light on the breezeway was also going on and off and she said no, just the garage. Both lights are connected so they'd both have to be flickering.
And I'll turn the stereo in the living room off and by the time I get to the kitchen, it will come back on.
And I'll back out of the garage and hit the remote to close the door and back out of the driveway and it will be open again. Or I'll start driving down the road and it'll go back up.
And a couple of months ago my 4 year old nephew stayed over. A few days later he told me to be careful of the ghost and if I see it to call his Dad or my other brother in law or my sisters or my nephew Joe. I've never mentioned the wierd happenings in front of him and he's never said anything before this about a ghost.

NJBelle
02-05-2008, 02:38 PM
Last night I was writting my book in the living room. On one of my bookshelves there is a picture. It's not near the edge or anything. While trying to think of what to write I looked up at the picture and stared at it for a moment. Then I got back to writting. I paused again to think and looked back at the picture. It was gone! It was on the floor. I didn't even hear it hit the floor. Now you might think that it was just because I was working and into my work and just wasn't paying attention and didn't hear the bang. That can't be because I was paying close attention to every sound in the house. Soft sounds help me think. I would have heard the bang. Well, I was creeped out.

Saturday night I had a dream that the Patriots lost the Super Bowl. I hadn't really been thinking about the Super Bowl that day. The dream was really random. I told my sister about it on Sunday morning. I said, "I think the Pats are going to loose." She laughed and said, "No way! After going undefeated! That's not going to happen." Well, y'all know the rest of the story. :D My baby brother did the same thing with the Red Sox. He said one morning, "The Red Sox are going to win the world series." I was thinking, "What a sweet fan!" But he was serious. He really stuck to it and kept telling people that the Red Sox were going to win. And that happened too!

Cinderelley
02-05-2008, 07:26 PM
NJBelle - my son says to put a rock in a revolving door and then you can slam it. :D

Leave it up to a teenage boy to come up with a form of destruction. ;)

DizneyFreak2002
02-05-2008, 07:35 PM
I think it is time for all of you to call T.A.P.S. (Ghost Hunters on SciFi).... I understand Jason and Grant are great at debunking a lot of weird events that some people think may be ghosts....

NJBelle
02-06-2008, 11:05 AM
NJBelle - my son says to put a rock in a revolving door and then you can slam it. :D

Leave it up to a teenage boy to come up with a form of destruction. ;)

Tell your son that I'll try that. :D The problem is findign a big enough rock.

disneydeb
02-06-2008, 03:57 PM
Many strange and unexplained things have happened to me. Here's one:
One night, I was alone in my bed, at that time I was 12 and living with my parents of course.
I was tying to go to sleep when I heard footsteps walking on the roof of my house beginning at the garage area, over the den, the study and finally stopping over my parents' room. Nothing else happened and I went to sleep. A couple of weeks later, I went to a summer camp. Several girls and I got together one night to tell ghost stories.

One girl told about the walk of the death angel. She said it stops over the person in the house who is next to die. I FREAKED because it had just happened to me and it stopped over my parent's room!
I came home from camp on Saturday and my dad died the following Tuesday.

:ghost::ghost::ghost::ghost::ghost::ghost::ghost:: ghost:

Magic Smiles
02-06-2008, 08:43 PM
I have had a few weird things happen, but I am wondering if anyone's children have had strange experiences? I am talking about young children, kids that wouldn't know even what was happening? I currenly have a friend who's young child is experiencing very weird things.

Aggie97
02-06-2008, 11:26 PM
Seriously spooky stuff! I wish I wasn't reading this so late at night.

Since I was a little kid, I've periodically woken up from sleep and seen and/or felt an evil presence standing over me or even crushing me or pushing me down into the bed, but I cannot move or cry out to stop it. It is terrifying. Sometimes I've had the sensation of levitating over the bed and then suddenly falling down onto the bed very hard, which isn't as scary but still strange.

A couple years ago I learned that this stuff is caused by something called "sleep paralysis." For a brief period of time your brain can be awake, but your body is still asleep and actually cannot move -- there's just a disconnect between your brain and body that causes these very realistic and terrifying sensations. It happens most often when you are sleeping on your back. I guess it's completely safe, but it's realistic and frightening.

Since I learned that there was a true scientific explanation, I haven't been as afraid when this happens to me. But some of the house and work-related stuff you guys are posting about, on the other hand... that's just creepy! :)

Stitchahula
02-07-2008, 03:31 PM
when we had to put 1 of dogs to sleep last June I told my 4 year old son that she went to heaven. That we all start out in heaven and only have a certain amount of time here. I was pregnant at the time now my 7 month old baby looks at the picture of the dog we had to put to sleep 2 years before and smiles and babbles to her. He doesn't do this with any pictures of our other 2 dogs, just the one that would've been in heaven before I was pregnant with him. My 4 year old says that Shantara knew he was going to be our baby so she kept him company before he was put in mommy's belly so they wouldn't be all alone. I know sounds strange but it is the only picture in the house he does this too and he does this almost everyday. It's not because it's the only picture there ,because there is another picture right next to it with our other dog we had to put to sleep right before he was born with his brother laying next to her. It's nice to think that my beautiful puppy was looking after my sweet baby up there in heaven.

PAYROLL PRINCESS
02-07-2008, 10:44 PM
I have had a few weird things happen, but I am wondering if anyone's children have had strange experiences? I am talking about young children, kids that wouldn't know even what was happening? I currenly have a friend who's young child is experiencing very weird things.
If you look back on page 2 of this thread, you'll see where my 4 year old nephew started suddenly talking about the ghost at my house after he slept over. Again, I've NEVER mentioned this stuff in front of him. Is this along the lines of what you mean?

Jeff G
02-07-2008, 10:51 PM

I mentioned in my post of my daughter having an imaginary friend when she was younger. Often times things would not be as we left them and she would simply explain that Katie, her friend, did it. She also would simply state things she shouldn't have know and when we asked her how she knew it was usually Katie told her.

My son also saw a bright white light he claims was an agnel.