PDA

View Full Version : Gallbladder Removal

BouncingTigger
01-30-2008, 12:05 PM
My boyfriend was diagnosed with gallstones shortly before Christmas. He had been having what we now know were gallstone attacks for a couple of weeks, but then he had one that landed him in the ER for most of the day and that's when they figured out he has gallstones.

He talked to the surgeon who recommended gallbladder removal. While the surgery is not yet scheduled because there are a lot of other people on "the list" before him, he was willing to go through with it.

Note: since being on a low fat diet, he has not had any more attacks. However, it is NO fun to eat this way (especially over the holidays) and he has been losing weight, which he really doesn't need to do.

Anyway, his confidence in the surgery was shattered when he got in touch with an old friend who said that after she had her gallbladder removed, she had extreme problems with severe diarrhea, especially after eating a meal with fat. We looked up stuff on the internet and found a lot of conflicting info. Now my bf is scared to get the surgery because he doesn't want to end up like her, even though we read the risk was relatively low.

I was wondering if anyone here has had any experience with gallbladder removal? Do you have any lasting effects? Did you have to change your diet?

My bf is trying to get an appointment with a gastroenterologist but that might take a while to get in, so any help in the meantime would be appreciated! Thanks!

disneydrmr
01-30-2008, 12:10 PM
Sorry to say but I too have had problems with diarrhea since my gallbladder was removed. It was REALLY bad at first.. almost every time I ate.. but over time it's gotten better. Now it's only if I wait too long to eat.. or have LOTS of fat at once.. or anything with MSG. I just recently talked with a lady I work with and in our discussion she said that she's heard that it depends on what your diet is like right after the surgery. I was 'forced' by my MIL to eat a fried chicken meal right after surgery. She was 'helping' my husband 'take care of me'. (only after did I read the post surgery instructions which said to eat LIGHT and BLAND diet)...my coworker had hers taken out and she ate a bland diet for about a week after and has never had any issues. Good luck to your boyfriend!

rcaide
01-30-2008, 12:49 PM
I had mine taken out back in 1988. Then it was the old conventional surgery not laproscopic so recovery was a nightmare. However, I had gotten to the point that eating anything set off a severe attack that landed me in the hospital. I was ready to remove it myself, :ack:. I have never been sorry for one day that I had it removed. I just wish I had done it sooner and saved myself months of pain and suffering. I can eat what ever I want now with no side effects. I did eat light for a month or so after surgery. I not only had gallbladder problems at the time. I also had an ulcer and hiatal hernia so I am really not sure what symptoms I would have had with just gallbladder. I would say hurry and get it out before symptoms become severe. I know I am glad I did.

Wrigley
01-30-2008, 12:53 PM
I had the surgery this past June and am so thankful that I did. I also had several attacks-almost every single night. I ended up in the ER as well a couple of times. After having the surgery (which I was terrified about since it was my first surgery although it went very well) I also had to go to the bathroom almost every time after I ate. Although, it has has gotten alot better and I only have trouble with that on a rare occasion. I would much rather have that problem than having the galbladder attacks. I would rather give birth again than have another galbladder attack:) I would highly recommend he go through with the surgery!

ChipDale2708
01-30-2008, 12:57 PM
I had my gallbladder out three years ago and am happy to say I'm fine. :thumbsup: Of course anything would be better than the attacks I was having which finally landed me in the ER w/ pancreatitis. After my surgery I didn't eat a lot, but didn't stick to a low fat diet either. Did that between the pancreatitis and the surgery (about 2 weeks). My surgery was on a Friday and by Monday I was eating pizza (only a slice). For about the first year I had bouts with diarrehea but nothing to make me wish I hadn't had the surgery. I couldn't eat peanut butter for about a year, but have no problem w/ it now. Maybe the only problem I have now is occasional heart burn. And it isn't even often enough (once twice a month maybe) to think I have an issue. One rolaid gets rid of it asap.

I have read about all sorts of problems people have after removal, but thankfully at this point I haven't had any. :cloud9: He needs to weigh the pros and the cons and realize everyone isn't the same. I recommend it and haven't regretted it for a second.

MidnTPK
01-30-2008, 01:14 PM
I had my gall bladder removed in an emergency surgery....ahh the memories...Christmas 1998...spending it on the cancer ward because all the other wards were closed...but I digress. The bottom line is I have not changed my diet, I just don't choose certain things in certain circumstances. I eat everything I did before the surgery....with just a slight alteration. Anyway...

1. He may not have a choice in the end. After a certain point, the GB swells to a size where it can rupture and kill you. I was close to that point (after 6 weeks of mis-diagnosis), so when I had the ultrasound done at my GI's office, I was sent immediately to the ER and had it out 12 hours later.

2. It's a useless organ that will probably disappear with evolution, now that humans can eat on a schedule. I felt so much better afterward I'd do it over in a heartbeat.

3. I occasionally have bouts of urgent need to go/loose bowel, which is what you can get.....the big d isn't related, though people who need to have the GB out often have poor diets that make them prone to frequent bouts with diarrhea. There's a difference between diarrhea and loose bowel. The big d can dehydrate and make you feel bad. The stuff I get now is brief stomach like cramp....and the knowledge that I need to go....but it's over pretty predictably.

4. The need to go is somewhat predictable for me. Certain deep fried foods, like MickeyD's fries make me have to urgently go 33% of the time. I haven't changed my diet too much, but I avoid fried/really fatty foods when I know I'll be in a place where a bathroom is inconvenient. But like I said, its not that it happens all the time with a particular food; sometimes the item has an affect on me, sometimes it dosen't. I still have ribs, wings, the bloomin onion, fried snickers (in Vegas) and Ice Cream. But when I know I'll be in a stadium or some other public place where I would only in an absolute emergency use the stall, I eat simpler things. Which is not a bad thing after all.

Jeff G
01-30-2008, 01:28 PM
I had mine taken out three years ago using the laproscopic method and have had virtually no complications. I had several gall stone attacks over a years period but then the weeks leading up to the surgery I was having an attack once a week or more.

The surgery I underwent was out patient which went very smoothly. I was given vicoden but I never needed it, the only pain medication I used was two ibuprofen when I got home. Within 24 hours I was able to walk a couple block to get my kids from school and I was back to work in 4 days. After 3 weeks I was back on the golf course.

As for diarrhea, if I eat a sensible meal I have no ill affects. On a few occasions I will eat a really greasy meal or at a buffet with MSG and then I may (not every time) pay the price, and by this I mean a cramp and a quick BM but then it's over. I have friends with gall bladders in tact who tend to have the same results from these types of meals.

for me after going through almost 10 attacks I can say that the surgery couldn't have come quick enough and I have never second guessed it.

ncscgirl2005
01-30-2008, 01:51 PM
I had my gallbladder removed in 1998 and I don't regret it one bit. Like others have said, I did have problems with diarrhea in the beginning after eating foods high in fat but it was nothing too bad. It has gotten much better over the years. I have to say that I would rather live with the diarrhea possibility than with the possibility of having an attack. Those attacks were nothing to play around with.

RedheadWriter
01-30-2008, 01:53 PM
I had mine out in May 2002 and it is absolutely the best thing that ever happened. i cannot begin to tell anyone how painful an attack is. There was one so sever it lasted 25 hours. This was the last one before my surgery to remove it. I prayed to just sleep through the pain when I had it.
I have had no complications from it at all. I have three small scars from the incisions that are barely noticable.
Bottom line is, much like an appendix, when it is diseased it MUST be removed.
I wish him luck and some :pixie:
Rachel

DreaminofDisney24
01-30-2008, 01:55 PM
I had mine taken out literally two weeks ago, done laproscopically...it was an emergency surgery-i had two gallstones that had traveled out of my gall bladder and starting causing horrible pain and pancreatitis! I'm so happy my gall bladder is gone! I've had no pain anymore after eating, the scarring is minimal, and I've been able to use the bathroom normally. I highly recommend it, before his gall bladder gets any worse!

ncscgirl2005
01-30-2008, 04:32 PM
i cannot begin to tell anyone how painful an attack is. There was one so sever it lasted 25 hours. Rachel

A lot of people who have never experienced gallstones do not believe me when I tell them that the attacks can last for several hours and sometimes days. I am so glad I got rid of that thing. I had 16 tiny stones.

MaryPoppinsFan
01-30-2008, 04:42 PM
I had my gallbladder removed in 1995 3 weeks after having a C-Section with my first son ( they said it's comman in pregnant ladies). my enzyme level was so high the doctor told me one more attack and I could die. They wouldnt even operate for 7 days in order to bring the level's down. Not easy being seperated from a newborn that long.
I had to be cut becuase of the c-section and no more gas in my abdomen. so it was a horrible 2 weeks.
that said and done, I'm glad I had the surgery but yes the diarreha was horrible for months and months afterwards, no matter what I ate. and there are times when I still have issues,I have learned what foods to really avoid or be super close to a bathroom. but in the long run it's so worth it. no sudden attacks, no super pain where you can't even stand up.
He wont regret it

bleukarma
01-30-2008, 05:10 PM
I had my gallbladder taken out in August 2006. I dealt with stomach issues for years, it probably started in high school and I had my surgery when I was 26. After finding 13 gallstones they decided to take the gallbladder. Now I am still on a strict diet. Any fatty foods and I get severe stomach cramps, loose bowel, or I just don’t feel good.

Honestly, I think it’s the best thing to happen to me. Before my surgery I was pretty much addicted to fast food. Now I have to watch what I eat and I’m forced to eat healthier. Fast food is now pretty much non-existent in my life. Even though I still have stomach problems, I’m grateful for the surgery. It can be inconvenient at times, but in the long run the healthier diet is much better then the diet I had pre-surgery.

daparish
01-30-2008, 09:40 PM
I have had mine out and have no problems. I was lucky not to have severe attacks like most people. I went to the dr because I had a little dull ache and thought I had ulcers. He did blood work in the office that showed a severe infection plus I had fever. He sent me straight to the hospital for an antibiotic drip and I had surgery the next day. That being said, my sister had her surgery a year after me and she does have to be carefull of what she eats.

adoptionislove
01-30-2008, 10:48 PM
My DH had 19 pancreatic attacks before they figured out what it was!!!

He had his gallbladder removed and the only complaint he has is the potty issue. He says when you gotta go, you gotta go!!!

Maybe he spends so much time in there to get a break from me and the kids!!!! LOL