PDA

View Full Version : Fast Pass- Not giving them out all day?

RoosMomKanga
01-30-2008, 11:12 AM
This may be a dumb question, but I've read on a few trip reports that people had the experience of FP for rides just not being given out at all, and I don't mean-they're out of them for the day, I mean they just aren't giving them out at all from the beginning of the day (ie. BeccaO-Day 7 just posted no Safari Ride FP all day, even though a 60 min. wait was posted). I've never seen this. Does this routinely happen and why? Can I expect to go to the FP machines in the morning and find some of them closed?:confused:

MOJoe
01-30-2008, 11:27 AM
Last year i heard of some FP machines being closed due to upgrades and maintenance. So this should be a rare occurence.

#1donaldfan
01-30-2008, 12:07 PM
That's the first I've heard of this, with the exception of some of the machines being down...not all for an entire ride....?? Not a good thing, that's for sure...

Flower
01-30-2008, 01:17 PM
I know some times if the wait is minimal they will not have the FP system running, for example: If there is hardly any wait at Philharmagic the FP machines will all be covered.

I have never seen them covered at a 'popular' attraction like Kilimanjaro Safaris unless they are down for maintenance.

TBY2225
01-30-2008, 03:02 PM
I am not sure if this is a reason or not, but DH and I were in WDW during MLK weekend a few weeks ago. Three times when we tried to use a fast pass machine, it didn't work. Not all of them were not working, but it did seem like some of them were either not turned on, or not working properly.

Main Street Jim
01-30-2008, 04:05 PM
It also depends on the projected crowds for the day.

At MK, if the projected attendance is X amount of guests, certain FP machines will not be operational. I know when the crowds are/were low (like today at MK, with only a 15-minute wait all day at the Speedway), FPs for attractions like Thunder and Splash will not be available.

Just depends on how busy the park is, not just one particular attraction. The park itself may not be busy, but KS could be without the FPs being available if the total park crowds were below a certain attendance.

Mufasa
01-30-2008, 04:48 PM
Three times when we tried to use a fast pass machine, it didn't work. Not all of them were not working, but it did seem like some of them were either not turned on, or not working properly.

Just a little fastpass tip for WDW- if you think the machine isn't working, try flipping your park ticket over so the magnetic stripe is on top.

At WDW the FP machines are configured to be able to read the magnetic stripe with either side up- most people insert their ticket mag stripe facing down (character facing up) so over time the lower reader inside the machines basically gets "dirty" and won't be able to read the park ticket. Flip the ticket over and try it again and chances are it'll work unless your ticket is just completely de-magnetized.

As for FP machines eating your ticket and not spitting it back out... that's a different matter.

RoosMomKanga
01-31-2008, 08:52 AM
Thanks all...I'd never heard of KS not giving FP either:shake: (especially for a 60 min. wait). I'm hoping they'll all be closed...as, according to Jim, that means the crowds will be light, and no wait!:thumbsup:

Main Street Jim
02-02-2008, 07:16 AM
As Mufasa stated, if your ticket doesn't work one way, try putting it in the machine another way. The turnstiles and the FP machines are designed to read your tickets no matter which way you stick 'em in (oooooo....that just don't sound right....LOLOLOLOLOL....)

tinksmom02
02-02-2008, 10:33 PM
There were a couple FP attractions that had the FP machines covered on our trip in Sept. I can only specifically recall Buzz Lightyear, but I know it happened at other attractions, as well. There were CM survey people around, and I asked them about it...they said they sometimes don't open the FP machines when they expect the crowds to be lower.

bkfree
02-03-2008, 04:20 PM
I concur on this practice. I believe that FP ride should begin giving FP automatically if the wait extends beyond 60min. We were very disappointed last Jan. when we were at AK and the Safari ride wait was more than 2 hours and they were not giving out FP that day. No way could we have waited that long with our kids. We were so disgusted that we left the park and went to DHS and had a fantastic day.
And my kids do not even want to go to AK next trip.

EllieMae
02-03-2008, 04:37 PM
I think that sometimes the machines are just broken or being refurbished. When we were there in June, the FP machine was broken at Splash Mountain. :( I was very dissapointed because this is my favorite ride. I didn't end up riding it the whole trip because it was too hot and crowded to stand in line (2 hour wait). Luckily we will back in December so I can have my chance to ride it again!:coaster: