PDA

View Full Version : Freaking out a bit...worried about a bruise on DS...

Terra
01-30-2008, 08:12 AM
I'm trying to remain calm [but by nature I worry myself sick]...

My son had a normal "baby acne" pimple on his check...[he's 14 months old]....it went away but turned into a bruise....
He's had this bruise for over a week and it shows no signs of going away...it's also developed a little dry patch...

I don't know if this could be coincidence or not...but I'm worried....I automatically think the worst...

Does anyone have any insight...
have any of our Intercotee nurses seen this?

Between chidhood illnesses and the MRSA outbreaks, my mind is racing...
I did not mess with the pimple by the way...I never do!

Thanks in advance!!

MississippiDisneyFreak
01-30-2008, 09:39 AM
:) For peace of mind, go ahead and take him to the pediatrician...if you are like me you will worry until you do

Stitchahula
01-30-2008, 12:43 PM
Ok it is probably nothing but my son's doctor always says she perfers to have parents to worried than not worried enough. Trust me when I say every parent gets a little freaked out once in a while. Settle your fears and go have it checked.

crazeedizneefinatic
01-30-2008, 02:34 PM
As a parent it's hard not to worry, but don't jump to conclusions, and certainly don't try and diagnose on the internet, it will make you crazy, lol. Definately make an appointment.

On a side note: My dad had MRSA about 2 years ago. It started as a pimple but it did not go away it got to be the size of a softball and was hard as a rock, yeah he waited that long!! Almost lost his leg. It never went away, like he hoped, or like your sons.

I know it's hard to stay calm when it's your child that is concerned, but I am sure the doctor will put you at ease. Sending pixie dust your way!!
:pixie:

mickey&missy
01-30-2008, 04:44 PM
Take him to the Dr just to make sure and for piece of mind. Good luck!!

Terra
01-30-2008, 05:46 PM
Thanks everyone :) Believe it or not it's actually starting to lighten up tonight! lol...sooooo...I'll wait another day or so and see...

Gosh and I agree about the internet....it will down right scare you death researching sometimes!!!

And yikes...I've heard of just terrible cases like that involving MRSA!

DisneyDog
01-30-2008, 08:18 PM
My DS5 gets what looks like pimples on his face, but it's actually eczema.

TheMartellFamily
01-30-2008, 11:05 PM
I work in the medical field and I know so many go on the internet to see if they need to go to the DR. Somtimes it is not a good idea since there is truely so much out there to scare that can scare you. It is truly ok that any little medical question you have go to the DR first they are the professional. If you have any questions call your DR for your child and they will help you better than the computer.

kakn7294
01-30-2008, 11:42 PM
Terra, I'm not an expert, but it doesn't sound like MRSA. Usually, a MRSA infection that starts as a pimple won't get better on it's own and it wouldn't generally be "bruised" in appearance or have dry skin over it - more than likely it would continue to abscess, possibly be open and draining, and quite often be very painful. Still, keep an eye on it and if it doesn't seem to be getting better, take David to see his doctor. Better to be safe than sorry - and any good doctor will feel that way too.

MsMin
01-31-2008, 09:54 PM
I'm not a dr. but I remember when my dd had what looked like a couple pimples and the dr. said he thought it was herpes (probably her first outbreak w/ fever blisters) She had them (about 3 or 4) along the nerve line. Point is the red mark stayed a while, even looked a little purple when healing. Babies have such delicate skin and marks like this can stick around for several weeks. I think Kathy is right -- if it's showing signs of healing that's a good sign.
You know how the saying goes though--- If mama ain't happy ain't nobody happy-- so you have to take care of yourself and if that means taking him in to see if it's nothing then it's well worth it for your piece of mind :hug: :pixie:

Terra
02-01-2008, 07:00 AM
Thanks again! You definitely want piece of mind as a parent!

And I'm happy to report that it is gone!!
No one forewarned me about all the worrying I would do as a mom....:secret:

Oh....and thanks for the MRSA info...I wasn't exactly sure how it went...it just makes me a little nervous now that it has made its way out of hospitals...I've been hearing such terrible stories about it!

DisneyDudet
02-01-2008, 09:42 AM
Everyone needs to know that there is a difference in MRSA and a staph infection. Usually, a lot of the abcesses we see are caused by staph, which is NOT MRSA, can can be treated by antibiotics. Everyone carries staph on the skin, that is why cleaning wounds is very important. There is a difference.

Like Kathy said, if it were a true MRSA, it would not look better. Some people are prone to little cystic pimples. I know I am. Sometimes I will get them on my arm or face, and they are deep and hard. The derm says its just cystic zits, and it happens time to time. Its painful, and does take a while to heal. This is probably what it was, since you said it has a little dry spot, which is what mine looks like as its healing.

If this happens again, you can always try moist warm packs for about 10 min, 3 times a day to help promote healing.

If it was caused by MRSA or a staph infection, remember this must be cultured for this diagnosis. MRSA usually found in hospitals, and other places of close contact.

Wash your hands!!!

Terra, glad to hear that its gone! Almost like you just had to tell us about it!

crazeedizneefinatic
02-01-2008, 04:28 PM
Gosh and I agree about the internet....it will down right scare you death researching sometimes!!!

And yikes...I've heard of just terrible cases like that involving MRSA!

So glad to hear it getting better, that's a relief. The internet and the insurance "ask a nurse". I have only called that service twice and both times I thought it was a grave condition. I actually rushed my husband to the hospital once and it turned out he had dermatitus (sp?) on the top of his hand! Yeah, that was a bit embarassing! They really can't give you medical advice which is very understandable, but they always seem to let you know something terrible. They are probably looking on the internet while they speak with you, LOL!

Belive it or not the case with my dad was so scary. He ended up in the hospital for about a week with heavy heavy antibiotics. It was scary. MRSA is something I have never heard about until the last few years. Beside my Dad my cousin also had it. He does not live around here so he did not contact it from my Dad. I also have a friend who lives out of state that is a truck driver. He has had it on several occassions. He actually carries something that looks like an epi pen that is a major dose of antibiotics. He has to give it to himself when he feels he needs it. That alone is scary all the antibiotics he takes. He always gets it on his face, which is scary because it does leave scarring. Enough horror stories, just makes you wonder what's in the air???

Something on the lighter side. The other time I called ask a nurse was when I was diagnosed with panic attacks. Still don't know why it happened or if that's what it truly was, but anyway. The "ask a nurse" tried to set me up with an appointment to see a doctor. Okay, I went along with her advice. I called the number to set up an appointment to see the doctor. The nurse on the phone asked some basic questions than asked who referred me. She stopped a minute and kind of chuckled. I asked her what the problem was. She told me the doctor specialized in gender confused individuals. People that were contemplating a s** change. She told me I was more than welcome to come in, but we both chuckled and politely declined.

Terra
02-01-2008, 05:38 PM
Terra, glad to hear that its gone! Almost like you just had to tell us about it!

Thank you!! I know, isn't that how it always goes?? lol.....suddenly there is a miracle recovery!

Something on the lighter side. The other time I called ask a nurse was when I was diagnosed with panic attacks. Still don't know why it happened or if that's what it truly was, but anyway. The "ask a nurse" tried to set me up with an appointment to see a doctor. Okay, I went along with her advice. I called the number to set up an appointment to see the doctor. The nurse on the phone asked some basic questions than asked who referred me. She stopped a minute and kind of chuckled. I asked her what the problem was. She told me the doctor specialized in gender confused individuals. People that were contemplating a s** change. She told me I was more than welcome to come in, but we both chuckled and politely declined.

:haha: Oh goodness....note to self: don't call ask a nurse...lol

Yikes, these MRSA stories are just so frightening. I watched a program about it hte other day and it made me want to tent my house and disinfect everything!

Dakota Rose
02-01-2008, 06:03 PM
So glad it's gone! :) I was going to say, "I'm not a doctor but both DH & I are prone to skin issues and this sounds like the dermatitis I get on my legs." Sooooooooooo happy your DS is all better! Yay!:)