PDA

View Full Version : The best Horizons tribute video I've ever seen is on Youtube!

SpecJoe Magic
01-30-2008, 03:42 AM
I hope it's okay for me to post this here. Go to Youtube, and type "horizons true to ride tribute" into the search bar. It's separated into three different parts. It's an awesome way to relive the experience of Horizons for those of us who rode it years ago, and it's also a great way for those who never rode it to see why it receives high praise. I got chills watching it because it brought back so many wonderful memories. I had remembered it very fondly, but seeing it again made me realize that I had somewhat forgotten the amazing experience that it provided. I'm a little sad because the reality that no one will ever ride it again resurfaced in my thoughts, but at least fans are still keeping its memory alive. :thumbsup:

WDW1985
01-30-2008, 04:10 AM
WOW that's the best video tribute of Horizons that I've seen to date! :number1:

Great audio as well. Check it out everybody!

:mickey:
wdw1985

crltkcagle
01-30-2008, 10:59 AM
that really was a great video of it! thanks for sharing!:thumbsup:

skadar2
01-30-2008, 12:44 PM
I've often wondered why Disney doesn't do this sort of thing themselves. Is there a business reason why they don't go out of their way to document and otherwise preserve the memory (and physical pieces) of retired attractions?

EmiB
01-30-2008, 02:42 PM
Aside from the Extinct Attractions Club DVDs (google it, it'll change your life), I am surprised too.

Thanks for posting this!
When I was at EPCOT earlier this month, I was very tempted to try and take the Horizons butler robot from the exhibit on old EPCOT near the Ice Station Cool....:mickey:

skadar2
01-30-2008, 03:23 PM
Aside from the Extinct Attractions Club DVDs (google it, it'll change your life), I am surprised too.

Ignorance is bliss... for the wallet. :skull: Curse you for telling me about this!

EmiB
01-30-2008, 03:29 PM
Ignorance is bliss... for the wallet. :skull: Curse you for telling me about this!

Hahaha, but it's SO worth it...

I have Horizons, Journey into Imagination, and one that has EPCOT in general.

WDW1985
01-30-2008, 05:07 PM
I've often wondered why Disney doesn't do this sort of thing themselves. Is there a business reason why they don't go out of their way to document and otherwise preserve the memory (and physical pieces) of retired attractions?

I would imagine that they have to some extent, but if so who knows why they wouldn't release it. I guess they figure that people like D O'Neal at Extinct Attr is doing a good enough job. That guy is impressive, what a store. :thumbsup: I wish I had more money to spend there. I bet he would be a great person to answer this question. I wonder if he belongs to Intercot???

wdw1985

2Epcot
01-30-2008, 07:14 PM
Thanks for posting. Seeing Horizons again brings back great memories ... One of the reasons Epcot became my favorite park after my first visit. :mickey:

Magic Smiles
01-30-2008, 07:18 PM

I have heard about the Club before. What is the quality of their videos like?

EmiB
01-30-2008, 10:45 PM

Pretty good. It varies from video to video.
For most of them, they try to include as much audio and atmospheric stuff as possible. Most of them have interviews with the Imagineers. For the actual ride video, it seems to be home videos that they either took themselves, or got from someone else.
At least in the Journey into Imagination one, they show ALOT of the family. But otherwise, they're as close as you can get to riding them.

CaptSmee
01-31-2008, 12:38 AM

They have previews for a lot of their videos on their website. I have the history of Pirates, Haunted Mansion, and COP DVD's and they are all fantastic quality! I will def' get more in the future. The Tiki story one looks good...

chick20679
01-31-2008, 07:14 AM
I miss this ride!!
I know that "the people" want "thrill" rides, but I miss the OLD rides SO much!! They are what really remind me of Disney World. :cloud9:
Oh well, I guess you can't have everything... but it helps to watch footage of the "good ol' days"! Thanks for posting! :mickey:

TheRustyScupper
01-31-2008, 12:03 PM
1) I viewed the video.
2) I felt like Mr Peabody, without Sherman.
3) Sure brought back memories.

laprana
01-31-2008, 02:14 PM
Man, I almost forgot how much I loved that ride! What a great video!! Makes me sad that Horizons is gone. :(

Mendelson
01-31-2008, 03:47 PM
I see I romanticized this ride a lot from when I rode it as a kid (probably haven't been on it in 20 years).

It's incredibly layered and detailed, but I could see how the general public might find it a little, how should I say....lameucational?

jpH/keD
01-31-2008, 03:52 PM
Ok, so I never went to Epcot as a child...we went in 1975. I was deprived!! It wasn't opened yet.
So I watched the videos on youtube. Yes I thought they were cool. Now, here is my question. What did they do w/ all that stuff? I mean the scenes and stuff? Did they tear it down?? Or put it somewhere for 'later'????????????? Did they ever plan on using any of it again?? TIA for any info! Now I am curious.....:thumbsup:

Altair
01-31-2008, 04:49 PM
What did they do w/ all that stuff? I mean the scenes and stuff?

This guy is still around in the Epcot display behind Club Cool:
http://travel.webshots.com/photo/2336236830053696626YfPEyp

Did you see him in the video?

WEDTOPIA
01-31-2008, 08:42 PM
Definately the best ride video on the Internet.
Was Horizons a great attraction or what ? Why oh why did Disney stop building mega shows like that ? To say I miss this and all the other great attractions in Epcot that were destroyed , is a vast understatement.:(

Followthatmouse
01-31-2008, 10:47 PM
Thank you so much for the link.

Oh, this brings back fond memories. Horizons was a great favorite. It was one of the last attractions I rode with my late DF. It was a nasty shock to return to Epcot, some years later, just as the building was being torn down.

This tribute brought back the visceral reactions I had to this ride growing up. The shock wave from the launch of the Space Shuttle, the humorous moments like the floating boot, and the wide-eyed excitement of seeing future possibilities never really left me. So, thank you for jogging the old memories with this tribute.