PDA

View Full Version : Haunted Mansion Question

Contemporary Gal
01-29-2008, 03:38 PM
Finally got the chance to ride the revamped Haunted Mansion. Excellent job! Everything is so much...scarier :scared:. My only question is does anyone know why they haven't gotten the portraits in the Doom Buggy loading area working yet? Ya know, the ones with the eyes that follow you. Weren't they originally in the area right before the library? Thanks in advance to anyone who can answer this for me.

mulderxcoltrane
01-29-2008, 04:47 PM
If I understand what you're referring to - I think they changed these to paintings that show you "something extra" when the lightning flashes.

Contemporary Gal
01-29-2008, 08:33 PM
Thanks Mulderxcoltrane,

There used to be creepy paintings right at the start of the ride where the eyes would follow you. After the revamp they hung the paintings you're referring to there. But they put the old ones where the eyes follow you in the Doom Buggy loading area and for some reason they're not working. You can see the picture hanging there but the eyes aren't lit up and they don't follow you. It's my understanding that it's been that way since they reopened it after the revamp and I'm wondering why they're having problems getting them working.

jaredkari
01-29-2008, 09:31 PM
I don't know anything for sure, but I just kind of assumed they hung those pictures there just to reuse them?? I don't know if they are supposed to work or not. It is so dark in that area I couldn't really see their eyes anyway??:mickey:

Contemporary Gal
01-30-2008, 01:03 PM
Hmmm, seems like a waste to reuse them there if it's so dark that you can barely see or notice them. And you're right, it is so dark in there that I almost missed seeing them. I hope they get them working again. It would be such a cool spooky effect to light them up again and have the eyes follow you out of the queue area.

Diznee4Me
01-30-2008, 01:14 PM
I may be completely wrong but I believe the way those portraits "worked" was through perspective. The eyes were lit behind holes cut in the portraits and they appeared to move as the buggy's passed underneath. The effect would probably not be the same just walking past them.

Having them in the dark allows them to be re-used but without the effect. Just my guess.

Contemporary Gal
01-30-2008, 02:06 PM
Thanks Diznee4me but I saw the portraits as my Doom Buggy was heading out of the queue area. I didn't notice them when I was walking through the line. I'm not sure if they'll ever get them lit up again but it would be a shame if they didn't. As a few of us have already said, it's so dark that they go unnoticed for the most part. Either way though the new revamped Haunted Mansion is great. They did a wonderful job on it for the budget they had to work with.

#1donaldfan
01-30-2008, 02:14 PM
We were there in June and it was closed for the refurb.....I can't wait till Aug to see it again.....we did get a good pic of the gates closed with the letter telling us of the pending re-opening.......

Diznee4Me
01-30-2008, 05:02 PM
Thanks Diznee4me but I saw the portraits as my Doom Buggy was heading out of the queue area. I didn't notice them when I was walking through the line. I'm not sure if they'll ever get them lit up again but it would be a shame if they didn't. As a few of us have already said, it's so dark that they go unnoticed for the most part. Either way though the new revamped Haunted Mansion is great. They did a wonderful job on it for the budget they had to work with.

Now that you mention it I think you are right. I was thinking I saw them unlit in the line to enter the buggies. I guess I need another trip to refresh my memory.:D

Contemporary Gal
01-30-2008, 07:50 PM
Now that you mention it I think you are right. I was thinking I saw them unlit in the line to enter the buggies. I guess I need another trip to refresh my memory.:D

Sheesh, any excuse to take a trip to Disney. But now that you mention it, my memory is a little fuzzy...maybe I did see it while I was walking through the line. Yeah, that's it. I guess I'll have to take a trip too to verify. :silly:

#1Donaldfan - I hope you love the new and improved mansion as much as I did. It's awesome. :thumbsup:

gresh00
01-30-2008, 08:25 PM
One of my favorite rides of all time. Going down in four days. CAN"T WAIT! I was just in DL over the summer, and all was working on the HM. Also got to ride Mr. Toad again. That's the advantage of more than one Disney park location.

dumbo ears
01-30-2008, 08:55 PM
i cant remember them exactly in the new ride but I hope they are still there. Im should pay attention to this next time

NJ Camper
01-30-2008, 09:14 PM
Wow totally missed that guess it was just too dark for it I hope they get it working and on my next trip I will have to look harder

cujo31
02-01-2008, 09:31 AM
They were replaced in the portrait gallery with the new changing portraits. When they put the old portraits back in, they were changed so they eyes do not follow you anymore, which is a shame because I always loved that. 7 of the portraits are in the load area, 2 are in that stairway right after load, and the last one they put back in is on the wall right after the ballroom scene. There is one portrait they didn't put back, but she is now the Medusa picture in the changing portrait gallery.

At the present moment, I haven't heard anything about them placing lights onto the portraits.