PDA

View Full Version : Fort Wilderness Refurb?

medic9016
01-29-2008, 03:23 PM
Is there any truth that FW will be refurbing some loops and adding new loops with pull-thru sites through out this year for larger RVs? I read this on an camping website, but can't find any solid information.

ibrowse17
01-29-2008, 08:01 PM
They have done a lot of work clearing out the underbrush and hurricane damaged trees over the last few weeks. On our last trip to stay at FW in Feb 07, they were working on the comfort stations on our loop. Ones on other loops were being worked on to differing degrees as well when we were there. As far as new loops, it depends on who you listen to. Some say yes, others that there will be no new loops. I know they are working on the pool at the Meadows Trading Post, so things are being done at Ft. Wilderness.

RocklandRVers
01-29-2008, 08:08 PM
I think FtW is always being worked on. We visit at least once or twice a year and notice changes on each return. There have been times when they close off entire loops and do major work. For example, we always request the 1900 loop. Its a pet loop and nice and quiet far from the action. Anyway one April when we visited 1900 was closed to campers. We drove around it in the golf cart. They were putting down new sod around the sites, painting posts, working on electricity, etc. Another year we were there when they made several new pull thru sites on the main road just before the Meadows. They have also updated some of the comfort stations. Sometimes there is a flurry of activity sometimes nothing.

LONESTAR
01-29-2008, 09:57 PM
I heard FW had a booth at a RV show there in Florida and was telling people about all kinds of inprovements that they will be making. But untill you see it who knows.

RocklandRVers
01-30-2008, 02:14 PM
With all the land Disney still has and given the explosive popularity of RVing and camping, I often wonder why there is not another campground in the works. FtW is nicely themed but given that its older and in need of somewhat of a makeover, its hard to do that amidst the overwhelming demand for sites. The place seems crowded most of the time which is good but then there is no time to renovate.

If they built a new campground (across from FtW for example) and make it some other theme (maybe an African safari or something) it would take off some of the pressure that FtW has and allow for renovations. Once completed they would virtually double the campsite space and I dare say take most of the business from the local campgrounds who are now taking FtW's overflow.

Also there would be more opportunity to create a more modern campground that can accomodate more pull thrus for big rigs, easier backing in, room for awnings and slideouts, etc. that some of the FtW sites just aren't able to handle.

I bet if Disney builds it, the crowds will come!

LONESTAR
01-30-2008, 07:33 PM
I say just add more loops to FW and keep all the campgrounds tied together.

NJ Camper
01-30-2008, 09:26 PM
I have also noticed they cut out lots of under brush when I was there in NOV 07 and noticed work going on then also they had a hole in the road by us that they had covered with a metal plate so they where probably working on some form of utilites also noticed the restrooms in the 300 loop seemed to have been redone recently hope they keep redoing and add loops sounds great to me :mickey:

Jason Hook
01-31-2008, 08:11 AM
How about building a campground near each park?

NJ Camper
01-31-2008, 08:44 PM
That would mean building 3 new ones that would be VERY expensive there isn't that much space between them either when you go by bus to the other parks its less then 30 min away so it wouldn't really be practical to build 3 more 1 maybe but probably better to add to what they have as long as there is space to do so

NJ Camper
02-25-2008, 09:17 PM
Anyone been recently ??? haven't heard anything new on the refurb in FW anyone know anything new?????

ibrowse17
02-26-2008, 10:22 AM
We were there a couple of weeks ago, and it looked much as it did in Dec. Actually, I saw less work going on.

NHcampers
03-16-2008, 09:48 PM
I just returned from Fort Wilderness in Feb. 11-28th. I had a talk with the manager of Fort Wilderness and the Wilderness Lodge. In Jan 09 Fort Wilderness is suppose to be building new themed (Disney) pool with water slide and hot tub. Campground will also be improving about 60% of sites, [longer and wider cement pads, new tables and barbecue area, and cable on all sites. Some of the camping loops 100,200. 1600-1900 are in wetlands and won’t be improved. The cost of improvements I think was 10 million dollars. I stayed in the 1000 loop they were measuring sites and surveying area. The Improvements are supposed to be starting in July or Aug with the 800 loop. All sites will be getting cable also.

casey@bat
03-17-2008, 11:28 AM
I wonder if the pool will be ready by summer 2009!

I would love a slide!

brer frog
03-18-2008, 01:03 AM
walking back from the pool today, not sure what loop, the one between the back patch of creekside meadows, and the pool, and there were reedy creek guys there surveying behind some of the pads. I didn't stop to ask what they were measuring for.

but a lot of brush has been whacked back, I guess that was to help with any improvments and also for fire saftey.
I did also notice a LOT of new trees planed in the cleared out space with water hoses running to that, it's nice to see they replanted what they took out

russk42
03-18-2008, 07:55 AM
The new pool will be welcome, but I, for one, don't particularly care for pull-throughs: One of the best features of Fort Wilderness is the foliage behind and beside my trailer---and also behind and beside everyone else's trailers! I'll admit I've had some difficulties with backing in my 30 ft TT, but its never taken more than 3 or 4 (Ok, maybe 7 or 8) tries to get lined up. I hope if they add pull through spaces in distinct loops, if indeed, they do add pull throughs.

NJ Camper
03-18-2008, 10:29 PM
I hope that they add sites in general seems like they are booking up faster and that sites are harder to come by even in the non busy times of the year not sure if more people then ever are camping or just more campers are going to FW either way sounds like more sites would be a good idea

russk42
03-19-2008, 10:27 AM
I agree, more sites woudl be good. Especially is coupled with more facilities (ie. a NEW pool, rather than a refurb)
I've only used the Meadow pool, but it gets quite crowded on a hot august day

Camping Mom
03-22-2008, 10:21 PM
The more we camp at Ft. Wilderness in our trailer, the more my husband could just forego any of the theme parks. He loves just walking around and sitting on the porch at Crockett's Tavern.

BUT...I HATE that if you don't book a year in advance, you can not get a site for over 3 days unless you move. We went at Christmas and we booked in January and were told there was no preferred site for 8 days. We could be in one site 4 days and then another for 4.

Sometimes don't you just want to take a spontaneous trip to Disney??? We would, but we couldn't pull the trailer. We were told on the phone that IF YOU DON'T BOOK A YEAR IN ADVANCE, YOU ARE PRETTY MUCH NOT GOING TO GET A SITE. So would I like to hear there were more campsite being built and another campground near Ft. Wildernes...oh, absolutely. Seems it is getting a bit crowded these days.