PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible to eat w/o reservations or the DDP??

MicMouse
01-29-2008, 10:25 AM
Does anyone know if its still possible to eat a sit-down dinner at Disney World without making reservations and without having the DDP?

Has anyone been able to just pick a spot and eat there, or has the DDP pretty much ruined this?

My family is heading to WDW in June. We did not opt for the DDP, and I have made ADRs for two character meals. That's it.

However, I don't know today what I want to eat every night for the rest of our trip in June! I feel like its no longer possible to just go with the flow and eat what you are hungry for. It seems like you have to know RIGHT NOW what you will want to eat for dinner five months from now. Sure, we could eat counter service meals every night, but I don't know today if that's what I'll feel like having. It seems like there's this huge pressure to make ADRs and if I don't my family will be the only one in the entire place without something to eat!!

Maybe its just me, and I'm sure this topic has been discussed to death, but does anyone feel the same as me?
:confused:

garymacd
01-29-2008, 10:29 AM
We have done it many times. Just be prepared to wait or eat earlier than the regular dinner crowd.

We have walked up to the podium at the Rose and Crown at about 4:15 and only waited 15 to 20 minutes until the restaurant actually opened.

wendy*darling
01-29-2008, 10:36 AM
The Dining Plan has really made it difficult, if not impossible to make spur of the moment dining decisions anymore.
We like the Dining Plan, and we have always planned our meals way in advance, but I do completely understand the feelings of those who like to wing it- and make decisions as they go.

There are a few places where you can probably still walk up- Marrakesh in Morocco comes to mind. And maybe a couple places in some of the resorts.
Eating at the very beginning or end of a meal time can help as well at almost every restaurant.

I do know that some have reported success when trying to call in the morning from their resort room and asking for whatever is available for dinner that evening.

Unfortunately, June is the start of the busy summer crowds- and more people in the restaurants.

I think I would have to tell you to be prepared to dine at CS places for your trip. Call to see what you can get each morning- and be happy with whatever surprises come up with that plan.

CS dining does not have to be burgers and fries- remember that most all CS restaurants have some terrific options, including healthy dining choices. And many of the places have nice seating areas- even some with really quiet rooms where you can get away from the crowds! :thumbsup:

MicMouse
01-29-2008, 10:48 AM
Thanks to those who have posted.

I am not dissing the DDP, and I'm sure that most people who have it really enjoy it. It's just not for us because we have to plan so far ahead for it to work.

I know that a vacation to WDW requires a lot of planning, which I absolutely love doing. I just can't commit to a restaurant that far out. I've heard of people make several reservations for the same day so that they have options. But that's just wrong, and isn't something I would do.

Oh well - thanks for letting me vent!

Tygger7
01-29-2008, 11:19 AM
If you were going at a less busy time of year, I would say your chances are decent of getting walk up seating if you go early (around 5pm). However, Star Wars Weekends are going on every weekend in June this summer, so that's going to add to the summer crowds (as if they need any help...).

Not saying it will be impossible...just not very likely you'll be able to get standby seating in June.

Donald A
01-29-2008, 11:20 AM
It just depends when you go and the size of your party. I went earlier this month and at 9PM the night before check-out I made a reservation for breakfast at Captain's Grille the next morning and I could basically name my time. Get this, I could have even got a reservation for Cape May character breakfast the times just stunk like at 7:45 and 10:45.

A party of 8 at a busy time you will probably have problems, but with a party of 2-4 in a low season you probably can find some places last minute (except like Le Cellier). You may, however, just want to check the night before or morning of and see if anything is available rather than walk right up.

mouseketeer mom
01-29-2008, 11:36 AM
I do think there is a chance of just walking up. At Thanksgiving this year, we had last minute change of plans, and I managed to walk up to Chef Mickeys Character breakfast without an ADR after being told over and over they were booked and we can't get in. We decided to go for it and it worked for us. Also, we called last minute for the Crystal Palace for dinner and got an ADR 30 mins later. I too, love planning, but also really love not watching the clock. So, I make them, so we have some options, but many times I end of cancelling. We cancelled San Angel and Marrekesh this past trip when we decided we were just having way too much fun by the pool. We got dole whips and then a lite bite in concierge later. Worked for us, and we had a blast.

medic9016
01-29-2008, 12:19 PM
During our trip last Sept, I asked a CM about walk-in dining. She told us that there a specified number of walk-in times left open. If a place is not allowing a walk-in it will be posted. LeCellier has it posted on the door ADR's only.

tinksmom02
01-29-2008, 12:28 PM
I'm pretty sure that you'll be able to get day-of ADR's somewhere on property...it's just a matter of do you want to eat there, or do they have a good time for you? As for walk-ups, I have no experience with that, but I would think that if you showed up right as the service starts for that meal, you might have a better chance of getting a table with little to no wait.

We had the free DDP in September, but DH's great-aunts met us at Epcot for the day, and I hadn't made ADR's. We went to Guest Relations in Epcot and they listed all the restaurants that had tables available, and their times. There was some flexibility, China and a few other places, but the times were too late for us. We ended up at Marrakesh, which was a very pleasant surprise, we all enjoyed our meal! The best part was that it wasn't our first (or even 2nd or 3rd LOL) choice, but it was one of the nicest meals we had all week.

So, I think there are some options for those who don't like to have all their meals planned 6 months out LOL

Course, June is substantially busier than September....

lockedoutlogic
01-29-2008, 12:57 PM
No one is more disgusted with how the restaurant policies have changed over the last few years than I (I'm compiling a list of my greatest rants on the subject and hoping to get a book deal...or a job writing for the Miami Herald..with it)....

but I can't help to strongly discourage you to take the advice of attempting to wing it....

I don't like deciding what i want to eat 6 months in advance either...but a worse feeling is walking through EPCOT, MGM, or even your own hotel and being beaten away from the door of a restaurant.

we've been pretty go with the flow and have still had a couple of bad experiences...it ruins what my wife and i love about going there a little bit...

but we've adapted...and now make usually about 1 reservation a day....

we don't always use them...though I try to cancel at least a day before to allow someone else the chance...and we've still had some good walkups the last few years...but you almost have too make some sort of loose schedule....

under the old system...they would have tables both reserved and for walk ups (the priority seating table distribution formula)...now they book solid and in many cases don't even allow you to wait to see if something becomes available....which is silly....but it happens alot.

I've now twice seen a young (probably college) hostess at Libertry Tree standing outside on the steps shouting "there's no more availability" to a gathered crowd at 4:30 or 5 PM....

disgusting.....honestly...not my Disney World

DizneyRox
01-29-2008, 01:12 PM
No one is more disgusted with how the restaurant policies have changed over the last few years than I
Wanna bet? :D

But yes, it's possible to eat without reservations and the DDP, but you may not like your choices. We don't get the DDP (since it makes no financial sense for us) and enjoy eating very much at WDW.

But, I make reservations well in advance for places I know will be booked, just in case I might want to eat there.

It's a sign of the times, unfortunately, the early bird gets the worm.

#1donaldfan
01-29-2008, 05:32 PM
We love doing it that way, yes we may wait up to an hour, but it's well worth it to us.....we like do the fly by nite kinda thing......this past year we did A LOT of ressies and we felt very tied down....we had to stop all the time with what we were doing, go back to the room, shower, dress, then back out to wherever.......but it's to each his own ...... :thumbsup:

MOJoe
01-29-2008, 06:17 PM
I bet there are very few of us who actually enjoy making dining plans 3 to 6 months in advance. The first time i attempted it, i nearly pulled my hair out trying to plan where to be at what time. But i kept thinking back to what it was like NOT having ressies. - Running from place to place trying to find a reasonable wait. Standing in long lines at counter service places. Being really tired, and just wanting someone to wait on me. Standing and waiting. Standing and waiting with tired, hungry children.
So now i make those dining plans. I look forward to at least one sit down meal a day. It takes the stress out of eating dinner, and generally makes the day better, as long as we stick to the plan and don't end up on the wrong side of the world.
So i think of an ADR like a Fastpass. Do you absolutely have to have one? No. But if you do, it makes things easier.

Marker
01-29-2008, 06:36 PM
Sounds like, if you listen to the comments made on this thread and/or the countless others concerning the DDP, the consensus is

a) the DDP is the cause of all the worlds problems
b) the DDP is great
c) it's totally impossible to get a walk-up table
and d) it is possible to get a walk-up table

With that helpful collection of opinions it sounds to me that it probably depends on the time of year, what time you are trying to eat, and how long you're willing to wait. Obviously, like any other restaurant in the world, it's better to have a reservation. The only way the DDP really comes into play is that there are more people making reservations, the DDP itself doesn't limit the number of seats.

Helpful ideas might be to show up at off times, either before or after the lunch or dinner rush. Perhaps, even though you don't like to make advance reservations, you could still call that day, or a day or two ahead and see if anything is open. It can't hurt to call. Probably most importantly, relax, be patient, don't allow it to be a problem.

But then, that's just my opinion, and it's no more or less valid than any other. Good Luck.

Marilyn Michetti
01-29-2008, 06:42 PM
We make two or three ADR's, but mostly, we go at off times, and if the restaurant can't accomodate us, we get CS. I HATE having to plan six months out what I want to eat in Dec., and it just isn't that important. We plan for Boma's, 1900 Park Fair, and Cape May, and the rest is luck, (or, potluck).

We went to DLR for the first time early Dec., and we had a reservation for Blue Bayou. We got to the podium, weren't hungry enough to spend that much, and gave it up. Went back two days later, walk up, and enjoyed being seated within minutes.

????????????:)

irish1967
01-29-2008, 08:06 PM
I understand completely where you are coming from with the "I don't know what I'll feel like eating in six months" but don't you essentially end up in the same place if you are craving, say, a hibachi meal at Japan and are told, "sorry, we're completely booked."

My priorities for a meal at WDW are as follows:

1) reasonable time so that my children don't become monsters (also, since we go during the summer, we do go back to the resort to swim in the afternoon anyway, so an earlyish ADR doesn't really mess up our day!)

2) sit down service with someone serving me (not my DH carrying a tray from a CS counter!)

3) a cocktail or glass of wine

(I am "on vacation" for only 3 nights/4 days, I don't think I am asking for much with #2 and #3)

Since my priorities outweigh my desire to be spontaneous, we make our decision about where to eat and make our ADRs 6 months in advance.

Anyway, thats just me. I guess what it really comes down to is how flexible you are willing to be. If you are planning a day at AK and the only tables available are in EPCOT, are you willing to travel from AK to EPCOT for dinner?

According to my brother (he and his wife often wing it food-wise at WDW) many times the only available tables are either really early or really late. They don't mind eating at 10 pm and often end up doing so. I don't remember if you mentioned how big your family is, but if you have children, are they that flexible when it comes to meal times? Mine aren't!

Good luck!

vamaggie
01-30-2008, 08:06 AM
I understand completely where you are coming from with the "I don't know what I'll feel like eating in six months" but don't you essentially end up in the same place if you are craving, say, a hibachi meal at Japan and are told, "sorry, we're completely booked."

This is my thought too! I would rather look and see where I want to eat based on parks, activities etc and make an ADR (that I can change if the mood warrants) than really want to eat a nice, relaxed meal and not be able to. With kids, I find it a must to have ADRs since winging it is really not easy with kids.

rubato
01-30-2008, 08:33 AM
If you've made ADRs and change your mind, can you change it the day of and not be penalized? I just assumed if I had made a ressie for one restaurant and cancelled that day because another spot at another restaurant had opened up, that I would get in trouble for it. I've always gone with what I scheduled because of this.

Ian
01-30-2008, 09:03 AM
If it was me, I'd join them rather than trying to beat them. At that time of the year, you're taking a very big risk going without ADR's.

MicMouse
01-30-2008, 10:19 AM
Thank you everyone!

Based on your posts, maybe I should make a few ADRs just in case.

:mickey:

Tygger7
01-30-2008, 10:37 AM
I just had to chime in, because I'm one of "those" people who LOVE making my ADR's 6 months out. We can only make it down to WDW about every other year, if we're lucky. So by the time we hit the 180-day mark, I'm so excited that I can't see straight. I'm a planner by nature....I'm okay with a little spontaneous outings or changes, but going to WDW without ADR's would give me an ulcer. :blush: I guess we've never felt "tied down" because of where we want to eat dinner. I make a tentative plan of what we're going to do each day of our trip, and changing our minds has never caused a major disruption. We have places we MUST eat at...Le Ceilier, Rose & Crown, California Grill, Tokoyo Dining, etc. this trip. Needless to say, I'm not spending the day at Epcot every time I plan on eating there, or definitely going to MK the night we go to Cali Grill. Only thing I'm 100% certain of is that the night we eat at Rose & Crown, we're staying for Illuminations. Right now, we're planning to be in AK that same morning, but if we get up that day and decide to go to Typhoon Lagoon instead, we're going. Yes, we're on the dining plan, but I'd plan like this even if we weren't. I'm a little goofy...what can I say. :D It just comes down to personal preference, and what you need to do to enjoy your vacation. Going without ADR's would ruin it for me and I'd be stressed the whole trip. For others, they get just as stressed planning things out. I'm just thankful that my husband & daughter are just like me, so my planning doesn't cause conflict. :party:

aurorafan
01-30-2008, 11:59 AM
I just had to chime in, because I'm one of "those" people who LOVE making my ADR's 6 months out. ....I'm okay with a little spontaneous outings or changes, but going to WDW without ADR's would give me an ulcer. :blush: It just comes down to personal preference, and what you need to do to enjoy your vacation. Going without ADR's would ruin it for me and I'd be stressed the whole trip. For others, they get just as stressed planning things out. I'm just thankful that my husband & daughter are just like me, so my planning doesn't cause conflict. :party:

ditto (except for the husband and daughter--mine is husband and 2 DS' ;)) :thumbsup:

lightyearfan
01-31-2008, 04:01 PM
well, your chances are 50/50 just walking up, it really depends on timing and if at that moment someone with a ADR cancels then you shouldn't have a problem, keep in mind that you're going in June and it's very crowded. we had a long weekend trip back in December and although we had ADR'S for our 4 days, on our last day we didn't have any and we had to eat at Casey's at Mk because everything was booked as far as a sit down and that was just for lunch, so imho i think that you'll have a 50/50 chance.

Victor