PDA

View Full Version : Child Health Concern & Standing in Lines

oilergirl
01-28-2008, 08:57 PM
This may be a question for a CM to answer but hopefully some of you other experts on the site might be able to provide some insight as well. My 5 year old daughter began having problems with her bladder about 3 months ago - no accidents as of yet but just the constant urge to pee. She will sit in the bathroom for 15-20 minutes "waiting" for it to come out. It was so bad at one point that she cried and cried whenever we had to go anywhere because there was nowhere to go to the bathroom in the van and she was terrified she would pee her pants. My question is not for shorter lines but what to do if we get stuck in the middle of a longer line and she has a problem? Is it easy to exit for a bathroom? Oh, this is currently under investigation by our family doc and so far ultrasound is clear (yea!). Thanks for reading if you got this far... take care.

irish1967
01-28-2008, 09:09 PM
oilergirl - I'm sending you a pm (since you are new, I didn't know if you checked for personal messages regularaly or not!)

#1donaldfan
01-28-2008, 09:32 PM
I do know that if one of my children had to go and had an underlying medical condition that necessitated frequent or urgent trips to the bathroom, I would have no problem whatsoever leaving the line to take care of it. Hopefully, I'd have another family memeber hold our place, and no amount of glares would stop me. The only problem is that if it's just you two, I'm not so sure you'd find a kind enough person to hold the spot of a stanger. If it were me, I'd hold your spot, no questions.....:thumbsup:

DisneyDudet
01-28-2008, 11:04 PM
Some people don't like the idea of you leaving the line, then returning. I doubt you'd want to explain your daughter's condition to them either. I would speak to a CM at the line entrance and let them know what is going on.

Also, with the use of FastPass, you may not have to wait in line a long time.

You are never stuck in a line, and can leave at any time. Its getting back IN the line that might be most problematic.

Others with more experience can help you better, but if things get bad, you can always try about a disability pass. I don't know if they will give you one since your daughter "looks ok", but a note from the dr may not hurt.

mrsgaribaldi
01-29-2008, 12:48 AM
I can't help you with your questions but I wanted to send some :pixie::pixie::pixie::pixie:to your daughter so that her problem is resolved soon. I would cry too. The poor little thing. If I was in line I wouldn't mind holding your spot and letting you back in. I hope you have a great trip:mickey:

Main Street Jim
01-29-2008, 08:56 AM
if it's a legitimate medical condition, you can get what is known as a "Guest Assistance Card" through Guest Relations, either at your resort or in the parks. This will allow you to use alternate methods for attraction entry, either through the FastPass line or a wheelchair entrance, thereby bypassing the "regular" line. The GAC will be good for up to six people, and for the length of your stay.

This way, you won't have to "pull out of line", then come back through the regular line.

oilergirl
01-29-2008, 11:04 PM
My, my, my... what a lovely group of people there are on this site. I was overwhelmed when reading your responses and even got a few tears in my eyes. Thank you all for your insight and suggestions. I am happy knowing there is a way out of line to hit a bathroom if need be. I honestly feel this doesn't warrant a special pass or anything as things have been better in the past few weeks so we are just going to get a game plan and try to ensure we hit a bathroom every couple of hours to try and prevent the problem from happening. However, in the event that she has a problem it is comforting to know we always have a way out... thank you all very much for responding. God bless.

WDW1985
01-29-2008, 11:18 PM
if it's a legitimate medical condition, you can get what is known as a "Guest Assistance Card" through Guest Relations, either at your resort or in the parks. This will allow you to use alternate methods for attraction entry, either through the FastPass line or a wheelchair entrance, thereby bypassing the "regular" line. The GAC will be good for up to six people, and for the length of your stay.

This way, you won't have to "pull out of line", then come back through the regular line.

Now that's some good advice! But, if you ever need to hop out of line and I'm around you can hop right back in no questions asked!!! :thumbsup: I've been there and know it's tough, especially while waiting for the Dumbo ride. That Dumbo ride gets me every time, but the smile on my little girl's face makes up for that long dreaded line. It's all for the kids. :joy:

Best wishes and God bless!

:mickey:
wdw1985

Hayden's Dad
01-30-2008, 09:16 AM
I second getting the Guest Assistance Card. That way you can enter through a shorter line and hopefully you won't have an incident. Just make sure you scope out the exits within the ride or show in case you need to leave in the middle. I would make sure you bring a note from her doctor since she doesn't have a visually obvious medical need for Guest Relations. Have fun. :mickey:

Cinderelley
01-30-2008, 11:31 AM
I'm glad it has been getting better in the last couple of weeks. Have you discussed using pyridium with your doctor? It's an over-the-counter medication that can "numb" the bladder so she might not have the urge to go all the time. It doesn't completely numb it though, so she'll know when it is time to go.

I know this is a pretty basic question, but has your doctor checked your DD for a bladder infection? My family gets them regularly, esp. if we drink/eat things with citric acid. The urinalysis doesn't always show up as positive right away for us though. Maybe he can recheck her again if he hasn't already.

Oh, if he does say she can try the pyridium, it will turn her urine funny colors of orange and yellow and there may be some staining on her undies.

wire0monkey
01-30-2008, 06:36 PM
I would take a doctor's note and ask for a guest assistance card anyway. If you need it, you'll have it. If you don't need it, you don't have to use it.

Poor thing. My son is five and he had a potty problem for medical reasons in December. It was very frustrating and upsetting for him and for me. We eventually got it resolved, but it was terrible.

Good luck.