PDA

View Full Version : 1st Night Dinner Plans

LeeAnn
01-28-2008, 01:19 PM
I usually like to do Character Meal and view the Electrical Water Pagant on our first night to get into the Disney spirit.

DH38, Me36, DD5, DS4, DD2
On a budget. Hoping for Free Dining. This meal would be out of pocket.

Need sugestions. Here are some thoughts...

1900 Park Fare Character Meal
(Probable will be doing another Character Meal later) - Cost: 29/14

Chef MickeyCost: 30/15

O'HannaCost: 27/13

Whispering Cayon Cafe:
Cost: 23/10
(Less for kids if I don't Do all you can eat skillet for Kids)
Would like a restaurant via monorail so we may view the EWP.

Not sure if to do Character Meal or not.

What has been your best experience w/ these restaurant?

Thanks.

CanadianWDWFan
01-28-2008, 03:10 PM
Choice #1
Our favourite dinner is 'Ohana. This is not a character meal though. They only do the breakfast character meal. Our boys, 9 and 4 LOVE the coconut races and if you are lucky you might get to watch Wishes from there as well. They pipe the music into the restaurant. We have seen the Water Pagent from 'Ohana's as well.

Choice #2
Chef Mickey's is also a good choice. The food choice is wide and varied. There will be something for everyone. Though it does get crowded and loud. The Character interaction, we found, was perfect for us.

Choice #3
We do like 1900 Park Fare, but we have only done it for breakfast so I can't comment on Dinner.

Choice #4
Whispering Canyon is our least favourite of your list. It is just to loud for our liking. My DW found that there was just TOO much meat for her likning. Although I wasn't complaining!:D

Choice #1-3 are all at resorts on the monorail as per your liking. WL is a bit further away although you could take the motor launch to MK.

Hope this helps.

May524
01-28-2008, 03:25 PM
A vote for Ohana! My neices (8 and 4) and nephew (2) liked this just as much as a character meal! They loved all the games that were played, the yummy food and enjoyed the resort! I wouldn't hesitate to book this restaurant. It's still talked about among them since June! :D

dolphinmickey9170
01-28-2008, 04:01 PM
Another vote for O'Hana!! YUMMY!!! Great food, fun atmosphere, funny entertainment and the kids get to dance and play.

lockedoutlogic
01-29-2008, 05:12 AM
Wolfgang Pucks at West Side is the perfect "off the plane" meal locations...

(ok...I know that's completely out of left field...but I had to get the plug in):party:

moe513
01-29-2008, 07:32 AM
Our tradition is to do O hana's. However it might be easier to stay closer to your hotel the first night.

LeeAnn
01-29-2008, 08:23 AM
We may stay @ Pop or the All stars so there's not much around that area. You have to travel anyway.

vamaggie
01-29-2008, 09:14 AM
What time do you get in? I hate to feel rushed to get to an ADR as soon as we arrive (esp in case something goes wrong at check in, airport etc) That said, I would vote for Ohanas even though we have never eaten there (could not get an ADR for a good time for us in Nov). Once at Poly you can eat, see the EWP and Wishes from the beach and the atmosphere is very relaxing.

tinksmom02
01-29-2008, 12:51 PM
I would say Ohana's or Chef Mickey's...We've done breakfast and dinner at 1900...breakfast was great, dinner was, too, but it's Cindy and family, so that might not appeal to your DS as much (although he's young enough to get excited about any characters!).

Ohana's is tons of fun, and you can't beat the fab 5 at Chef Mickeys'--great way to start the vacation!

And if you get the free dining, you can always figure out the cheapest of your ADR's and pay for that one OOP. For example, breakfast buffets are typically cheaper than dinners, so if you have one of those planned, that can be the one you pay for, and use the TS credit for the meal on your first night.

HTH!

KAT1811
01-29-2008, 05:46 PM
Our traditional first night dinner is 1900 Park Fare. We are not big buffet fans but love this restaurant. The food is wonderful and the character circulation and atmosphere is very relaxed (at least it has been while we were there). We ride the monerail beofre dinner and then make our traditional trip to the gift shop for an autograph book and pen before dinner. I'd say try that one, 'Ohana is probably a close second but we prefer a character dinner the first night to really get us in the Disney spirit!