PDA

View Full Version : Who is your MIL most like?

Dakota Rose
01-27-2008, 08:59 PM
I'm just wondering, which Disney character is your mother-in-law the most like?

I'd have to say mine is most like Ursula. She is sweet as sugar when she wants something I have and then after I give it to her, she's a witch for sure. And she's always looking to steal the Prince away from me!

dolphinmickey9170
01-27-2008, 09:27 PM
My MIL is non existent in our lives. She starved my DH as a child and he was raised by his grandparents. She has other children, and they haven't spoken to each other in a 27 year span. It's her way or no way. I'm so glad I have never met her, I'ld give her a piece of my mind.:mad:

pianobabe
01-27-2008, 09:37 PM
I am very blessed when it comes to my MIL. I got to know her as my friend before she became my MIL. She was my supervisor for 3 years before she introduced me to her son. I remember one night at work she came into the nursery (at that time I was working as an RN at The Birth Place of our local hospital) and she told me "I wish my son could meet someone like you". To me, that was the biggest compliment. It was later that year, that I met him. A little over a year later, we started dating and got married. I was married before, but I now have a MIL I can actually call Mom.

Funforall
01-27-2008, 09:57 PM
I absolutly love this poll. Don't tell my wife but Ursula definitely fits. I have decided it's better to stay away then get involved with the inevitable mess.

kakn7294
01-28-2008, 12:37 AM
My MIL was great - for the most part, she and I got along well. She passed away 9 years ago and I miss her terribly, especially since FIL remarried Debbie - she's a combo of all things evil.

mickeyfan2001
01-28-2008, 03:18 AM
I hate to admit it but my MIL is like the Queen. From the day I met her she has never liked me and quit having anything to do with her son once we were married. I never gave her a reason to dislike me but now I quit bitting my tounge. You can only be nice for so long. Once she quit talking to my husband we don't comunicate at all.

KAT1811
01-28-2008, 09:23 AM
I voted Cruella Deville because most of all my MIL is selfish and greedy, it's all about what you can do for her but she wants to do nothing for you. She really is a collection of all things evil, I would have liked to vote for all of them. Let's just say that our DD#3 has never been to her house and they live 3.5 miles down the road and she is retired. Too busy to bother with her grandchildren (not that I know what she does all day considering that she has no friends and my FIL is still working). She is quite the actress thiugh, she can put on a show like no other. Have to keep up appearances! Whatever, there comes s time when you just stop caring.

I never gave her a reason to dislike me but now I quit bitting my tounge. You can only be nice for so long.

:ditto: She pretends she is my friend but is very transparent.

disneydrmr
01-28-2008, 09:34 AM
I voted that even Disney can't make a character like my MIL... she and the rest of my dh's family put the 'fun' in dysfunctional... I could write a book about his family and everyone would think it was a fiction and not non-fiction. I can't even begin to tell all about MIL because this is a family friendly site and all.. but the things that have gone on in Dh's family - well... soap operas have NOTHING on his family! I'm glad that dh has broken all ties with them and we no longer have to deal with any of them!

mrsgaribaldi
01-28-2008, 09:36 AM
My MIL was so sweet, she was even nicer than my mother. She was the smallest little woman and so adorable. :mickey: She passed away going on 9 years ago. Her birthday is ground hog day and we used to joke that Mamie was looking to see if she saw her shadow. I miss her and I know that DH does very much too.

KAT1811
01-28-2008, 09:44 AM
My MIL was so sweet, she was even nicer than my mother. She was the smallest little woman and so adorable. :mickey: She passed away going on 9 years ago. Her birthday is ground hog day and we used to joke that Mamie was looking to see if she saw her shadow. I miss her and I know that DH does very much too.

You are very lucky to have had such a wonderful MIL. I'm so sorry to hear of her passing. I'm sure you have tons of wonderful memories to keep her spirit alive. I'm sure she's looking down on you both!

My MIL used to be very close and then she just turned when DH and I started to do very well. DH says she's always been like that and I jusr didn't see it before. Sad, but I am slowly getting over it, I have to or it will eat me alive.

ibrowse17
01-28-2008, 10:50 AM
Mine is a cross between Cruella and Ursula. She has stolen one thing or another from everyone around her, and lives in an empty house by herself. We have nothing to do with her. If my DW was anything like her, we would not be married. I needed a little vent action this morning, thanks:thumbsup:

mickey&missy
01-28-2008, 11:05 AM
This thread makes me laugh!! It also makes mes appreciate my MIL even more.

I picked the Fairy Godmother. But, really she's a cross between the Fairy Godmother and Flora/Funa/Merryweather. She's so sweet and loving, yet a tad on the dingy side (she always calls DD by DH's sisters name and vice versa, LOL!) My MIL is one of my best friends. I like my MIL more then my mom :secret:. I always know that if I'm annoyed at DH she'll be annoyed at him too. She's always there to help me or listen to and never complains or gripes!

She adores her grandkids and spoils them to death. She also spoils us ;) Our trip in March will be the second time she and FIL have taken us to WDW and paid the whole bill. She had me plan the whole trip so we did the things the kids wanted to do. I had a hard time spending her money, but she kept assuring me it was ok. DH is the one the picked GF and only after we found out the pool at Poly was going to be closed. We took them last time and will take them again in 12/09. We have a blast with them!

I'm very lucky !!

alphamommy
01-28-2008, 11:23 AM
I LOVE my MIL! She and my FIL have been a huge blessing to us through my three major illnesses.
I picked Fairy Godmother, because she did all sorts of magic for us in 2006 when I was in the hospital (3 weeks) and nursing home (1.5 months). They packed our house, helped DH move, took care of our DD, painted our new place (all or part of almost every room), enrolled DD at her new school, and picked me up for day trips out of the nursing home.

My own folks are deceased, and I couldn't have asked for better in-laws! I tell people that I am reaping the benefits of my own mom and sister having not-so-nice MILs!

MomPoppins
01-28-2008, 11:31 AM
Those of you with Fairy Godmother or Flora/Fauna/Merriweather MILs should definitely count your blessings!

My MIL is a real piece of work!! I don't think Disney could ever think of someone quite like her! When I met my husband, they weren't speaking because she'd thrown a tantrum the morning of DH's dad's funeral and refused to go. They were separated at the time, so she instead when to DH's dad's house (where the kids lived) and threw out all their things and even gave away his sister's car...so they came back from the funeral to a horrible shambles!

So when we got engaged, DH decided to try to patch things up and brought me to the house to introduce his mom to his future wife. He thought we were going to dinner, so I was all dressed in a cocktail dress, high heels, DH was in a suit, etc. MIL handed me a rag and had me clean her house and put DH to work moving furniture all around her house.

Thankfully, we moved 1500 miles away, but MIL still works her magic. A couple of years ago, she sent DH the e-mail address of his old high school girlfriend, letting him know that she is still single, a great catch and said that he should definitely try to "hook up" with her (and dump ME). This was just a few months after we had our first child (her first grandchild).

She's a doozy, all right!

c&d
01-28-2008, 11:56 AM
I am so lucky, I have a great MIL.

KAT1811
01-28-2008, 12:13 PM
She adores her grandkids and spoils them to death. She also spoils us ;) Our trip in March will be the second time she and FIL have taken us to WDW and paid the whole bill. She had me plan the whole trip so we did the things the kids wanted to do. I had a hard time spending her money, but she kept assuring me it was ok. DH is the one the picked GF and only after we found out the pool at Poly was going to be closed. We took them last time and will take them again in 12/09. We have a blast with them!

I'm very lucky !!

Do your in-laws want to adopt my family? We are very low maintanence. I cook and bake and DH is very handy around the yard! LOL!!!

May524
01-28-2008, 12:17 PM
My MIL is pretty much non exsistent. My DH lived with his dad from his teens and up. We saw her a total of 3x last year...once our wedding, 2nd when we told her we were expecting and 3rd when we invited her over for Christmas. She doesn't seem to interested in being a part in our lives...so oh well! :confused:

pogo
01-28-2008, 12:18 PM
Take the top four on your list and combine them and they wouldn't hold a candle to the old witch ! :mad:

Disney Doll
01-28-2008, 12:52 PM
This thread is too funny! Ever watch Everybody Loves Raymond? Marie is my MIL. Sweet when she wants to be, but very pushy & overbearing. A drama queen with a streak of manipulative conniving. :)

#1donaldfan
01-28-2008, 01:13 PM
I'm only answering this thread to warn you people that our spouses can go into our history and see what we're saying......I refuse to give a description of my MIL for fear, BIG fear...HA, HA !!! This post is very funny, still I cannot answer, nor will I ever....well maybe in a face to face discussion with you while waiting in line to ride a ride........whoa, this is too tempting though......gotta stop.....:thumbsup:

biodtl
01-28-2008, 02:46 PM
Sadly, my MIL passed away shortly before I woould have had the honor of calling her a MIL. But she was a Fairy Godmother all the way. Sweet and gentle and kind and loving.

Now, MY mom is a different story. I love her and she;s very generous and loving, but also a bit of an Ursula - manipulative and conniving. Poor DH!

goofysbabe
01-28-2008, 02:52 PM
I had to go with Fairy Godmother, she's really great! She does so much for us I just can't tell you. We also do a play & dinner on a monthly basis -just her and I. I love my MIL to death - THANK GOD I have her:thumbsup:

disneydrmr
01-28-2008, 03:18 PM
Take the top four on your list and combine them and they wouldn't hold a candle to the old witch ! :mad:

Oh my! Pogo - I believe this is only the second time I've ever seen you use that 'smilie'...you have me scared! :D

I'm only answering this thread to warn you people that our spouses can go into our history and see what we're saying......I refuse to give a description of my MIL for fear, BIG fear...HA, HA !!! This post is very funny, still I cannot answer, nor will I ever....well maybe in a face to face discussion with you while waiting in line to ride a ride........whoa, this is too tempting though......gotta stop.....:thumbsup:

I have no fear if my dh sees my post.. he would agree with me and actually - he would probably speak his full mind on the issue not caring that this is a family friendly site... MIL, SIL and FIL (I actually have two! well, had.. one is now dead, the other is out of our lives)... are all 'over the top' and again, no one would believe me if I listed out all that is wrong... to those of you with good MILs.. cherish them! You really don't know how lucky you are!

sorarail
01-28-2008, 03:34 PM
My MIL psychologically abused my DH when he was growing up. :mad:
Thanks to meditation, he was finally able to let her go this past year. He has no feeling for her one way or the other.
She died 10 years ago, just before our 15th wedding anniversary. I was sure she was trying to hold out for our special day, but she wasn't able to.
Also, I was never good enough for her son...I'm not of their nationality.
Luckily for DH, my DM treated him beautifully. She died this past June. DH misses her tremendously, as do I.

crazypoohbear
01-28-2008, 05:25 PM
My MIL is always in the backround there if we need her but never intrusive.
She told me when I had my 1st DS that she would do what her MIL did. Sit back and let me raise my kids, if I needed her for anything pick up the phone and call, she would be there. IF I didn't call she would assume that everything was going fine!
She has never told me what to do or how to do it. IF I had questions she would answer. When I needed help she was there.
My father died when DS as 7 Weeks old,
she came over took care of him while I did the funeral planning and stuff, made food for all of us, she stayed in the backround and "just did"
When I quit my job suddenly (bad child care) I called her up and said "I can't send DS back there, I'm giving my notice tomorrow, can you watch him for 2 weeks, she was there at 7:30 in the morning.
When I had major surgery when he was 9 months old she came to our house at 4am so DH could go to work and she took care of the baby, made dinners and made frozen meals that lasted 2 weeks when I got out of the hospital!
When I had my 2nd DS she did the same thing with #1 son while I was at the hospital. took care of him/DH and made frozen meals.
She was and is great.
She makes special desserts that she knows my DS's love, once my DH asked her why she didn't make blueberry cobbler any more and DS piped up with "grammy makes that for me all the time, I just hide it so I can eat the whole thing!" :D

Jimenyfan
01-28-2008, 05:36 PM
I am happy to say that I have a great relationship with my MIL, sure we had our struggles but she respects her place in mine and DH's relationship and doesn't overstep her bounds. Granted we live 500 miles apart so when we see each other it is for extended amounts of time but we always enjoy our time together. She could never replace my mom but I know she has always been there for me even when I complain about her son. Don't know if I could do that if someone complained about one of my boys.

Dakota Rose
01-28-2008, 11:03 PM
I have to agree. Those of you who have "good" MILs are so lucky! I also agree you can only be nice so long. I've demoted my niceness to civility. Mostly I let my DH deal with her now. But I often daydream about King Triton blowing her to bits with his scepter. :blush:

Stitchahula
01-29-2008, 10:10 AM
pogo I'm with you my MIL is in a class all by herself. On my ds's 1st birthday she told me to die, that she always hated me, asked if my son was my husbands child, and that she wouldn't be happy until she broke us up among other things. I heard a woman in a store the other day saying something about how you never like you DIL and I just thought how sad I have 2 beautiful little boys and I hope I like who they chose to spend their life with if not I hope I remember that it is their life not mine. So long as they are happy it should be enough.

prprincess
01-29-2008, 11:17 AM
I chose the last option because none of them are like her. My MIL is more like Veruca Salt...she's a spoiled prima donna, and when she doesn't get her way she throws a hissyfit.

Belle619
01-29-2008, 12:22 PM
This thread is too funny! Ever watch Everybody Loves Raymond? Marie is my MIL. Sweet when she wants to be, but very pushy & overbearing. A drama queen with a streak of manipulative conniving. :)

Oh my goodness, do we have the same mother in law?!?! Mine is the same way - sickly sweet at times, but then very manipulative with her children. She guilt-trips them into doing whatever she wants them to do, like not seeing their father and his new wife.

IloveDisney71
01-29-2008, 02:15 PM
Mine was most like the Fairy Godmother. Sweet, gentle, and would help you with anything! Sadly, she passed away in December. She is very greatly missed. But this poll brought a smile to my face when I saw that the Fairy Godmother was one of the options because that describes her perfectly! :)

mouseaddict
01-29-2008, 04:26 PM
I chose gentle but Dingy..but she is also a drama queen. My MIL is..well...not the smartest woman. She is more interested in finding another disease to be dying of than to see her grandchildren. My DD is 14 months old and cries every time she comes over. This woman lives 20 minutes from here and drives by my house every day on her way home from work. She never visits but always complains that she never sees her grandchildren. I will not take them to her house because my BIL and SIL still live with her and they are racist druggies and I will not expose my kids to that environment. (keep in mind my BIL is 25 and my SIL is 22)
It does make me happy to see that some of you have wonderful inlaws that are active in your kids lives..cherish it!)

Dakota Rose
01-29-2008, 06:21 PM
I'm glad to know I'm not the only one with a villian for a mother-in-law. My MIL would never actually tell me she hates me, she'd rather ignore I exist. That's okay, it's a two way street.

I do, however, have a surrogate MIL. Her stepson was my first ever BF. His wife could be my MIL's daughter, she's just that manipulative and mean. So Mary has adopted my husband so she can be my MIL. And she IS a Fairy Godmother.

MomPoppins
01-29-2008, 10:25 PM

No problemo -- DH agrees with me completely on his mom! The stories he could tell you would curl your toes! (There's a reason we moved 1500 miles away from MIL.)