PDA

View Full Version : Big Red and Little Red gone from Kilimanjaro Safaris?

disneygecko
01-27-2008, 07:17 PM
I just got back from Walt Disney World a few days ago and I noticed that Big Red and Little Red were gone from the storyline of Kilimanjaro Safaris! Little Red in the truck at the end of the ride was called "the baby elephant", or something similar to that. I also noticed that they did not say "tommies" at all during our safari either. Is it true that Disney has permanently changed Kilimanjaro Safaris?

BMan62
01-27-2008, 07:36 PM
I know that the dialog has changed - putting less emphasis on the "Big Red, Little Red" storyline.

Back in early Dec. I had noticed that there was no mention of 'Tommies' nor did I see any. Not sure what happened with them.

ibrowse17
01-27-2008, 07:39 PM
Glad to know I was not the only one who had noticed this. Wonder what the thinking or reasons were.

tiaramom
01-27-2008, 08:08 PM
I really enjoyed this new version much more . I
found the original a little too intense for my toddler. Im sure anyone over the age of 3 will be disappointed- though Im thrilled to not explain the scary parts anymore. I found the safari more relaxing this way. It is really a fun and beautiful ride through the animals...I will be on that safari ride one week from today,
YES!!!!

TheRustyScupper
01-27-2008, 08:33 PM
1) I had always thought the Big/Little Red plot was lame.
2) Well intended for conservation, but lame.
3) But, it is difficult to "theme" a safari ride.
4) There are many, many safaris out there and no one has a successful plot.
5) Better to just leave it as a safari, and kill the plot line.

Speedy1998
01-27-2008, 09:17 PM
I think the change was made sometime in 2006, it has been awhile since it was made. I remeber reports about it here on Intercot and other Disney fan sites.

WDWfanatic742
01-27-2008, 09:59 PM
The changes were made mid to late May 2007. I also thought that the Little Red storyline was a little lame as well and didn't really need to be in the ride.

automation85
01-27-2008, 10:02 PM
A previous thread mentioned a possible retheming of the show to include a new storyline, which seems much more likely than a complete abandoning of the end. Maybe they don't want to close the ride down just yet. I just don't think that the goal of the show was to be just a Safari. I always though it was to promote the WWF and protecting the wildlife. Curious, though, that they would remove the old storyline and leave nothing in its place.

lockedoutlogic
01-27-2008, 10:57 PM
The theming to a ride where you can almost reach out and touch a black rhino or a giraffe seemed like overkill from the start.

The safari is a living, breathing entity where nature is the imagination and excitement.

No storyboard artist in California could ever hope to come up wtih as good of a plotline...

But they do need to rework large amount of AK...a wrecking ball to Chester and Hester....a real children's land or new land where camp minnie mickey is...."more-a-zoo" by adding more species to the park...and continued development of more traditional disney shows and rides...

GrumpyFan
01-28-2008, 10:03 AM
I don't really think they need a story on the safari, other than the one that naturally tells itself about the animals and environment, but the one they came up with was very lame, especially for Disney.

wedway76
01-28-2008, 03:30 PM
I bet the poachers finally got them! :elephant:

D-ko
01-28-2008, 03:48 PM
I noticed it too. Seems like they just shortened the storyline. Oh well ...

AXOAlum
01-29-2008, 12:22 PM
I bet the poachers finally got them! :elephant:

:D Too funny! As big as I am on conservation and animal protection, I have always thought this was so super cheesy! I remember when the ride first opened and they had a real CM working holding a gun next to the "caught" poachers. We always wondered how much you'd have to mess up as an employee to get put on that job! But that didn't last long before it was changed to what it is (or was I guess) now.

lockedoutlogic - I agree 1000%