PDA

View Full Version : Which is better - MK Fireworks or Illuminations?

ljv1975
01-27-2008, 06:19 PM
Which display do you prefer? Also, how is the Spectromagic parade?

BouncingTigger
01-27-2008, 06:47 PM
Haven't seen Spectromagic, but I prefer Wishes over Illuminations. Both are good though.:mickey:

laughingplace<3
01-27-2008, 06:52 PM
Of course everything in Disney is great:magic:

With that said, the fireworks are fun... but in all honestly, I prefer IllumiNations. It's kind of hard to get a good viewing of the fireworks, unless you have a room at one of the resorts with a view or something. They aren't a must-see in my opinion, and there are always SO MANY PEOPLE watching them in the themepark, so even if you find an "ok" view, you will be standing/directly next to someone else/mushed.

IllumiNations is an excellent preformance! You can find many great viewing spots, and a handful of the restaurants has good viewing spots while you're eating. That's what we usually do, and it's great.

So, my vote would be for IllumiNations. :fworks:

SpectroMagic is my favorite parade in all of Disney World and you cannot miss it! It is amazing. I'm serious. You will fall inlove with it. I recommend seeing the time that is closest to the LATEST fireworks, and then leaving the park RIGHT after the parade- leaving the park after fireworks is an absolute nightmare :shake: , and it's hell if you are taking the buses. Another option is seeing the parade, and during the latest fireworks riding a couple of the big attractions and enjoying the small lines:D.

ParkMan
01-27-2008, 06:53 PM
I think they are somewhat different, so it kind of depends on what you'd like out of a show. If you have the time, I'd see both.

That said, if I only had 1 night, I'd do Illuminations.

CaptainJessicaSparrow
01-27-2008, 07:01 PM
It depends on personal preference. I used to be an avid Illuminations fan, until I started at MK. Then after seeing/hearing Wishes every night, that grew on me so I have a hard time not getting misty eyed with the bug golden, inspiration balls.

But I think if you like the classic Disney feeling, Wishes. If you are into the technical shows and more theatrics, then Illuminations. I think Illuminations is still up there though.

Spectro is okay, but far from being my favorite.

BMan62
01-27-2008, 07:26 PM
Both are excellent shows, but I prefer Wishes. A big part of my reasoning is that there a lot of low-level pyrotechnics in Illuminations and that causes large clouds of smoke to obscure some of what you can actually see - specially if you happen to be downwind.

Spectro is a can't miss!!! Saw it for the first time in Dec and won't miss it on another trip!

disneymom15
01-27-2008, 07:29 PM
I really like both, but if I had to pick a favorite I'd say Wishes. Husband and I met on 4th of July so fireworks displays are near and dear to our hearts.

Polynesian Dweller
01-27-2008, 08:01 PM
It is a bit of an apple and oranges comparison. Illuminations only uses fireworks for part of its show and Wishes is all fireworks. Its which you prefer. For us its Wishes and really because its easier to see it well. It can be hard to get spots at Illuminations.

Spectormagic is a great parade and should definitely not be missed. However, for us, we've seen it so often its become a bit stale so we don't go out of our way to see it. But if you haven't seen it before, then its an absolute must.

GrmGrninGost
01-27-2008, 09:53 PM
Both are tremendous, but to me the fireworks over the castle is what Disney is all about!
As far as the Spectromagic Parade, it is very good. We watch it at least once every vacation. But, in my mind, the Main Street Electrical Parade was better! :mickey:

linedropper
01-27-2008, 11:12 PM
I love the Spectromagic parade! Something about the theme and the music and the fact it is not every night! I was there for it waiting in the rain last thursday and loved it!

As for fireworks, I love the wishes, Illuminatiions is great, But what I saw at the P & P party last night is my favorite right now. Don't know if it was because it was my last night or what! But the fireworks seemed to be going off from every direction, And when the pirates attacked the castle! Awesome! The villian part was great! Overall the best fireworks show I have seen!

L:inedropper:mickey:

4myprincesses
01-27-2008, 11:15 PM
If I had to pick one of the two, Wishes it would be. Illuminations is good, but it's different...Wishes must be my style. I'm always amazed at how many people in the crowd sing along with "star light, star bright..." Sigh

Spectromagic is not to miss. We LOVE it just as much as Wishes. In fact, it's my ringtone :)

katzctkpt
01-27-2008, 11:17 PM
Most definately the wishes and spectro magic parade at MK is better than illuminations. I also, have to mention this I really like the Fantasmic Show at Disney Studios (MGM). If you haven't planned to watch this then I do recommend to try and fit it into your schedule.

jedi jen
01-28-2008, 12:28 AM
Gotta say Wishes. It is one of my favorite things to do at Disney--Wishes is must do for me. :mickey:

ihavealipfreckle
01-28-2008, 12:46 AM
Both are amazing. But there is something extra magical about wishes. It might be a personal thing. But I tear up when I hear it. And when I'm there watching it, surrounded by my sisters and my dad. It's perfection.

Figaro
01-28-2008, 12:53 AM
hmm.. A tough question. I like Wishes! but I seem to like Illuminations more.

I have to agree here tho....

But I think if you like the classic Disney feeling, Wishes. If you are into the technical shows and more theatrics, then Illuminations. I think Illuminations is still up there though. -CaptainJessicaSparrow

Meghan
01-28-2008, 02:14 AM
There are great things about both shows, but if I had to choose it would definatly be Wishes. It's more... sentimental to me. It tugs on the heart strings. I would probably like Illuminations a lot more if it weren't for the 5 minutes or so when all there is, is the globe spinning. It's like the intermission to the show or something. A bit boring on repeat viewings if you ask me. (Just that part, the rest of the show is always great)

DDuck66
01-28-2008, 09:57 AM
Both are tremendous, but to me the fireworks over the castle is what Disney is all about!
As far as the Spectromagic Parade, it is very good. We watch it at least once every vacation. But, in my mind, the Main Street Electrical Parade was better! :mickey::ditto:
MSEP is a classic and IMHO Spectromagic pales in comparison.
That being said I would not be able to pick between the two (Wishes vs Illuminations) and why should we have to...I always see both of them and love them for different reasons.

scootch713
01-28-2008, 10:03 AM
Spectromagic is my daughters most favorite thing out of EVERYTHING at WDW to see. We see it every night that it is on during our stay without question. Haven't seen Illuminatins, we like Wishes, but after 4 years we are a bit tired of it.

mickey&missy
01-28-2008, 10:39 AM
Wow! This is a really hard question for me to answer!

We've seen Wishes half a dozen time at least. I LOVE :fworks: Wishes for the magic of it all. It's beautiful, the music is wonderful and the setting is 2nd to none!

But, Illuminations (We've only seen once) is so grand and dynamic! It's truely phenomenal!

If I had to pick, I guess I would pick Wishes. But, I really wouldn't want to have to!

We haven't :-o seen SpectroMagic yet! We saw a tiny part of it on our first trip. That was before I found Intercot and didn't know how everything worked. We kind of stumbled on the crowd (and I do mean crowd) of people on bridge from Tommorrowland and the hub. We couldn't really see anything and it was probably halfway through. I will not leave WDW until we see it next trip!!!

#1donaldfan
01-28-2008, 12:12 PM
We're a spectro kinda family......we did not care for epcots illum......actually to top 'em both is MGM's fantasmic....now that's a show!!

Marker
01-28-2008, 12:34 PM
That's a really tough question. If I had to pick just one, I'd probably go with Illuminations. But honestly, they are all fantastic. I hope I never truly have to choose just one.

splashtest
01-28-2008, 12:49 PM
It's Wishes for me. Illuminations bores me....

laprana
01-28-2008, 02:13 PM
I really like both shows, but I would have to pick Wishes over Illuminations. As others have said, there's just something more magical about Wishes - the castle, maybe? Whatever it is, it makes me tear up every time I see it! Illuminations is a different kind of show with more than just fireworks. It also has the globe and some lasers, so it's not too fair to compare the two. Spectromagic is excellent and shouldn't be missed if you haven't ever seen it before! During busier times of the year, they sometimes have 2 showings of Spectro - one before Wishes and one after, just as the park is closing. If you're there when it's shown twice, definitely hit the second parade, and take advantage of the short ride lines during the first! :thumbsup:

Jasper
01-28-2008, 02:36 PM
I agree with those who say comparing the two is like comparing apples to oranges. Both are great but illuminations really gives you more of a stage show combined with pyrotechnics and other effects while wishes is really just about the fireworks.

If at all possible I would suggest taking in both. However, if you absolutely can only take in one, my preference is for wishes. I can't really explain why, but wishes just seems like a more classic end to the day at the park.

KODABEAR
01-28-2008, 03:10 PM
We enjoy all three but :flag:Illumination's is our must see. :minnie2:

ibrowse17
01-28-2008, 09:34 PM
Wishes just has a Disney magic feel to it, so it gets my vote:thumbsup:

NJ Camper
01-28-2008, 09:49 PM
Diffently wishes I thought I heard spectromagic was being cancelled some time soon?????? hope not i love it if you can do all of them they are all worth seeing :mickey:

Tink#64
01-28-2008, 10:57 PM
IllumiNations! Hands down, bar none! :fworks: It is an awesome show and an amazing treat for the senses! You can feel the heat and the boom of the fireworks, see all of the pavillions lit up to the music and the globe is fantastic! This is definitely mine & DH's fav night time event. DS's fav is Fantasmic! We all love SpectroMagic & Wishes as well,& we always do all of the events, but we have our fav's that we'd see twice if time allowed! :thumbsup:

EpcotFan182
01-29-2008, 08:02 AM
Illuminations! I think it's one of the greatest fireworks shows ever and holds a special meaning.

Spectromagic is a pretty good parade. I've only seen it once and the crowds were pretty heavy.

CaptainSad
01-29-2008, 08:35 AM
I would have to say Iluminations with the extended "Let There Be Peace On Earth" version for the Christmas season is my Favorite. Also the extended versions of Wishes for the MNSSHP and MVMCP. As for the Parades, again I like the MNSSHP and MVMCP versions. I do like Spectromagic also.

Main Street Jim
01-29-2008, 08:52 AM
Illuminations :thumbsup:

minniemickeylover
01-29-2008, 10:19 AM
I liked them all, but the better of the two is IllumInations, because it was more exciting and had better fireworks. :mickey:The Spectromagic Parade is really cool, but very crowded. If you want a good spot you have to get there early.:thumbsup:

lightyearfan
01-29-2008, 11:34 AM
well in the past me and dw would have said that illuminations was the best fireworks show, but in our past 3 trips MK Wishes has really overtaken it. i don't know if the castle being there with the fireworks going off overhead is it but it's become something special. as far as Spectromagic we feel that this is 1 of the best parades the WDW has, it's real special for us , because that was the first parade that we ever saw at WDW way back in 95, so it will always have a special meaning to us.

Victor