PDA

View Full Version : Fort Wilderness recreation...we can't do any of it!

mouseketeer mom
01-27-2008, 09:36 AM
Since we are staying at the WL in April, I figured we would try the Trails End buffet at the Fort Wilderness one night and either horseback ride before dinner, or carriage ride after, just for something new. Well, there goes that plan. My kids will be 14, 12, and 8 1/2 when we come. I called last night and was told my son has to be at least 9 and 48 inches tall. Well, he's 8 1/2 and 51 inches tall, so there goes that plan. He also weighs too much for the Pony riding, there goes that idea, ...so I thought I would reserve a carriage ride after dinner instead. Well, the larger carriage accomodates 2 adults and 3 kids, but they said 2 of my kids are considered adults!!! I explained they are small, under 100 lbs and under 5 feet tall, no go. So no carriage ride either...I'm bummed out, thinking that would be such a great way to spend an evening. Any other different ideas for us??

buzznwoodysmom
01-27-2008, 10:21 AM
Hey Lisa,

Going back so soon! Sorry to hear than none of your plans are working out. We had something similar happen when we stayed at WL around Christmas in 04. We tried to book a sleigh ride and couldn't. My mom and nephew were in a room next to us and we didn't want to leave them out. However the sleigh ride only allowed 5 people and we had six. Even though Collin was 4 and only weighed about 25 pounds and Landon was 2 and didn't even weigh 20 and I could have held him on my lap they didn't let. I understand their rules and all, its just diappointing when you really want to do something and just can't.

That aside, I hope you have a great time. We always love staying at WL. Its my kids favorite resort. I can't believe you are going back so soon. Say hi to Mickey for me!

NJ Camper
01-27-2008, 11:27 AM
You could rent those little boats and ride around the lake,depending on time you could go to the movie night they offer there i'm sure there is more but thats off the top of my head for now good luck and have a magical time :mickey:

Janmac
01-27-2008, 12:21 PM
We love eating at Trail's End. It has a lot of comfort food and plenty of boiled shrimp which is a big hit with us.

There are a lot of little fun things you can do around the Pioneer Hall area, before you go in to eat. Part of the fun is in exploring.

There are rocking chairs on the porch and that is a lot of fun for older folk :D - sitting and rocking. Especially while the younger or more adventurous try the foot massager across the walkway from the rockers. Give your kids a number of quarters and send them over to the barrel looking things while you rest in the rocker. They will have a lot of fun sitting in the foot massagers.

There are usually a few vendor carts outside Pioneer Hall. We have to spend some time looking through the pins at the pin cart.

If you look beyond the foot massagers you'll see one of the Fort Wilderness Trading Posts. These are a lot of fun to walk through, even tho they're "only" stores. They do have some souvenirs as well as camping supplies. On your way from Pioneer Hall to the Trading Post you might pass the lawn mower tree, which has an ingrown reel mower near its base.

Also, to your right, as you're rocking, is the horse barn, if they still have the horses in there. These are the big trolley pulling horses and we have enjoyed walking through the barn and looking at the various photos, even when the horses aren't there.

Depending on how early you arrive, you might have time to rent bikes and bike around some of the camping loops. You'd want to find out what time the Bike Barn closed. Check at Info Central. Best to phone the Bike Barn.

For after supper you could hop an internal bus and go to the Meadows Trading Post area and the campfire and movie. If it's not raining. On our June 04 camping trip our grandkids, 13 and 12 at the time, tried the movie repeatedly but all but one night (our last) it got rained out. You can get lots of info here at Intercot either at Info Central or by doing a search at the Camping forum.

If you'd rather hang out around the Pioneer Hall area, you can head down to the beach and see the Electric Boat Parade go by. Most of our family think this is too cheesy to waste time on but I love it. You can also get a different view of Wishes from the beach area and sometimes the speakers on the beach are even audible.

You'd want to check for Wishes and the boat parade times and perhaps time your meal. We have usually been seated quickly at Trails End but we can easily spend an hour or more eating. This might be because we usually go to WDW with extended family.

Enjoy!

Jan

slegrant
01-27-2008, 01:28 PM
The Campfire with Chip and Dale is a great idea for before or after dinner, just depending on the time you eat. It is not a far walk from Trails end and it will give you a chance to see what Fort Wilderness is about. Right around Trails end area there is the Davy Crockeett Arcade and right across form the arcade is a great playscape. So sit back in the rockers and take in the scenary. When you come to Fort Wilderness from the lodge you can come by boat, bus or our favorite walking the Wilderness Path, It is a path that connects WL to FW and it is beautiful. Last but not least watch the Electrical Water Parade at the beach it's very cool. We love Fort Wilderness and know that you will enjoy your time there. The Wilderness lodge is also one of my family's favorite's. So enjoy your stay.:chip::dale:

LONESTAR
01-27-2008, 08:14 PM
They have a hay ride that your whole family could go on. Also depending on how long you will be in FW you could rent a golf cart for the day $50 then tour the whole campground. But you would need to reserve a cart months in advance. They also have a segway tour but this is in the morning.

RocklandRVers
02-06-2008, 03:43 PM
Since we are staying at the WL in April, I figured we would try the Trails End buffet at the Fort Wilderness one night and either horseback ride before dinner, or carriage ride after, just for something new. Well, there goes that plan. My kids will be 14, 12, and 8 1/2 when we come. I called last night and was told my son has to be at least 9 and 48 inches tall. Well, he's 8 1/2 and 51 inches tall, so there goes that plan.

As someone who deals in figures all day, I may have the answer. In the scenario for the horseback ride everyone is OK except you youngest who has the height but is lacking the so called minimum age. Now here is the tricky part. You state the child is 8-1/2. Is over 8-1/2? Why not use rounding. In other words the IRS allows you to round up or down so why wouldn't Disney. So maybe the child is 8 years, 6 months and 1 day old. Rounded up thats 9!!

My point is Disney does not check and besides the age is arbitrary. Lets say this child's 9th birthday was the day after the ride. Again TECHNICALLY the child is not yet 9, but what about the MATURITY level? At the child's current 8-1/2 is the child mature enough physically and mentally to ride in your best judgement as a parent. If so, when asked say the child is 9 and leave it at that.

faline
02-07-2008, 11:19 AM
Moderator Note:

If Disney's rules say the child must be 9 to participate, the child must be 9.

Intercot's terms of service do not allow any discussion on how to cheat the system. Please do not discuss how to avoid or "bend" Disney's rules.

NJ Camper
02-08-2008, 12:13 PM
You would think that height and weight would be the bigger concern that is what they use on rides in the parks you must be this talk to go on this ride not what age are you unless it is a insurance thing with horses alone because it sounds silly to ride EE but not a horse just my 2 cents but agree rules are rules

RocklandRVers
02-08-2008, 02:17 PM
MY SINCEREST APOLOGIES ABOUT RULES. :secret:

That being said I am sure there will be plenty of fun stuff to do on your visit to Pioneer Hall. Most of them free such as just simply walking around and checking out the RVs and site decorations.

Tygger7
02-08-2008, 02:48 PM
I'd check into the hayride. I can't remember all the details off hand, but I know there's info on Info Central. It's quite reasonable, and would still get you in the Ft. Wilderness spirit. :D

NJ Camper
02-09-2008, 12:03 PM
You can also see if you can rent a golf cart for the time you are there i've heard they do rent by the hour or day depending on how long you want to there is the campfireshow ,movies at night,the little boats on the lake,the arcade inside trailsend and i'm sure more that i missed and if nothing else you should be fine on your next trip and maybe he can do more rides also being bigger have a magical time i'm sure he will find things to do :mickey: