PDA

View Full Version : The best resorts, and why

Disney-lovin' Dutchman
01-26-2008, 05:46 PM
Hi guys..

I'm having real problems in choosing which Disney resort I want to stay at..there are so many choices and I have never seen any of the resorts myself

What, in your opinion, is the resort that gives the most bang for its buck?

Hair_Razor
01-26-2008, 05:52 PM
Where do you normally stay I saw that you have been here before. As for me I have only been to Pop and we enjoyed it. It was nice for a budget. Good luck on your plans.

DreamFinder2
01-26-2008, 06:01 PM
I'd shoot for at least a Moderate resort if you can swing it...you can see where I've stayed in my signature, and it was really a toss-up between AKL and Wilderness Lodge...which didn't make your list.

All of Disney's on-site resorts are pretty amazing, though.

:mickey:

DisneyorBust
01-26-2008, 06:07 PM
As you can tell by my signature, we love the POLY :tikki:. Depending on what you want and want to spend I don't think that you can go wrong with any Disney resort. If we can afford a trip this year we plan to give Carribean Beach Resort a try.

Wrigley
01-26-2008, 07:13 PM
Like others have said, you can't really go wrong with any of the Disney resorts. I have stayed at all 3 levels (budget, moderate, and deluxe). I also would try to swing for at least a moderate resort if you can. As far as a moderate resort, I would definately choose Caribbean Beach. I have stayed here several times and just love it. As far as a deluxe resort, I would choose Wilderness Lodge but it didn't make the list, so I would choose the Contemporary Resort. Have fun planning your trip!:mickey:

Tygger7
01-26-2008, 08:01 PM
We've stayed in all 3 types, and our all time favorite is the Wilderness Lodge. It didn't make the poll, but that's my #1 choice. The Contemporary is nice, but if you have more than 2 people in the room, the lack of a vanity in the bathroom is a real pain, as there's no where to put your toiletries. My 2nd choice would be the Poly....the rooms are awesome and it's so convenient to the MK. Only downside is that it's more expensive than WL.

Funforall
01-26-2008, 08:45 PM
When I can afford it, AKL is out of this world (or at least this country).

It's been at least 10 years and 30 visits since we've stayed off site. There are so many awesome choices and too many reasons to mention. Because of cost though, we mostly stay in the value resorts to get the bang for the buck.

#1donaldfan
01-26-2008, 09:50 PM
I guess I'm going to have to do a write in vote and go for POR Riverside......I know it's not in your selection, but IMHO it's the best resort.:mickey:

pogo
01-26-2008, 09:54 PM
The Poly is the best, hands down. :thumbsup:

It's like being in Hawaii :cloud9: but you don't have the long plane ride and you are accross the lagoon from MK. :mickey:

Stay there one time and you'll understand. :D

rj
01-26-2008, 10:06 PM
Poly b/c of the monorail to MK and Epcot.

01-26-2008, 10:10 PM
I voted for the Poly but the Contemporary is a very close 2nd. The Poly just feels more relaxing and better themed but I also like the Contemporary for it's "contemporary" look and feel. That's why we take turns now with both the Poly and CR. Contemporary will be our next stay. We haven't stayed there since they upgraded the rooms so I'm looking forward to that. They are both convenient being on the monorail line.

jedi jen
01-26-2008, 11:20 PM
We love the Contemporary. It is the best deal on the monorail, and I, DD(5) and DS(9) love it. It is booked for our next trip, so we are going to try the Polynesian. The kids so love the Contemporary, they were disappointed. I know we will enjoy the Poly though.

Brian
01-27-2008, 02:14 AM
From your list, I'd choose the Contemporary. What it may lack in theming, it makes up for in terms of location, monorail access, and price. (Price in relation to most of the other Deluxe resorts.) Plus, the refurbished rooms are very nice.

If you include hotels that aren't on your list, I'd highly recommend the Wilderness Lodge. It's our favorite resort.

In my mind, the biggest bang for your buck is to book the lowest-priced Deluxe resort. Not factoring in discounts that may change the price, this means either the Wilderness Lodge or Animal Kingdom Lodge.

GrmGrninGost
01-27-2008, 09:42 AM
I had to vote Poly out of your choices, but, if given my choice it would be Wilderness Lodge. :mickey:

WDWgoofy
01-27-2008, 10:22 AM
AKL and CBR are our favorites. For this poll I voted for AKL as this is truly a unique resort in all the world.

Both resorts are well themed and the rooms are nicely sized. An added benefit of CBR is its central location.

The only problem is that I have no plans to visit either resort.:crying:

Marker
01-27-2008, 10:48 AM
My favorite would probably be Port Orleans - Riverside, but honestly, I'm not really comfortable picking a favorite. I've enjoyed my stay regardless of where it was.

Thus far, I have never stayed at a deluxe resort and don't plan to in the near future. I suppose I will at some point, but for me it's just not worth the extra expense. I hear a lot of people say "you get what you pay for, and if you pay more you get more", well that may be true, but if you have no need for extra stuff you get, then it's still not worth it.

I love the look and feel of Port Orleans - Riverside. However, I also really enjoy the theming at the All*Star resort. I love the brightness, the colors, and the giant icons. I love the atmosphere, to me it's a much more relaxed feel, and that's much more my style.

J.T.Toad
01-27-2008, 11:17 AM
Hello

Some rambling on by JT Toad

Where you stay at WDW really depends on a person’s own financial situation and desires.
The 3 tier system that is Value, Moderate and Deluxe resorts was designed to maximize Disneys profits by allowing people from all income levels to stay on property.
Once you decide at what level of accommodations you wish to stay at the next questions you would have to ask yourself is what am I interested in. I have stayed in 2 deluxe resorts the Polynesian and the Contemporary and 2 DVC villas, the Boardwalk and the Beach Club. Each Resort is a great place to stay for different reasons. But these four Resorts do share on thing in common, that is the ease of transportation and their proximity to a major theme park. And this is why these resorts are first on my list.
If you have young Children you might want to stay at the Polynesian or the Contemporary. The proximity to the Magic Kingdom can’t be beat.
Older Teens would like Storm along bay over at the Beach Club.
Personaly I like the atmosphere of World Showcase in Epcot during the food and wine festival. You can’t get any closer than The Beach Club. If you grew up in the city you might give the Wilderness lodge a go.

I would consider bumping up my vacation to late September or October so you can be there during the food and wine festival.:cheers:

Good luck
JT

MickeyMousse
01-27-2008, 12:54 PM
Out of what you had posted, I voted for the Boardwalk Inn. We enjoy all of the dining choices and being within walking /boat distance of Epcot and MGM.:thumbsup:

chicade88
01-27-2008, 02:56 PM
I'm with the other posters who have said to go with a moderate if you can swing it. I had always stayed moderate with my family and staying at the Pop last year was just not for us. It really did hurt my vacation experience a lot. It never felt like we were actually on vacation - there was NO relaxation factor! But, we don't have kids so this could be a reason why we felt a tad out of our element. Just my two cents.

Oh, and we really like Coronado Springs in the cabanas section (the pool area is awesome!) but Caribbean Beach looks good as well.

moe513
01-27-2008, 04:59 PM
Most deluxe levels have great locations. FOr that reason we like the yc. It didnt make your list so i pick the bwi. The epcot resorts are so close to epcot,mgm and all that goes on on the boardwalk. We wont go anywhere else.

FiggyFan
01-27-2008, 05:13 PM
From the available choices, I chose Poly.

I consider the Seven Seas Lagoon area to be the heart of WDW. Walking around the resort with views of the castle, CR, GF, the monorail going around the lagoon, the sound of the ferries - it is magical. You also have easy access to both monorail routes. Walking the resort grounds in the evening is quiet and relaxing - romantic if it is just the two of you, or a good way to help the kiddies wind down and get ready for sleep.

Since DS has gotten a bit older, and we have joined DVC, we have been staying in the BWV and BCV resorts. A very different (but also very enjoyable) experience. We still make a tradition of doing a monorail tour of CR, Poly, and GF during our trip. We usually get off at the TTC and stroll through the Poly grounds along the way.

laughingplace<3
01-27-2008, 08:02 PM
I LOVED Contemporary when I stayed there, but I was on the club floor. I don't know if I'd be that crazy about it on the normal floors for the price per night. I also really didn't like the pool.

Pop is biggest bang for your buck.:) However, my vote is going to go with AKL that rounds it off if you can afford it- it's great and totally worth the price. Second would be pop.

chrisandmattsmom
01-27-2008, 08:15 PM
We LOVE the Wilderness Lodge, but that didn't make your list!

WDWfeelslikehome
01-27-2008, 08:37 PM
The Poly is amazing as far as theme and proximity to MK. The views that you can have from your balcony in a savanah view room at AKL are unmatched. But DW and I are in love with the BW area, so I went with the BWI.

DisneyorBust
01-28-2008, 08:03 AM
Hey Dutchman, I 'm back! I listed my favorite resort but not the "WHY'.
Some of the many reasons that I love the POLY.
Monorail resort- ease of transportation to MK and Epcot.
Beautifully landscaped, very enjoyable resort to stroll thru.
Variety of Longhouses to stay in with MK views, lake views, pool views and garden views.
'WISHES' from the beach each night with the music playing thru hidden speakers. (Great view by the way)
Friendly staff
In the newest Longhouses (Tokealu, Rapa Nuie etc) you have a larger than average room, even for a deluxe resort.
Let us know when you make your decision and have a great trip to WDW!

RAIDER
01-28-2008, 08:07 AM
Ive only stayed at the CBR so i had to vote for that.The reason why i like it is because it has many private pools the beach and the beautiful surroundings give it that relaxing edge :mickey::thumbsup:

Here we go again...
01-28-2008, 09:25 AM
Hi guys..

What, in your opinion, is the resort that gives the most bang for its buck?

Well, it all depends on how many bucks you have. :D

Every thing depends on how much you are willing to spend. If you want Deluxe, my favorite is Wilderness lodge.
Moderate, my favorite is CBR.

Have you checked out the photos on the Resort page (http://intercot.com/resorts/disney/default.asp) here on Intercot?
Also, Magical Journeys (http://www.yourmagicaljourneys.com/Resorts/GalleryMain.htm) has some great resort pictures. Check them out.

The bottom line is what are you willing to spend? You can not go wrong at any resort on Disney property. You asked which gives you the most bang for your buck.
I say Wilderness lodge because it is deluxe accomodations with out the high price. You do not have the Monorail line, but you can see MK from the resort and watch the foreworks and water parade from the beach (or your room, depending on where you end up).

If you go moderate, CBR is very roomy and has a great tropical feel. The resort is spread out, but has pools and bus stops near all of the rooms. It feels like going on a tropical vacation every time you get back from the parks. :cloud9:

robemcdo
01-28-2008, 09:39 AM
In my opinion, the best bang for your buck is a Sunday-Thursday stay at DVC. WE love the Boardwalk...atmosphere, stuff to do, great pool, walk to Epcot or MGM...(Biggest disadvantage is the 800 M walk to your room). It normally ends costing under $200 a day (Taxes included) for a studio at a deluxe resort. Hard to beat that for value, and accommodation.

You need to get on this early however, as it seems to fill up quickly depending on the time of year.

SurferStitch
01-28-2008, 10:06 AM
I voted for the Poly, but it's definitely NOT the best bang for the buck. It's a beautiful hotel, but our favorite is the Grand Flo, which isn't on your list. But, in your list, it was our favorite.

The reason I don't feel the Poly is a great value is because for just a couple hundred more for a week's stay, you can be at the Grand Flo. The Poly used to be considerably less than the Flo, but not anymore. For the money, I'd go with the Flo (and we are in May :thumbsup:).

Best bang for the buck in your list.... Pop. Great hotel, clean rooms that aren't small at all, great food court (which wasn't that busy when we ate breakfast there around 7:30-8:00 am), great theming, and excellent bus service.

BUT....if a deluxe is in your budget....DO IT!!! I wouldn't pay a deluxe price and not be on the monorail, so if the Flo isn't your taste, do the Poly or Contemporary.

DDuck66
01-28-2008, 10:16 AM
It is really hard to decide based on all the poll options. It really depends on what you want from your resort. If all you need is a bed to place your weary head, then I would go for a Value Resort (POP). If you want to really enjoy the resort (Sleep, swim, shop, etc) then I would suggest a moderate (CBR). If you can afford it then go with a Delux. We do not usualy stay at the Deluxes all the time but this year we are splurging for the POLY.
Good luck!!!!

scootch713
01-28-2008, 10:17 AM
If you plan on going to MK alot, like my girls hit it almost daily at some point... the the monorail is the way to go. I voted for Poly for the ambiance, but we equally love the Contemporary for the closeness feel to MK. We just like the Poly pool better.

yjgirl715
01-30-2008, 11:58 AM
We went in May and stayed at the CBR- it was great- the rooms were very nicely decorated. The landscaping was nice. There weren't many crowds. I would give this resort :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Goes4FastPass
01-31-2008, 10:22 AM
POFQ which has a great balance of price and features.

goofy for pluto
02-02-2008, 10:13 AM
Our favorite resort is Port Orleans Resort Riverside, for the money we think it's the best!
:number1:
But with the choices that you had on your list, I voted for the Poly, for the same reasons everyone else has already mentioned. It is a wonderful place to stay! :lei:
The best part is no matter which resort you choose, you will be at Disney and staying on the property. Which I think we all agree is the best way to feel the magic of Walt Disney World.
:pixie:

jefmblrd
02-02-2008, 12:17 PM
Okay, I have to go off the chart here and choose Beach Club. I love the theming and the colors. The pool is the best on Disney property, and the location is the best. It's a five minute walk to Epcot and a 20 minute boat ride to the Studios. Eliminating two busses is a great thing in itself. Beaches and Cream is right there and the whole Boardwalk area is just a great place to explore.

Kathie_WE
02-02-2008, 12:42 PM
We have staid at every moderate and value... and Animal Kingdom and Wilderness Lodge. I was having a hard time deciding betwen Animal Kingdom and Coronado Springs until I saw that you wanted "bang for your buck" then the choice was easy... Coronado Springs.

CS is the best value at Disney for 5 main reasons: ammenities, themeing/design, pools, location, and the relaxation factor.

1) Ammenities: In addition to all of the typical Disney items, this is the only moderate with a health club & spa. IMHO, CS also has the best food court at Disney as well as a very nice sit down restaurant. The resort also have a small lagoon with boats and fishing excursions.

2) Themeing/Design: The grounds at CS are beautiful!!!! They are probably the most lush and peaceful of any of the resorts (except the Poly). There are lots of walkways, sitting areas, and hammocks. So the grouds are great for running, walking, or relaxing with a book. You can even rent a bike if you wish. The Resort is composed of 3 sections -- Casidas, Rancheros, and Cabanas -- and each has its own nice theme and design style. The Rancheros are a bit far from the main pavillon and is not our favorite theme so we ask not to be put there and our request has always been granted.

3) Pools: CS has 4 pools -- 1 in each section and 1 large main pool. Each is in a nice location and well sized. The main pool also has a spa, tall slide, volleyball court, sandbox area, and kids play area.

4) Location: CS is close to AK, EPCOT, and DMS, so the bus rides to these 3 parks are pretty quick and easy. MK is a bit further and DD is the furthest away, but really no bus rides are that long.

5) Relaxion Factor: CS is a bit off the main the path so it feels a bit more relaxing. It allows you down time from the parks which is nice after a while. The resort has sooo much to offer that if you want to take a day away from the parks, this is the place.

I would say of the 5-6 mini trips we take to Disney each year, we stay at Coronado Springs 3-4 of them. We think it is like paying for a deluxe with the ammenities of a moderate. I highly recommend it for all anyone!!!!:thumbsup:

Enjoy!

Kathie

joonyer
02-02-2008, 12:47 PM
If the $$$ is a critical part of the decision, then the best bag for the buck resorts are the values. You get the Disney "magic" with theming, etc, and the benefits of the free transportation; even if it is buses instead of the Monorail, remember the monorails only take you to two of the four parks.
For the price of a weeks stay at the Poly, you could stay for 30 days at a value! While we love the entire Disney experience, it's the theme parks which are the focus of our visits :drill:, so when money is critical, we always vote for having a longer stay at WDW, even if it means staying at a less expensive resort.

bkfree
02-03-2008, 04:29 PM
I agree that for just a little more money, you should at least spring for a moderate. The location, resort amenities and rooms size will be a big upgrade for just a little more in price.
But you left off our most fav resort which is Yacht Club and then Beach Club. The location of these two and all of the activities within walking distance are unbeatable.:thumbsup:

splashtest
02-05-2008, 10:37 AM
Hands down, the Poly. Georgeous grounds, awesome pool, great location, beautiful rooms, great beach with a view of MK, Lagoon resort, great restaurants....need I go on?

DrWorm2008
02-05-2008, 02:18 PM
I am a HUGE fan of the Polynesian. It was the first one I stayed at on property when I was a kid, and I have NEVER lost my love for it. :mickey:The theming, the Great Ceremonial House, the Luau, the pool, and of course, the great view of the MK fireworks and the water pageant (STILL love it!) are all so magical and relaxing. :cloud9: I don't think any resort they have built since (although the Yacht and Beach Club are close seconds) could ever match Poly's glory. :thumbsup:

Mackflava99
02-05-2008, 03:57 PM
from your choices-
Boardwalk-

1.) Proximity to Epcot, DHS(MGM) and alot of good restaurants.
2.) Cool pool with good water slide
3.) Transportation variety
4.) Can see fireworks from the balcony in most rooms.
5.) very Very good staff