PDA

View Full Version : Country Bear? & Haunted Mansion ?

KevMcNJ
01-26-2008, 11:40 AM
We just got back. My first time @ WDW since 1991. My wifes 1st visit ever. she says WDW is now part of our Jan or Feb budget every year

Cool.

Anywho.... Country Bear Jamboree is looking really really worn out. The bears looked frayed and the sound system was just awful... some of the bears were un-intelligible. speakers just were not projecting. Is this show due for a rehab? When was it last rehabbed? Just seemed like the whole thing was worn out.

About the HM.... Of course we tried to figure out how it runs and where it runs. Looks like most of the Mansion that you see is really just a facade. Our guess is most of the ride is below what you actually see from the park. Also from the River boat it looks like a warehouse sized building is directly behind the HM. Is that actually where the ride goes?

HM still rocks. Just as fun as when I rode it as a 6 year old in Nov, 1971

mickey&missy
01-26-2008, 12:45 PM
I'm glad you guys had fun! A yearly trip is great!

I completely agree with you about Country Bears. We went on it in 05 and it was that way! We didn't see it last for the very reason that we could barely understand that bears and its just generally looking a little worn. I remember really liking it a kid. Maybe they'll do something about. Just as long as it doesn't go "Under New Management" like the Tiki Room :sick:

I haven't riden HM since I was kid. It's on the top of our list for next trip. But, your probably right about most of the ride being below what you see outside. I think that part of the Keys to the Kingdom tour takes you into HM through a CM enterance, maybe you can see the backstages areas of it and tell how its set up. DH and I are going on the tour next trip, I can't wait!

Enjoy your future trips!

Darbylew
01-26-2008, 12:58 PM
I agree that the CBJ needs to be updated. We
still like it but it does need some work. As for
the HM we think it is great no matter what.
We like it better since it was updated. :thumbsup:

SBETigg
01-26-2008, 01:07 PM
HM isn't below at WDW, as far as I know. I think it's more a case of beyond, and not below. If you look at aerial shots of the park, the exterior "mansion" is attached to a warehouse-like structure that goes back behind the facade and probably houses most of the ride. That's just my guess. Officially, I don't know but I bet we'll hear from someone who does.

jclightchasr
01-26-2008, 02:51 PM
HM isn't below at WDW, as far as I know. I think it's more a case of beyond, and not below. If you look at aerial shots of the park, the exterior "mansion" is attached to a warehouse-like structure that goes back behind the facade and probably houses most of the ride. That's just my guess. Officially, I don't know but I bet we'll hear from someone who does.

Yes this if true the haunted mansions ride portion is in the warehouse structure behind it which is hidden very well because of the mansions placement on a hill. Many rides at disney are like this and all that guests see is the front of the attraction.

KevMcNJ
01-26-2008, 05:05 PM
Yes this if true the haunted mansions ride portion is in the warehouse structure behind it which is hidden very well because of the mansions placement on a hill. Many rides at disney are like this and all that guests see is the front of the attraction.

I did go on Google maps this morning and you can zoom in close enough to see the HM. You can see the warehouse type buliding butts up to the HM.

You can also see theres a paddle wheel boat parked at the pier next door

I love those satellite pics.

brewcrew26
01-27-2008, 07:27 AM
I completely agree with you about Country Bears. We went on it in 05 and it was that way! We didn't see it last for the very reason that we could barely understand that bears and its just generally looking a little worn. I remember really liking it a kid. Maybe they'll do something about. Just as long as it doesn't go "Under New Management" like the Tiki Room :sick:

It's so sad that CBJ has just been kinda let go. I love that attraction. I know it's hokey but its still nostalgic. I don't mind what they did to the Tiki Room, but I agree

...no bringing Baloo or Winnie the Pooh to add some star power to it...please!!

#1donaldfan
01-27-2008, 08:14 AM
I have to agree CBJ is truly running down, and that is a shame. It's an original, and an almost lone survivor of our childhood memories of Disney. My kids take a "nap" during the show, they don't seem to care for it much, so we may hit it every two years. I surely hate to say it, but I fear it's on it's way out........:ill:

dumbo ears
01-27-2008, 04:27 PM
ya i havent seen the country bears show but ive heard it needs to be updated. There is a warehouse building behind HM. Ive been in it and the ride does go into the warehouse i think. All I can say is after you see the backstreets of MK, the part guests dont usually see, you think of the MK as a more magical place.

DakotaDisney
01-28-2008, 01:28 PM
I saw country bears for the first time on my last trip in '07. I think it was closed on my first WDW trip in 1990.

I enjoyed it but was disappointed. As a little kid I remember having a record with a big picture of the bears. The record was of the whole show. I used to really enjoy it. When I saw the show I was suprised at how small the stage and room was. I always pictured it being a bigger space. It was a little run down to.

A little refurb. would be nice, but please don't change it or take it out. I think it is important to keep some of the original rides and shows!

LauraF
01-28-2008, 04:19 PM
Yes, the HM ride is in the "warehouse."

If you are very saavy, you'll notice the stretching room in the HM entrance is a slow-moving elevator which takes you out to the back and rest of the ride.

DakotaDisney
01-28-2008, 05:04 PM
Are you sure that the stretching room moves to the back of the ride?

I don't think it moves at all. It's just a special effect to set the scene and space crowds apart.

I could very well be wrong. If I am that is cool, becaue I have never noticed it.

Stu29573
01-28-2008, 10:38 PM
Yep, the mansion is actually in the warehouse, not the facade. Actually, the only parts that are in the facade are the entry room and the two stretching rooms. The stretching rooms don't go anywhere. The ceiling rises, but the floor stays right where it is. At Disneyland the rooms are elevators that drop you below the "berm" so you can get to the warehouse. There's no need to do that at Disney World, but the effect is still cool!

By the way, quite a bit of the ride is actually about 15 feet off of the ground. It makes sense if you think about it (you go up the stairs and back down the roof) but I had never thought much about it until someone told me...:hmghost:

Belle619
01-29-2008, 03:36 PM
I agree with the other posts about the CBJ. I saw it for the first time last year and I was sadly disappointed in how run-down it seemed. I could hardly hear the audio and we were only about half way back.

It is definitely a cute attraction and I wouldn't want to see it go, but I was surprised at how neglected it seemed to be.

Disneyatic
01-29-2008, 05:08 PM
I read about the WDW and DL Haunted Mansions on the doom buggies website and it said that in the DL version the stretching room is actually an elevator that takes you down to the ride but in the WDW version the stretching room ceiling rises but you don't move.

I wonder if you can feel yourself moving in the DL version???

suzicreates
01-29-2008, 09:07 PM
We were at CBJ and I was really sad to see the show hadn't been updated at all since I was last there in '97. The costumes need some brightening to make it loveable again. The audio is so bad that my father-in-law asked if the rest of us could hear it and when we said "no" he said "Thank God, I thought I was going deaf!" Too funny...

NJDad
02-05-2008, 09:45 PM
Watching the rundown CBJ is a little sad. I'm old enough to remember when it was one of the big attractions at the park for all ages, and you could only see it once or twice a trip because of the crowds.

You can see the HM building from the train, at least you could the last time I rode that leg of the train a few years back.

broadway_chick72
02-05-2008, 10:17 PM
How sad about CBJ. I love the show, I'm just easily amused and enjoy it all the time.

Darin M
02-05-2008, 10:40 PM
The Country Bear Jamboree needs to incorporate some 3-D a la Phil-Har-Magic.

porfer08
02-05-2008, 11:33 PM
Yes, sadly Country Bear does need a bit of updating. I still love it because it's cute but....

We couldn't here the lyrics and the whole theatre looks like it needs some rehab.

We love love love HM! I'm not sure where it goes, but I personally love the updates. :thumbsup:

Walt Lucas
02-06-2008, 08:37 AM
I don't think they've touched the country bears since the movie bombed. Very sad to see another of Walts creations go to waste :(