PDA

View Full Version : Have a little chuckle on me....although I did not chuckle at the time!!

Terra
01-26-2008, 06:52 AM
One baby, one grocery store...OH MY!!!

Just thought I'd share the excitement of my day yesterday! It wasn't too funny at the time though!

So know we are into a new thing....becoming all hands at the grocery store!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Anything David can reach, it's his!

I have to walk pretty much down the center of aisles. Otherwise I find [like I did the first time] that 20 cans of falling green beans can be attention grabbing and painful on the foot!:-o

So yesterday we are doing our weekly "big" shopping and the cart is about halfway full and then ... oh my ....meltdown time....and with David there is no small whine to forewarn me....it is quiet throughout the aisles of Walmart and then the silence is shattered by .... AAAAARRRWWWWAAHHHHHHAAAHHHHARRRRGGGHHHHHH....:-o:-o:-o
And suddenly I'm "that" mother racing to the cracker aisle ... opening a pack of Goldfish crackers and dumping some beside him in his cloth cart cover...all the while saying out loud so those around me know I'm not stealing the $1.88 pack of goldfish...."Mommy has to pay for these David!"....and then peace is restored....onto more shopping...:blush:

So now the cart is pretty much full, David can reach around and grab stuff....so I easily and gracefully keep removing his arm from the stuff while grabbing things I need....Why oh why are the 50 toys attached to his cart cover NOT enough????:secret:

The silence is again shattered and the goldfish no longer work....AAARRRGGGWWAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH ....
Okay, here David...play with this box of macroni and cheese and "shake it ...shake it..." [this is what I tell him when he finds a rattle or something he likes....so I listen to the lovely "Mac and cheese" shake it song for about 5 minutes while grabbing my remaining items....Those around me for some reason, just don't enjoy this genre of music though...gosh, uncultured people! ;) he he

Suddenly I hear a strange sound and look down to see that David has bitten a whole in the box and out pours the mac noodles!!!!! Oh boy....I grab them away and throw some more goldfish by him which are not working still! I'm getting a bit frazzled because he's already reaching back behind him into the cart pulling out bananas and and mashing up the bread....so I just hurry and put the half empty box of mac and cheese on a nearby shelf...sorry walmart!....and between the "David, please don't do that..." And .. "honestly David....you are all hands..." One lady looks over at me with a "what is going on look" ..to which I just stare back and stop dead in my tracks to shake her up...she quickly looks away and I'm off towards the check out lines....

Next thing I know...."RIIIPPPPP"....David has torn off the top of the Steak Pack that I bought and is playing with the steaks!!!!....geeezzzzzzzzzzzzz....so I grab a produce bag and wrap it up so I can still get it....
And I give him the box of zip lock bags to play with...
We start checking out and he's happy because he likes to watch me put the things up there....so he's now watching me and gnawing holes into the ziplock storage bag box...at this point, I just don't care...ehhh...a little paper never hurt anyone....roughage!!

So we check out, load the groceries and head for home....Ahhhhh....Can't wait to do this with 2 little ones!!!

jodijo
01-26-2008, 09:31 AM
Well, I guess the good news is that most parents have had moments like these. Although embarrassing at the time, they make great stories later. I have to say that I was laughing when I heard he was playing with the steaks!

Terra
01-26-2008, 09:48 AM
Well, I guess the good news is that most parents have had moments like these. Although embarrassing at the time, they make great stories later. I have to say that I was laughing when I heard he was playing with the steaks!

LOL...yeah I have to say I kind of grinned at the time too....then I had to clean his hands and wrap those steaks back up! lol

disneymom15
01-26-2008, 10:23 AM
I know how you feel. When my daughter was little (she almost 18 now) she got me so frazzled that I left half the groceries in the cart in the parking lot. My husband had to stop on his way home from work to pick up our forgotten bags.

#1donaldfan
01-26-2008, 10:38 AM
Thanks for the laugh, I needed it this AM....as for a parent of 3, 16 being the oldest.....I would love to have those days back....!!!

SBETigg
01-26-2008, 11:10 AM
Oh, I remember the days! What a trip, Terra. :)

This is why, when we had two, grocery shopping became something I did as my alone time when the husband was home with the kids, or we would give the kids to my in-laws and make it our date night. Grocery shopping date night, woo-hoo! Did we know how to have a hot time or what? ;)

Terra
01-26-2008, 11:52 AM
Oh, I remember the days! What a trip, Terra. :)

This is why, when we had two, grocery shopping became something I did as my alone time when the husband was home with the kids, or we would give the kids to my in-laws and make it our date night. Grocery shopping date night, woo-hoo! Did we know how to have a hot time or what? ;)

:haha: Oh but I hear you!!!
Knowing me...I'll take the new baby...no problem...put him in the sling like I did with David...and David can stay with daddy!! lol..

pogo
01-26-2008, 12:05 PM
This Grandpa is laughing like a fool ! :funny:

Sorry, but I can see the frustration and all I can say is.... been there, done that ! :shake:

But it is funnier when it happens to somebody else ! :D

TikiGoddess
01-26-2008, 12:16 PM
God bless you, Terra!

So good of you to be able to laugh about it just a day later. Kids sure keep life interesting!

I just got back from the grocery store -- by myself. I listened to my ipod (Disney podcast) the whole time, probably the most relaxing time this week. Daddy took the girls to music class. :D It's so funny, like SBETigg said, how that's a big deal -- going alone!

Kathy

MsMin
01-26-2008, 01:28 PM
:rotfl: I remember those days... Once I kept my brother's little ones when he was vacationing w/ his wife. I loaded 5 into the cart my three and my brother's 2 and his 7 yrs old was holding my hand as we crossed the parking lot and this elderly lady walked up and said "God Bless you honey" and walked away. :confused: I had 1- 3mos old; 1-2yr old; 1 3yr old; 2- 5yr olds and 1 7yr old. I took them to get a family portrait while I had them together but to me they didn't look like they all belonged to me. My brother had left his stretch van for me to transport them. It was an adventure but fun. My sister and I took 6 to WDW twice... it was fun.
Terra you are very creative while shopping and you'll do great with two. I remember the days of bread that had been hugged and chewed boxes. :cloud9:

kakn7294
01-26-2008, 03:03 PM
Ah, shopping with children - soooo much fun some days! Mine are 12 and 8 and I still hate to take them sometimes. Just wait Terra, it only gets better with 2! :D

BTW, a funny Walmart story of my own - when Steph was little (maybe about 2), we were calmly walking down the toy aisle when all of a sudden she threw her arms up over her head in a cringe pose and started screaming "No Mommy, don't beat me!" as loud as she could. I wanted to die! First of all, she hadn't done anything and I wasn't mad at her and second, I don't beat her! But everyone within hearing range came to stare at us - I was totally embarrassed.

Flower
01-26-2008, 04:41 PM
BTW, a funny Walmart story of my own - when Steph was little (maybe about 2), we were calmly walking down the toy aisle when all of a sudden she threw her arms up over her head in a cringe pose and started screaming "No Mommy, don't beat me!" as loud as she could. I wanted to die! First of all, she hadn't done anything and I wasn't mad at her and second, I don't beat her! But everyone within hearing range came to stare at us - I was totally embarrassed.

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:Too Funny!!!

Terra,
Just wait until #2 comes along! Things were so insane around here last summer that I utilized a local grocery delivery service - the fee was worth not having to go thru the hassle of taking the 2 boys shopping. I would have Brandon sitting up in the cart and Ben laying in the Baby carrier and then there was no room to put anything! It is a little easier now with Ben out of the cart, but I still try to sneak out by myself or go on a day when Brandon is in daycare - so much easier!

PirateLover
01-26-2008, 05:02 PM
I don't think I ever misbehaved at the grocery store (although I was definitely one of those kids who liked to put everything in the cart :secret: ) But my brother did something scary but funny once while shopping. My mom had him in a shoe store and told him to sit in a chair while she paid for everything. She goes back to get him and he's gone! She runs out into the mall frantic, gets police and everybody looking for him. They come back to the shoe store and are calling out his name. All of the sudden he pops out from under the chair, smiling like nothing was wrong! "Here I am Mommy!" She was so embarrassed. (He was 3).

tinkerbell04
01-26-2008, 06:40 PM
I have been there! At least you can laugh about it now! Thanks for the smile:mickey:

Jimenyfan
01-26-2008, 07:06 PM
I have felt your pain, my boys are now 15 & 10 so those days are over for me. One time when my oldest was about 2 he had done fine all through the store and when we went to check out he wanted candy and I told him "no", well as we leave the store and get to the parking lot he starts screaming"HELP ME" you should have seen the stares I got. I quietly leaned down and told him if he didn't stop screaming he was going to need help in the car. He stopped screaming and now it gives us a good chuckle.

Terra
01-27-2008, 06:30 AM
Oh my gosh, these other stories are making me laugh! :haha:

Ahhhh.....the things our kiddos do!!

And I agree...this time in their lives really is so short...so even though I get frazzled I always tell myself to enjoy it too because one day he'll not even want to hang out with mom....sniff sniff....

hoop de do
01-27-2008, 11:30 AM
"Makin Memories" - " Makin Memories"

Thanks for sharing. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

princessjojo
01-27-2008, 11:57 AM
:haha::funny::rotfl: That is too funny!! And I thank you for sharing that. While reading, I could just envision you there in the store, in a panic. You can always look at having 2 as entertainment for each other.

Though it wasn't in a store, I remember when my sister & I were little, we were playing hide & seek, her turn to hide. This was our parent's pre-divorce time so they were in the bathroom in a heated discussion, so we were making the best of our time. I was on the steps counting (like the good kid) & she decided to hide in the hall closet. I looked and looked for about 15 minutes. She had hid really well this time and I looked there, too. I finally got mom & dad's attention and told them I couldn't find her. We looked outside, at the neighbors, all over the house, and up and down the street. Finally after about an hour or more looking, we looked again in the closet. She had climbed on top of an old round canister vaccuum and some extra blankets we had in there, and covered up with another blanket, got comfortable and taken a nap. She never knew we were looking for her. None the less, we weren't allowed to play hide & seek again, like that anyway...:hide:

Marilyn Michetti
01-27-2008, 02:01 PM
I'm soooooooo glad those days are over. Now, it's just DH and I. He goes to the garden section, and I call him on the cell when it's time to check out.:)

He has fun, and I have someone to load the groceries.

Melanie
01-27-2008, 04:51 PM
Oh, I remember the days well. And yes, having two just doubles the fun. I was lucky, as goldfish and Ring Pops usually did the trick for me. :)

jillluvsdisney
01-27-2008, 06:56 PM
I'm told that when I was about two years old, I plucked a flower off a woman's hat while at the grocery store.

I don't have children. That was the scariest story I have ever read in my life.:mickey:

Thanks for sharing and good luck!!

Dakota Rose
01-27-2008, 08:23 PM
You could have just described my life a few years ago! Thank God now Adam is in preschool 4 hours each morning so I can shop in peace. But there is always at least one mom in WalMart struggling with her tikes. As one of the moms in our MOPS group always says, "this too shall pass." :blush:

Did anyone ever see that ebay listing for the dozens of pokemon cards a mom bought because her two young children put them in the cart without her knowing? It was hilarious.:D

BrerGnat
01-28-2008, 11:56 AM
Add me to the "thank goodness for preschool" crowd. My oldest is in preschool 3 days/week and it is HEAVEN to just have the ONE monster (the 22mo old) to do the grocery shopping with. ;)

Only a year more and they will BOTH be in preschool. I can't wait. I love them to death, but trying to shop ANYWHERE (except Costco, which they both seem to love) with the two of them is my idea of hell...

Tinkerfreak
01-29-2008, 02:23 PM
DH and I did all of the things you have all mentioned. The tag team shopping (he stays with them while I go get groceries and I stay with them while he goes to Home Depot). We also did the grocery shopping date night thing. My mom would watch them while DH and I would go to dinner and then grab groceries after.
Now they are 10 and 13 and although they still hate to grocery shop I have to drag them out of a shopping mall:D

DisneyDog
01-31-2008, 02:20 PM
My DS is now 5. I used to do the "shake" thing with the macaroni and anything else that made noise. He was usually pretty good when he was in the cart. However, there was a period of time when he kept throwing off his shoes. He would kick one off, I would bend down to pick it up, and he would immediately kick it off again. This would go on for a little while until I finally got tired of it. So, I took off both of his shoes and put them in the cart. Well, that was just too much for him and he started to wail! I put them back on and he was fine after that, thank goodness!

Now he's way too big to ride in the cart (45 inches tall and 50 pounds!) and he insists on helping to push the cart. He gets very upset when I don't let him push by himself, but I don't want him running people over. (They tend not to like that!)

AbeeNormal
02-03-2008, 04:02 PM
Terra as unbelievable as it sounds they do occupy each other. I'm very lucky that my Dh and I always shop together and now that the boys are in school we usually go then. I sure feel your pain though, when my boys were smaller they loved the let's run in different directions and watch mom freak out, always when my DH was no where to be found.

They are a lot of fun though - wouldn't change it for anything in the world. :mickey3::mickey3:

kakn7294
02-04-2008, 06:11 AM
Terra as unbelievable as it sounds they do occupy each other. I'm very lucky that my Dh and I always shop together and now that the boys are in school we usually go then.That's kinda funny - I consider myself lucky to shop WITHOUT DH and the kids. My girls do occupy each other but usually it's by pulling and poking at one another until I can't stand them anymore and have a meltdown - this cycle is usually repeated several times in any given shopping trip in which they accompany me.

Terra
02-04-2008, 06:30 AM
That's kinda funny - I consider myself lucky to shop WITHOUT DH and the kids. My girls do occupy each other but usually it's by pulling and poking at one another until I can't stand them anymore and have a meltdown - this cycle is usually repeated several times in any given shopping trip in which they accompany me.

OH boy what I have to look forward too....
Well this is even crazy...even though David can be all hands...I seriously LOVE taking him with me about everywhere I go!!
And I like leaving DH at home while shopping too!!! He rushes me too much because he hates to do any shopping....lol...

But once the poking and picking starts with the 2 boys, I know I'll think differently! lol