PDA

View Full Version : Little pet peeve about the buses!

linedropper
01-25-2008, 09:08 PM
Been staying here at Pop Century since last friday! I know handicap people deserve special service on the buses. But today we had been waiting 30 minutes and a family walked up with one person with a wheel chair. And heres the kicker. He was pushing his own wheelchair right up until they got next to us and I heard him say to a family member, I should sit down now so it doesn't look bad! He clearly did not need the special service, but it gets better! we counted 14 people get on the bus and fill the back up to go with the one guy who walked up and got in the chair just when he got to the bus! There should be some rule, Like 2 people may go with a wheelchair. There is always someone who bends the rules, the family was even snickering as they boarded the bus! Live from Pop:mickey:

CaptainJessicaSparrow
01-25-2008, 09:24 PM
Well, it's possible he could just need the chair more for long distances and lots of walking as opposed to the short one from the lobby to the bus (he could have just finished eating breakfast).

Also, what if it was a family reunion or a magical gathering or a school sponsored event? Would you want to be seperated for your family while they went ahead to the park and you have to wait for the next bus (20-30 minutes later plus the bus ride over). Or if he was the sponsor of underage, loud, annoying, immature cheerleaders....oops, I mean good, well behaved, sports enthuasists would you want them running around outside of the park unattended?

Also, his disability may not be a visiable one. Just because you can't see it, doesn't mean he doesn't have one. My ex had his hip replaced and they don't normally put it in a cast, so when we went to Disney in a wheelchair, we got a lot of looks because people couldn't see what was wrong.

So I'd cut them some slack.

CleveRocks
01-25-2008, 09:30 PM
I'm not arguing, just gonna try to educate a little bit.

Not everyone who needs a wheelchair is paralyzed. Not everyone who needs a wheelchair is incapable of walking.

Also keep in mind that someone might need a wheelchair at WDW but not need one too often in other aspects of life. For instance, let's say you had bad back pain or leg pain or bad knees or poor circulation or recent surgery or weakness or a heart condition or 10,000 other things. With ANY of those conditions, you might be able to walk functional distances in your every day life, which are probably very short distances. But in WDW you cover MILES every day. And even if you aren't interested in covering that ground for yourself, maybe you want to be there to see your kids or grandkids have the time of their little lives at WDW.

Think about if you were fairly new to using a wheelchair. You'd probably hate it and want to NOT use it as much as possible because it makes you feel weak and helpless and you hate it, so you use it as a walker when you can.

Also, maybe if you are new to using a chair you feel self-conscious about it and hate the idea of people, especially your own loved ones, watching you sit in your wheelchair.

Think about your knowing that many people would look VERY POORLY upon someone walking up to a bus with a wheelchair and then getting "special treatment." You'd realize people would resent you even more and think you're a fraud, so you protect yourself from those hateful and disapproving looks by getting into the chair before you get to the bus stop.

Disney Transport drivers are required to load a wheelchair or ECV (and its user) before loading other people into the bus. The chair must be secured, and the driver needs room to do this.

As to the number of people permitted to load with a wheelchair or ECV user ... yes, I could see where 14 people would be pretty aggravating. But I wouldn't want the limit to be set at 2 other people. What if you have knee surgery but keep the plans for your WDW trip so you don't devastate your 9 year old by putting off his birthday present. You keep your plans for the trip and soldier on. It's you and your spouse and your 3 kids. Or you and your spouse and your 2 kids and your brother and his wife and their 3 kids, and you're all heading somewhere else for dinner together. How would you feel that you must split up? Or what about if your own nuclear family was 6 people -- would you want to be told that you can ride with your spouse and only 1 kid and the other 3 have to go separately?

I understand your frustration ... I've lived through it at WDW, too. But if you can open your mind to look at the bigger picture and some of the possible details, I hope you can see that it's not fraudulent and selfish like you think it is.

linedropper
01-25-2008, 09:52 PM
I agree with all you guys say to a point, I can see your angle! But these people knew the were pushing the limits and knew the were pulling a fast one. And as for me if I was in a wheelchair and didnt feel comfortable because it was a new thing! I would not draw attention to myself by bringing 14 people with me on a bus! I would say look lets just wait like everyone else and load the chair on like a stroller and call it a day! Maybe get a little more respect, Or hey, Meet me at the entrance when you guys get here! Cant always rush to be sympathetic because you know someone with a handicap. I have a father in law who had to learn to walk again, The heck if I brought him to disney we wouldd use his injury to load 14 healthy people on a bus! We got to have some rules.:mickey:

šošalyssaluvsmickeyšoš
01-25-2008, 10:04 PM
:DWell we will be there feb 1st to the 10th maybe my knee will start hurting and I'll need a wheel chair.Is this like an automatic fass pass for the rides as well as the buses.:D"Lutenit Dan you have magic legs"Forest Guuuuuump

CleveRocks
01-25-2008, 10:07 PM
and load the chair on like a stroller and call it a day! Disney Transport drivers are specifically NOT permitted to do that, even if the wheelchair user requests it. It has to be unfolded and tied down in the specified place on the bus. I know this from reading the posts, over the years, of several Disney Transport drivers on another board. There are very specific rules they must follow, and they don't want to lose their jobs.

So if you walked or rode your chair through the normal line and waited until it was your turn, you'd need to wait for the next bus because the driver isn't permitted to load and tie down a chair or ECV while there are ANY other passengers on the bus. So not only does the person have to deal with a physical disability, they'd ALSO have to deal with waiting even longer for a bus than you or I would.

So when faced with the decision, what would you decide ... let a person with a disability go first, or make them go last???

CleveRocks
01-25-2008, 10:16 PM
Is this like an automatic fass pass for the rides as well as the buses.:D

No, it's not.

Someone using a wheelchair or ECV is only given different treatment when the physical layout of the queue and/or entrance necessitate it. I can't think of any specific examples because I've not traveled with someone using one of those things.

Look, if the line and the entrance are wheelchair accessible, then there's NO WAY someone in a wheelchair should get to skip the line just because they use a wheelchair. But if the queue has steps in it, or the regular entrance has a step or two, or there's some other reason you couldn't wheel a wheelchair through there, then by all means of course they should be allowed to use an alternate entrance that they can actually navigate!

berri_boo
01-25-2008, 10:22 PM
I've tossed around the idea of using a w/c on our next trip. My problem is that I have bad knees and after walking around for awhile in the parks they start to hurt and then by the time we leave the parks and get on a bus we usually don't have a seat (we stayed at POP this past time and rarely if ever had a seat on a night bus). Now after walking all day and having to stand on a moving bus with all the stops and jerks it could damage an individuals ability to walk.

I wanted to get a w/c this past trip but I don't want to be stared at every time I'm sitting in one. I know how people get get when seeing someone who doesn't "seem like they need a w/c" & I don't want to be on the receiving end of that because it can really make someone feel like doo-doo. My injury is internal so to the naked eye I look fine but literally walk a mile in my shoes & feel my pain!

I on the other hand do not agree with having 14 people tag along with the one individual & that is should be capped...maybe not at 2 others...maybe 5 or something like that because it is not fair to everyone else who has been standing in those awful lines at POP to wait another 10-20 mins after they were probably already waiting for 40. If they don't want to cap the number then they need to up the buses to POP!!!!

FYI: If we were going to either MK or EPCOT....we at times found it faster to go to monorail & either take the monorail or ferry to MK & take the monorail to EPCOT...it seemed faster and we were there during a "slow time"!!!

linedropper
01-25-2008, 10:31 PM
I dont want to seem anti handicapped people in wheelchairs. I feel I can read people pretty good! I have no problem and do not look at people and stare who come right up to a bus in a wheelchair and board it. I just dont like the people who say hey, I might want to get in this chair before we get on, then watch 14 smart but faces snicker as they walk by 150 people. Real hard to keep the Disneyworld Spirit at times like that! Moderator Close this subject , sorry I mentioned it, Should have just tucked it away, although I know what I saw today was shennanigans.

And as for wheelchairs having to be secured, I have sen on I know at least 3 occasions this week where someone in a wheelchair went up to bus, Got out and walked in and someone brought their chair in and held on to it. Thats why I say bring it on like a stroller, From experience, Not a handbook!

iluvdizney2
01-25-2008, 10:32 PM
As a person who uses a chair myself because of an unseen disability, but be sure that I do in fact have a neuromuscular disease that has caused me to have mulitple strokes. You cannot see that I have had strokes, and I can walk. I use a chair. I am sure when people see me in an electric wheelchair with tilt in space, then see me standing in a pool or walking to and from a table with food, they get very confused or angry...but I do 200 feet and I am done!... When I have gone to Disney it has been with 5 kids, a husband, nurse and myself. We have 2 wheelchairs, 1 scooter and stroller. we look like a special ed school. 5 of my kids all qualified for a make a wish trip ( count them 4 already to DISNEY). I say this because only one kid LOOKS disabled. One is autistic and needs it as well but looks toally normal. My daughter runs around and splashes in a pool but suffers from twisting muscles if walking too far or stands too long.
We used buses....we did look at the lines when we got in line. We always would wait for the next bus if we entered a line that was more than half full. We were curteous. There are two seperate issues at hand. being considerate about others wait times...and not passing jugement on another persons disability seen or unseen. The last trip we used our own vehicle and a rental to transport ourselves because we had one very angry encounter about "decide if you are disabled or not, and stop using the system!"....I would rather choose to not be disabled. I would rather choose for my kids to run and not ever hurt. But reality is we pay the same price as the rest of the people there and we should enjoy it equally, with or without wheels. AND we should respect each other by being curteous. People with chairs are not superior, and some expect they should be. It is an extension of who they are...wheels are legs for some of us, not an easy ride.
ok, off my soapbox now!

šošalyssaluvsmickeyšoš
01-26-2008, 07:45 AM
The bottom line is line dropper is right.If you have a handicap you shouldn't take advantage of it by loading 14 of your friends and family on the bus.THEY ARE ALL NOT DISABLE ,But dropper this is America and people are rude so we are all gonna just have to live with ignorant people.

mrsgaribaldi
01-26-2008, 08:18 AM
I think that linedropper is just voicing his/her frustration at the situation. I don't think a limit on the people that go with the w/c is right either. Like someone else said, there are large familys, grand gathering etc. We always get a seat since we take a rental car;)

But dropper this is America and people are rude so we are all gonna just have to live with ignorant people.

I feel just the oposite as you. This is America and people are very caring. For every rude person there is a polite person, giving up their seat on a bus, a monorail, helping someone who fell, who's sick etc. So sorry that you feel this way.

#1donaldfan
01-26-2008, 09:29 AM
I'm not responding to pass judgement....I just wanted to say that I'm sure there are some that take advantage of certain situations. Maybe this one was a ruse to get over on everyone, but we don't really know for sure. It's very probable they were getting over with the facts at hand, but it's hard to tell for certain. I sure hope this doesn't ruin your trip. Try to let this one go and have a great trip, wish I was there.....:thumbsup:

Jenemmy
01-26-2008, 09:32 AM
I know when I was there week before last, there were a couple of occassions where groups with one wheelchair passenger came up to the bus stop while there was a lengthy line. Twice, I saw the drivers smile and say "They will get you folks on the next bus, if you just want to wait here". So, they had a little wait like everyone else and still got to go together. Seemed fair for all.

I would never dream of expecting families to split up because one of them is in a wheelchair. It just isn't right. People who truly need that assistance lead a far more inconvenienced life than I, and it just won't hurt me to wait 10 minutes for the next bus.

Now this just may be my personality, but if someone is truly trying to pull a fast one and load all the cousins on the bus early...well, whatever! If it is that dang important to them, so be it. Ultimately, they have to live with the kind of people they are and it will probably eventually bite them in the tush. It ain't worth me stressing out at WDW.

I have to say though, that I surely agree with CleveRocks, though. You just can't sit back and assume you can assess a disability. You never know what that person has gone through or is going through. Maybe giving them your space on a bus is a little sliver of kindness that they desperately need.

Here we go again...
01-26-2008, 09:43 AM
I can see this post getting closed VERY soon.

:DWell we will be there feb 1st to the 10th maybe my knee will start hurting and I'll need a wheel chair.Is this like an automatic fass pass for the rides as well as the buses.:D"Lutenit Dan you have magic legs"Forest Guuuuuump
This is just pure ignorance. I am handicapped and would give my left knee to be able to stand in line - Oh, wait I ALREADY DID!
And, for your information, it does NOT give us fast pass through every line, only lines that were built before the ADA act was passed.

I dont want to seem anti handicapped people in wheelchairs. I feel I can read people pretty good! I have no problem and do not look at people and stare who come right up to a bus in a wheelchair and board it. I just dont like the people who say hey, I might want to get in this chair before we get on, then watch 14 smart but faces snicker as they walk by 150 people. Real hard to keep the Disneyworld Spirit at times like that! Moderator Close this subject , sorry I mentioned it, Should have just tucked it away, although I know what I saw today was shennanigans.

And as for wheelchairs having to be secured, I have sen on I know at least 3 occasions this week where someone in a wheelchair went up to bus, Got out and walked in and someone brought their chair in and held on to it. Thats why I say bring it on like a stroller, From experience, Not a handbook!
I hate to tell you, but you could never read me. I am one of those people that have a positive outlook on life no matter how bad it is. So you will find me laughing in Disney no matter how much pain I am in. But go ahead and judge me anyway.

The bottom line is line dropper is right.If you have a handicap you shouldn't take advantage of it by loading 14 of your friends and family on the bus.THEY ARE ALL NOT DISABLE ,But dropper this is America and people are rude so we are all gonna just have to live with ignorant people.

As Jessica said, maybe it was a Magical Gathering and the person only needed the wheelchair in the parks. But thank you for calling us ignorant... we appreciate it.

BMan62
01-26-2008, 10:42 AM
Simply put...If you have that much of a problem with handicapped people and are in that much of a hurry to get somewhere, then rent a car.

I have happily waited while two ECVs and their associated entourage were loaded on one bus, the rest of the bus filled and by the time a second bus came, had to wait for two more ECVs with THEIR entourages before being able to load DW and myself.

It actually makes the magic shine even brighter knowing that everybody can have a chance to share this wonderful place.

linedropper - I certainly hope you didn't make a video for the CMO contest!!! :(

garymacd
01-26-2008, 11:05 AM
I have to wade in on this one. Granted, there are people who may take advantage of wheelchairs and ECV's to try and make their waits shorter. Doesn't always work.

A few years ago, my beloved wife was diagnosed with CFS/FME (aka Chronic Fatigue). She always wanted to make life normal for our girls and me by continuing to work as long as she could and going on vacation whenever possible and, while on vacation, never complaining about the fatigue and pain.

On our 1999 trip to WDW, she was forced to use a walker and a cane to get around the parks. About half-way through our trip, I knew she was at the end of her strength when she told me one morning, "I just can't do it today." She was devastated, as were our girls and me. It was bad enough that our plans for the day were possibly quashed, but to see this vibrant woman reduced to tears was very hard on all of us.

At the time, our girls were 13 and 11. We got her to the park that day and rented a wheelchair (and everyday after) and our beautiful daughters took it upon themselves to push her through the parks and give her the best, most relaxing time we could. She absolutely hated every minute she spent in that chair, but bowed to the realities of her condition. Never would anyone confined to a wheelchair wish to be in one.

At no time, did we look for, or expect, special consideration from the CM's, although some came to our aid by showing us where to enter attractions like Peter Pan.

As CleveRocks said, "Not everyone who needs a wheelchair is incapable of walking." If you watched us walking today, you would just assume we were strolling and in no hurry. Unfortunately, that is her top speed. I would be very upset if only two guests were allowed to accompany someone in a wheelchair. That would split up our little family.

I know waiting while a wheelchair or ECV is loaded can be frustrating, but relying on one can be even more aggravating. Thank whoever you consider your maker for your good health and pray that you never have to be confined to a wheelchair.

merlinmagic4
01-26-2008, 11:36 AM
You know these threads just make me sad :( When I read them I am so thankful and grateful that no one in my family needs to use a wheelchair or ECV to get around.

I don't ride the buses but the thing I remember on my trip were people on ECVs or in wheelchairs trying to get around and watching people walk right in front of them with that crossover step. It looked like it was very hard NOT to hit anyone. It must be terribly hard to get through a busy park. I watched this with strollers, too and I know that is a hot topic as well!

Yes, you will always have one or two out of a hundred who will try to abuse the system or enjoy getting the most out of the system but I DO NOT think the majority of people are like that.

You gotta look for the good..............

kakn7294
01-26-2008, 12:00 PM
Don't let this ruin your day, even if you feel that this particular person and his family are playing the system - it's not worth it. I know it's sometimes difficult to have to stand in line for the bus at the end of the day while someone in a WC or ECV who hasn't been there as long as you is assisted onto the bus and their entire family goes with them, but at the end of the day, I'm just thankful that I'm at WDW and able to stand in those lines on my own 2 feet - and I'll bet that most of the WC / ECV users would gladly love to be able to stand in line just like the rest of us and certainly are not looking for special treatment.

mjm12000
01-26-2008, 12:14 PM
I agree with you on this one, we were there for two weeks from the marathon to just after MLK weekend. We saw this happen many times as well, one person in a wheel chair or ECV and then the rest of the entire group would also get on the bus with them, a few times it was groups of twenty people. Twice when this happened it was lucky that a second bus pulled up and allowed those of us not in chairs to get on. Now call my synical but the entire time I was there I only saw a handful of chair users who would actually need to use one for actual medical conditions beyond their control. I do not consider people who eat themselves half to death and weigh hundreds of pounds to have a medical condition beyond their control. Maybe that sounds mean but after two weeks of having to constantly move out of th eway, give up seats, and be run over in crowds my patience and understanding for many of these people has all but run out. Now before you all go jumping on me for being mean to the plus size people out there I should let you know that my own family is anything but petite but you know what we all walk. Maybe if some of these folks would walk once in a while they would not need the chairs in the first place. I am all for helping out those who need it but giving special privilidge to those who chose to live a life style that renders them unable to move on their own, is not fair to those of us who also paid good money to visit WDW and can get around.

hubbyofadisneyholic
01-26-2008, 12:18 PM
I don't think anyone would deny a little assistance to those that truly need it.
But, when you see someone jump out of their ECV and hop the chains in the queue to get to the front of the line to "save" a place for the rest of their group or hear a family discuss getting an ECV so they can take turns riding it, it does make you cast a somewhat skeptical eye at people that don't appear to need it. Is it fair? Probably not; but it is human nature.
It's just another example of how people trying to scam the system make it bad for those with a legitimate need.

As far as 14 people having to accompany the person in the wheelchair...c'mon give me a break. Do all 14 REALLY need to go with? Sorry, even if it's a family reunion I think they have to show a little consideration for others.

T_I_Double Guh_Err
01-26-2008, 12:49 PM
I do not consider people who eat themselves half to death and weigh hundreds of pounds to have a medical condition beyond their control. Maybe that sounds mean but after two weeks of having to constantly move out of th eway, give up seats, and be run over in crowds my patience and understanding for many of these people has all but run out. Now before you all go jumping on me for being mean to the plus size people out there I should let you know that my own family is anything but petite but you know what we all freaking walk. Maybe if some of these folks would walk once in a while they would not need the chairs in the first place.

Stop and think for a minute that maybe these "plus size" people are that way because they are unable to walk or exercise.
Or, maybe they have an illness that makes them obese.

Or, maybe they eat too much out of depression from the pain.... or the fact that they are dying.
You do not know what caused their problem. I hope you never have to find out the hard way.
Every one here should walk a mile in the shoes of person in a wheelchair (or try to) before being so judgemental.

crazeedizneefinatic
01-26-2008, 12:52 PM
It seems those that have a negative comment/opinion of others using a wheelchair or ECV may be looking for something to complain about, maybe its being tired, cranky from heat or walking. We all know that people try and cheat the system all the time, but don't sweat the small stuff. If your conscience is clean that is all that matters. Yes, I have been in a line before where a women was trying to back her ECV up onto the bus. Literally, took 25 minutes and she still could not get it on, the bus driver would not help, thats another issue though. Everyone knows how long those lines can get after the park closes! She could not get her ECV to steer right. People were heckling and calling her names and yelling at the bus driver! She was a large women and there were a few yelling at her because of her size. No one truly knew why this women was in a ECV. My son was with us and was trying to understand why this women was being attacked. It was very sad. She started yelling back and the bus driver had to call for someone to come and calm the crowd. IT got that bad. What has this world come to. If you are standing in line busy yourself with your family, talking, looking at your camera you took pictures on. Be a good role model. Usually once one person is heard complaining, the crowd starts.

Speedy1998
01-26-2008, 01:00 PM
Disney Transport drivers are specifically NOT permitted to do that, even if the wheelchair user requests it. It has to be unfolded and tied down in the specified place on the bus. I know this from reading the posts, over the years, of several Disney Transport drivers on another board. There are very specific rules they must follow, and they don't want to lose their jobs.

So if you walked or rode your chair through the normal line and waited until it was your turn, you'd need to wait for the next bus because the driver isn't permitted to load and tie down a chair or ECV while there are ANY other passengers on the bus. So not only does the person have to deal with a physical disability, they'd ALSO have to deal with waiting even longer for a bus than you or I would.

So when faced with the decision, what would you decide ... let a person with a disability go first, or make them go last???

That's strange DW broke her foot a couple of years back, and for most trips on the bus we folded the wheel chair we got for her and she boarded using her crutches. We did this so that we did not cut in front of people who had been waiting longer than us, and also so that more people could get on the bus, when you fold the seats you lose 3 spots.

BouncingTigger
01-26-2008, 01:22 PM
I agree that there are people with a disability that can't be seen. However, I think it is naive to believe that all people who are using wheelchairs at WDW (from which they get special treatment) are actually disabled. It just makes all w/c or ECV users look bad, which isn't fair to them.

Also, I do agree that allowing yourself to become morbidly obese is not an actual disability. And yes, there are some people who have medical conditions that cause them to become obese, but those people are very few. Most obese people have a problem of their own making concerning their choice not to eat healthily and exercise. The Mayo Clinic says it is uncommon for a medical condition to lead to obesity and it is unlikely for obesity to be caused by a low metabolic rate. I remember reading an article in a women's health magazine that said about 1% of cases of obesity are caused by factors beyond the person's control.

Sorry if I seem :mad: about this, but I am a college student with a medical condition that will not be fixed by me getting off the couch, and I struggle to find health insurance because health care costs are skyrocketing in part to the extreme costs of obesity, inactivity, and an unhealthy diet (among other things). I personally think people who choose to allow themselves to become such a strain on the healthcare system should have higher premiums (this includes people like smokers). Sorry that this is kind of off topic...off my soapbox now!

DJBear
01-26-2008, 01:31 PM
:mickey: I just wanted to thank Cleverock for the wonderful way you helped explain about the use of wheelchairs at the parks.
I am one of those people that can not walk far because of my health and if it wasn't for the use of the chair I would never be able to enjoy something as wonderful as WDW.
It's hard because when you do stand up people look at you so mean :mad: like I'm trying to just butt in front of them, I don't I just want to enjoy the same thing they are I just can stand for more than a few minutes without my legs and back giving out.
Anyway thank you for making me feel like it's ok to want to be there too.:)

Hair_Razor
01-26-2008, 02:01 PM
The point is you don't what someone ailments are unless you are in their place. If they are lying then thats on them not for us to judge. I think this post is on a dangerous path to hurting peoples feelings and it will probably be shut down soon.

Beast_fanatic
01-26-2008, 02:19 PM
Moderator Close this subject

Closing this since it has gotten out of hand, and the original poster has requested that it be closed.