PDA

View Full Version : Feeling a little blue today

Cinderelley
01-25-2008, 03:35 PM
My DS18 will be graduating in May of this year. He's decided he wants to join the Navy :flag: which I'm proud of him for, but I just realized he won't be here for our next Disney trip. :( Is this what the empty nest syndrome is like? If it is, I don't like it.

pogo
01-25-2008, 03:49 PM
Congratulations to your son ! Anyone that enlists to help this country is OK in my book.

Now for you.... look on the bright side of him not being with you on your next WDW trip. You are paying for two instead of three.... which means more money in the budget for things like, staying in a mod instead of value or staying in deluxe instead of a mod.

And in case that doesn't help, here's a :hug: for you. With time... you will love being an empty nester, I promise ! :D

disneymom15
01-25-2008, 04:37 PM
I know how you feel, my daughter will be 18 in April. She's already to the point where she would rather spend time with her boyfriend than go to Disney with me. Her and I have done mother/daughter trips for years. I really miss the time we spent together.

vicster
01-25-2008, 04:44 PM
WOW - my husband and I have been going to Disney without kids since 2001 and we love it. No one to worry about but ourselves. (finally) We actually have more fun without kids.

thrillme
01-25-2008, 05:52 PM
My DS is 12 and I cry already thinking about him graduating and leaving. I totally understand. It sounds like you raised quite an awesome young man. Young men bring young ladies...just think about those grandbabies you'll be taking to Disney one day. :hug:

Maybe he'll eventually get stationed near Disney and ya'll will have a great place to visit.

crazypoohbear
01-25-2008, 09:07 PM
What a brave son you have. Congrats!
My DS18 will be graduating this may as well. He however wants to go to disney with us! :D
However, with college costs coming up we can't afford to take him :blush:
I guess there is no happiness with them becoming "adults"
I will pray that you son stays safe.

MsMin
01-26-2008, 01:03 PM
We are all like snowflakes and everyone's family is a little different. Our history is what helps predict that and who we marry or where life brings us.
Empty nest is really more a syndrome based on the initial feelings and reactions to the children leaving home. YES, this is what it feels like. After we adjust many do develop better relationships with their spouse, find new careers or hobbies. Unfortunately there are a small few who don't adjust and our job is to put them back on track by helping them develop new activities and lifestyles.
Unfortunately for some their relationships with their spouse were only glued together with the activities of their children and occasionally the marriage dissolves.
Don't think of this as missing the opportunity to go to Disney together-- you have not-- you have gained the opportunity to have great reunion "remember the good old times" type trips. Kids go through the "parents are not cool" then return to remember the great times when they mature. As mentioned, it could be when your son comes home on leave or w/ grandkids but Disney is a place to bring families together.
Yes, it's a time of change and with that comes that uneasy feeling of change and unknowing but now is the time to pull out the old glass and check to see if it's half empty or full. :pixie: for your new adventures and Congrats to your son :flag: Sounds like you raised a wonderful young man.

Cinderelley
01-26-2008, 04:13 PM
Thanks for all the advice and well wishes everyone. We won't officially be empty-nesters until the others move out. The youngest is 13. I guess it really hit me that he'll be gone when I realized that he won't be there for our Disney trip. I just didn't like the idea that I would feel this way every time one of them left.

Even though I love getting away with DH for some alone time, DH doesn't like Disney like the kids and I do. The kids will skip down Main Street with me :D.

But y'all are right. Some time in the future, I'll have the privilege of taking my grandkids and seeing the wonder of Disney through little eyes again. In the meantime, DH will have 5 years to learn how to skip. :laughing: