PDA

View Full Version : Using a debit card?

simpleyred
01-24-2008, 01:12 PM
Anybody use a debit card for paying while at WDW? Have problems? Any places you can't use at? My DD want's to use hers instead of carrying cash on our upcoming trip. Thanks for any info you can give me :mickey:

Next trip: Jan.30-Feb.6, 2008 - POFQ

DisneyDog
01-24-2008, 01:29 PM
If the card has a visa or mastercard logo on it then it will just be run like a credit card. Shouldn't be a problem. I use mine everywhere.

LarryBoy
01-24-2008, 01:33 PM
We used ours all over the "world" with no problems. In fact they take cards almost everywhere at WDW now. Even at most of the snack carts, which used to be cash only.

dlpmikki
01-24-2008, 01:48 PM
I used my debit card all over WDW and it was fine except for one type of place that just wouldn't authorise it for any amount - and that was paying off our room charges at the hotel. Happened twice on one trip - first time we were more than a bit put out because the bank assured us there was no problem but it just wouldn't get authorised. The second time we had used the card everywhere else so there was only about $20 internet charge and it still wouln't go through. I have used it in the past without problems in hotels and I have since used to buy my renewals for APs and to pay the annual DVC dues online all without a hitch. It may be that the hotels and / or visa have changed how they do their authorisations but it is more than a bit of a nuisance.

Strmchsr
01-24-2008, 01:55 PM
If you're staying on property I would strongly suggest using your room key for all charges instead of a debit card. As the others have stated, you can use your debit card most anywhere, but for security reasons, the room charging is much better. I never took any of my credit/debit cards to the parks and usually only $10 or so in cash, if any.

sassafras
01-24-2008, 01:58 PM
I've used my debit card to pay for my dining plan when I was at DW. Never had a problem, but then I issue the darn things! Just make sure you know what your daily limit for cash is and what the limit for purchases is. Usually there is a set amount you can do in a twenty-four hour period. It also helps if your financial institution is set up for real time, not batch time where it only updates twice a day. Check with your bank (or credit union), and see if they can raise the limit for purchases on your card while you're on vacation. I do this on a regular basis for our c.u. members, raise it from 1500/day to 2500. That may seem high, but you have to realize certain places (like hotels, gas stations, rental car firms, and some stores) have floor limits and can put a 72 hour hold on a certain amount of your funds until they make sure they get their money. Better to have it raised, than get stuck without purchase power! Otherwise, you should not have any problems! Have fun!!!

MississippiDisneyFreak
01-24-2008, 02:48 PM
I used mine at WDW in 2005 without any problems...like one person said they ran it like a credit card instead of having to punch in a PIN.

kakn7294
01-24-2008, 03:22 PM
We always use ours too. Never had a problem with it. Ours has a Visa logo and can be used like a credit card.

thrillme
01-24-2008, 03:26 PM
My debit card has a mastercard logo. I use it EVERYWHERE. I take a little cash for the lemonade stands and "maybe tips" but other than that I use debit or credit card. If you REALLY want to play it safe lock up your credit/debit card up in a safe and charge everything to your room key. If you lose it they can cancel it quickly and replace it on the spot.

simpleyred
01-24-2008, 10:25 PM
Thanks again for your replies and tips. Everyone here is always so kind.

adoptionislove
01-24-2008, 10:59 PM
We use our debit card EVERYWHERE!!!

I dont think I have written a check in YEARS!!!!!!!!!!!

That is good advice about locking up the dc and just charging it to the room!!!!

crazeedizneefinatic
01-24-2008, 11:30 PM
You don't say how old your daughter is but a great way to control spending and keep everything safe is a prepaid mastercard/visa. You can load any amount on it and really keep track of your budget. Charging privledges on the room key is just to easy to overspend. At least for me and especially at Disney! If she is younger is also teaches a great way to control budget. I use my debit card alot and have never had a problem but the prepaid card is also another alternative.

dolphinmickey9170
01-28-2008, 11:32 AM
We used ours everwhere from check-in, to shopping, to restaurants. It works great. As long as you have a visa/mc logo, you shouldn't have a problem. Be sure, however, that with your bank it doesn't have a limit as to how many transactions you may use in a months time. I have a savings account debit card that has a 3 per month use limit as a debit/credit card, but unlimited use as an ATM card.

We also used our Key to the World card and just charged to our room and didn't carry any cash at all. We plan to do this for this next trip too. Even with the DDP not including the tip, we will charge the tip plus any other non dp covered items. We will, however, carry a little cash with us as we all know that the rrom keys and computer systems can go ape and not work properly.

pixiesmimi
01-31-2008, 06:17 PM
We have used ours in all the parks with no problem. I usually use my room key and just pay the hotel with the debit card on check out but do take it with me to the parks just in case I want to purchase something that I don't want to put on the room key or came to a place that wouldn't take the room key. (Yes, we have actually come across a couple of places that acted like they didn't know what the room key was (market in Morroco) and wouldn't take them but would take the debit card.) I made sure that I kept up with each day's charges though to make sure that I didn't go over my limit. It can be very easy to do this when using the room key and not thinking about your balance.