PDA

View Full Version : Disney internships

dolewhiplovers
01-23-2008, 07:15 PM
Has anyone out there ever participated in the internship program that Disney offers to college students? My 20 y/o dd is a student @ Western MIchigan University working towards her degree in dance. She would like to work at Disney in the summer. She would love to do the 6 mo internship but because of her performance schedule, she is finding it impossible to take 6 mo off of classes to participate. She has been told that the internship is a great experience. She is wondering if she could work just during the summer. Her summer would run April 25ish to August 15ish. Does anyone know if they hire students just for the summer? Would they provide room and board like they do for the internship program? Do they hire dancers for the parades or are these all union employees? Should she call the casting department to inquire or is there someone else she should get in touch with? She has tried getting the information off the web-site but is having no luck. Thanks!

MartyS
01-23-2008, 10:14 PM
i actually just recently finished my first college program and mine was aug 13th-jan 4th. im almost positive that they do summer programs that last just a couple months but i dont know all the details on it. if your daughter is a dance major tho she could audition for entertainment and could be a character performer or dancer in one of the shows. im not sure which website you were looking at but the one i went to was www.wdwcollegeprogram.com (http://www.wdwcollegeprogram.com) if that helps any, and there should be an email address she could contact for any questions. if not then i would definatly call casting b/c they could at least point you in the right direction if anything. just let her know that its becoming very competitive and if she wants to do it then the earlier she applys the better! i hope some of this helps you and good luck trying to get into the program! i had an absolute blast with mine!
(this was written by my daughter btw)

dmosher
01-24-2008, 02:18 AM
She should definitely call them. I started my internship years ago over a summer and it led into a long run for over a year. It was sooo worth it, plus in the end I became a Cast Member.. how cool is that!! To date, still the best job I ever had!
:pipes:
D

DisneyTeen
01-24-2008, 10:13 AM
I was part of the college program. It was a great experense. I didn't know anyone else down there, and met a ton of people. you make little money, work long hours, but its really a good time. You make of it what you will. You can work and go out and go to the parks every night and take advantage of everything that they offer you on Cruises and dinner and stuff. Or you can party the whole time and make it college without the classes. If you can find a good balance between Disney Fun, Disney Work and everything else, its a ton of fun....and looks great on a resume.

Last time I heard the summer only program was for returning CP'ers or professional interns.
PM me if you have any other questions.

May524
01-24-2008, 11:11 AM
I did the program in Spring of 05 and it was amazing. From my understand they offer a summer only program, on a year to year basis only in certain roles (mostly quick service food and beverage, custodial, etc.). So I'm unsure as far as dancers. She should check out the college program website, or contact the recruiter from her school for it, and she can give her a lot of information. Best of luck! :)

CaptainJessicaSparrow
01-24-2008, 03:03 PM
MOST dance positions are given out as equity positions but not all. The stage shows are typically equity. For the parades, she would also have to be a part of Entertainment as a character and even then there is no guarantee she will actually be trained in those positions.

Sariel
01-28-2008, 05:42 PM
I am the daughter of dolewhiplovers who wants to go down to Disney this summer to dance or even be a character. When I went down they said that I could be Ariel or Belle. Which are my two favorite characters of all times!!! So hopefully I can go! Any more things you can tell me would be great in making my choice to go down.
:tink:

piratecowboy37
01-29-2008, 08:04 PM
I did the college program in summer of 05. I was signed up for the fall advantage, but left after the summer was over to go back to school. I came back because I learned that one of my scholarships would expire if I missed a semester of school. Because of this I couldn't work there for a year. But I've recently looked into doing a proffesional internship, and talked to the recruiters and they told me that it wasn't a big deal that I left, and I could still be viewed as an alumni. Though I wouldn't neccesarily advise you to do it and leave early, it doesn't harm you really and it is truly a great experience.