PDA

View Full Version : Actor Heath Ledger found dead

NotaGeek
01-22-2008, 05:14 PM
NEW YORK (CNN) -- Actor Heath Ledger is dead, the New York Police Department said Tuesday.

The Academy Award nominated actor was 27.

Ledger's housekeeper found him dead in his Manhattan apartment, New York police said.

He died at 3:26 p.m., they said.

The New York Fire Department received a call at 2:27 today responding to a "cardiac arrest call" in New York.

They found an unresponsive male dead at the scene.

bleukarma
01-22-2008, 05:21 PM
Oh this makes me so sad!!!! I really like Heath Ledger!!!! :( :(

MegaDisney
01-22-2008, 05:23 PM
R I P

It is being reported as an apparent suicide by overdose.

Disneyatic
01-22-2008, 05:24 PM
This is so terrible. His poor little girl, she is only like 2 years old :(
He was born April 1979, one month older than I am. How tragic to die so young and leave behind a little girl.
I read that they found a pill bottle next to his bed, I never heard anything about him associated to drugs. What a shame.

PrincessEmmasMommy
01-22-2008, 05:26 PM
I just heard this on the radio too. I can't believe it! He was so adorable!
How sad!
Jen:sad:

NotaGeek
01-22-2008, 05:33 PM
This is horrible and I am really stunned by this sad news. Drugs are bad kids. :shake:

Ian
01-22-2008, 05:35 PM
Tragic ... I had no particular connection with him and wasn't really a "fan" (although I did enjoy him as Gabriel Martin in The Patriot), but this is very sad nevertheless. I mean to go so young ... and with a young daughter, too.

My heart goes out to her ... I can't imagine how hard it is to lose a father so young ...

MinnieMommie
01-22-2008, 05:36 PM
This is so sad! I love Heath Ledger. He was an incredibly talented actor. I will keep him in my prayers and offer his family and loved ones my deepest sympathy.

Disney-lovin' Dutchman
01-22-2008, 05:38 PM
Wow!! This is totally shocking and unexpected news! :(..I am actually stunned! He was a great artist, may he rest in peace

Having just seen him in the trailer for The Dark Knight, it is much more shocking...this will make seeing this movie this year very eerie..

PirateLover
01-22-2008, 05:46 PM
Very shocking, although I must say he's been looking terrible at recent red carpet appearances. He looks like he's going to be soooo good as the Joker. What ashame he didn't live to see that success. And my heart also goes out to his daughter. There is some new info as well:

Actor Heath Ledger Dead At 28
Sources: Death May Be Drug-Related; Pills Found Scattered In NYC Residence Possibly Belonging To Mary-Kate Olsen

NEW YORK (CBS) ― Heath Ledger, who was nominated for an Oscar for his performance in the critically-acclaimed movie Brokeback Mountain, was found dead in a New York City apartment this afternoon owned by actress Mary-Kate Olsen, sources tell CBS 2.

The Australian-born actor was just 28.

He was pronounced dead at 3:26 p.m. in an apartment on 421 Broome Street in SoHo by a housekeeper, who discovered him in cardiac arrest and called 911, an NYPD spokesperson says. He was apparently scheduled to have a massage in his apartment this afternoon.

Sources tell CBS 2's Scott Weinberger the death may be drug-related and that there were pills, possibly a very strong over-the-counter medication, scattered around the room.

Ledger had recently separated from actress Michelle Williams, who he became engaged to last year. The couple had one daughter, Matilda, who was born in 2005.

Before marrying Williams, Ledger had also dated actress Naomi Watts and Heather Graham.

Most currently, Ledger was featured in the Bob Dylan biography film "I'm Not There."

He is also appearing in the next installment of the "Batman" movie opposite Christian Bale as the infamous "Joker" and was in the midst of filming "The Imaginarium Of Dr. Parnassus."

Of the most well-known 15 films Ledger appeared in: "The Patriot," "A Knight's Tale," and "Monster's Ball." He was also nominated for a Golden Globe for his role in "Brokeback Mountain."

Ledger grew up in Perth, and began doing amateur theater at age 10. At 16, he moved to Sydney to pursue an acting career, quickly landing TV movie roles and guest spots on Australian television.

After several independent films and a starring role in the short-lived Fox TV series "Roar," Ledger moved to Los Angeles and costarred in "10 Things I Hate About You," a teen comedy reworking of "The Taming of the Shrew."

Offers for other teen flicks came his way, but Ledger turned them down, preferring to remain idle than sign on for projects he didn't like.

"It wasn't a hard decision for me," Ledger told the Associated Press in 2001. "It was hard for everyone else around me to understand. Agents were like, `You're crazy,' my parents were like, `Come on, you have to eat."'

He would have turned 29 on April 4.

SBETigg
01-22-2008, 05:59 PM
Drugs, perhaps, but it sounds more accidental than deliberate. So sad. He was so talented, young, and a father. I feel for his family and close friends. It must be such a shock.

Bethis26fan
01-22-2008, 06:05 PM
This is so sad. I really liked him especially ten things I hate about you. These hollywood actors have to get out of this drug/partying life style. What a waste of his life he never really got to live his life. His poor daughter. So sad.

Melanie
01-22-2008, 06:18 PM
WOW!!! Oh my goodness, what a shock!

A particular favorite of mine and my husbands is 'A Knight's Tale', and we just watched 'The Patriot' again the other day. And he's just adorable in '10 Things I Hate About You'.

I can't believe this. His poor daughter.

And the Mary-Kate Olsen thing - weird.

ibrowse17
01-22-2008, 06:18 PM
How sad that these young, bright stars burn out so quickly. I have been, and still are, very much looking forward to his work in the new Batman.

DizneyFreak2002
01-22-2008, 06:21 PM
This is sad.... Another young actor dead... Sad, very sad... Guess fame and fortune isn't what it is cracked up to be huh???

WinnipegDisneyFanatic
01-22-2008, 06:29 PM
So sad. Such a waste. Such a shame.

I'm still looking forward to Dark Knight though...I wonder if the film will be dedicated to him.

RIP, Mr. Ledger.

Chris :hatter:

MNNHFLTX
01-22-2008, 06:34 PM
This is totally shocking to me. I have been on the go all day and so this is the first I'd heard about it. :(

How sad and tragic for his little daughter and the rest of his family.

And the article throwing that Mary-Katy Olsen reference in there and not explaining it is very, very weird.:confused:

Scar
01-22-2008, 06:38 PM
These hollywood actors have to get out of this drug/partying life style.Actually, that’s pretty good advice for anyone in any occupation.

It’s not just actors that do it. :(

PirateLover
01-22-2008, 06:41 PM
And the article throwing that Mary-Katy Olsen reference in there and not explaining it is very, very weird.:confused:
I read some more info and apparently the origninal rumor is that he was sub-letting it and she is currently in CA and really has no relationship to him otherwise. But now it's coming out that it was never substantiated that it was her apartment.
What I find most shocking is that the exact street address was announced before the body was even moved. Tons of people were gathered around.
Apparently his friends are saying that he battled drugs off and on but he had supposedly been sober for a year. He was found face down on the ground with pills strewn on the floor. Autopsy will be performed tomorrow...

Mousefever
01-22-2008, 06:48 PM
Heath Ledger's death makes me remember how I felt when River Phoenix died. What a waste! At least River didn't leave a child without a daddy though. I'm so sad.

Amy

pogo
01-22-2008, 06:57 PM
:shake: RIP :(

PirateLover
01-22-2008, 07:06 PM
NYPD is saying the apartment is NOT MK Olsen's... what a weird rumor to start. Anyway, they've ID'd the pills as over the counter sleep aids. Still unclear as to whether is was suicide or overdose.

Warner Bros, the studio that produced Dark Knight. has issued the following statement:
"The studio is stunned and devastated by this tragic news. The entertainment community has lost an enormous talent. Heath was a brilliant actor and an exceptional person. Our hearts go out to his family and friends."

LibertyTreeGal
01-22-2008, 07:18 PM
Oh my goodness, he was 28 years old, he was just a kid. I am so shocked.

mickey&missy
01-22-2008, 07:19 PM
Just terrible. My heart goes out to his daughter and his whole family.

RedSoxFan
01-22-2008, 07:23 PM
Very tragic and sad. Thoughts and prayers are with his daughter and family.

tinkerbell04
01-22-2008, 08:12 PM
I really feel for his little daughter and the rest of his family. Such a sad situation.

Dixie Springs
01-22-2008, 08:22 PM
A shame - he seemed like a genuinely nice guy. We loved "Knight's Tale"...

J9
01-22-2008, 11:37 PM
I just read that the MK Olsen connection is blurry at best - apparantly one of the workers that found him called MK Olsen's bodyguard because the bodyguard was a friend of hers and she knew that he was a trained EMT. By the time the bodyguard got to the apartment, though, the paramedics had already arrived.

When my brother told me about this, I thought he was joking. It took about an hour of staring at CNN.com to make me fathom that it was true, but I still can't believe it. Heath Ledger was my first celebrity crush. How terribly sad, his poor poor daughter.

PirateLover
01-23-2008, 12:07 AM
When my brother told me about this, I thought he was joking. It took about an hour of staring at CNN.com to make me fathom that it was true, but I still can't believe it. Heath Ledger was my first celebrity crush. How terribly sad, his poor poor daughter.

I've had a similar reaction. I can't tear myself away from it. I had a crush on him too when I was younger. No denying he was a handsome man. It's just such a shock that it happened now. Being huge fans of Batman, myself, my fiance, and all of our friends have just been getting really hyped for the upcoming movie. We questioned his casting originally, but the brief bit of his performance that I saw from the first 7 minutes of Dark Knight that played before I Am Legend in IMAX theaters literally gave me chills. This was going to be a huge movie for him (it might be even more huge now come to think of it). I don't want to speculate too much about the mind of a man I obviously didn't know, but I can't help but wonder if this role at all aided to his problems. I mean in interviews he's admitted that he had sleeping issues and that he completely threw himself into research to become the demented psychotic killer that is the Joker. Who knows. It will definitely be a bit creepy watching his performance now, that's for sure. And on a strictly fan basis, it's ashame that he won't have the opportunity to reprise the role.

I just realized that I haven't said it yet in the thread so Rest In Peace, Heath. I truly hope it comes out that you did have pneumonia or something like that which contributed to your death, and that it wasn't just a stupid stupid overdose ... but we'll know soon enough. :(

ChipnDaleGal
01-23-2008, 05:30 AM
Part of me still thinks this is some weird dream. Hard to fathom that such a young man could be gone so suddenly. I feel most sorry for his poor little daughter. She is too young to have any real memories of her daddy and that is just sad. Heath Ledger was a talent, and all of us that love movies lost a good one yesterday. I sure hope it was some tragic accident, or better yet, some natural cause. So many celebrities are in obvious addiction battles, but I never identified him in that group before. Just hope it doesn't come down to a sadder ending involving drugs.

DizNee143
01-23-2008, 08:31 AM
i couldnt believe it when i saw it online on my homepage..im still in shock..its sooo sad! :(

IloveDisney71
01-23-2008, 08:40 AM
This is so very sad. I really liked him as an actor. I loved The Patriot, A Knight's Tale, & Cassinova (sp?). He was so young, you just don't expect something like this to happen. I feel so sad for his little girl. :(

kaylamag
01-23-2008, 08:53 AM
I'm so sad, i had such a crush on him in 10 Things I Hate About You.

poeticeclipse
01-23-2008, 09:26 AM
As someone previously stated, it feels like a weird dream.

I found out at work and my co-worker had no idea who Heath was so it was a bit hard to be able to let out my emotions about it. Thank goodness for my husband being there to console me. I grew up really really admiring Heath and his work and my husband and I are both so stoked to see Heath as Joker in The Dark Knight.

From what i've read this morning, pills were NOT strewn around the bed. There was simply a bottle of over the counter sleeping pills with the cap off. His family and friends have stated that they believe that there is no way that this could be anything but accidental.

A while back I watched an interview with Heath where he stated that because of the darkness of the character of the Joker, he's had a hard time not feeling controlled by it. Heath also said that he's needed to use sleeping pills to help him sleep at night because he often got no more than 2 hours of sleep a night. He also said that he would walk around his apartment doing the "signature Joker laugh" to try and get into the roll more deeply.

It's such a tragedy to lose someone so talented so soon.

LibertyTreeGal
01-23-2008, 10:54 AM
Well, more and more details are coming out from his friends, and I have to say that, as someone who is no stranger to acting -- you can't imagine what it is like to get so deep into a role, and sometimes people just can't find their way out. The character he was playing was so psychotic, I fear that Heath just lost his way. This never felt like a suicide or a "party" death to me, like River's was. I think he just got in too deep. I think he just took too many pills. Ambien is stronger than people think, I was on it after my stroke, and it has wierd side effects sometimes. I can easily see how someone can simply take too many of them.

Just so sad. Such a waste.

I look at Dakota Fanning, and her younger sister, and some of the dark roles they are playing at their age and I wonder about the psychological impact :(

GothMickey
01-23-2008, 11:53 AM
I look at Lindsey Lohan and Britney Spears and wonder how these two aren't dead yet, and someone with no known drug issues is. Very sad and tragic. Think this will be a wake up call to those two train wrecks? R.I.P. Heath Ledger. Even though I am not a fan, your movies were great. Especially The Patriot, one of my favorites. I am now even more excited to see Dark Knight. And I do not mean that in a demented way. I mean that with respect to the man who really was a talented actor.

thrillme
01-23-2008, 12:31 PM
poeticeclipse Yep...that's the same story I heard...Everything was fairly normal looking. He was just asleep and the pills were not all over the place.

It doesn't sound like a suicide it sounds like he just took perhaps one too many and they just surpressed his system. He had said that he was having a difficult time sleeping. He might have taken some then woke up and not realizing only a short time span had elasped took a few more. Especially if they were over-the-counter stuff. So many people fail to realize OTC medications can be VERY dangerous when overdosed. Since they're OTC a lot of people just don't view them as DANGEROUS medications and they can be.

I didn't know who he was at first till I read his credits. I really LOVED Knights Tale...it's one of my favorite movies.

offwego
01-23-2008, 02:27 PM
what a sad tale..

BouncingTigger
01-23-2008, 02:37 PM
This is so sad! I read about just before I went into class last night. I was totally shocked. I called my mom to tell her and she couldn't believe it.

I've read a couple articles that quoted some friends saying that Heath was battling depression (which some were saying was made worse by "getting into" the Joker character). I guess we will never really know if it was intentional or not. I can believe it could have been a suicide since mental illness (including depression) can strike anyone, regardless of age, fame, fortune, or whether they are a "good person" or not.

I feel so bad for his little daughter. To lose her father so young...she probably won't even remember him. :(

poeticeclipse
01-23-2008, 04:20 PM
Well, now i'm hearing about some substance abuse history. I'm not sure what exactly, though.

At first, I heard that there was an illegal substance found in Ledger's apartment. Turns out... that was false. The NYPD has dispelled all rumors of an illegal substance found on a $20 bill.

crazypoohbear
01-23-2008, 04:37 PM
I'm wondering why the "MEDIA" felt it neccessary to tell the public
1) where his body was found before it was even removed... is the picture of him in a body bag something his child needs to see?
2) Why did we need to know he was found naked?
3) That is may or may not have been one of the Olsen girls apts?
4) that he may or may not have been suffering from depression.
This is all unsubstansiated information that will forever be tied to his name. His daughter will have to see and deal with all this "truth" now her whole life.
Who among us would like to have pictures of our parent being taken out on a gurney in a body bag!????
Where is the dignity that every human should be entitled to!
Just my 2 cents..

ncscgirl2005
01-23-2008, 05:04 PM
Wow this is so sad. Ironically, I just watched Brokeback Mountain for the first time on Sunday. I am unfamiliar with his other works, but I feel in love with his acting after seeing this movie. And here I was still thinking he had a real cowboy accent. LOL! I didn't even know he was Austrailian until yesterday.

Such a sad story.

NotaGeek
01-23-2008, 05:31 PM
1) where his body was found before it was even removed... is the picture of him in a body bag something his child needs to see?
2) Why did we need to know he was found naked?
3) That is may or may not have been one of the Olsen girls apts?
4) that he may or may not have been suffering from depression.
This is all unsubstansiated information that will forever be tied to his name. His daughter will have to see and deal with all this "truth" now her whole life.
Who among us would like to have pictures of our parent being taken out on a gurney in a body bag!????
Where is the dignity that every human should be entitled to!
Just my 2 cents..

In our present technological age there is no privacy, regardless of your "star" status. I knew about this incedent within 1 hour of them finding the body ... and I live in Phoenix, and have nothing to do with Hollywood. Selling news is ALL about making assumptions and the Hollywood Spin factor!

Granted there is no dignity in this particular situation, but since Heath's daughter is 2 she will no doubt be sheltered from as much as possible by her mother ... since Heath and Michelle broke up there have been hardly ANY pictures of Matilda or Michelle on the web ...

As someone who lost my father before I was born, I would love to be able to find out some real information about his death ... or picture, even of his funeral would be welcome. Don't judge what she might want as adult, everyone is different.

Disneypixie513
01-23-2008, 09:36 PM
I was so shocked when i heard this on the radio...I was literally speechless!
I really like Heath,though i've only seen 2 movies that He's been in. Ned Kelly and The Patriot(In which He was sooo adorable!)
I really hope it wasn't suicide :(

MegaDisney
01-23-2008, 11:49 PM
I knew about this incedent within 1 hour of them finding the body ... and I live in Phoenix, and have nothing to do with Hollywood.

Because I ran across the office like a maniac to tell you! :cool:

I agree nowadays the media is outta control with the "spin" and "speculation"

PirateLover
01-24-2008, 12:06 AM
CrazyPoohBear I def agree that they should not have released the address of the apartment building before the body was removed. That was just too much info and made the area into a circus scene. As far as the rest of it, I'm guilty of wanting to know the details. We are a voyeuristic society when it comes to celebrities. Does it make it right? No. But it's nothing new. I do think it's gotten increasingly worse in the recent years due to the explosion of gossip blogs and how quickly news can be transmitted with the technology boom.

It seems as though pnemonia has been ruled out as a cause of death. TMZ reports that 5 medications were identified in his apartment, all of them either for anxiety or insomnia. They were all prescribed to him. Of course that doesn't mean anything. Autopsy was inconclusive so we'll have to wait for toxicology reports that could take a week or longer. Prayers to his family.

2Epcot
01-24-2008, 12:34 AM
I agree nowadays the media is outta control with the "spin" and "speculation"

Everybody wants to have the latest information first, so that why as soon as anything different is discoverd, all the news and qausi-news agencies run with it.

Having worked in the media for 20 years, I've seen a lot of change. The Internet has now become the main source for news in this country. Every traditional newspaper, TV station, and network have all put lots of resources into their Internet news departments. They know that is where so many people are going for their news now. There is also, of course, lots of ad revenue to be made by Internet news sites.

When people see a site keeps updating information they will continue to return to the site to get more news ... That increases the traffic on the site. Unfortunately, as with the Heath Ledger tragedy, so much stuff gets reported before it has even been confirmed ... That makes it really tough on the family and friends who may not be near the scene, but are trying to get information.

The loss is very sad. "10 Things I Hate About You" has always been a favorite film of mine. I also enjoyd Heath in "The Patriot".

DisneyDudet
01-24-2008, 04:06 AM
This is sad. Judging from what I've read on MSN, it does seem very strange. I sure hope he didn't intend on doing this to himself.

I just read on here about Brad Renfro, another young actor at 25. These boys are so close to my age of 24! It is very scary!

I have seen many of Heath's works, such as 10 Things..., A Knight's Tale, Brokeback, The Patriot etc... he was a VERY talented. I even want to name my son after his character in The Patriot, Gabriel. Just so sad that so much talent is gone.

I am someone who was directly affected by someone who intentionally took too much medication. It is a very scary and unnerving thing, to think that someone would use medication to do harm to themselves, thinking they had no way out. Like I said, I sure hope this was an accident. The pain of it being purposeful is extremely hard, and takes so much to get past that.

I pray for his family, especially for his daughter, who will grow up with no daddy.

ncscgirl2005
01-24-2008, 11:31 AM
From what I keep hearing, the media is trying to make it seem like a suicide and blah blah blah....

Some expert on one of the morning shows told the interviewer to be fair to his family and stop trying to push the suicide issue (not exact words but thats the point he was trying to make).

J9
01-24-2008, 09:25 PM
I also think that the media should not have released the name and location of the funeral home where the viewing will be held. Granted, they refused to comment on the date and time, but with Fred Phelps saying he's going to protest the funeral, that location information really should have been kept under wraps. The last thing that grieving family needs is for Heath's viewing and funeral to turn into a media, religious, and political circus.

crazypoohbear
01-25-2008, 08:10 AM
In our present technological age there is no privacy, regardless of your "star" status. I knew about this incedent within 1 hour of them finding the body ... and I live in Phoenix, and have nothing to do with Hollywood. Selling news is ALL about making assumptions and the Hollywood Spin factor!

Granted there is no dignity in this particular situation, but since Heath's daughter is 2 she will no doubt be sheltered from as much as possible by her mother ... since Heath and Michelle broke up there have been hardly ANY pictures of Matilda or Michelle on the web ...

As someone who lost my father before I was born, I would love to be able to find out some real information about his death ... or picture, even of his funeral would be welcome. Don't judge what she might want as adult, everyone is different.

I am sorry for the loss of your father and I can understand you wanting pictures and information on him.
But for his daughter there is a ton of pictures, and interviews of him that she would have access to. I just find it in really poor taste for the media to be there filming him in a body bag ( where is the dignity in death)
We as a culture are under the misguided assumption that we are entitled to Know everything! We are not.

I was talking with my son's about this and said that there is so much speculation and innuendo that imagine if...
I just dropped dead, the media come into the house what would they find. I know that my medicine cabinet has lots of prescription pills in it. painkillers, sleep aid (tylenol PM) antibiotics, Ritalin etc. What conclusion would be made????? My bed is not made, I have dirty dishes in the sink,etc.... look around your home, and imagine that you are under the microscope what is there that "people" would find and put out there as gospel truth. It's sad and uncalled for.
As for publishing the funeral home location. I would have published a number of different funeral homes and h ad the media running all over the city.
Every year the media drags out the pictures of Princess Diana and President Kennedy on the day of their death, pictures and all. I don't want to see it and I'm sure their children don't. I think there should be some common courtesy is all I'm saying.

LibertyTreeGal
01-25-2008, 10:57 AM
I also think that the media should not have released the name and location of the funeral home where the viewing will be held. Granted, they refused to comment on the date and time, but with Fred Phelps saying he's going to protest the funeral, that location information really should have been kept under wraps. The last thing that grieving family needs is for Heath's viewing and funeral to turn into a media, religious, and political circus.

The media will release absolutely anything.

That said, I am sure the Patriot Guard Riders will be there in force. They go to all military funerals to block Fed Phelps' gang. They were at my sons' cousin's funeral after he was killed in Iraq. I have spoken with one of them and they positively despise Fred Phelps, so if they know he's gonna be someplace, then they go too.

Marker
01-25-2008, 12:02 PM

Because unfortunately there's a market for it. People claim to be "appalled" by reporting such as that then turn right around and buy the tabloids, watch the shows, and spread the same gossip they claim bothers them. If there was no market for it, there would be no need for the supply.

Selling news is ALL about making assumptions and the Hollywood Spin factor!

Just my opinion, but that's not NEWS, that's gossip. News is (or at least should be) about facts. Unfortunately there is an ever increasing demand for rumors and gossip and less interest in news and actual facts.

When network "news" shows are telling the same stories as the tabloid TV shows.... you know something is out of whack.

Yes, it's a sad story. The NEWS should be, he died, and no determination has yet been made as to the definitive cause. To me, anything beyond that is speculation, rumor, and hype, and therefore irresponsible, disrespectful, and frankly none of my business.

PirateLover
02-02-2008, 01:42 AM
Michelle Williams has released a beautiful statement that I think helps to put everything in perspective...

"Please respect our need to grieve privately. My heart is broken. I am the mother of the most tender-hearted, high-spirited, beautiful little girl who is the spitting image of her father. All that I can cling to is his presence inside her that reveals itself every day. His family and I watch Matilda as she whispers to trees, hugs animals, and takes steps two at a time, and we know that he is with us still. She will be brought up with the best memories of him."

PirateLover
02-06-2008, 10:56 AM
And now, to finally bring this story to rest, the toxicology report has been released...
It was an accidental overdose.

Via TMZ...
The NYC medical examiner has finished the toxicology report following the death of Heath Ledger, and has just ruled that the actor's death was caused by "acute intoxication by the combined effects of oxycodone, hydrocodone, diazepam, temazepam, alprazolam, and doxylamine."

The NYPD found five medications in Ledger's apartment after his death, including anti-anxiety medications alprazolam (Xanax), diazepam (Valium) and Lorazepam (Ativan). The sleeping medication zopiclone (Lunesta) and the sedative temazepam (Restoril) -- which is used by people with "debilitating insomnia" -- were also found. Doxylamine is an antihistamine used in the short-term treatment of insomnia.

Ian
02-06-2008, 11:18 AM
I don't want to be negative or anything, but does anyone besides me find it odd that this was ruled "accidental?"

I mean that's an awful lot of powerful drugs to have on board ... seems like you'd have to be pretty naiive to think you could take all that stuff without having some serious results.

ChipnDaleGal
02-06-2008, 11:27 AM
I don't want to be negative or anything, but does anyone besides me find it odd that this was ruled "accidental?"

I mean that's an awful lot of powerful drugs to have on board ... seems like you'd have to be pretty naiive to think you could take all that stuff without having some serious results.

One of the prevalant working theories was that he had such a sleep issue that he woke up after a very short time and took more meds, not realizing how close the doses were. I think accidental death seems right. No one ever reported him as suicidal. Sad, depressed and very tired... but not suicidal. A person taking as much medication as he was would not be thinking very clearly about doses, etc. By all accounts he loved his daughter way too much to intentionally overdose. Such a heartbreaking tragedy for anyone that cared for him. Hopefully there will be some good coming out of this if it makes anyone else in his same situation get some help before they become a statistic as well.

PirateLover
02-06-2008, 06:51 PM

As far as I can tell from what I've read, he did not have excessive doses of any of the meds in his system. So he probably took a regular dosage of everything in too short a time span. As Donna said , being an insomniac you literally can start to go crazy and forget what's going on. It's not too far fetched to assume he didn't realize what he was doing by taking the meds close together.

BelleCiavo
02-07-2008, 09:23 AM

I agree, you'd have to be pretty ignorant to think you could take all that even all on the same day. It's sad, believe me I'm not bashing the guy.

ChipnDaleGal
02-07-2008, 10:09 AM
I agree, you'd have to be pretty ignorant to think you could take all that even all on the same day. It's sad, believe me I'm not bashing the guy.

I think there are a lot of people that believe if they have a prescription from a Dr. then it isn't like taking hard drugs. Hopefully such a high profile death will make others more respectful of their own prescriptions. It sounds like that would make the Ledger Family feel like his death had some kind of purpose.

LibertyTreeGal
02-07-2008, 11:44 AM
Being naive doesn't necessarily enter into it. After my first stroke, I was on meds that severely altered my perceptions on things, then they added another..... and my perceptions altered even more -- problem is, they always seemed very normal to me. After I got off all those meds two years later, I was stunned at how my mind was functioning for all of that time, and nothing ever seemed like it was wrong (and I'm not stupid, I have a high IQ and a good head on my shoulders - if it could happen to me it could happen to anyone).

You know, people just mostly have no clue as to how easily this can happen. Something traumatic, medically or otherwise, happens and you get used to one drug, then a doctor gives you another, and then another and then another. Sometimes you take two together and they make you a bit mushy and then you forget you've taken them so you take more, and it just goes downhill from there. Drug interactions are very variable and very tricky, and you just can't know for sure what went down.

And one of the drugs I was taking was Ambien (just like Heath), my anti-OCD drugs made it impossible to sleep so they gave it to me to counteract. Jack Nicholson is right, it is a dangerous drug that gave me hallucinations the one time I took it without the other stuff.