elmjimmlm
01-22-2008, 10:37 AM
Why does Disney consider 10 an adult age? Any thoughts?:confused:

hooberry
01-22-2008, 11:10 AM
:mickey:because they can:mickey:

Mufasa
01-22-2008, 11:22 AM
The reason that Disney considers a 10 year old an adult for the purpose of park admission is based on height/weight growth chart data.

At 10 years of age, more than 95% of boys and girls will have passed a height of 48 inches (in most cases the maximum height requirement on attractions in the park with a few exceptions- Buzz at DisneyQuest or driving a Tomorrowland Speedway vehicle unaccompanied come to mind as being higher) so since at that point a 10 year old can reasonably experience all attractions in the park with no height restrictions preventing them from riding they are considered and charged at an adult rate.

These days, the average age to meet most height requirements (at the 44 inch height range) I believe from the data collected by the parks is roughly 7 years old. Only Primeval Whirl, Rock n' Roller Coaster and the water parks are the attractions at least 48 inches if I remember correctly off the top of my head.

Children 3-9 get a discount because there's the thought that they can't experience all the attractions because of height requirements.

robemcdo
01-22-2008, 11:24 AM
Please see

Why they don't allow 5 in a room?
Why they charge more for dining plan and offer less.

Answer is the same for all. $$$$

My view on this is that it is ironic that WDW is a place where all can come and be a kid, but all must come and pay as an adult!

elmjimmlm
01-22-2008, 11:33 AM
Please see

My view on this is that it is ironic that WDW is a place where all can come and be a kid, but all must come and pay as an adult!:high5::exactly:

Can anyone tell me what 10 yr. old eats as much as an adult?

robemcdo
01-22-2008, 11:34 AM
The reason that Disney considers a 10 year old an adult for the purpose of park admission is based on height/weight growth chart data.

At 10 years of age, more than 95% of boys and girls will have passed a height of 48 inches (in most cases the maximum height requirement on attractions in the park with a few exceptions- Buzz at DisneyQuest or driving a Tomorrowland Speedway vehicle unaccompanied come to mind as being higher) so since at that point a 10 year old can reasonably experience all attractions in the park with no height restrictions preventing them from riding they are considered and charged at an adult rate.

These days, the average age to meet most height requirements (at the 44 inch height range) I believe from the data collected by the parks is roughly 7 years old. Only Primeval Whirl, Rock n' Roller Coaster and the water parks are the attractions at least 48 inches if I remember correctly off the top of my head.

Children 3-9 get a discount because there's the thought that they can't experience all the attractions because of height requirements.

Can you explain how the height of someone going on Primevil Whirl translates over to the dinner table where a chicken-finger eating 10 year old must order from the adult menu?

csdavis
01-22-2008, 11:36 AM
I don't mind paying the adult ticket. Over the week it's not that much different- I don't like paying the adult cost for my 10 year olds to eat. I have twin 10 yr. olds and they could split an entree and have some left.

SBETigg
01-22-2008, 12:21 PM
:high5::exactly:

I've known quite a few ten-year-olds who eat a lot more than some adults.

As far as the pricing issue, I find Disney to be competitively priced with other amusement parks and vacation destinations, and I get a lot more for my dollar at WDW as far as sheer happiness in return. It may sound Pollyanna, but it's true. And of course they want to make a profit! It's business. They would be out of business fast if they didn't make money.

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
01-22-2008, 04:15 PM
Well, my oldest son is 10 so we paid an adult rate for him in September
It was not an issue for us, we knew it would be coming

Now, since the age is the what determines the adult rate we make out better, because if it was based on height we would be paying an adult rate for our middle son too! He is only 8 but is the same height as my oldest!!

So, I'll take the 10 year old Adult rate with no complaints :mickey:

Oh yeah, the Dining plan is not an issue for us because we do not get it, way to much food for us!

MegaDisney
01-22-2008, 04:49 PM

I often wondered about that, but that makes sense.

Thanks for taking the time post the information!

MegaDisney
01-22-2008, 04:50 PM
I don't mind paying the adult ticket. Over the week it's not that much different- I don't like paying the adult cost for my 10 year olds to eat. I have twin 10 yr. olds and they could split an entree and have some left.

Is there a rule against them splitting an adult entree? I am confused???

DisFan01
01-22-2008, 05:15 PM
Please see

My view on this is that it is ironic that WDW is a place where all can come and be a kid, but all must come and pay as an adult!

This is sad, but true. Unfortunately, it seems many people (including Disney) are after the money, and not what the original plan and purpose was for it all.

But, we still love it! :number1:

thrillme
01-22-2008, 05:58 PM
I know in Six Flags parks for example...they don't put an actual "age limit" on things instead they put on a HEIGHT. They height is there because it's assumed that children of "X" height can take advantage of 95% of the rides thus "maximizing" the benefit of the ticket. So if your 4 year old is 48 inches..they'd be charged full rate. Disney is assuming by age 10 the child is at LEAST 48-52" inches and can maximize the ticket benefits.

NewmanFamily6
01-22-2008, 06:56 PM
I am going to go with because they can as well.......They know people like me will still pay reagrdless because we can't stay away:blush:

Polynesian Dweller
01-22-2008, 06:59 PM
This is sad, but true. Unfortunately, it seems many people (including Disney) are after the money, and not what the original plan and purpose was for it all.

But, we still love it! :number1:

Are you trying to say that Walt wasn't trying to make money when he opened Disneyland because he certainly was!!! You don't spend millions of dollars to build a park and have shareholders to report to and not expect to make money. Walt was targetting an audience he didn't think was well served, families wanting to spend time together. He served that target audience brilliantly with his theme park and the attractions based on his characters.

As someone who walked the Disneyland streets in 1958 and can tell you that he was trying to make money wherever he could, he even sold cells from the animation films on the corner outside of the Emporium in a box. I've got one. He was trying to sell anything he could and make as much as he could.

Nothing has changed. Its a business, the fantasy business, but still a business first and you try to make as much as the market will bear. That's basic business principles and you don't stay in business if you don't do that and we wouldn't have the parks if they didn't.

GrandFlo
01-22-2008, 08:57 PM

This is my DS. We are glad he is considered an adult on the dining plan because before he always whinned that he had to eat off the kids menu. He eats more than DH and I and he is so thin!! Ah to have the metabolism of a 10 year old boy :D.

As far as Disney out to make a buck, that's ok with me. As long as they keep giving me what I want (great service, an escape from reality, etc...), I'll pay their price. :mickey:

Speedy1998
01-22-2008, 09:20 PM

Most 10 yr old boys I have know eat more than an adult.. You must have girls.

Speedy1998
01-22-2008, 09:25 PM
Is there a rule against them splitting an adult entree? I am confused???

Only if you are eating at a buffet. If you are eating anywhere else you can split an entree.

elmjimmlm
01-22-2008, 10:07 PM
Most 10 yr old boys I have know eat more than an adult.. You must have girls.

Oddly enough, my 10 yr. old is a boy...Its not really the fact of him ordering from the adult menu...Last year we had the DP and if we get it this year it will almost be 500.00-600.00 more...

Tink#64
01-22-2008, 11:47 PM
It's a little frustrating to pay the same prices for our 10 year olds as we pay for oursleves. I have 2 DS's, now 12 & 10 & neither eats as much as an adult, and they are good size boys! DH 12 is 2 inches taller than me! I had thought about DDP this year until I looked at the prices! :faint: There's no way! :nono: We've never done DDP, although maybe we should have when DS's were younger! We don't do that many TS's (too much time wated for us) And actually DS's only ever eat about half of their meals, so we split alot of meals!

I know on this next trip we'll be paying for 4 adult park tix & that's gonna be noticeable in our budget! But apparently it's common everywhere. We took DS's to a local amusement/water park last summer & we had to pay for 4 adults then! Youngest DS was only 9! But their pricing was done by height! He's not even tall for his age! One of the shorter ones in his class! To me, it's everywhere - not just WDW, but I do feel like it comes down to money & the fact that they can. It seems to me, that not so long ago, the age cutoff for various things was 12. It seems to me that 13 would be more appropriate, when they become teenagers. To me this would make way more sense. They didn't ask me - did they! :blush:

katzctkpt
01-23-2008, 09:12 AM
The DP is way to much money and food. I also don't like having every meal planned and for a set time. What if I don't want seafood today and that's what my ressies are for? I like deciding my food that day and honestly I often wondered about Disney Restaurants going back to 1st come 1st serve and if they're really busy (restaurants)then jump in the car or grab a taxi and go out the gate to Olive Garden, Red Lobster, Outback or something. Back to the 10 yr old paying adult price. Some do eat more than an adult but, still they're not considered an adult in the eyes of the law until 18 so, why should it be any different at any amusement park etc....?

princessjojo
01-23-2008, 09:16 AM

Mine does, and then some... And yes they are active kids as well.

irish1967
01-24-2008, 03:44 PM

Mine does when he is going through a growth spurt!

kakn7294
01-24-2008, 06:07 PM
Can anyone tell me what 10 yr. old eats as much as an adult?Mine did. :blush: