PDA

View Full Version : Star tours question

lovedisneyworld
01-21-2008, 10:52 PM
My son is a huge star wars fan and really wants me to ride the Star Tours' ride. He has already rode it and really liked it. Anyways, I am nervous about it because of getting dizzy with the motion and watching the screen at the same time. Also I get claustrophobic and worried about the room being too small. Do I have anything to be worried about? I really want to ride this with him.

DANAM
01-21-2008, 11:01 PM
The rides a little rough (or alot rough) but I just looked down at the ground or in my lap. As long as you don't look at the screen you should be okay. My 3 year old did it and he said he didn't every want to do it again but he wasn't really scared or crying.
The room you go in is pretty big. I don't really have a problem with small spaces but I felt like it is quite roomy.
If you deceid to go for it. Don't look at the screen and ask to sit in the back row. That's what I do. It goes pretty quick!!

Polynesian Dweller
01-21-2008, 11:59 PM
The room is actually fairly large and you sit a distance back from the screen. Its as though you are looking through the windshield of the space craft.

I've actually found that I get far less of the effect sitting in the very front since you can't see the length of the 'vehicle' and so don't visually experience the turns as much. You might ask to sit there your first time to see how it works out. Given my slight claustrophibia and general dislike of jarring movements, and I love the ride, you should be OK.

Mackflava99
01-22-2008, 12:03 AM
my kids went on when they were 5 ( they met height requirements too) and they had no issue- its a little bumpy but not too bad,.

CleveRocks
01-22-2008, 07:25 AM
It's a bumpy ride ... almost exactly like riding in a truck or bus with a bad suspension system on a bumpy road.

As said earlier, the room is plenty big. I think you sit seven or eight people across, and there are at least 3 rows. The ceiling is not low, and as mentioned earlier you are a fair distance from the screen in the front.

Stu29573
01-22-2008, 08:02 AM
The room shouldn't be a problem, it's much larger than most ride vehicles, but I agree that the front is "smoother" than the back. I kind of compare it to riding in a school bus. The back tends to throw you around a bit more......

garymacd
01-22-2008, 11:15 AM
My beloved wife has SERIOUS vertigo issues which are part-and-parcel with the condition she has. She has never had a problem with Star Tours making her dizzy. We rode it about three times in a row once and it was never an issue. Mission to Space, on the other hand, did give her pause to reflect that maybe she shouldn't do that ride too many times.

As for the claustrophobia, the car you are in is really quite spacious. Your personal comfort would depend on the degree of discomfort you feel. Consider how you feel riding in a car at night and that is probably the extend of it. The seats are fairly roomy, too, so you won't be shoulder-to-shoulder with those next to you. Definitely ask to sit up front as others have said. There is more leg room (you can have a square dance up there) and you won't have the feeling of being penned in with people in front of you, beside you and behind you.

Tell the cast member your concerns and ask to sit in the front row. I am sure they will accomodate you; but you might have to wait for the next shuttle. That's no problem. They leave about every five minutes, and may even be a bonus since you may be able to sit at the end of the row closest to the door. There is some room between the door and the seat and you will be first off the ride.

rubato
01-22-2008, 12:11 PM
Sometimes, with claustrophobia, it's not the size of the room, but the fact that you can't escape. This is my hubby's biggest issue. When we did Mission Space he was SO close to having a panic attack. He can't be in an airplane or a cave (no matter how big). We're getting anti-anxiety meds for this trip. He really wants to ride these things!

Figgyluv03
01-22-2008, 12:25 PM
I have an issue with claustrophobia and I'm fine on this ride. As far as the motion, I've never had a problem with it either. I love it and it's the perfect length ride as well. Not too long, but not too short!

Tygger7
01-22-2008, 12:26 PM
My DH gets motion sick very easily and has never had problems with Star Tours. As others have said, the cars are quite roomy, especially if you sit in the front row.

The only rides that have EVER bothered me at WDW were:
1. Bugs Life in Animal Kingdom. Crowded or not, every time I go through the que to get to the theater I have a major panic attack. The ceiling is LOW and they cram the area with people. Once I get into the theater, I'm fine...but getting there about does me in. If there is ANY wait at all, I can't even attempt it.

2. Alien Encounter (Now Stitch's Great Escape). For the simple fact that you are held down tightly onto your seat. I didn't realize that I should have raised my bottom a little off the chair, so that the shoulder harness didn't sit so low and tight. Regardless of what they call it, I can't do it again...talk about feeling trapped with no way out...this is the worst.

The nice thing about Star Tours is that if you start to get motion sick, just close your eyes. I love this ride, and have never felt trapped or claustrophobic.

Good luck!! And may the force be with you!! :yoda: "Do or do not...there is no try." -Yoda

wedway76
01-22-2008, 03:56 PM
I’m not claustrophobic but I am VERY prone to motion sickness. I had the same problem as far as my family wanting to ride, and I was afraid of getting sick. I found that I can ride Star Tours and Body Wars with my eyes closed with no problem. No one knew that I didn’t see any part of the video. :secret:

RoosMomKanga
01-22-2008, 07:08 PM
I’m not claustrophobic but I am VERY prone to motion sickness. I had the same problem as far as my family wanting to ride, and I was afraid of getting sick. I found that I can ride Star Tours and Body Wars with my eyes closed with no problem. No one knew that I didn’t see any part of the video. :secret:

It bothered me (motion sickness) and I did the same thing!:blush: (But I get motion sickness in the 360º movies at EC too!...just shut them tight!)

#1donaldfan
01-22-2008, 09:07 PM
The room is quite large, just like most have said. I don't think you'll have a problem with the closed in space thing. As for the motions, it's pretty bumpy / jerky type of ride, but it is fun if you can get by that......try it and have fun.....:mickey:

Meteora
01-23-2008, 11:04 AM
Sometimes, with claustrophobia, it's not the size of the room, but the fact that you can't escape.

Yes, that's the issue I have, also. So it depends what bothers you. After you are seated and have checked your safety belt, the CM who is operating the ride will step out of the compartment, and the doors will swing dramatically closed, the doors on the other side, of course, being already closed. If you have an issue with being trapped in spaces, that might be difficult for you. The good news is that the lights go down and the ride starts almost immediately after, so that's a good distraction.

SunnyLee
01-23-2008, 11:10 AM
I don't know your level of uneasiness but...rest assure it is fun, and for me I never feel queezy or any motion after-affects like I might and do from Mission Space! You should DEF go on it..it's a classic!!!

biodtl
01-23-2008, 12:24 PM
Just close your eyes if you start to feel dizzy or sick and you should be fine. I managed to be OK on this ride, but I was nervous because Body Wars made me sick. These types od rides are the only ones that do it to me.

King Triton
01-23-2008, 12:44 PM
I pretty much agree with the consensus here. Star Tours doesn't give you the feeling of being closed in at all...its a big simulator; much larger than Mission:Space for example.

Like biodtl in the post above me, I did not like the motion in Body Wars, but found Star Tours mild in comparison. And like other posters have mentioned, if it does bother you (and I don't think it will), closing your eyes should do the trick.