PDA

View Full Version : PORT ORLEANS RIVERSIDE - MY SECOND STAY/IMPRESSIONS From Trip 1/16-21/08

jenfriend
01-21-2008, 10:48 PM
WHAT WE LOVE...
1. We love the Old Man Island swimming area at Port Orleans Riverside. It's a large pool with small slide, kiddie pool, and spa. The landscaping is excellent. I just feel like relaxing here. The bar has friendly CM who made excellent MaiTai.
2. Boats to the Downtown Disney area.
3. General theming/landscaping is great. We have staying in the mansion section and the Alleygator Bayou. They both have their own charm.
4. The trundle bed option for families of 5. This should be an option in more resorts. The trundle bed is ok for kids under 10 yo and under 5 feet. It wouldn't be comfortable for an adult. The mattress is the thickness of youth camp mattress.
5. Food Court Sassagoula has many choices, large area to eat in, and views of the river.

WHAT WE DON'T LIKE...
1. Expansive Resort layout. It has like 5 bus stops. We get tired just thinking of the walk from bus stop to our room! We request a room near a bus stop, but still it's a 5-10 minute walk. The pathways esp. in AB are confusing. We have gotten lost, circled our bldg. and almost walked up to the wrong bldg.
2. Bus stop order: Sometimes the bus stops at POFQ first, sometimes not. Sometimes stops at South/Main stop at POR, sometimes that one was last. We just never caught on to the order.
3. Designated Smoking areas are right next o the satallite pool. Keep the smoking away from the kiddies please. Place the butt contraption next to a bench near the parking lot or something.
4. The dance teams/competitors have started reserving the moderate hotels in addition to the Value Resorts. Too many under-supervised adolescents does change the ambiance of the resort.
5. I saw more garbage and undrained areas of water than on other trip.
6. Customer service seemed to be less accomodating. It's the little things: I asked a gift shop CM to hold a t-shirt I purchased, but I was directed to another cashier. We had to ask for a liner for our ice bucket and a towel animal (we got one for the whole trip & yes, we tipped & had our kids write thank you on an envelope each day). We checked in at 1:30am and were not offered luggage assistance, just given a map to find our way through the winding AB paths, and it took more than 40 minutes to check in.
7. Boatwrights Restaurant - ok food, great service, overpriced. We will not eat there again.

OVERALL
We love POR. We would stay again. And with Disney's attitude toward families of 5, we are nearly forced to return for the trundle bed. We wish we could try out some of the other moderate resorts - just for kicks. This is the best resort we've ever stayed at and look forward to visiting again someday.

pogo
01-21-2008, 10:59 PM
Thanks for sharing your opinions on POR. We've never stayed there and if they had their own bus service, we might consider it.

We love POFQ and CRB so we are not even really tempted by POR.

I think it is amazing that you are writing reviews on your first evening home. :notworth: That is something I could not do. :D

jenfriend
01-21-2008, 11:13 PM
I'm just getting it all down before I forget.

I'm so tired, I can't do anything around the house anyway. You can probably see a lot of grammar/spelling errors. It's the "jet lag" HAHA (1 hour difference).

Gottaluvgoof
01-22-2008, 10:09 AM
We have stayed there before a couple different times and I agree with some of your complaints. There is a LOT of walking involved and the buses are very slow. When you get one, it usually ends up being full and you have to stand. I liked the scenery and the trundle. The food court is not bad, but seems to always be crowded. Honestly, I stayed at All Star Sports my last trip and loved it. Much more open and I guess with luck on our side, we were VERY CLOSE to the main building. We never had to wait long for a bus and there were several of them going to the same parks. Only problem, we had to leave the DH at home, since we could only have 4 in the room. Disney needs to step it up on families of more than 4 people.

ibrowse17
01-22-2008, 10:12 AM
Great report, thanks:thumbsup: We stayed at POFQ for the first time in DEC, and will be staying at POR for the first time in a couple of weeks. I was concerned about the buses also, and hope they do not turn into a hassle. :thumbsup:

WDW1985
01-23-2008, 02:42 AM
6. Customer service seemed to be less accomodating. It's the little things: I asked a gift shop CM to hold a t-shirt I purchased, but I was directed to another cashier. We had to ask for a liner for our ice bucket and a towel animal (we got one for the whole trip & yes, we tipped & had our kids write thank you on an envelope each day). We checked in at 1:30am and were not offered luggage assistance, just given a map to find our way through the winding AB paths, and it took more than 40 minutes to check in.

We recently stayed at POR for a little over a week. My family has stayed there before many times and we did notice a change in the service from the cast members. Sometimes they seemed to be unenthusiastic and a little overwhelmed. I'm not sure with what, but there was a marked difference. Case in point, we had an issue with our reservation to the Spirit of Aloha show that we were going to that evening and I was directed to go to the concierge desk by the dining reservation agent on the phone. When I did they simply told me that they couldn't help me and the only way that I could get help would be at the Polynesian. I argued with the person that it seemed a bit unreasonable for me to have to go all the way to the Poly, but he persisted and that was it. I found out from the Polynesian concierge, who was incredibly accomodating and a bit embarassed, that the person could have easily helped me with only a few clicks. I wasted hours out of my day. :thedolls: That's unacceptable to me. By no means am I saying that the whole staff is like this, but IMHO the service in general is slipping at moderate resorts. For those of us who frequented WDW Moderate Resorts throughout the 80's and 90's I think you would agree.

:mickey:
WDW1985

katzctkpt
01-23-2008, 08:46 AM
I'm sorry to hear some of your complaints but, all in all you did enjoy POR and would return. My family loves this resort. I will agree with you about the mousekeeper service. This past year was the 1st time we had one that didn't do towel animals and sometimes would leave the ice bucket sleeve out. Hey, maybe it was the same person. Anyway I really didn't care for her service but, we left a tip each day and honestly I thought about not leaving one at all to see if she did better. The bus was never a problem for us and from my recollection there were buses for POFQ and POR Riverside during the day hours and at night they shared to help transporting guest. I also hate to hear that dance teams have figured out that POR exist. The pathways can be a little tricky but, I don't mind because most are covered by foliage and you don't have the sun beating down on you just watch out for the critters at night. As with any restaurant in Disney they are all pricey the food court has a good variety and the breakfast at Boatwrights is a must. The sweet potato pancakes, french toast, yum yum...

Airblue1
01-23-2008, 10:26 AM
What are some ways and distances to and from Boatwrights and French Quarter?
How long would each mode of transportation take?
About

garymacd
01-23-2008, 11:05 AM
What are some ways and distances to and from Boatwrights and French Quarter?
How long would each mode of transportation take?
About

You can take the boat from POR to POFQ, but really, by the time you wait for the boat you can walk there.

After 4 pm, one of the buses acts as an internal shuttle. I believe it is the DtD bus. Again, by the time you wait for the bus and then take the ride, you can walk.

There is also the horse-drawn carriage ride, but it doesn't let you off at POFQ, just goes back to POR. It's the same with the bike, surrey bike and water rat rentals, you have to have them back in an hour.

You can also drive your car. You never leave the resort, so there are no issues with security. But again, by the time you get to your car, get in, belt up, drive, find a parking spot and walk to the restaurant, you could have walked there.

That leaves the walk. The walk from boatwrights to POFQ only takes me about five minutes, but I walk fairly fast. Plan on about ten minutes for a leisurely stroll along the Sassagoula River from one resort to the other.

The best part of the walk is that whichever resort you end up in, there are fresh beignets waiting for you!:cloud9: Just your reward for that long strenuous walk!

#1donaldfan
01-23-2008, 01:16 PM
Well, we love POR AB....just the shaded, relaxing feel. We've stayed in bldg 18 and 14 over the last 5 years, which is only a short 3/4minute walk to the south depot (main bus stop). There are 4 other stops (north, east, west), plus the FQ one. About Boatwrights, the dinner is ok, but the breakfast WOW, no better at any Disney eatery. The smoking areas are near more traveled area's that could be changed I think. We've never had a problem with any CM's there, from the top to the bottom we love POR and it's sorta like our home away from home.....:thumbsup: