PDA

View Full Version : Food Critique LOSERS from visit 1/16-1/21/08

jenfriend
01-21-2008, 10:25 PM
My food critique from my recent visit - the losers. Be sure to check out the Winners on another thread I started.

1. Sci-Fi Dinner in Hollywood Studios was THE WORST MEAL I'VE EVER HAD IN EVERY WAY IN THE ENTIRE WDW OVER BOTH TRIPS! I cannot suggest in stronger terms to NOT choose this place to eat for a meal or snack. Why? Let me count the ways: A.)It's over-priced for the food choices and serving size. B.) Service was poor. She seemed bored especially when we told her we were here for a snack (Hey, it was 3pm!). Our snack ended up costing nearly $30 anyway. The milkshakes were awful. They were like watered down ice milk and that's using ice cream that was defrosted and re-frozen. One of my children ordered a chocolate sundae. Instead of bringing your average chocolate sundae that a kid would expect - and it was available on the kids menu and didn't specify that it was only available as an add on to a kids meal. My child was brought an after-dinner mint something or other creation sundae. It's basically a milkshake (see my opinion of milkshakes above) with mini pepermint patties dropped in the bottom, Hershey's style chocolate syrup drizzled and some whipped cream on top, no cherry. The onion rings were over cooked and cost $8 for 6 medium-sized rings. The fries were the same ones available at the ABC Commissary next door. So just go next door for your snack or meal. The ambiance is unique and it will be tempting to try this diner for the fun of sitting in a car, but do not give into temptation. Also, adults-only will not enjoy at all unless you can sit at the few tables made from cars that you sit facing each other. Most cars you sit car-style, forward facing the screen. Instead, ask to use the restrooms, then walk back through the restaurant. That's enough ambiance. The server did not offer anything when I complained about the so-called sundae. She brought me the wrong check. It took over ten minutes for her to sort this out - she had given me the wrong check. Again, no consideration for my time or my bringing this to her attention even though my kids and DH had gotten impatient and left the restaurant.
2. Cosmic Ray's carrot cake was awful. It's a pre-made dessert wrapped in plastic with a due date on it. I think CR's has great food, but not this item.
3. Pecos Bill's slow service; food was good and I still recommend this CS option in Frontierland in Magic Kingdom. We even used a credit card (or you can use your room key) for self-serve kiosk option (look to your far left when you enter). It was at least 10 minute wait outside Pecos Bills, then 20 minute wait once I placed my computerized order. I think this process could be sped up somehow. I did like the kiosk though. I never saw it elsewhere.
4. Sweet and Low (pink) was rarely available for the unsweetened iced tea. When I did find it, I hoarded it in my fanny pack. If you prefer the pink stuff bring your own. If you like sugar, equal, or splenda you should be able to find it in WDW.
5. ADRs proved hard to get on Sat. night on MLK holiday weekend. It got to the point where I simply asked reservationist what is available? I recommend making ADRs in advance - even double booking to be sure that you will have ADRs even if weather/plans change.
6. Dole Whips weren't as great as I had expected. We purchased ours in Adventureland in Magic Kingdom. I may give another flavor a try in a warmer day.

Maybe I'm easy to please, but we got what we expected.

Jared
01-21-2008, 10:37 PM
Sorry to hear you had such a bad experience at the Sci-Fi Dine-In Theater. You are absolutely not the only one to leave that particular restaurant disappointed. My family tried it a few years ago just to experience the ambiance, and we will not return.

SBETigg
01-21-2008, 10:39 PM
Thanks for reporting. I disagree on Sci-Fi. Sounds like you had a bad experience, but it's not always like that. The milkshakes were thick and delicious when we were there, and the lunch selections weren't bad at all, and not that pricey by our standards. Definitely not the greatest, but I think it's well worth it for lunch or snacks, lots of fun. Sorry you had such a bad time and such awful service.

dolphinmickey9170
01-21-2008, 10:41 PM
I'm sorry you hated Sci Fi. We loved it. We had a blast!!

Thanks for sharing.

pogo
01-21-2008, 10:43 PM
Thanks for your review. I'm not sure I'd agree with you on some of it, but that is what makes the world turn. :D

Hair_Razor
01-21-2008, 10:50 PM
This answers my question in your other post. :blush: So I have to agree with you about Sci-Fi TERRIBLE! We went there for dinner on our last trip and it was bad to say the least and dessert was the worst "food" (read thing) that I ever put in my mouth :ack: I had a apple crisp type dessert and it has this cinnamon wafer (read napkin) GROSS!

jenfriend
01-21-2008, 11:06 PM
I'm glad to hear not everyone hates this restaurant. It has such a wonderful hook and could be a great experience. I had heard some negatives about Sci-Fi but figured it couldn't be that bad. But it was awful from a tastebud and service standpoint. I wish there was a way to fix it so a higher percentage of people had a fabulous experience. It made me remember the drive in experiences as a kid (olden days now). Please, please To Whomever It May Concern: Fix the Sci-Fi Diner! I don't know which studio is Hollywood Studio so which movies/themes Disney has access to, but wouldn't a Fintstones or Grease Theme be an extension of the drive in (or something like that)? Here's my point: This ia a below average restaurant surrounded by so many other choices at WDW that are above average to superior.

Hair_Razor
01-21-2008, 11:10 PM
I don't think the theming needs to change it's the quality of food it's gross!!:ack:

Spaceship Tigger
01-22-2008, 07:38 AM
I have to agree now about Pecos Bills. The past three times we have been there it has been extremely slow. The CMs behind the counter act confused and disorganized. It's off our list for a while. Cosmic Ray's has the same burgers and we've never had to wait very long there.

rubato
01-22-2008, 08:45 AM
We will be eating at the Sci Fi in less than 2 weeks! I'm not going for food quality. We have our 8 year old son, and he'll just be thrilled with the surroundings. And, you know how kids are. If it comes with a toy, it must taste good!;)If hubby and I are a little dissapointed with quality, that'll be okay. I know the remaining dinner's we have ADRs for will be fabulous. It would be nice though to be able to have the ambiance of this place AND good food.

SignguyTom
01-22-2008, 10:30 AM
...I recommend making ADRs in advance - even double booking to be sure that you will have ADRs even if weather/plans change...

:down::down::down::down::down:

Book in advance - Absolutely.

Double booking - just plain wrong. This multiplies, maybe even creates, the ADR problem in the first place.

:twocents:

ginger19
01-22-2008, 11:47 AM
We booked our ADR's in advance and had no issues for this same weekend. We were taken on time for everyone and got into one place without one.
I would not recommend anyone double book as it's not fair to book something you know you won't use. I had it downpour for our princess breakfast and I still put on my rain gear and trekked up to breakfast. If you are worried about weather, please make ADR's that are not weather-dependent.

WDWCrazyKaren
01-22-2008, 11:53 AM
I hate to have to agree with you on the food at Sci Fi. DH and I were there about 1 1/2 weeks ago, and the food was so-so, at best. I had a steak that I could have shingled a roof with. DH had ribs, and they were spectacular however. I wish there had been enough of his ribs for both of us. Desserts were sketchy, DH also had the "After Dinner Mint". I opted for cheesecake, and they put M & M's and caramel corn all over the plate? Why? Why would they do that?

Dole Whips-They are light and refreshing, but I would certainly prefer ice cream. I wasn't over the top, as some people are.

I would have loved to have had a bit at Cosmic Rays, but it was so busy, the line was out the door!

Karen

DisneyDog
01-22-2008, 11:58 AM
I do have to agree with your review of sci-fi. We have been there a few times. I eat pretty much anything, but I didn't like what was on their menu and I thought it was overpriced. The last time we went there I got a caesar salad and it was awful. I don't want to go back there again.

MickeyMousse
01-22-2008, 04:25 PM
Sorry you had a bad experience at 2 of the restaurants that we particularly enjoyed last trip: Sci Fi and Pecos Bills!! We had good meals at both places.

DisFan01
01-22-2008, 05:24 PM
Thanks for reporting. I disagree on Sci-Fi. Sounds like you had a bad experience, but it's not always like that. The milkshakes were thick and delicious when we were there, and the lunch selections weren't bad at all, and not that pricey by our standards. Definitely not the greatest, but I think it's well worth it for lunch or snacks, lots of fun. Sorry you had such a bad time and such awful service.

I disagree on Sci-Fi too. I love this resteraunt playing old movies. And the hamburgers are great! Sorry you had a bad experience there.

jillluvsdisney
01-22-2008, 05:56 PM
I liked the self serve ordering kiosks at Pecos Bill's. I also agree with you about Dole Whips. What is the big deal? I can go to Dairy Queen and order a pineapple sundae and it's tasts the same.:confused:

porfer08
01-24-2008, 01:31 AM
I definitely agree about Sci Fi. We were so excited to go there, but it was super dissapointing.

The waiter acted like he was ticked off at us for having free-dining, and barely did anything for us. Service was slowwwwwww. The milkshake was...eh. Nothing special. The spinach dip was flavorless, as were the onion rings. I ordered a chicken sandwich but it was dry and flavorless as well. My dad ordered a hamburger, NO MUSHROOMS, well it came with extra mushrooms.

I'm usually not this critical of disney restaurants but my experience was just more than awful. I didn't even get a chance to watch the clips because I was trying to flag down the waiter the whole time.

Looking back on it, I feel sad that I wasted a peice of my precious WDW time on this restaurant. :(

mudpuppysmom
01-24-2008, 11:14 AM
We were there over the same MLK weekend and I'm glad I cancelled our ADR at Sci Fi now.....I was skeptical about it in the first place and now I'm glad we skipped it. We did try to go to Brown Derby, but the wait was too long, so we headed to Backlot Express (seems to be the only place we can get decent food at MGM).

We went to Pecos Bills too and I specifically asked for an extra order of fries (since I am having trouble eating meat these days) and the kid forgot it totally!! He was too busy telling the trainee behind him to make sure to do things slowly and not rush!! I just ate some of DH's fries and DS's bun from his burger instead.

We also went to Cosmic Ray's and this was the second time we had been there before but again we went in just because DH wanted to eat something!! Well, three lines there are and that is my problem with that place....we had to split up to get what we needed....they went and got nuggets and DH got something (I don't remember what he got over there) and I got the turkey wrap (yeah, I know the protein problem I have, but there was nothing else to eat there!!) then we had to find each other in that mess and then find a table.......I really don't like the set up there -- PLUS there was a guy in front of me a the topping bar (I was gettnig mayo and honey mustard for the wrap I got and ketchup for the guys (oh pickles too) and this guy comes with a plate and cuts in front of me and PILES (yes PILES) up mushrooms and onions on his plate and says to his wife "that should do me for lunch"!!! OK, done there -- I am just not fond of the place.

As for Dole Whips......they were my friend....they helped cool my stomach and calm it down!!

lightyearfan
01-24-2008, 12:58 PM
sorry that you had such a bad experience with Sci Fi, we have gone there twice and both times we were very pleased, on our last June trip (07), not only was the food very very good, but our server was the best server that we've ever had in WDW. im the type of guy who wont eat just to eat, if i dont like something after 1 bite i wont eat it. as far as the high prices, we are usually on the DDP, so pricing is never an issue, again sorry you had such a bad experience.

Victor

jszczur5
01-24-2008, 06:14 PM
I don't think the theming needs to change it's the quality of food it's gross!!:ack:

I agree completely! Also, the service in the last year or so has gone downhill. Our worst server ever- Sci-Fi in September/07. Our best server ever - Michael at Sci-Fi in September/06. We were on Free DDP both times, so I don't think that this was a factor.
My husband and kids are forcing me to go again this year. In return, they have agreed to Le Cellier twice. (How could they not?!)

MauiMouse
01-24-2008, 06:58 PM
Sorry you didn't like Sci Fi, I ate here once and that was enough for me too. They did have a very good Spinach and Artichoke Dip, if I only ordered that I would have been fne.

prttynpnk
01-25-2008, 10:45 AM
We haven't had much luck with counter service meals at MK- most are lackluster and seem prefab at best. That being said- I am still trying to work out the logistics of being buried with a dolewhip float. I think they are just dreamy. Maybe they aren't different than Dairy Queen, but i still love 'em.
Sci-fi is disapointing for us,too. We tried it and it's not for us.