PDA

View Full Version : Cheap but GOOD compact digital camera

tinksmom02
01-21-2008, 09:28 PM
Can you guys give me some advice? I'm looking to purchase a small (read: SLIM) digital camera. I have a great digital camera that I love, but it's big. I'd like something small that I can have in my purse (or pocket!).

Oh, and I don't want to spend a lot of money. Mostly because, like I said, I have a really decent camera. I've checked some websites and I can get side by side comparisons, but I don't know... do you guys have any opinions? I was looking at the Casio Exilim or the FujiFilm Finepix.

My camera is a Sony Cybershot, so having the same camera-type would be a bonus, so I wouldn't have to buy different memory cards BUT I think the smallest (cheapest LOL) cybershot is more than I want to spend, and not as small as the others.

Sorry so long, but I know my fellow Intercotees will be able to help me!

BouncingTigger
01-21-2008, 11:12 PM
I read my boyfriend your post (he's a photographer and knows practically everything about cameras) and he said definitely no on the Casio (he says they're not a very good brand) and said the FugiFilm is decent.

He recommended the Canon PowerShot A500 - A700, depending on your price range and what features you want. Some of the them have a pull out LCD screen so you can take pictures of yourself with your SO or someone by holding it in front of you while seeing what the picture will look like. He said Canon is a really good brand.

Hope this helps! If you have more questions, let me know (I'll ask him and write back what he says!).

tinksmom02
01-22-2008, 03:48 PM
thanks for the help! glad to have a professional opinion! I was looking into the Canon, as well...

Thanks again (and thanks to your DB, as well!)

porfer08
01-22-2008, 11:10 PM
I have a red Samsun S360, it small-ish and was only $100. It takes pretty good pictures as well. :) Good luck in finding the perfect camera.

brownie
01-23-2008, 11:08 AM
I'd recommend getting a Canon Powershot; you get a 6-7 megapixel camera for $200 or less. They take really good pictures, our only complaint is that the red eye doesn't work really good on them. (Just about everyone in the family has one.)

Mom to a Princess and a Prince
01-23-2008, 02:20 PM
I got a Nikon CoolPix for Christmas and I just love it. I think it was just over $200. Like you, I had an older digital camera. It was huge and heavy. My new one is a dream compared to the old one. It is not much bigger than a credit card.

BrerGnat
01-23-2008, 03:06 PM
I also recommend the Canon Powershot Digital ELPH. It's small and takes GREAT pictures! We love ours...

DisneyDudet
01-23-2008, 09:23 PM
I also recommend the Canon Powershot Digital ELPH. It's small and takes GREAT pictures! We love ours...

I was suggesting the same. I have the PowerShot ELPH SD1000. It takes great pictures, and has a lot of settings. I love my Canon so much, that I bought a professional Canon Camera!

PM me if you'd like a link to the pictures I took in Paris with my Canon ELPH.