PDA

View Full Version : Is it time to update MuppetVision?

tinpanorama
01-21-2008, 08:27 PM
After 17+ years, do you think its time for Disney MGM...er... Hollywood Studios to update MuppetVision?

Don't get me wrong, I think it's a great attraction and a classic... but, like Star Tours, its starting to get a little stale after all these years. Maybe I have just seen it too many times. :fozzie:

I think a new film in the spirit of the original Muppet Show would be great. They could keep using the existing "Muppet Theater" (with Statler & Waldorf in the balcony, etc) but use modern technology to knock our socks off. I think a Pigs in Space skit or some of Gonzo's daredevil stunts in 3-D would be pretty cool. (and no Waldo this time... please...)

What do you think? :kermit:

princessimagineer
01-21-2008, 08:40 PM
i hate to admit it, because it is one of my all time favorites, but i definoutly see your point. it just needs a small facelift maybe to bring it up to date, but im a little afraid of what that mite turn out to be.

DisFan01
01-21-2008, 08:43 PM
Yes, it could be time for an update...

I do like the ending a lot, where the whole building "explodes". If they had more great effects like that, it would be better. :secret:

DakotaDisney
01-21-2008, 08:46 PM
I like it as is, but an update would be okay.

I would much prefer an update to them ever getting rid of it. Which I hope never happens!

It is my favorite show at the Studios!

If they did update it, I think we would lose Jim Henson's performance of Kermit and others in it. I like the new performer. I forget his name right now, but Kermit will always be Jim Henson.
And I think that Muppets in 3-D was one of the last things major products that Jim performed Kermit and others in. Anyone know if that is correct or not?

PirateLover
01-21-2008, 08:57 PM
If they did update it, I think we would lose Jim Henson's performance of Kermit and others in it. I like the new performer. I forget his name right now, but Kermit will always be Jim Henson.
And I think that Muppets in 3-D was one of the last things major products that Jim performed Kermit and others in. Anyone know if that is correct or not?

Kermit is now performed by Steve Whitmire. I love the guy but you are correct in that Muppet*Vision 3D along with the once aired special "Muppets at Walt Disney World" were the last projects that Jim Henson and Richard Hunt (Sweetums, Beaker, Scooter, Statler, Janice) participated in before their untimely deaths. For that reason alone, I don't want the film changed. I would love for that to do more attractions or shows incorporating the Muppets however. They are so underutilized. :kermit:

Gator
01-21-2008, 09:08 PM
Since I've been only 3 times (starting five years ago), I don't think it needs an update. If anything needs an update or a complete replacement, it's the "Honey I..." 3-D. It was never good to begin with, other than the Kodak pre-show.

Dopey's Girl
01-21-2008, 09:36 PM
It is a bit tired, but I would be sad if the "updated" it like they have for other shows...I love the muppets, and think they should be involved in way more than they already are!

Timekeeper
01-21-2008, 09:52 PM
Even though I know much of the words to the show, I don't think they should do a whole lot to it. I like the show a lot. Like others have said, I think a better idea would be to make other attractions that involve the Muppets. Besides, more time should be spent adding new attractions to the park in my humble opinion. :mickey:

DANAM
01-21-2008, 10:55 PM
I would be scared to talk of an update. They may replace it this something Pixar. Don't get me wrong I love Pixar but I really like the Muffet's.
Although my kids have no clue who they are.
:kermit:

Hair_Razor
01-21-2008, 11:08 PM
I would be very happy to see more Muppets. I think they have a great following! :beaker:

NJ Camper
01-21-2008, 11:22 PM
After listening to everyone i've got mixed feelings yes a update sounds nice but with out jim i'm not sure it would be the same and i would hate to see it go even after 10 + trips I still love it

MegaDisney
01-21-2008, 11:28 PM
This was the last thing Jim Henson worked on before he passed away, would we be saying the same thing for one of Walt's last projects?

Polynesian Dweller
01-21-2008, 11:53 PM
Yes, it needs an update simply because it has been around so long. Jim Henson did work on it but at some point that doesn't matter as it simply will be too out of date. Time has a way of doing that and as hard as it can be to accept things have to change with time. As long as the film is maintained in the vaults it will be available to posterity.

tinpanorama
01-22-2008, 12:38 AM
I think Jim Henson would have embraced the new technologies that have come along since MuppetVision originally opened. As long as an updated film stayed true to the spirit of the characters (no embarrassing attempts to make them "hip", "edgy" or "in-your-face"), I wouldn't have a problem with freshening it up a bit or feel it was disrespecting Henson's memory.

(Perhaps they could release the original MuppetVision film onto a DVD with the "Muppets Go to Disney World" TV special and sell it in the gift shop. :mickey:)

DigitalDaredevil
01-22-2008, 02:53 AM
Having seen it many times, I think it needs an update. I do see it still as an enjoyable attraction for those who have never seen it. So I am torn between the frequent experience view and the reality that many people will only get to see it once in their lifetime.
But another thing to worry about is what would they change it to? Unfortunately, many of the recent years updates of attractions have been disappointing to longtime WDW fans. New attraction opinion will always have plenty of unhappy fans who loved their original attractions, but very few seem to hold onto the original magic and add to it.
The Haunted Mansion is one update that was well worth it while keeping the original ideas. Others, like Space, removed an attraction that had a very large fanbase.

MOJoe
01-22-2008, 12:42 PM
I agree with DigitalDaredevil. Although compared to more recent 3-D offerings, like Mickey's Philharmagic, Muppetvision does look a little old. But the question is - how could you improve it? I love the storyline, and the multi-media effects. How could you change it and stay true to the original, which has become a classic?
For me, i say leave it alone. I would hate to see the Muppets destroyed the same way The Enchanted Tiki Room was.

Figgyluv03
01-22-2008, 12:45 PM
I think the only part that really needs to be udated is that the end where they blow the giant hole in the wall and it looks like everyone from outside is peaking in. Okay, the hair, clothing and those mickey latex balloons have all got to go!!! Update it with something newer. Other than that, leave the rest alone!

FromKnoxvilleto Disney
01-22-2008, 01:22 PM
I'm ok with it but the whole Waldo thing is a bit annoying. Update a little with some new scenes and leave the old guys in the balcony they are the best part of the show.

Disney-lovin' Dutchman
01-22-2008, 05:07 PM
I agree that it should be updated but certainly not removed! I adore the Muppets and visit the show multiple times each trip, just as a sort of tribute to the Muppets :thumbsup:

But a new movie is definately called for and for pity´s sake, NO MORE WALDO! There are so many good ideas for a new show just in the movies alone!

Like the Giant Animal from the Muppet Movie..I would love that scene, Animal growing and growing on screen until his head "breaks" out of the screen and appears above the moviescreen :cloud9:
Or as someone said before Gonzo's many stunt..

As long as they keep the Muppets in something and the whole Muppet area in Hollywood Studios, I am happy :mickey:

BMan62
01-22-2008, 05:26 PM
The problem is that Disney bought the rights to the characters, but did not 'buy' the talent behind the characters.

Any update they did would have to be through a contract with Jim Henson Productions, otherwise I am pretty certain that it would not be very good.

I'm sure Bryan Henson would be very happy to work with his dads creations again.

dteed
01-22-2008, 05:53 PM
Always up for an improvement, but I do like it as it is.

celebrationasheley
01-22-2008, 06:52 PM
i like seeing the old disney balloons at the end....

NewmanFamily6
01-22-2008, 07:01 PM
I agree an update would be fantastic! Then again HISTK & Star Tours are also waiting for some updates.........Let us not even start on Sounds Dangerous:confused:

PirateLover
01-22-2008, 08:23 PM
I think Jim Henson would have embraced the new technologies that have come along since MuppetVision originally opened. As long as an updated film stayed true to the spirit of the characters (no embarrassing attempts to make them "hip", "edgy" or "in-your-face"), I wouldn't have a problem with freshening it up a bit or feel it was disrespecting Henson's memory.

That's what has me nervous. The last major Muppet production was done by Disney and was Muppets Wizard of Oz. Frankly, I thought it stunk. It had all of the embarrassing stuff that you mentioned. It's really hard to get past the fact that many of the original voice actors are gone. As I mentioned before, Henson and Hunt have passed away, Frank Oz has moved on, Jerry Nelson has been battling illness for a while and doesn't do much work anymore... The only performer of major roles left is Dave Goelz. It's hard to get over the voice differences when the product is inferior.

hubbyofadisneyholic
01-24-2008, 07:30 PM
With the recent record when it comes to "renovations" I say leave it alone!!!

What is so wrong with nostalgia?
Change for the sake of change doesn't assure improvement. It just assures that it will be different.

Haven't we learned our lesson after seeing what they did to JII and the Tiki Room?

There are plenty of visitors every year that are seeing Muppetvision for the first time and I'm sure there are also plenty of people like us that have seen it 50 times and can't wait until our next trip to see it again.

Ian
01-25-2008, 07:16 AM
<Dons flame retardant suit>

At the risk of being banned from INTERCOT forever, I'm going to be honest and say I'd be fine if they tore it down and built something totally new there.

I mean I grew up on the Muppets and loved them as much as the next person, but they just don't have the relevance to today's generations that they did for us. Yeah, nostalgia is great, but some things just don't age well. Ever tried watching an episode of some 80's sitcoms today? You're like, "Huh? Why did I like this?"

But my entire opinion is based on the fact that they'd actually replace it with something good, and since that seems incredibly unlikely given their recent pathetic track record, I'll stick with it as-is.

My God, can you imagine the horror of, "Muppet Labs - Under New Management, Starring Miley Cyrus"???????

Natazu
01-25-2008, 07:32 AM
A year ago I'd have said "No, I love it" but the truth is, the last few trips, we haven't even gone in. I think it's time for at least an update. I can't really vote The Muppets off the island 'til they do something about "Sounds Dangerous". Wow, what a waste of space.

Melanie
01-25-2008, 07:44 AM
Hmmm. Update? Sorry, but I'd be happy with a tear down and new attraction as well.

Rodders
01-25-2008, 08:40 AM
<Dons flame retardant suit>

At the risk of being banned from INTERCOT forever, I'm going to be honest and say I'd be fine if they tore it down and built something totally new there.

I mean I grew up on the Muppets and loved them as much as the next person, but they just don't have the relevance to today's generations that they did for us. Yeah, nostalgia is great, but some things just don't age well. Ever tried watching an episode of some 80's sitcoms today? You're like, "Huh? Why did I like this?"

But my entire opinion is based on the fact that they'd actually replace it with something good, and since that seems incredibly unlikely given their recent pathetic track record, I'll stick with it as-is.

My God, can you imagine the horror of, "Muppet Labs - Under New Management, Starring Miley Cyrus"???????

Not a flame in any way shape or form, I totally respect your opinion on the matter but....

I would be devastated if they even changed Muppets 3D. It's something that I have known since I was a child and now way want to let go. I guess that's the difference between going every few years and going more often.

prttynpnk
01-25-2008, 09:20 AM
I'd prefer they didn't change it- we only go once a year, so it hasn't gotten stale for us. I'd hate to lose the Jim Henson hand on that attraction. I would love to see some more Muppet theming in the park, though. How about the Muppets attacking Drew Carey? ;)

January-2007
01-25-2008, 09:53 AM
Kermit is now performed by Steve Whitmire. I love the guy but you are correct in that Muppet*Vision 3D along with the once aired special "Muppets at Walt Disney World" were the last projects that Jim Henson and Richard Hunt (Sweetums, Beaker, Scooter, Statler, Janice) participated in before their untimely deaths. For that reason alone, I don't want the film changed. I would love for that to do more attractions or shows incorporating the Muppets however. They are so underutilized. :kermit:

:exactly: :kermit::sam::animal::gonzo::fozzie::beaker: