PDA

View Full Version : I'm adopting a puppy!

sleepingbooty
01-21-2008, 06:06 PM
I'm so excited! We found an adorable cavalier king charles/ cocker spaniel mix at a local rescue and have decided to make him part of our family. Its been a long time since I've owned a dog, but I think our girls are ready for one. Now I just need a good name. He's a boy, and he's currently named Carter (but only for the last week since he's been at the rescue). I may keep that name, but I thought maybe we could come up with a good Disney name?

Any suggestions?:cloud9:

mrsgaribaldi
01-22-2008, 05:04 AM
Congratulations and good luck with your new puppy. I like people names for animals, how about Walt?;)

RenDuran
01-22-2008, 09:54 AM
How fun! Congrats on the newest family member!

I say live with your dog for a week or so before naming him. We used to always have thoughts on names before we brought an animal home and then changed our minds after living with them a while.

BouncingTigger
01-22-2008, 10:16 AM
First of all, I just wanted to say GREAT choice for adopting an animal from a rescue! :thumbsup: They really need loving homes and I'm sure your new puppy is so glad to have a nice family!

I agree that you should get to know your puppy before naming him. My new kitten (got him right before Christmas) was very outgoing and playful, so within a day or two we decided to name him Tigger! Plus he is orange, so it is perfect. Think of your fave Disney characters, maybe make a list, and then consult that list once you get to know the puppy's personality.

Also, if you can't decide between two names, make one of those names the puppy's middle name. For instance, my boyfriend wanted to call Tigger "Crush" like the orange soda, so we made his name Tigger Crush with a hyphenated last name (mine and my bf's).

MsMin
01-22-2008, 10:41 AM
:paw: sounds like a great choice for a pup for little ones. There is a website that has Disney dog names. Our last little pup had 4 names before one stuck. He's now Mr. Brisby the mouse from the secret of NIHM Not disney but fitting since I'm in mental health. We have a Chloe (the doxie from the Ugly Daschund) Maxwell the dog in the Little Mermaid and Reilly and Mr. Brisby.
I wanted Jaq for Mr. B but it was rejected the girls thought that sounded more French but I explained that Jaq is British not French but to no avail... I wanted Jaq Lafitte. He was a brother of Jean Lafitte.
They say two syllables are best for a dog. (not that the full name can't be longer) We try it will all sorts of nicknames e.g. Chloe we call Chlo Chlo, Maxwell is Max, Reilly is Rye Rye or Reilly Bo Bo (Beau is his middle name) and Mr. Brisby is Brisel or Bris for short. So make sure you play with it! Have fun :pup:

DisneyDog
01-22-2008, 11:24 AM
Congratulations! I would like a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel some day. We recently lost our dog and we're not ready for another one just yet. But if I were to switch breeds, that is definitely what I would want to get (we are a corgi family).

You could always name your new dog Pluto or Goofy.

Sinewiz
01-22-2008, 11:58 AM
Good for you! I love hearing of people rescuing animals from shelters. :thumbsup:

sleepingbooty
01-24-2008, 02:01 PM
Thanks for the replies. We considered many names (including Walt, mrsgaribaldi!), but we ended up with Woody. Toy Story is one of our all time faves, and I thought it was a sweet name for a sweet dog. He's doing really well with his crate training, but I think he has kennel cough. I'm taking him to the vet today. He sure doesn't like going out for potty breaks in the below zero wind chill temps we're having here in St. Louis! In retrospect, probably not the best time of year to adopt a puppy, but I just fell in love when I saw him.

MsMin
01-24-2008, 02:46 PM
Congrats again on your new addition. It is common for shelter dogs to have a kennel cough. My vet recommended using a dry treat like liversnaps to help the throat w/ the mucus. We had a bad cough/cold type virus last spring when we had pups despite the vaccine for bordetella. Trach problems can result from excess coughing, especially in the toy breeds but it wouldn't hurt to take preventative measures. We had a cough syrup too but the cough lasted 2 weeks.
Woody is such a great name. I understand the potty training in winter b/c we got Chloe in January. Problem w/ summer dogs is they are not old enough to board when you want to go on vacation so at least Woody will be old enough to board for your next trip if needed.

MMouse6937
01-24-2008, 04:17 PM
Congrats on your puppy, I'm glad you got him from the shelter. They definately have issues with respiratory viruses there, it's just too hard to control. I think Woody is a great name. We have Nala, Minnie, Daisy, Dory, and George. I lost out on naming Pinto and Scooter, DH got those. I wanted them all to be Disney, but had to compromise! Good luck with him!! :thumbsup:

DisneyDudet
01-24-2008, 04:31 PM
MsMin... we call our Chloe Chlo Chlo too, among other names.

We love our rescue puppy! She's a lab/chow mix, and the sweetest thing in the world! Never have I seen a dog this pretty and who loves people so much that she'll let you do anything! I mean, rub her feet... love her to death...and she's pushing 50 lbs! She really is a beautiful dog!

Some rescue pups can come broken, with emotional problems from being isolated or abandoned, so watch out for that. My grandmother's dog was abandoned on the side of the road in the cold of winter, so he's not a fan of the cold, plus he's afraid of thunder and cars. Can you blame the poor thing? Something must have happened to Chloe when we boarded her during a vacation once, because it took her YEARS before she liked men, especially men with low voices. But she's better now!

Give Woody a big hug from us, and Chloe sends a puppy kiss! Nothing like giving something a new life and a new home. It makes you appreciate them so much more!