PDA

View Full Version : PediaSure

Sunshine1010
01-21-2008, 02:47 PM
I've always wanted to give my son PediaSure for the vitamin source. But, he never liked it. All of a sudden, he's really liking it. I only let him have 1 a day.

Well, I noticed the other day that the container states something like:
- Consult your doctor before using this product

Why would I need to do that?

merlinmagic4
01-21-2008, 03:07 PM
My guess is that they don't want people using a nutritional drink over a well-rounded diet for a child. As long as you are offering other foods I would think it would be fine. It is used a lot in children with medical problems to supply needed nutrients and calories. My son with the transplant drinks a Carnation breakfast shake every morning. It's unfortunately the best nutrition he gets!

Anyway, I may be wrong but that's my guess.

How old is your child? Is he a really picky eater (mine is)?

Sunshine1010
01-21-2008, 03:20 PM
My son is 6 years old, and in good health (except he still gets Croup, and is deathly allergic to Amoxicillan).

I'm assuming you are relating PediaSure to the drink called Boost that is sometimes used for cancer patients, .....and the like.

He is not a picky eater. Whenever he tries 3 new foods, he gets to go buy a toy....so that incentive has helped quite a bit. Of course, he's an average 6 year old who won't eat brussel sprouts and such. he he

The package states that the product is for children up to 13 years of age. If there is no harm in it, I'd like to give him one per day....

Only thing is ---- it was $10.00 for 6 drinks!!!!!

kakn7294
01-21-2008, 03:36 PM
As a nurse, I know in adults who are on a strictly liquid diet, they often develop diarrhea as well as sometimes have a nutritional imbalance depending on which "formula" they are on - each one has certain levels of nutrition based on the person's needs. I would assume that they would not want your child developing an over- or under-abundance of certain nutrients or even the PediaSure contributing to obesity if he does eat well enough. Ask your doctor, but I'm pretty sure that one per day should be safe.

MNNHFLTX
01-21-2008, 06:30 PM
Most pediatricians like to know everything kids are taking on a routine basis, even daily multivitamins. It is for the reason Kathy mentioned--that an overabundance of certain nutrients can sometimes be a problem for kids too. I would run this by your son's doctor, just to be on the safe side. If your son eats a well-balanced diet otherwise, it may not be necessary for him to drink Pediasure every day (and it would save you some big $$$ too!)

Sunshine1010
01-21-2008, 06:51 PM
Does this drink boost the immune system at all?

merlinmagic4
01-21-2008, 08:27 PM
I'm assuming you are relating PediaSure to the drink called Boost that is sometimes used for cancer patients, .....and the like.

Actually, I know quite a few kids with medical issues who drink it. Never heard of Boost......

Sunshine1010
01-22-2008, 12:32 AM
Thanks for everyone's responses.

I found the website, and this is what their official website states:

"PediaSure drinks are a medical food for times when growth is a concern, or a child is unable to eat solid foods"

Well....I guess I'll stop buying it. He's had a total of 6 drinks, so no harm is done.

BUT - I thought it was just a nutritional drink. No big deal. I'm glad I 'investigated' it.

Thanks everyone!!!!!!!!