PDA

View Full Version : I need input on a resort...

Erica9901
01-21-2008, 12:02 PM
I need some advice. I am wondering how much of a difference there is between value, moderate and delux Disney hotels.

A little backgroud:
We've been to Disney 7 times - we've stayed off-site, Dolphin/Swan 2x, All-Star Sports, Boardwalk, Poly and Wilderness Lodge (In that order). We loved all the Deluxe resorts; but the 1 value was a really bad experience. The room wasn't clean, smelled really bad (had to of been a smoking room, plus a very strong soured-milk smell) they wouldn't change our room, even though my son - (then 3) has a bad reaction to cig somke, the key wouldn't work EVERY time we went to the room and we were the furthest from the lobby, so we'd have to double back for a new key every time. We ended up leaving 3 days early (a 10 day trip) b/c of the hotel.
That being said, we have never been to a moderate and are considering POR this time - Sept 2008. My only question is - how different it will POR be from the deluxes, and is it a lot better than All Star sports???
Thanks in advance,
Erica

#1donaldfan
01-21-2008, 12:37 PM
We absolutley love POR Riverside......it's a mod with a deluxe feel without the "high and mighty attitude". It's a very laid back, quiet, relaxing place. The resort is set up in a way that almost everything is "centralized". There are 5 quiet pools and one signature pool. The food court is very nice, and the restraunt Boatwrights has the best breakfast of any Disney eatery. You can take a boat to DtD for eating / shopping, ride a carrige, rent your own personal water craft. There is just so much to do there, but who really does, we tend to stay in the parks 95% of our time, but it is very nice to come back and relax a bit between parks. For the money I will alway choose a mod over a deluxe. My reasoning is it's only a place to sleep and shower, but for what I've been told by fam and friends the values are more busy, with the hustle & bustle of being in a park. I truly think you'll love POR.......also, we tend to stay in the alligator bayou section.:mickey:

Pirate Granny
01-21-2008, 12:44 PM
I've stayed in all three, value, moderate and deluxe...and actually never had a problems with any of the hotels...except a smoking room in the value...which they changed immediately...but there are no more smoking rooms since last year, so I don't expect to ever run into that problem again...it's all about what type of theme and experience you want...I want value most of the time 'cause we're only there to sleep and shower...
:pirate:

Kairi_7378
01-21-2008, 01:02 PM
Can you tell us a little more about your family, and who will be staying in the resort with you? That will help us make recommendations.

My husband and I are big PO fans. We like the central location of the two resorts and the theming. (POR and POFQ are about equidistant from the parks.) DH likes the layout of POR more than FQ. It is really a beautiful resort. It is quiet and romantic, but family-friendly as well. I think that #1donaldfan summed up the ammenities of POR very well. I think that the mods get a bad rap because they are big, but the ammenities, to us, make it worth the price difference between a value and a mod. We have never been able to justify the expense of a deluxe resort. Best of luck with your decision and have fun!!!

KarenP
01-21-2008, 01:09 PM
I have stayed in every resort category and in my opinion as far as the rooms go, there is definitely a difference between the moderate and deluxe resorts. I do not think there is much of a difference when you go from value to moderate.

SBETigg
01-21-2008, 01:17 PM
POR is a nice resort, great theming and pool area, nice rooms. We had good experience with housekeeping there, clean room, no problems. It's a good option, but we prefer the monorail deluxes for the larger rooms, larger beds, and location.

Bri
01-21-2008, 01:18 PM
I have stayed at Pop Century and POFQ. I didn't like POP, it was too noisy and the room was really far away and i didn't feel very relaxed. I LOVED POFQ, it was small, the rooms were nice, it was quite and it had a very calming atmosphere. I have never stayed at POR but I have family that has and they really liked it. I don't think you can go wrong with either POFQ or POR.

Aggie97
01-21-2008, 01:22 PM
We stayed at a moderate resort (POFQ) last month for the first time since 2000, and unfortunately we weren't thrilled with it. The theming was truly very nice and pretty, and we liked the pool area. But we missed several things about the deluxe resorts much more than we had anticipated:

transportation speed and options -- we were really unhappy with how long it took us to get to the parks, particularly Epcot and MK, where we spend most of our park time. (POFQ & POR have a lot of bus stops!) We really missed the monorail, and being able to walk to the TTC from the Polynesian
larger guest room with two queen-sized beds and other amenities (larger bathroom, flat-panel TV, etc.)
multiple TS dining options, both at the resort and at other nearby resorts (such as the monorail or Epcot resort areas)
having a character meal on-site
extended shopping options, both at the resort and at other nearby resorts
CS dining that was open 24/7 (such as Captain Cook's or Gasparilla Grill -- hot food service may close at 11 /12, but you can still get prepackaged food, ice cream, drinks, etc.)
having a refillable mug drink station open 24/7
the "magic" of being able to see a theme park when walking around the resort at night and watch the fireworks from the resort

I think it all depends on your personal preference, priorities, the composition of your party, and really what you're looking for. I guess that's why WDW offers all different options to fit different people's needs! :mickey:

Erica9901
01-22-2008, 12:05 PM
It'll be me, my husband, 3 boys - 7,5,4 & and baby girl- 1 and a half. So, a family of 6 - one's an infant.
We started considering POR b/c -Ithink- we could all stay in 1 room (which ends up happening even if we get 2).
* I don't understand why we can all stay in that room but not in a room with more sqaure feet?

Anyayways, I am starting to think it'd be best to just do the deluxe. Is there ANY that sleep 5 + an infant?

Erica

SBETigg
01-22-2008, 12:25 PM
Most of the deluxes sleep five, with two queen beds and a day bed. I believe the two exceptions are the Wilderness Lodge and the Animal Kingdom Lodge.

J.C.&ALI'SMOM
01-22-2008, 12:28 PM
Ft. Wilderness Cabins may be a good option too. You would also have the ability to keep/prepare some food with the kitchen.

Erica9901
01-22-2008, 12:51 PM
I never cook on vacation - I cook too much at home. I don't think we'd ever use the kitchen. Probably not even the fridge...

If a Deluxe sleeps 5, will the baby count as 6and we can't stay there??

I looked at the prices and it costs less to stay at POR than a suite or 2 rooms at the allstar music.

J.C.&ALI'SMOM
01-22-2008, 08:01 PM
I never cook on vacation - I cook too much at home. I don't think we'd ever use the kitchen. Probably not even the fridge...

If a Deluxe sleeps 5, will the baby count as 6and we can't stay there??

I looked at the prices and it costs less to stay at POR than a suite or 2 rooms at the allstar music.

I just thought it would be nice to have a fridge to keep milk, snacks for the kids.

I don't think that 6 can stay at POR, even if one is under 3. Anyway, the room is rather small for that many people!

EDIT: I am wrong! You can have 5 + one under 3 in a trundle bed room at POR. To me it would be a very tight fit though.