PDA

View Full Version : Introducing folks to the World

EPCOTcoffeegirl
01-20-2008, 12:51 PM
:mickey: howdy folks!

I really need to post more often, and since I hav a trip only months away now, I'm sure I will be!

Anyway, it HAS been a long time since I've posted, so I'll reintroduce myself :)!

I've been a Disney nut since birth, thanks to my DM and DD--my uncle's worked in security sinc3 72 and we used to go all of the time when I was a little one! I VAGUELY remember being present at the Epcot opening :)

After growing up going to the parks, I decided to do the college program, and working there was amazing :) I got to work IN Epcot, which was a dream come true--I adore MK but there's something so special about Epcot.

Anyway, lets just say everyone who knows me knows how much of a Disney nut I am.

HOWEVER, and this is where I need the exceptional park going prowess of the intercot boarders...I've NEVER gone with anyone who hasn't been before.

A group of four of us are going apr 26-may 1 and two of them have NEVER been!

I'm excited about the prospect of taking newbies, but worried that my typical style of hitting the parks won't be appropriate.

How do I walk that line of showing them what I love without overwhelming them? How many times do I do things like sacrificing the watching of the Indy stunt show to let them see for themselves how crouded the HISTK playground is?

I don't want to be a drill sargeant, but I don't want to let them (and myself) miss out on some of the cool tricks and hidden wonders I've learned about in my years of attendng with family and then working there!

now that I've rambled, the floor is yours...enlighten me, oh obi wans, to the do's and don'ts of newbie taking!:notworth:

NJ Camper
01-20-2008, 01:04 PM
I think the best part is watching the look on someones face the first time they visit i wish i could have seen my face i could only amagine what it looked like i guess it depends on your friends but i would just let them discover the magic on there own and just steer them slightly to things they would like but not get to overwhelming Being you know alot from working there you could show them things they would miss i know i still see things i have missed even after many trips but have fun and enjoy the magic yourself also:mickey:

BouncingTigger
01-20-2008, 01:13 PM
I took my boyfriend to WDW a little while ago. He hadn't been for many years and didn't remember much of anything (plus, he had only gone to Epcot).

He was a pretty good sport. He got up early with me most days and let me troop around to almost every ride. I think he enjoyed the rides more than he would admit because he never complained about them!

However, he DID complain about his feet hurting! Make sure your friends know WDW is a lot of walking - bring comfy broken-in shoes and cushy socks. Bring stuff for blisters just in case. If they are complaining about their feet, take a break by either sitting on a bench or going on a ride like TTA (we walked right on to that - no line - and got to relax while still feeling like we were doing something).

Also, know what your friends like beforehand. If they like more exciting rides, take them on some of the Mountains and the thrill rides at other parks. Also, if they watched a few Disney movies growing up, take them to PhilharMagic - I loved it because I got to hear songs I hadn't heard for years.

Also, try to steer clear of long lines the best you can. Everyone gets sick of standing in lines, but I think newbies especially hate it. Get there early in the morning when the crowds are less and make use of FASTPASS.

Edited to Add: Make sure everyone is well-fed and has plenty to drink. A growling stomach and thirstiness can make people awfully grumpy!

EPCOTcoffeegirl
01-20-2008, 01:25 PM
Well, the ages of those of us going range from 27(me)to25. Four girls. We're all big nerds, so I know they'll love studios for the Indy Jones/SW/Muppets factors etc.

They LOVE going to Renn faires and being a part of the action of shows etc so I know they'll love the WS performances.

They're essentially big kids (like me), so they'll be up for anything! I can't see images of main street or hear the illuminations music or such and NOT tear up!

The shoe thing I'd have never though ot though!

keep em coming!:D

chick20679
01-20-2008, 02:24 PM
I would just show them why YOU love it.

I doubt that you'll overwhelm them - I imagine them going with a vetran Disney park goer will leave them much less overwhelmed than if they were to go by themselves. After all, you know the tips and tools to make the trip more enjoyable.

Have them get a guidebook or look online and make a list of their top two or three 'must sees' and then do them - even if its something you'd normally skip - that way they feel like they are doing what they want AND what you want.

I think it would be SO fun to go with a couple of girlfriends and show them everything I love about Disney. I'm sure you'll have a great trip.
Have fun! :mickey:

Duchess99
01-20-2008, 03:51 PM
However, he DID complain about his feet hurting!

I took my boyfriend for his first visit last February and he had the same complaint. Definitely make sure they are prepared for all the walking.
I'm also a WDW veteran visitor and he was relieved that all the planning was done for him. I know all the tricks to cutting down wait times and maximizing your day, so he loved that.
I also agree that you should give them a guide book to go over and go over what they think they'll want to do . This way you'll get a better idea of how to plan your trip. Remember that planning is part of the fun so make sure to include them...it'll also peak their excitement.
Overall, I would make sure to put in some relaxation time as well. Sometimes I think that us WDW enthusiasts have a different view of what a vacation is...running around to see and do everything. Spend some time by the pool, pamper yourselves at a spa, or just sit on a bench in one of the parks for a while...they'll appreciate that.
Have fun!

wendy*darling
01-20-2008, 04:05 PM
I would just show them why YOU love it.
That's it right there!

If you are excited about the rides, the restaurants and the fireworks- that feeling is infectious.

We have taken newbies 4 different times. All of them ended up loving their time there. And all of them wanted to go back.

Get an idea of what they really want to do. Like if they have heard about Everest- make sure to do it. But do other things that you love as well.

Use Fast Pass at every opportunity- that really impresses people!

Plan some great TS meals if your budget allows. We planned some resort dinners- like 'Ohana and Boma. Not only did we get a great dinner, but we got to show off some of the resorts. That's another way to impress them about how Disney World is way more than Mickey Mouse! :mickey:

I would make sure to do a character meal too. :D

Use the PhotoPass photographers as much as possible.

The walking IS intensive- so stop and relax for lunch, dinner and snacks.

Enjoy the Flower & Garden Festival! It will be gorgeous in Epcot at that time.

Most of all- YOU have a good time, and more likely than not- they will too. :thumbsup:

vamaggie
01-20-2008, 04:24 PM
The nice thing about Newbies is that they don't know what they are missing :secret: so they probably won't be disappointed no matter what you do! I would have them get a guidebook and the maps from the Disney site and have them spend some time figuring out what they may want to do. I would probably get together for a planning session or 2 (but I am a huge planning nut!) to loosely map out what parks you are doing and what stuff in each park is a must do for anyone. Also, I would let everybody know that if someone doesn't want to "follow the program" (and instead go back and veg at the room/pool) that that is ok. Not everyone has to be tied at the hip all the time. Discuss anything that may become an issue (who rises early, sleeps in, eats only meat, eats no meat etc) before you get there so everyone is on the same page. Have a great trip--I'm jealous that your friends will have someone like you with the "inside track" to show them the magic!

jclightchasr
01-20-2008, 04:26 PM
Ok since you are somewhat functioning as tourguide I would buy a New Birbaums guide to Disney and meet up with those who are going along with a vacation planning DVD and have an Itinerary party get their feedback answer questions and feel them out for what they would like to see and then take notes. Then when you are there you can point out all the cool stuff they saw in the Video and book to add to the magic. This will enable you to see who might not want to ride Tower of Terror or who doesn't like childrens rides etc. You will have a blast and so will they as long as they don't think you aren't considering them in the equation. Which you obviously are or you wouldn't have asked us for advice.

Goofy Texan
01-20-2008, 07:12 PM
I suggest you plan a practice day as soon as possible. If you can, spend the night together so you can see how everyone handles mornings. Then spend the day doing something that requires a lot of walking. Hit the museums, zoo, shopping, or a combination of everything. A day at the ren fair would work too, if the timing is right. Use this day to get an idea of everyones energy level. How long can you walk around before a break is needed? Is anyone really dragging by the end of the day?

You'll learn a lot about each others vacation style, see where problems might be and have time to fix them.

For example, I just spent a weekend with my daughter and her friend (13 year olds) that I'll be taking to DW in June. We spent the night at Great Wolf Lodge, a hotel with an indoor water park. That trip showed me that the friend has trouble getting up in the morning, and we were able to discuss ways to help her. I also found out that I'm not near in good enough shape, so I stepped up my workouts.

I hope this helps!

Bri
01-20-2008, 08:15 PM
When my boyfriend and I went for the first time in 2005, he hadn't been there since he was 4. He was 25 when we went. He was really excited to go and when we got there, we just did everything we wanted. I had been there more recently than he had and there was stuff that I knew that he didn't. We were there for 7 full days so we spent as much time as we wanted wherever we wanted. I find that 1 day per park is good enough, if it's not to crowded (we go during value season). Then you can always go back and do your favorites again. Just go with the flow, you will get everything done that you want to do and if you don't get everything done, that gives you a good reason to go back soon!

EPCOTcoffeegirl
01-20-2008, 08:46 PM
You guys so rock! This is why I've always loved this board so much! Ya'lls enthusiasm is contagious!

We did a planning dvd night already and the main reason we're going is that one of the newbies wants to go for her 25th bday. We're spending her bday in MK and it's an EMH evening! So I plan on dragger her to town hall to grab a button and have goofy sing happy birthday to her.

ANYWAY, every thing she saw in the video, from dumbo and character greetings, she jumps up and down in her seat going "I wanna see/do that!"

The other girl going is a great friend, but a tad picky about lots of things, so she'll be the first to say "um, no" but if the three of us coral her into it, she goes along and enjoys herself :)

keep em rollin if you gottem guys :)

We're staying at pop century, and I think they'll dig the food court, so I'm thinking (since we all love a big breakfast) to suggest that we all eat breakfast in the morning, hit the parks and eat a late lunch or an early dinner.

We prolly won't do any dining packages, but what TS restaurants do you think we should do?

NJ Camper
01-20-2008, 09:02 PM
If you like a big breakfast maybe you can get a ADR for crystal palace the morning you go to MK that makes for a good breakfast and as big as you want just get a ADR :mickey:

vamaggie
01-22-2008, 05:22 PM
If you like a big breakfast maybe you can get a ADR for crystal palace the morning you go to MK that makes for a good breakfast and as big as you want just get a ADR :mickey:

If you do this (or any breakfast ADR in a park) try to get one about 1 hr before the park opens. You get to enter early, have the streets to yourself, get great pics etc.