PDA

View Full Version : GeoCaching in WDW?

earman
01-20-2008, 10:07 AM
:mickey:My wife and daughter are at WDW this week... I'm home with the older kids... when they were younger, we used to pull them out of school for a week... however with the pressure of grades... colleges etc... no longer a possibility... so I sit here and living vicariously through my wife and daughter... in the tundra of NJ. I do have a question? We are are big fans of geocaching (for those that don't participate... this is a recreational activity of locating hidden "treasures" via GPS units). Lots of fun and a great family activity... someone has told me that Disney frowns upon this activity in their parks... I would think they would promote it since it is a fun, family acitivity that promotes the outdoors and exercise... Does anyone have any comments on this? I think it would be a great activity for Disney to Sponser in their various parks..

NJ Camper
01-20-2008, 10:17 AM
I'm not surprised i asked about metal detecting in the campround and a week later they emailed me to tell me they won't allow it oh and by the way i'm with you in the stuck in NJ thing can't wait to visit agian Oct seems along way off:mickey:

Jillirose
01-20-2008, 10:21 AM
:look:Geocaching is a great pasttime, we do it all the time in northern MI. I would guess that it is a security issue - who knows what is in the caches? It may look like something dangerous to people not 'in the know'. Have you seen the hidden Mickeys book? We bought that last time, and enjoyed searching while at WDW.

NJ Camper
01-20-2008, 10:34 AM
Good idea this might be the closest to it you can get not exactly geo but can be fun also:thumbsup:

Polynesian Dweller
01-20-2008, 11:30 AM
Disney more than frowns on it, they've banned it except for virtuals. Unfortunately, somebody placed one without permission that caused a full emergency response and Disney went around and removed all of them.

Four years ago I was able to do several traditionals on the property and they led me to areas (open to the public) that I had never explored and might never had. I personally think it would be a great activity but it owuld take careful work with Disney. Unfortunately, its not likely to happen now.

IloveJack
01-21-2008, 08:53 AM
My DH was rather upset when he discovered that they are banned in WDW. He still took the GPS along, just to see if it would pick up a signal. He couldn't get a clear one in WS, so he left it in the room after that. He's just not a big virtual fan, and I don't blame him. After his getting me hooked, I'd rather actually find something, too! If you're driving, or renting a car, there seem to be quite a few just outside the property.

BuzzLiteYear
01-21-2008, 02:22 PM
Pardon my ignorance here, but what is a virtual? Would this be simply finding a location with nothing being left there (maybe a hidden mickey or something similar)?

KineGirl
01-21-2008, 03:32 PM
Pardon my ignorance here, but what is a virtual? Would this be simply finding a location with nothing being left there (maybe a hidden mickey or something similar)?

yep.. it just basically takes you to a particular location the geocaches thought was cool and needed to be seen. Its too bad, though semi understandable, Disney doesnt allow actual caches in the parks set out by who knows(??). Maybe if they had their own internal GPS thing like Pal Mickey is?? Then they could rent/sell Park GPS & do their own caches at various stores or other locations!

BuzzLiteYear
01-21-2008, 05:01 PM
Thanks!