PDA

View Full Version : Disney Book

kbean
01-20-2008, 09:35 AM
Not sure where to post this, but I'm looking for a good book about info on Disney parks about how they were built, hidden things about them, how they function, etc. I only find picture books more than info books. Can anyone help me out?

comicguy
01-20-2008, 10:06 AM
The Imagineer's Field Guides(MK and EP are awesome) (I have not gotten the AK one yet but I expect it be just as good) are great books.

They have some random facts, trivia and talk about the ideas that went into making particular rides and attractions.

Also I got for x-mas a book all about the "Disney Mountains"

EDIT: forgot to mention that the Disney Mountain book is jam packed with lots of information and pictures from Design to building of the rides. I am currently about half way throught it and it is simply great.

The Dave Smith Disney Trivia books (The Ultimate Disney Triva Book) are also good. Lots of trivia facts on the cartoons, movies, parks, and rides. This is a 3 vol set. I am not sure if it is still available or even if it has been updated, but I think I bought ours around 2003 or so.

DVD related. I would suggest: Modern Marvel: Disney World You can catch this on the History channel from time to time but they did release it on a DVD for the low price of 24.95(Amazon had it for 17.xx something before X-Mas), I bought one for my classroom, as we are going to be reading Kingdom Keepers by Ridley Pearson.

Jillirose
01-20-2008, 10:14 AM
I'm interested in seeing what people recommend. Last time, I picked up a book - The Imagineering Way (Ideas to Ignite Your Creativity) It is written by Imagineers and packed full of creative psychology and inspiring quotes. I found it at the Writer's Stop :mcoffee:(great books and coffee) at MGM. I think it was just behind the Sci-Fi Diner. They had several books there that fit your need - maybe give them a call. Sorry, I can't find the number.

Timekeeper
01-20-2008, 11:04 AM
I would personally recommend Walt Disney Imagineering: A Behind the Dreams Look at Making the Magic Real by the Imagineers. It has a wonderful overview of the different departments of imagineering and the methods it takes to go from concept to in-the-park. It also has tons of pictures from concept illustrations to poster designs.

I think this is another good one:
Designing Disney: Imagineering and the Art of the Show by John Hench
John Hench was one of the top Imagineering designers for the parks so this ought to be a good read. I haven't read it but i think it got good reviews.

And here is one more:
I found the title to this but I'm not sure exactly what it has etc. etc. since i haven't read it.

Designing Disney's Theme Parks: The Architecture of Reassurance by Karal Ann Marling

You could look up reviews of the last two books before making a purchase.

I hope this helps! :smickey:

LudwigVonDrake
01-20-2008, 11:12 AM
Besides the books listed, you might be able to find "Since the World Began" by Jeff Kurtii.

Plus there are "Pirates of the Caribbean: From the Magic Kingdom to the Movies" and "The Haunted Mansion: From the Magic Kingdom to the Movies" by Jason Surrell.

Also "Realityland: True-Life Adventures at Walt Disney World" by David Koening has information on the building of WDW.

Happy Reading!!! :read:

CaptainJessicaSparrow
01-20-2008, 11:41 AM
I also second the Walt Disney Imagineering book (the one with Sorcerer Mickey on the cover).

I read this in middle school, and I absolutely loved it. Part of what made me decide to come to work for Disney.

brownie
01-21-2008, 10:22 AM
Here are the books I recommend:

Walt Disney Imagineering by the Imagineers, copyright 1996, published by Disney Editions
Walt Disney's EPCOT Center by Richard R. Beard, copyright 1982, published by Harry N. Abrams
Gardens of the Walt Disney World Resort by Dee Hansford, copyright 1988, published by the Walt Disney Company
Designing Disney's Theme Parks: The Architecture of Reassurance by Karal Ann Marling, copyright 1997, published by Flammarion
Building a Dream: The Art of Disney Architecture by Beth Dunlop, copyright 1996, published by Harry N. Abrams
Secrets of Disney's Glorious Gardens by Kevin Markey, copyright 2006, published by Disney Editions
The Making of Disney's Animal Kingdom Theme Park by Melody Malmberg, copyright 1998, published by Hyperion
Disneyland Resort: Then, Now, & Forever by Bruce Gordon & Tim O'Day, copyright 2005, published by Disney Editions
Since the World Began: Walt Disney World the First 25 Years by Jeff Kurtti, copyright 1996, published by Hyperion
Designing Disney: Imagineering and the Art of Show by John Hench with Peggy VanPelt, copyright 2003, published by Disney Editions
Behind the Magic: 50 Years of Disneyland by Karal Ann Marling with Donna R. Braden, published by the Henry Ford
The Disney Mountains: Imagineering at Its Peak by Jason Surrell, copyright 2007, published by Disney Editions
Married to the Mouse: Walt Disney World and Orlando by Richard E. Foglesong, copyright 2001, published by Yale University Press
Walt's Revolution! By the Numbers by Harrison "Buzz" Price, published by Ripley Entertainment
Roller Coasters, Flumes and Flying Saucers by Robert R. Reynolds, copyright 1999, published by Northern Lights Publishing
The Imagineering Field Guide to the Magic Kingdom by the Imagineers, copyright 2005, published by Disney Editions
The Imagineering Field Guide to Epcot by the Imagineers, copyright 2006, published by Disney Editions
The Imagineering Field Guide to Disney's Animal Kingdom by the Imagineers, copyright 2007, published by Disney Editions
The Haunted Mansion: From the Magic Kingdom to the Movies by Jason Surrell, copyright 2003, published by Disney Editions
Pirates of the Caribbean: From the Magic Kingdom to the Movies by Jason Surrell, copyright 2005, published by Disney Editions
Be Our Guest: Perfecting the Art of Customer Service by the Disney Institute, copyright 2001, published by Disney Editions
Vinyl Leaves: Walt Disney World and America by Stephen Fjellman, copyright 1992, published by Westview Press
Disney A to Z: The Official Encyclopedia 3rd Edition by Dave Smith, copyright 2006, published by Disney Editions
Modern Marvels: Walt Disney World, 2006, the History Channel (DVD)

IloveDisney71
01-21-2008, 11:30 AM
The Imagineer's Field Guides(MK and EP are awesome) ...
I've read both of these. I've also read the one for the AK. They are filled with all sorts of information. I really enjoyed all of the interesting facts.